Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Update's up!

Is JohnxTerezi hatemacking really going to be a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

quote:

CALLIOPE: he has a cape now?
JOHN: not anymore.
:smugbert:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

That was fun! Question about this bit:

ROSE: I wonder what sturdy and time-tested narrative construct Jade is going to debunk whenever she wakes up. Maybe she will lay waste to the notion of endgame ships?
ROSE: Karkat won't be happy about that.

Does Rose mean that Karkat won't be happy because he was hoping for a relationship with Jade, or does she mean that Karkat won't be happy if he loses whatever the heck it is he and Dave have?

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

ROSE: I wonder what sturdy and time-tested narrative construct Jade is going to debunk whenever she wakes up. Maybe she will lay waste to the notion of endgame ships?

Does Rose mean that Karkat won't be happy because he was hoping for a relationship with Jade, or does she mean that Karkat won't be happy if he loses whatever the heck it is he and Dave have?

I just took it to mean that Karkat likes romantic movies and will be upset if the whole thing doesn't end up with everyone hooking up appropriately.

But I am an idiot so what do I know

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's just because Karkat is a fan of romance stories, I think so "who ends up with who" is something he has pretty ingrained into his idea of how the world works.

John and Roxy remain the best characters, though Roxy seems to actually like the horrific cat-monster that has subsumed OG Rose, so that's a strike against her.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Prison Warden posted:

John and Roxy remain the best characters, though Roxy seems to actually like the horrific cat-monster that has subsumed OG Rose, so that's a strike against her.

John and Roxy are definitely the nicest, but I love many of the others (Kanaya, Terezi) for their edge or (Dave dave dave) their wit.

e: I'm sure that "Karkat expects everybody to pair up at the end of the movie" is the right interpretation.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Wow, Callie really does suck the fun out of things.

She's like a Fun Rainbow Drinker. She doesn't suck all different hues on the hemospectrum, she just sucks.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

kurona_bright posted:

Update's up!

It's p funny that Terezi is repulsed by the same thing that made Vriska attracted to him.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Is "Yeah, he's garbage" the harshest thing we've ever heard John say?

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
He ranted some pretty cruel things at Dave Sprite after a birthday prank.

edit: starting here

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Duodecimal posted:

He has a SKELETON BUTT, Callie!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Duodecimal posted:

edit: starting here

Thank you for that link. I'd forgotten that awesome meltdown.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ROXY: (yoo troll grouch... john is so nice agh its fuckin me up)
TEREZI: (1 KNOW)
TEREZI: (1T'S D1SGUST1NG)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

John appears to be filling up quadrants fast.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I'm glad Terezi at least owns.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

John appears to be filling up quadrants fast.

The old Egbert/Crocker genes acting up.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

MonsieurChoc posted:

The old Egbert/Crocker genes acting up.

Now we just need him to get in between Rose and Jasprosesprite^2 and he'll be all filled out.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Thank you for that link. I'd forgotten that awesome meltdown.

Yeah, but this isn't a meltdown. This is just baseline John and he's saying it so casually.

If you hate one thing in the universe, that's a good one to hate.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Wait who is his diamond

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Grapplejack posted:

Wait who is his diamond

Dave?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Terezi raises an interesting question: do the kids really find Callie cute or are they just being nice?
On the one hand, it doesn't make sense for them to know that she has specifically issues with her appearance and to try to help her with that, especially people like John who have never talked with her before.
On the other hand...well, she is a skeleton monster.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sometimes I forget that Callie's head isn't just skull-shaped. The clicky clacky grumbling sounds from that fake Vine thing a while back was a nice reminder.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

paradoxGentleman posted:

Terezi raises an interesting question: do the kids really find Callie cute or are they just being nice?
On the one hand, it doesn't make sense for them to know that she has specifically issues with her appearance and to try to help her with that, especially people like John who have never talked with her before.

Jumping spiders are cute, but I would never even think of macking on one. Does that answer your question?

There are a lot of potential secondary meanings to calling someone cute, but they don't all apply all the time.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

paradoxGentleman posted:

I think John is right; friendly skeleton monsters are quite charming. Skeletons aren't that scary in the grand scheme of things, anyway; after all... there's a skeleton inside you RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Alabaster White posted:

after all... there's a skeleton inside you RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!

Jesus christ dude some things are just too real to post.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Sometimes I forget that Callie's head isn't just skull-shaped. The clicky clacky grumbling sounds from that fake Vine thing a while back was a nice reminder.

The art style's kinda inconsistent about that. Sometimes it's an actual green skull, sometimes they have lips and eyelids when the comic needs them to make a facial expression.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

Jasprosesprite had no filter and she thought Callie looked cute. But I wouldn't at all be surprised if Roxy and Jane told everyone that Calliope was insecure about her appearance before Rox left and everyone is being nice. They're bringing it up an awful lot for it to be casual.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 18, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

paradoxGentleman posted:

Agreed, it all feels too Saturday morning cartoony, everyone gets a long and nobody has any problems. On the other hand, I'd hate to see the comic get sidetracked for a month or two with one person being a jerk and the rest of the gang having to teach them An Important Lesson about how She's Beautiful On The Inside.

See also my complaint about everyone popping boners for John's hot fat teen mom.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Does Jasprosesprite really seem like the kind of being to lie at all?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Terezi is the nicest one for her sincere recognition of the true advantage of having a skull for a head.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I think Calliope is legit cute though. Same goes for Caliborn, especially when he's laughing about murder or something. It's the eyelashes. :3:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Fister Roboto posted:

Agreed, it all feels too Saturday morning cartoony, everyone gets a long and nobody has any problems. On the other hand, I'd hate to see the comic get sidetracked for a month or two with one person being a jerk and the rest of the gang having to teach them An Important Lesson about how She's Beautiful On The Inside.

See also my complaint about everyone popping boners for John's hot fat teen mom.

I have said it (more than) once, I will say it again: I think this happens because we are reading these upd8s at the slow rhythm they are produced. If Homestuck was over, you would blaze through both Hot Mom Appreciation Central and Ugly But Actually Beautiful Cherub Support Group in about five minutes and regard them as jokes falling flat at the very worst.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

I have said it (more than) once, I will say it again: I think this happens because we are reading these upd8s at the slow rhythm they are produced. If Homestuck was over, you would blaze through both Hot Mom Appreciation Central and Ugly But Actually Beautiful Cherub Support Group in about five minutes and regard them as jokes falling flat at the very worst.

This is basically it. Things feel like they take a lot longer when read at the pace of new updates. A lot of the stuff I thought was insufferable about Act 6 turned out to not be such a huge deal when I went back and read through it archivally. The Everyone Loves Jake section, for instance, was a lot more tolerable and even made sense from a character standpoint.

I just wish Jake hadn't turned into yet another character who exists to be pathetic, because I found myself enjoying his clueless dumbfuck bravado.

Todays update - I hope its cool Vriska chewing Meenah out for being a loving weirdo creep that dates 13 year olds.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I keep reminding myself that many things that happen before the climax are not, actually, foreshadowing, but are just snippets of conversation. Remember that, self!

That said, Rose's business about romances not being the endgame of endgame is a good idea, because all the characters are mid-adolescence. Sixteen is not the age at which most of us date our true loves, those of us that have them. Most of the characters don't seem to think that way, either.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

paradoxGentleman posted:

Many of us have tried to explain this. Give up. Most of these people are worthless sacks of poo poo and it turns out that 10 dollars is not the filter everyone thought it was.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I keep reminding myself that many things that happen before the climax are not, actually, foreshadowing, but are just snippets of conversation. Remember that, self!

That said, Rose's business about romances not being the endgame of endgame is a good idea, because all the characters are mid-adolescence. Sixteen is not the age at which most of us date our true loves, those of us that have them. Most of the characters don't seem to think that way, either.

How many people here dated anybody at all at sixteen though
:goonsay:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

paradoxGentleman posted:

I'm sure that's the case, but I don't think I'd ever have the patience to read through this dumb comic again.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Better question is how many people have actually dated at sixteen and had a relationship that last longer than two months? The only reason Rose and Kanaya have been going on for as long as they have been is probably just because there was nothing else to get in the way during the three years on a hunk of rock.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Renaissance Robot posted:

I sure didn't, but it was because of my skull head and I will thank you not to draw attention to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

kurona_bright posted:

There's always the hilarious possibility of John trying so hard to avoid a blackrom with Terezi that he goes too far in the opposite direction and ends up in a redrom.

That would destroy Karkat's shipping diagram so hard the resulting rant would almost-certainly be the best thing in Homestuck :allears: