Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I came across some art recently that really loving inspired me:

http://imgur.com/gallery/qk8Q2 Beksinki

https://waynebarlowe.wordpress.com/artwork/hell/ Barlowe

You could very easily take either of those as inspiration and make a loving baller as poo poo Doom game. Barlowe in particular gets really deep into his own fictional Hell world, he details buildings and social systems and different species living in hell and all KINDS of loving brilliant wicked evil alien satanic poo poo.

I mean loving look at this:

But of course we can't have anything nearly that artistic in commercial videogames.
Although, I think Dark Souls took some clear inspiration from Beksinki and may be part of what makes Dark Souls so creepy and unique and cool.

Keep in mind that "art" in modern video games is an assembly line process. It's not a bunch of guys in Texas finding Adrian Carmack and wow he's a good artist, they're hiring graduates from art colleges with no particular talent or insight, who execute standardized styles in a workmanlike way for (this is the important part) extremely low pay. There's very little actual art involved. If you did hire Wayne Barlowe as Doom 3's art director, the actual visual assets workers would likely have no idea what to do with his designs and just go with the styles that have been drilled into them instead.

This is compounded by the fact that every single asset goes through many, many hands on its way to being a finished part of the game. Adrian Carmack and Kevin Cloud did everything themselves. A Doom 4 art asset requires dozens of plug-in beep boop Photoshop and Lightwave robots doing exactly what they've been trained to do, nothing more, nothing less.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Woolie Wool posted:

Keep in mind that "art" in modern video games is an assembly line process. It's not a bunch of guys in Texas finding Adrian Carmack and wow he's a good artist, they're hiring graduates from art colleges with no particular talent or insight, who execute standardized styles in a workmanlike way for (this is the important part) extremely low pay. There's very little actual art involved. If you did hire Wayne Barlowe as Doom 3's art director, the actual visual assets workers would likely have no idea what to do with his designs and just go with the styles that have been drilled into them instead.

This is compounded by the fact that every single asset goes through many, many hands on its way to being a finished part of the game. Adrian Carmack and Kevin Cloud did everything themselves. A Doom 4 art asset requires dozens of plug-in beep boop Photoshop and Lightwave robots doing exactly what they've been trained to do, nothing more, nothing less.

Yeah, I know. You're 100% right. I just... I lament.

Like I said though Dark Souls uses some Beksinki style, you can totally do some cool artistic poo poo, its just most studios aren't trying. They're maximizing profits, yeah. But there are a few studios that seem to give a poo poo, at least.

The second point isn't lost on me. Early games like Mortal Kombat had a handful of programmers even. I'm a software developer, now the teams are all dozens of people, some companies like Blizzard have more than 50 developers on a single team, its loving insane. And it makes it harder to do really creative poo poo. But it can be done. Maybe more with smaller teams or indie.

Bloodborne had some really fantastic art imagery and original style, if FROM can do it anybody can. :colbert:

That's also why John Carmack was pushing technology to enable artists more with his last days at Id, the ultimate goal of megatextures was to free artists to be able to add detail wherever they wanted without having to worry about how it effected the rest of the development pipeline or the performance. And the latest IdTech has stuff where multiple people can work on the same map in conjunction, to cut down on development time and hurdles for multiple people to work on the same level.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 18, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I think Doom 4 would have been a better game if they just farmed it out to a small developer and told them to use Id Tech 1 as a starting point (not a Doom II level pack, actually writing new code and making a new game, but using the old engine) but of course they would never do such a thing in a million years. It worked great for Capcom, as I observed earlier in the thread.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Woolie Wool posted:

I think Doom 4 would have been a better game if they just farmed it out to a small developer and told them to use Id Tech 1 as a starting point (not a Doom II level pack, actually writing new code and making a new game, but using the old engine)
Jesus loving christ I am one of the biggest Doom grognards around and even I think this is ludicrous

Also: this is largely what brutal doom is :smugmrgw:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Well I wouldn't really expect miracles from that either, but then I never really saw the need for a Doom 4 at all. :shrug:

But at least a small company with a small budget would have more of a chance to do something creative, and the less asset fidelity they need, the better.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Your method might have resulted in Doom 4 having a single unique idea in it, so I'd say it's better than what we've seen so far.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
I just want the cacodemons to be red again.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

MONKET posted:

I just want the cacodemons to be red again.

nice, i want a sexy woman to suck my pen0r until i shoot long ropes of white cum

Bread Pudding
Aug 7, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

Well I wouldn't really expect miracles from that either, but then I never really saw the need for a Doom 4 at all. :shrug:
I just want a good new game from iD. I don't want to believe that Doom was one of a kind and they'll never do anything like it again. :smith:

On a related note, what's Raven up to? I haven't seen a game from them since Wolfenstein 2009. Surely they got some plans for Hexen 3 or a Heretic sequel that isn't a third person platformer. This would be the perfect time, too.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
Barlowe worked on Dante's inferno and some other game I forget and both looked like poo poo bc there's an enormous difference between a painting and a video game. Not that it can't be done, translating cool concept art into cool visuals, Japanese devs for some reason are much better at it, but it requires more than just cool concept art.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Bread Pudding posted:

I just want a good new game from iD. I don't want to believe that Doom was one of a kind and they'll never do anything like it again. :smith:

On a related note, what's Raven up to? I haven't seen a game from them since Wolfenstein 2009. Surely they got some plans for Hexen 3 or a Heretic sequel that isn't a third person platformer. This would be the perfect time, too.

Activision has them making Call of Duty mappacks. Man, a new Heretic or Hexen from them would be so cool.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

loga mira posted:

Barlowe worked on Dante's inferno and some other game I forget and both looked like poo poo bc there's an enormous difference between a painting and a video game. Not that it can't be done, translating cool concept art into cool visuals, Japanese devs for some reason are much better at it, but it requires more than just cool concept art.

Oh poo poo really?

:negative:

Well so much for that.

I was never saying it was just concept art though, dunno where the heck you were getting that from. I was just saying I wanted Doom to be creative, and then gave examples of creative depictions of hell that aren't just standard videogame fare.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Bread Pudding posted:

Apparently they've been teasing a sequel to Singularity on Twitter, which was the last game they made before Activision put them to work on Call of Duty multiplayer content.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

C.M. Kruger posted:

Apparently they've been teasing a sequel to Singularity on Twitter, which was the last game they made before Activision put them to work on Call of Duty multiplayer content.

They also showed a bunch oh Hexen stuff, there was a Raven 25th Anniversary logo in the corner and I think it turned out to be a celebration of their anniversary with things like Singularity multiplayer. I hope it's something more, but I doubt it.

Edit: Yeah, their Twitter has #RVN25 tag on their Singularity post, as well as Hexen posts, Jedi Outcast, Call of Duty stuff, X-Men Legends, Black Crypt... It doesn't mean anything as far as new games are concerned.

catlord fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 18, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

loga mira posted:

Not that it can't be done, translating cool concept art into cool visuals, Japanese devs for some reason are much better at it, but it requires more than just cool concept art.
What Japanese devs are you thinking of?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
They should have given it to Machinegames, because that studio at least has two very nice shooters in the past few years. All id has in 2015 is a name.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Zaphod42 posted:

Which is scarier?

Doom 4 cyberdemon

or this:

:stonk:

Oh come on, the original Cyberdemon is also a thing with stompy legs and a rocket launcher for an arm, it's not scary either.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
The original cyberdemon was scary too in it's own massive, imposing, rocket-launcher-to-the-face way

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCigiEuRvrA The ideal Doom 4.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Wrong music for the map, gonna have to dock a few points.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

:laffo:

Looks like it belongs in the Bad Architecture thread in GBS.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Man Unreal 4 is a beautiful graphics engine though.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Human language does not have words to convey how repulsive this is. :barf:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

Human language does not have words to convey how repulsive this is. :barf:

I can't decide if it's better or worse than that really bad Doom 3 one.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the imps are made out of brownies

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I'd play this.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In og doom cyberdemon's arm is a red herring and it actually fires rockets from its dick. if that's not frightening then I don't know what to tell you

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 18, 2015

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Took me a few days to catch up on everything that's been said. I'll just say I'm generally feeling positive about Doom 4; although I have several reservations, most of which have already been raised in this thread, I still think it looks like it'd be a fun ride to go on. I mean, it's not my ideal of "just Doom 2 verbatim, mechanically, but with Quake-ish level design and a drat sight prettier by modern standards", but I never honestly expected it would be, and for what it is, well, it's more in line with what I want than what I don't want.

As far as "they should just make another retro FPS" goes, though, wasn't it the case a few months ago that 3DRealms was looking for talented Build Engine mappers/modders...?

arcsig
May 29, 2015

What the gently caress

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

NWS that poo poo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

My eyes! My goddamn eyes!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi

Woolie Wool posted:

This is not really true for ID. They're a lot bigger now, but they're still small enough that ownership for an asset usually falls on a single person.
Not every aspect of an asset to the same person of course, a character is modeled, rigged, animated and coded by four separate people, but each aspect usually belongs to one.
A set of environment modules is usually put together by one person, who has quite a lot of influence over the look. Also it's seriously unfair towards the artists to claim that if Barlowe art-directed they wouldn't be able to output his designs.
Though of course art direction and final lighting and effects are the people with the most impact on the final look of the game, so if one wants to be a sociopath one could easily pin the "blame" on a single person.

Castlevania: Lord Of Shadow had parts near the end of the game that looked exactly like a Beksinski painting. That game had amazing art direction overall, well worth playing through for the visuals.
In my opinion neither Beksinski nor Barlowe are very Doom, but they're hella cool anyway!

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I'm just annoyed by the everything-is-brown honestly. If they'd actually use color I'd be excited. And if it comes out looking a bit off because of lack of radiosity... who cares!? It's Hell, it SHOULD look a little off!

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

The gibs look more satisfying than the stuff in the actual Doom 4 reveal trailer.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Shadow Hog posted:

Took me a few days to catch up on everything that's been said. I'll just say I'm generally feeling positive about Doom 4; although I have several reservations, most of which have already been raised in this thread, I still think it looks like it'd be a fun ride to go on. I mean, it's not my ideal of "just Doom 2 verbatim, mechanically, but with Quake-ish level design and a drat sight prettier by modern standards", but I never honestly expected it would be, and for what it is, well, it's more in line with what I want than what I don't want.

As far as "they should just make another retro FPS" goes, though, wasn't it the case a few months ago that 3DRealms was looking for talented Build Engine mappers/modders...?

The new 3DR and iD are two different things. 3DR is much smaller, which gives them wiggle room to do more experimental things like make new 2.5 FPSD games. iD is just a branch of a very large and public corporation, which has shareholders putting pressure on them to make the most money possible. A new and modern Doom game has far larger sales potential than a new Doom engine game meant to appeal to grognards.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I liked the part in the helltrailer where the skelton mans jetpack went hogwild and he started spinning around and then flew away and exploded

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

They did in the 90s.

Unfortunately they seem to have fired everybody at Id that has owned a gun ever and replaced them with people who have only played Halo.

loving killing me how lovely the shotgun is in the trailer.

It's a balance issue.

The weapons do 2-3 times less damage because there will be 2-3 times less enemies, so the enemies need to be 2-3 times tougher, that's why the weapons seem to do less damage.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The only thing that bugged me about the weapons is that their animations need to be exaggerated. It's like a year from release so they could be tweaked a bunch until then.

Zzulu posted:

I liked the part in the helltrailer where the skelton mans jetpack went hogwild and he started spinning around and then flew away and exploded

I want to say this is one of my favorite video game tropes but now I can't actually think of when that has happened. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The only thing that bugged me about the weapons is that their animations need to be exaggerated. It's like a year from release so they could be tweaked a bunch until then.

I want to say this is one of my favorite video game tropes but now I can't actually think of when that has happened. :psyduck:

Just Cause 2, with those little tanks of gas/CO?