Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Selane posted:

It's an ok list, but keep in mind that you should base your assessment of spells on how you're playing the game(full party, small party, solo, etc). Also whether you want a spellcaster to be doing offensive stuff or playing more of a support role.

Apropos, do you guys ever memorize any heal spell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Vicona is easy to find and you can get her as early as you want.

http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Viconia_DeVir

Oh duh, I forgot about Tiax! He's the best imo, I mean he's just a cleric thief, but that's pretty cool in bg1. He's right there in Bergerost. Vicona is better if you are powergaming, she can use ankheg armor and that super op mace.

Tiax can summon a ghoul though and just murder the basilisk map super early.

Washout fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 15, 2015

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Mystic Stylez posted:

Apropos, do you guys ever memorize any heal spell?

By late BG1, I like to rely on temples and potions for all my healing. You'll have piles of money, and who wants to waste time casting CLW eight times or whatever?

Early game a few healing spells are necessary, if only because a single bad roll can almost take out the tankiest characters around.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Washout posted:

Oh duh, I forgot about Tiax! He's the best imo, I mean he's just a cleric thief, but that's pretty cool in bg1. He's right there in Bergerost. Vicona is better if you are powergaming, she can use ankheg armor and that super op mace.

Nice i usually like to run 2 clerics, 2 mages, 1 thief and 1 warrior i can easily just drop a mage for dorn but if i get a cleric/thief that solves a lot.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Washout posted:

You're thinking about a modded game. Unmodded, Tiax is outside the Flaming Fist keep in Baldur's Gate.

Viconia is easy to get once you can handle random wolves (ie made it to the FAI) - if you just go up and down the left side of Peldvale, she will approach you. Until I could get Tiax on my ironman evil run, I used Branwen because she's TN.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Arivia posted:

You're thinking about a modded game. Unmodded, Tiax is outside the Flaming Fist keep in Baldur's Gate.

Viconia is easy to get once you can handle random wolves (ie made it to the FAI) - if you just go up and down the left side of Peldvale, she will approach you. Until I could get Tiax on my ironman evil run, I used Branwen because she's TN.

Ah yeah I always run the game with the big huge mod pack.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Smiling Knight posted:

By late BG1, I like to rely on temples and potions for all my healing. You'll have piles of money, and who wants to waste time casting CLW eight times or whatever?

Early game a few healing spells are necessary, if only because a single bad roll can almost take out the tankiest characters around.

So you use the characters' base healing when resting? Or just make lots of trips to temples/carry hundreds of potions?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Any reason to heal at a temple instead of sleeping at an inn?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

If you've correctly got rest until healed turned off; yes.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Goddamn i love how stealing gets the guards called but straight up murdering a dude is just 2 rep down. Totally digging my evil party, booted all the goodies and now we rescue cats from trees to keep the guards off our asses as we murder dudes for articles of clothing. If you keep montarion as your thief i suggest editing his lock pick skills to 60 because its annoying as hell having to pass up robbing the entire town because you need 100 more exp.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

fong posted:

So you use the characters' base healing when resting? Or just make lots of trips to temples/carry hundreds of potions?

Oh, if I'm seriously beat up before resting I'll switch spells around and just rest for 16 hours.

Late game I generally don't need to make too many temple stops. I can do big chunks of quests without taking too much damage, with exceptions like Delgrodel's battle horrors. I use temples instead of inns because I like to avoid too much resting just for rp reasons. Also, sometimes temples are more convenient: the temple of tymora is really close to a screen transition, so it's easy to get in and out.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Mystic Stylez posted:

Any reason to heal at a temple instead of sleeping at an inn?
If you've run into something that actually has a time limit then yeah. Most stuff isn't on a timer though. It was really nice of Irenicus to wait 3+ months for me to escape his dungeon since I decided to leave Jaheira (and Minsc) behind. And in 1EE Sarevok waited at least a month in his little hidey hole before I finished up the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion and then went to kill him. Such polite villains.

I've got to say I've enjoyed picking up Anomen, dude's side quest is hilarious so far, particularly when he just straight up murders his father's enemy's daughter. Hopefully I can keep him behaving well with Hexxat around.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Smiling Knight posted:

Oh, if I'm seriously beat up before resting I'll switch spells around and just rest for 16 hours.

Late game I generally don't need to make too many temple stops. I can do big chunks of quests without taking too much damage, with exceptions like Delgrodel's battle horrors. I use temples instead of inns because I like to avoid too much resting just for rp reasons. Also, sometimes temples are more convenient: the temple of tymora is really close to a screen transition, so it's easy to get in and out.

I tend to avoid excessive resting for RP reasons as well, though I do not hit up temples too much except for perhaps raising the dead. One thing that I do try to avoid is resting in dungeons, because that makes no sense. Out in one of the many open-air overworld maps is a night under the stars, but getting 8 hours of peace in a cave/dungeon/castle full of nasties is rather unfathomable. I tend to be overlevelled for these things, but since I more or less force myself to clear the whole thing in one go, it balances out.

My experience is that the amount of in-game time in BG1, at least for me, ends up being fairly realistic. Given the plot, which largely involves politics and inter-city tension, it feels right that getting from fresh out of Candlekeep to dead Sarevok takes some months.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

JustJeff88 posted:

I tend to avoid excessive resting for RP reasons as well, though I do not hit up temples too much except for perhaps raising the dead. One thing that I do try to avoid is resting in dungeons, because that makes no sense. Out in one of the many open-air overworld maps is a night under the stars, but getting 8 hours of peace in a cave/dungeon/castle full of nasties is rather unfathomable. I tend to be overlevelled for these things, but since I more or less force myself to clear the whole thing in one go, it balances out.

My experience is that the amount of in-game time in BG1, at least for me, ends up being fairly realistic. Given the plot, which largely involves politics and inter-city tension, it feels right that getting from fresh out of Candlekeep to dead Sarevok takes some months.

That, and I also try to sleep once every day unless a quest seems urgent. My guys need their beauty sleep.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Nycticeius posted:

That, and I also try to sleep once every day unless a quest seems urgent. My guys need their beauty sleep.

Forced marches of 10 days without rest, stopping only to fight and die. My pixel-man will EARN his God-hood.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Parts Kit posted:

If you've run into something that actually has a time limit then yeah. Most stuff isn't on a timer though. It was really nice of Irenicus to wait 3+ months for me to escape his dungeon since I decided to leave Jaheira (and Minsc) behind. And in 1EE Sarevok waited at least a month in his little hidey hole before I finished up the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion and then went to kill him. Such polite villains.

I've got to say I've enjoyed picking up Anomen, dude's side quest is hilarious so far, particularly when he just straight up murders his father's enemy's daughter. Hopefully I can keep him behaving well with Hexxat around.

Well, with his alignment change to Chaotic Neutral, that shouldn't be a problem unless you hit rep 1, which is inadvisable at all times. I don't *THINK* there's a built-in fight between them, but I could be wrong. Now if you had gone for the good resolution, that might have been different. (Plus the good reward is much better.)

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

For the next 17 hours,

Baldur's Gate I: Enhanced Edition, 50% off - http://store.steampowered.com/app/228280/

Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition, 66% off - http://store.steampowered.com/app/257350/

Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition, 66% off - http://store.steampowered.com/app/321800/

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Welp so apparently some quests have timers which aren't shown and edwin constantly wants to leave and for some reason the lady i'm supposed to kill isn't spawning. I currently have him dead so he can't leave but i cleared out the gnoll stronghold and theres no characters there to rescue/kill.

Is there a way to edit the save so he stays?

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
She's there, just down in one of the pits and you won't be able to see her until you go all the way down to the bottom.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Who the hell thought it was a good idea to add time sensitive quests without goddamn timers or warnings? The party bitches all the time how are you supposed to know that THIS time is the last straw?

If i can't get edwin to stay i might just take a break from these games shits frustrating when you have no possible way to get to the destination in time even with prior saves.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

There are mods that prevent them from leaving, so you could install that temporarily. Even though you're in bg1 download the bg2 tweak pack and then you can only install the things you want, including removing timers from quests etc.

Also welcome to what gaming was like in the 90's! BG1 was actually known at the time for being fairly easy going. Certainly it's easier than any of the gold box games.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Edwin should complain several times before he even thinks of leaving, and in theory none of the scripts should break if you're playing BG1EE, in theory. :v:

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Yep really have to get right in that ladies face to see her, killed her rezzed edwin and now everything is good! Gonna kill mr crazy wizard and drop him to get that drow wizard once i'm lvl 5--kinda wish i had a better evil rogue but montarion will have to do. Its a shame you can't turn imoen into an evil lady.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

As a rule of thumb, if a companion tells you that they need to do something when you meet them or hire them, expect it to be on a timer.

I've never seen them leave without giving you plenty of notice save in one really unusual circumstance, but I guess any script can break occasionally. (The odd circumstance was when my entire party was beat up, I had no living healer, and I forgot to turn off 'rest until healed'. Queue the party resting something like twenty days.)

Also, the game designers expected you to explore literally everywhere. There are things hidden all over the place you wouldn't expect, like the ring of wizardry outside FAA and the ankheg plate buried on a farm. Another example would be the Tome of Leadership and Influence (gives a permanent +1 charisma) hidden on the gnoll stronghold map you JUST cleared.

Taliesyn fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jun 17, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Taliesyn posted:

Also, the game designers expected you to explore literally everywhere. There are things hidden all over the place you wouldn't expect, like the ring of wizardry outside FAA and the ankheg plate buried on a farm. Another example would be the Tome of Leadership and Influence (gives a permanent +1 charisma) hidden on the gnoll stronghold map you JUST cleared.

These are pretty different since the Ring of Wizardry and Ankheg plate are items you could get early on by pixel-hunting (BG1's engine didn't have tab to highlight), whereas the Tome is just in an easily-accessible cave.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Yeah i have the wiki open and check every zone i go into because some of these stashes are loving absurd and i honestly don't see how you'd spot them without some cheats or days of game time. I was always a fan of the weird things drawing your eye, that single dead tree amongst the living trees holding a chest or something. Even when i know the exact coordinates it still takes me a few minutes to find the loving pixels haha.

You know what this game desperately loving needs? COLLECT ALL like dungeon siege had--just had an epic battle? enjoy the experience as your dudes run around picking up all that poo poo off the floor!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Arghy posted:

Even when i know the exact coordinates it still takes me a few minutes to find the loving pixels haha.

Hold the tab key.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Just picked up two copies of BGEE2 for a friend and me. I want to introduce them to the joy of BG by playing through the story with them. Are there any good mods that are compatible with the Expanded Edition?

I know I asked about good mods, but has anyone tried to get the BWP to work with the Expanded Edition?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I haven't and never will play BWP, but there's a version of it compatible with EE.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arghy posted:

You know what this game desperately loving needs? COLLECT ALL like dungeon siege had--just had an epic battle? enjoy the experience as your dudes run around picking up all that poo poo off the floor!

Collect all is a terrible idea, there's always poo poo you don't want. But, when you get to BG2:EE try clicking on the red gem in the interface when you're standing next to a pile of corpses for a much better looting interface.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

These are pretty different since the Ring of Wizardry and Ankheg plate are items you could get early on by pixel-hunting (BG1's engine didn't have tab to highlight), whereas the Tome is just in an easily-accessible cave.

Honestly, without using a guide, that cave is surprisingly easy to miss. That whole part of the map can be, since people get focused on the stronghold itself.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Arivia posted:

Collect all is a terrible idea, there's always poo poo you don't want. But, when you get to BG2:EE try clicking on the red gem in the interface when you're standing next to a pile of corpses for a much better looting interface.

This is also a feature in the latest patch for BG1:EE.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Holy loving poo poo tab and that red diamond ARE AMAZING. These things should be mentioned multiple times in the beginning of the loving game.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Haven't played EE in forever, what's the red diamond do?

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

Haven't played EE in forever, what's the red diamond do?

Displays all the loot in an area, lets you get it and the character automatically walks over to pick it up.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Lets you choose the different loot you want to, just killed 40 xvarts? gently caress 40 short swords just keep clicking the gold!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Arghy posted:

Lets you choose the different loot you want to, just killed 40 xvarts? gently caress 40 short swords just keep clicking the gold!

I have often wished that BG had a magical equivalent of that little doodad from System Shock 2 (whose name I forget and can't be arsed to look up) that turns ordinary items into what is basically cash. Even if it were only 1 gold for a short sword, every little bit helps early in the game. I have never understood people who act as if money pours from the taps in BG, because there is a ton of stuff to buy and I always seem to find myself hard up.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

I have often wished that BG had a magical equivalent of that little doodad from System Shock 2 (whose name I forget and can't be arsed to look up) that turns ordinary items into what is basically cash. Even if it were only 1 gold for a short sword, every little bit helps early in the game. I have never understood people who act as if money pours from the taps in BG, because there is a ton of stuff to buy and I always seem to find myself hard up.

Hmmm, it's because there are shitloads of easy to get secret items, so if you know where they are money almost literally rains from the sky. If you have 60+ open locks on -charname- you can get 2k gold in candlekeep before you even leave. And there are hidden items on the first 3 maps you visit worth at least 3k, maybe more. If you know how to kill Drizzt you can do it pretty easily even at level 1 etc. Go get the wand of monster summoning near the jelly wizard, come back save right after Drizzt kills the gnolls but before talking to him or letting him walk away, summon a bunch of stuff with the wand until you get 2 groups of hobs with bows and go to town.

Even the best weapon in Bg1 is a hidden item that is no risk whatsoever to get before you even reach Nashkil.

Washout fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 18, 2015

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Goddamn sorcs with the ring of wizardry are pretty loving boss--totally going to do a sorc for my caster game. Just wish poo poo stacked so i could wear multiple protection and wizardry poo poo haha, 30 lv1 spells WHY YES PLEASE. Also haste..... currently got my blackguard and dorn as my tanks with -6/-5 AC each and a ton of protection poo poo, throw haste into the mix and poo poo just dies. Does 19 str give you 500 carrying capacity or is dorn special? gently caress those bugs with 500gp shells that weigh 100lbs! If thats the case i'll likely just give all melee chars 19 str just so i can carry poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

19 str is the same as a hill giant, so yeah. But if you are going to cheat your stats up just for gold there is really no reason to bother, gold is really easy to get so don't worry about it.