Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

bull3964 posted:

That's all it ever was, they're just upfront about it now.

Part of it has to do with support. You have an issue with your phone that you bought at a carrier store, you take it into the carrier store and they resolve it for you. Your google bought Nexus 6 shits the bed, you better hope you have a spare phone to use while Google ships you a new device.

Selection is also slimmer. You can usually get carrier unlocked flagships, but if you can't afford one, it's harder to get.

Also, people don't know what the hell they are doing and need to be pointed to a phone by a salesperson.

These are all reasons why the current situation exist. A lot of them would be resolved by manufacturers opening up their own stores. I just had a fantastic experience with Microsoft. My SP3 was having an issue with the LCD and even though I had owned it for 11 months and originally bought it at best buy, they swapped it out at the Microsoft store in the mall no questions asked with a new unit. Currently, only Apple can supply that kind of post sales support in phones. Samsung is trying with their Best Buy stores, but I don't know much about how they handle their customers to know if they are really successful.

Really, carriers just need to get out of the hardware business altogether. You don't walk into a Comcast location and buy a TV to watch your programming on, there's really no reason why the same should be happening with phones right now. It's a holdover of a legacy sales model before cell phones were commodity electronics and it's also being driven by carriers wanting to minimize the friction people have with service.

This is a great post and I really wish Google would tell OEMs to gently caress off and make Android a Google only affair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

bull3964 posted:

A lot of them would be resolved by manufacturers opening up their own stores. I just had a fantastic experience with Microsoft. My SP3 was having an issue with the LCD and even though I had owned it for 11 months and originally bought it at best buy, they swapped it out at the Microsoft store in the mall no questions asked with a new unit.

Just think, if you bought a Lumia, you could do the same thing with your phone.

I didn't realize there was such a thing as a Microsoft store.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

bull3964 posted:

Really, carriers just need to get out of the hardware business altogether. You don't walk into a Comcast location and buy a TV to watch your programming on, there's really no reason why the same should be happening with phones right now. It's a holdover of a legacy sales model before cell phones were commodity electronics and it's also being driven by carriers wanting to minimize the friction people have with service.

Carriers hate the idea of being a dumb pipe though. Just look at comcast buying NBCU and Verizon buying aol.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Samsung has area's in Best Buy's that are actually pretty drat helpful if you have a Samsung device like the vast majority of Android users do.

Too bad Best Buy will probably be out of business in a few years or whatever.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Mooktastical posted:

So goons, my family has a Verizon contract that's up for upgrade some time next month. What 'free' phone should I recommend? Droid Turbos for all?

The Turbo is a fantastic phone all-around, so yes.

Only two areas I'd ding it for against Galaxy S6 is camera quality and the lack of fingerprint scanner (it's an unqualified plus now that it's not a finicky swipe button like the S5/Note4), and makes up for it with another 50% of battery life.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 17, 2015

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Samsung has area's in Best Buy's that are actually pretty drat helpful if you have a Samsung device like the vast majority of Android users do.

Too bad Best Buy will probably be out of business in a few years or whatever.

I used to work in the SAMSUNG EXPERIENCE SHOP as a consultant, pretty good gig that was pretty fun. Got to try out the new devices a few weeks early and the sales training wasn't half bad for retail.

Best Buy has actually been doing a lot better in the last year or two.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

RZA Encryption posted:

I really wish Google would tell OEMs to gently caress off and make Android a Google only affair.

Why? How would that affect your Google experience in any way?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

Why? How would that affect your Google experience in any way?

You know all those things apple does better? Google could start doing them that way, too.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

RZA Encryption posted:

You know all those things apple does better? Google could start doing them that way, too.
Yeah, Apple devices never have security vulnerabilities

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

The Merkinman posted:

Yeah, Apple devices never have security vulnerabilities

The point is that Apple has iron-fist control over updates for iOS. There's no OEM influence to gently caress things up.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

RZA Encryption posted:

How are OEMs preventing Google from doing so?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Desk Lamp posted:

How are OEMs preventing Google from doing so?

Google can't push updates to OEM devices. Carriers are in the way too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Super Dude posted:

Even play store devices can get blocked by carriers.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Super Dude posted:

Again, how does OEMs existing affect Nexus devices? There's nothing stopping Google OR OEMs from providing a more Apple like experience except themselves. Carriers are an obstacle, but not an insurmountable one.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 20, 2018

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

bronin posted:

Yeah but only SwiftKey on Samsung phones is affected so I guess Samsung hosed it up somehow.

From the analysis I've seen:

Basically SwiftKey had (has?) a problem in that it insecurely downloads archives that contain language info.
One could probably use that to change all completion to be obscenity or something like that. Bad, but not
horrible.

However, Samsung installed the keyboard with ultra-high "System" privileges (which it hardly needs), with which it turns out it can be
tricked into overwriting some system services with arbitrary dangerous code.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

OddObserver posted:

However, Samsung installed the keyboard with ultra-high "System" privileges (which it hardly needs), with which it turns out it can be
tricked into overwriting some system services with arbitrary dangerous code.

If this allows root and unlocking bootloaders on KNOX'ed devices, that'd be hilarious.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Just think, if you bought a Lumia, you could do the same thing with your phone.

Not entirely true. I bought a Lumia 1520 and had issues with my display and they didn't do anything for me other than telling me to send it to Nokia to get it evaluated and possibly fixed. They only provide the great service on the phones if you buy their extended warranty.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Which phone was it that typing anywhere was sending terminal commands

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

azurite posted:

If this allows root and unlocking bootloaders on KNOX'ed devices, that'd be hilarious.

That's not how Knox works, Knox devices have an "efuse" chip that will burn if the bootloader is altered, etc. Even if you manage to boot into an OS at that point, your device will be unusable on an EMM platform, thus ensuring the corporate security side of things.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
And ensuring no warranty

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I've always wondered about KNOX and all that stuff are the Galaxy phones just not able to be rooted with custom roms and stuff or what? I've never paid much attention to Samsung's phones (funny now considering I have an S6) but are is the S5 or S4 just not able to have CM on it or something?

E. I know it's a dumb question probably but I'm really curious.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Skeezy posted:

I've always wondered about KNOX and all that stuff are the Galaxy phones just not able to be rooted with custom roms and stuff or what? I've never paid much attention to Samsung's phones (funny now considering I have an S6) but are is the S5 or S4 just not able to have CM on it or something?

E. I know it's a dumb question probably but I'm really curious.

Full disclosure: the last phone I rooted was a Nexus 4 so I might be talking out of my rear end.
As I understand it Knox doesn't prevent you from rooting or installing custom roms, it just trips a big flag that makes it undeniably obvious that you did so. Primarily meant to allow enterprise clients to issue company Galaxy phones knowing that if any of their employees modify the phone they will know, which would hopefully keep them from trying.
Of course, this has the side effect* of providing customer support for regular consumers with a way to know the device was "illegally" modified thus discouraging consumers from doing so out of fear of losing their warranty coverage.

*Considered a big plus by everyone on the corporate side I'm sure.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

RZA Encryption posted:

This is a great post and I really wish Google would tell OEMs to gently caress off and make Android a Google only affair.

I took that post to be neutral towards OEM's and opposed to carrier intervention. How did you not? Regardless, do you think any bad repercussions would occur from that? I don't know, like maybe the platform as a whole going the way of the BlackBerry? What would stop Samsung from bringing Tizen to the states? What could outweigh that?

RZA Encryption posted:

I know just what you mean. Apple's hardware adoption rate dwarfs Androids, always has, and for the foreseeable future, always will. Eliminating the OEM's and pursuing a walled garden approach to everything would surely make Google competitive, it should just do that!

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Mooktastical posted:

What would stop Samsung from bringing Tizen to the states? What could outweigh that?

Even here in Korea, nobody uses Tizen. Tizen is not A Thing and is never going to be.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mooktastical posted:

What would stop Samsung from bringing Tizen to the states?

The lack of an ecosystem. The same barrier to entry that Windows Phone and anything else faces.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Was doing some random Googling to find out some more details on the Nexus 5 2015. All of the rumored features look super cool but I'm dreading the price tag that is going to come with it. It looks like it's just going to become a player with the big boys rather than a stripped back reference machine.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Desk Lamp posted:

Full disclosure: the last phone I rooted was a Nexus 4 so I might be talking out of my rear end.
As I understand it Knox doesn't prevent you from rooting or installing custom roms, it just trips a big flag that makes it undeniably obvious that you did so. Primarily meant to allow enterprise clients to issue company Galaxy phones knowing that if any of their employees modify the phone they will know, which would hopefully keep them from trying.
Of course, this has the side effect* of providing customer support for regular consumers with a way to know the device was "illegally" modified thus discouraging consumers from doing so out of fear of losing their warranty coverage.

*Considered a big plus by everyone on the corporate side I'm sure.

Basically yeah. I've been researching KNOX a ton since I'm hoping to deploy it at work, basically Samsung has intelligently come to the conclusion that they can't find every way to stop people from rooting/unlocking/flashing/etc, they will just make it so that if/when you do, you cannot use your device as a KNOX EMM connected phone. Which from my corporate standpoint, is loving great. I would never recommend these for a personal phone though.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

xcore posted:

Was doing some random Googling to find out some more details on the Nexus 5 2015. All of the rumored features look super cool but I'm dreading the price tag that is going to come with it. It looks like it's just going to become a player with the big boys rather than a stripped back reference machine.
So exactly like the nexus 6?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

xcore posted:

Was doing some random Googling to find out some more details on the Nexus 5 2015. All of the rumored features look super cool

Actually considering it's being rumored to use the Snapdragon 810 I'd say it looks super hot.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

LastInLine posted:

Actually considering it's being rumored to use the Snapdragon 810 I'd say it looks super hot.
A pun so painful it burns.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Seriously, you'd have to have brain damage from heat stroke to consider any device running an 810. Even Samsung took one look at it and called it poo poo. Samsung. Let that sink in.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Seriously, you'd have to have brain damage from heat stroke to consider any device running an 810. Even Samsung took one look at it and called it poo poo. Samsung. Let that sink in.

Most of the rumours claim that the 5.2 LG Nexus will use an 808 instead, with only the 5.7 Huawei using the 810. I'd definitely want the smaller one of those are the options.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Most of the rumours claim that the 5.2 LG Nexus will use an 808 instead, with only the 5.7 Huawei using the 810. I'd definitely want the smaller one of those are the options.

The rumors I had read had those reversed although if I were a betting man I'd wager the LG will use whatever's in the G4 which is the 808. I don't really have a size preference, the N6 is big but every time I've gotten a larger device I've had no complaints. The 810 though is just bad, there's more than enough evidence to support that and I'd avoid anything with it out of hand.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

I just saw that the next OnePlus will use an 810. It's nice to start the day with a hearty laugh.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Qualcomm got Samsung'd.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

FistEnergy posted:

I just saw that the next OnePlus will use an 810. It's nice to start the day with a hearty laugh.

Apparently a newer, less burny version of it

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Rusty! posted:

Apparently a newer, less burny version of it

I don't know which to laugh at and trust less: the 810, or the OnePlus RMA process.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

On the topic of how bad the customer service/RMA procedure is on the OPO, guess who just bought a OPO!

For those that have it, is it preferable to leave it running CM11s or to upgrade to CM12? I see a lot of posts elsewhere about people downgrading from 12 to 11, and giant flashing red warning signs against even thinking about loving with OxygenOS, so should I just stick with what I have? Battery life would be my biggest consideration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

On the topic of how bad the customer service/RMA procedure is on the OPO, guess who just bought a OPO!

For those that have it, is it preferable to leave it running CM11s or to upgrade to CM12? I see a lot of posts elsewhere about people downgrading from 12 to 11, and giant flashing red warning signs against even thinking about loving with OxygenOS, so should I just stick with what I have? Battery life would be my biggest consideration.

CM12 isn't stable/good yet, like 8 months after Lollipop was released, and 12 since the L preview? Why bother with CM if you aren't using it to stay updated?