Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Is this a "Japanese is moonspeak" joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

Is this a "Japanese is moonspeak" joke?

Seriously, what's with the random Japanese all of a sudden? Has this been a trait these characters have had before that I just didn't notice until now?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 16, 2015

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Isn't this version of Moon Maid just a normal person some villain kidnapped and forced plastic surgery and hypnosis onto to make her think she was the original?

Maybe the hypnosis is wearing off and she's remembering her old life, and it turns out she's actually Japanese, so Mysta and Sparkle are dropping some misused words into their speech to be supportive. Maybe? Everybody knows what the actual situation is but she's still living in their house and wearing their dead mom's clothes, so I guess that whole family is just really Empathetic Comix.

Pooch Café

They're going to switch bodies, just like in my mangas! Sempai! Onee-chan! Uguu!

Ballard Street

Earmuffs like that don't actually reduce sound all that much, she's just making a point. The opinion in question is how low to set the AC at this time of year.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

RandomFerret posted:

Ballard Street

Earmuffs like that don't actually reduce sound all that much, she's just making a point. The opinion in question is how low to set the AC at this time of year.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

RandomFerret posted:

Isn't this version of Moon Maid just a normal person some villain kidnapped and forced plastic surgery and hypnosis onto to make her think she was the original?

Maybe the hypnosis is wearing off and she's remembering her old life, and it turns out she's actually Japanese, so Mysta and Sparkle are dropping some misused words into their speech to be supportive. Maybe? Everybody knows what the actual situation is but she's still living in their house and wearing their dead mom's clothes, so I guess that whole family is just really Empathetic Comix.
She's actually a former villain herself, having had the judges of a Moon Maid lookalike contest murdered when she lost it to Sparkle Plenty.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

That toilet even has doots in it, but Dana Simpson can't write "Princess Boogerface" in her cute unicorn comic.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Well, that's a letdown.

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

:byodood:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Kavak posted:

This is really happening, huh. Wonderful.

Same exact non joke. Fucker.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (June 17-18, 1957)

Peanuts: Year Two (September 15-17, 1952)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

How did they work out those odds? Because I don't think that's accurate at all.

Didn't she always have those?

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz
:what:

This is the dumbest Inspector Danger yet.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Pete and Darin were drawing Gen X jokes in high school? What year is it supposed to be in the Funkyverse, anyway?
The present. But it's also set about twenty years after Crankshaft, which is also set in the present.

Fyadophobic posted:

:doh: Ah, that's right! I forgot, the money rule applies to Judge Parker more so than it does to Rex Morgan.
The fat guy was a movie producer who loved making deals so much that he didn't even read the contract for turning Alan Parker's book into a movie before he signed it. Then they went fishing and accidentally found an illegal marijuana farm, which the movie producer bought to turn into a wind farm or something.

RandomFerret posted:

I don't think she's living with them, and I don't know what the random Japanese is about, but other than that, yes. She's continuing to live as Mysta because she doesn't remember who she used to be so she's just going with it.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Oh dear. I sense a heroic death incoming.

Big Ben Bolt

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

Larryb posted:

Seriously, what's with the random Japanese all of a sudden? Has this been a trait these characters have had before that I just didn't notice until now?

Current Dick Tracy has been really heavy-handed with the popular culture references at times. Is it Sailor Moon? Are they trying to reference Sailor Moon? That's the only think I can think of.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's some weird alien puberty metaphor. Those things on her head are supposed to represent boobs or something.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fyadophobic posted:

Current Dick Tracy has been really heavy-handed with the popular culture references at times. Is it Sailor Moon? Are they trying to reference Sailor Moon? That's the only think I can think of.

Thankfully we have the calm, reserved sanity of Locher era Tracy to balance it out.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Say Nothing posted:

I think it's some weird alien puberty metaphor. Those things on her head are supposed to represent boobs or something.

That's the way I see it, too. I remember her mentioning before, when asked why she didn't have antennae, she responded that she did but they were just "bumps" hidden by her bangs.

Jane's World

Non Sequitur

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Kliban

9 Chickweed Lane 6/17/2004

Zits

Kevin & Kell

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Can't she sue him for wasting her time with all these baseless C&D letters?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac

That's a lot of poo poo.

Poptropica

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Intelligent Life

Retail

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set returns lost property.

Working Daze is insufferable.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix fails at the box office.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

Out of 500 prisoners only one had bad vibes.

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

Waterboarding.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (April 18, 1928)

Peanuts (June 19, 1968)

Reader advisory: Today's Funky Winkerbean is just too excruciating to leave out in the open.

:suicide:

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (May 13-14, 1927)

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007

Little Billy, no. :(

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

It returns!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Can't wait to see more of the RENT comic strip.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Red Meat

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Fyadophobic posted:

Huuuurgh. Something about the way this artist draws the human body is just intensely repulsive, but I can't put my finger on what exactly it is. Brooke's art is bad, but I can let my eyes slide past it without absorbing too much ick. But somehow the way Working Days is drawn makes me look at it every time, even though I don't want to.

It's because the artist is drawing cartoony people, but is putting in so much cloth (and sometimes anatomy) detail they look like figure drawing practice wearing potato sacks.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All

Pearls Before Swine

Pros & Cons

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life

Slander - Barry is certainly all about the tights. I wish Barry was in a better strip. Maybe Rip Haywire or the Phantom.

In other news:

This Transendental Life

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life

Today's guest star - Shaved Ron Jeremy.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Pogo calls for the National Guard. (June 19, 1957)

Peanuts: Year Two reaches another turning point (September 18-21, 1952)

That's right, another first appearance. One of the big ones for those who are tracking the strip's transformation. Once Linus starts talking, we're well into Neurosisland. :allears:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

You have got to be loving kidding me.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

Man, I really love how detailed the facial expressions in this strip are. Mayor Wells' freakouts have been delightful.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Wow this comic is bad bad bad.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Hmm. That is a pickle. Have you considered going slow? Perhaps some kind of trial period?

Rex Morgan MD

Tomorrow: "Oh. There you are."

Secret Agent X-9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Je suis Mike

• Locked thread