Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Im so excited for sequel and remake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Baby Babbeh posted:

Kingdom Hearts has a massive fanbase, even after 10 years of lovely mobile games. It's Disney+Final Fantasy with more than a fair dose of anime — in other words, basically a four car pileup of poo poo weibo dorks love, so the fanboyism shouldn't be too surprising.

Also it is a fun game

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

RadicalR posted:

I... I am overcome with emotions. Nier isn't dead guys! There's still a chance! Is this hope I'm feeling?

Nier will take that hope and crush it. Like my hopes for Dragon Quest 7 on the 3DS (in English).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

corn in the bible posted:

Im so excited for sequel and remake

same

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
NieR, whoa. Didn't see that one coming.

It almost makes me feel less salty about Lightning Returns still not being on Steam. Almost.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I don't have any strong feelings about the new Star Ocean except that the dude's name seemed hella boring after FAYT LEINGOD and EDGE MAVERICK.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I had flashbacks to nappy time when that little girl appeared with a backpack.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Does Star Ocean even sell that well anymore? It seems like a combination of bland, bad and weird that can't appeal to anybody except true RPG masochists.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Baby Babbeh posted:

Does Star Ocean even sell that well anymore? It seems like a combination of bland, bad and weird that can't appeal to anybody except true RPG masochists.

It did well enough to get to EDGE MAVERICK, and people thought that killed it but tri-ace is still making this after getting sold off so :shrug:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Motto posted:

It did well enough to get to EDGE MAVERICK, and people thought that killed it but tri-ace is still making this after getting sold off so :shrug:

The company that bought them did so to expand into the console market, and Star Ocean is a "safe" brand name to mine a new game from for their first release under new management. :ms:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Baby Babbeh posted:

Nah the last SO was a complete catastrophe in sales. Most of the SE E3 was a token gesture to tell everyone they're not giving up on consoles though so they went back to basics pretty much. That's pretty much my guess.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

That and the developers have been insisting SO5 will go back to basics so you'll have a bland anime story with nothing to get seriously offended about mixed with some pretty good gameplay instead of... whatever the gently caress SO4 was.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
yeah it looks like SE is not pleased with lightning returns being outsold by bravely default and so wants to go back to basics

in today's world final fantasy isn't even a safe investment, and it looks like they think going back to basics is smart. I agree with them

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Another year and no follow up to Vagrant Story. :sigh: Are we doomed never to have fantasy special agent in rear end-less chaps again? Remake that, SE. It looks like it'd be a good fit for the Final Fantasy XV engine.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
A less clunky Vagrant Story would be amazing but unless it's a spiritual sequel or newish property based on a similar concept I doubt very much we're ever seeing it again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Hm, well, I was super busy yesterday so I didn't get to see the S-E Conference. I imagine it was mostly about Final Fanta..."

A Nier Sequel? By Platinum loving Games? Well okay then, I guess I can just throw my money wildly at the screen.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I dunno how they can even have a sequel, given that by the end everyone and everything was doomed.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Serious Frolicking posted:

I dunno how they can even have a sequel, given that by the end everyone and everything was doomed.

It's Yonah's quest to fill up the empty collection book that she found at the end of NieR. Everywhere she goes there's the barest hint of someone having been there before, but she can't put it all together and wastes a week real-time planting and crossbreeding flowers.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Going through Phatnasy Star 2 right now and I'm wrapping up the last bit of money grinding in Dezolis.

For a game made in 1989, it's surprisingly dark. Nei dies and Palma gets blown the gently caress up; not exactly something you expect during the age of simple, Mario-like plots. My main issue is how it's presented; there isn't really much of an impact on the game world when these twists happen and the twists are presented way too brief for such major events. I have to give them credit though; completely wiping out the main planet in PS1 was a very ballsy move.

I think the game wants you to use techniques in regular battles, but you don't get enough TP to go thorugh a single dungeon without running out. It's much easier to simply go through a nomral battle on autopilot with physical attacks, then chug Dimates and use Amy to heal afterwards.

The translation seems to get really rough around the time you need to open up the dams. Tyler and the Governor become a pain in the rear end to understand because of how shoddy and stilted their dialogue is.

If you blaze through the grinding with a fast-forward option and use maps in dungeons, the game is quite short, to the point where PS1 seems like it's noticably longer. The fights are rough as hell though, enemies cna really put the hurt on you, even with the latest gear. At least the devs are nice and made healing items really cheap to purchase and effective.

I'm liking it so far.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

closeted republican posted:

For a game made in 1989, it's surprisingly dark. Nei dies and Palma gets blown the gently caress up; not exactly something you expect during the age of simple, Mario-like plots. My main issue is how it's presented; there isn't really much of an impact on the game world when these twists happen and the twists are presented way too brief for such major events. I have to give them credit though; completely wiping out the main planet in PS1 was a very ballsy move.

There's also a murder-suicide pretty early on if I remember correctly.

I don't think I've ever made it past Climatrol. At some point I always get sidetracked using Shir to steal poo poo from stores.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Delsaber posted:

Sweet Home was released in 1989 and it has blood drinking, grave desecration, tales of a mass infanticide-suicide, enemies such as blood-puking zombies and ripped in half men dragging their entrails around, and, well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMQUg42nRr0

(Video probably NSFW)

Codiekitty fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 18, 2015

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Nah the last SO was a complete catastrophe in sales. Most of the SE E3 was a token gesture to tell everyone they're not giving up on consoles though so they went back to basics pretty much. That's pretty much my guess.

1. It was an Xbox 360 exclusive originally and when it came out it was the best selling JRPG on that console in Japan. Not saying much given it's the Xbox in Japan but it still beat out Tales of Vesperia 360 and Tales is one of the biggest JRPG franchises around.
2. All total, the Xbox 360 version alone sold almost 500.000 worldwide. Try as I might I've been unable to find reliable sales figures for the PS3 International version but one would assume it sold better, just like Tales of Vesperia PS3.

While it's true SO4 didn't sell nearly as well as SO3, the industry had changed a lot in those years. SO3's sales, if anything, are an enigma, because there's nothing good about the game. I have no idea how it sold so much. SO was, at most, a cult hit worldwide thanks to SO2, so where the millions of sales for Till the End of Time came from, I have no idea.

Quite frankly, for a semi-obscure JRPG franchise in the 7th gen, selling in the ballpark of 500.0000.-1.000,000 seems at most a lukewarm reception, and certainly not a "catastrophe."

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Week 2 of its launch comparison.

[360] Star Ocean: The Last Hope (Square Enix) - 17.012 / 179.244
[PS3] Star Ocean: The Last Hope - International (Square Enix) - 26.000 / 98.000

The sales were a catastrophe, and yes that is because it's going to get compared to SO3. Objectively we know ~250k sales should be okay but we're talking about Square here. Ultimately it's pretty well known SO4 tanked the IP. I've heard SE is pretty forward about it too.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jun 18, 2015

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh yeah, that reminds me, up till now Bravely Second has failed to get as much as even the first week sales of its predecessors.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

HGH posted:

Oh yeah, that reminds me, up till now Bravely Second has failed to get as much as even the first week sales of its predecessors.

Wasn't default a much bigger seller in the west?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Serious Frolicking posted:

Wasn't default a much bigger seller in the west?

I'm curious to see if they push it enough again to do another bigass collector's edition.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Delsaber posted:

I don't think I've ever made it past Climatrol. At some point I always get sidetracked using Shir to steal poo poo from stores.

I never bothered with stealing because of what a pain in the rear end it is, even with fast forward and save states. Instead of spending time grinding for Star and Moon Dews, I can just grab Amy as my main healer and buy Trimates for any extra post-battle healing.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

I never bothered with stealing because of what a pain in the rear end it is, even with fast forward and save states. Instead of spending time grinding for Star and Moon Dews, I can just grab Amy as my main healer and buy Trimates for any extra post-battle healing.

There are also some pieces of equipment in the dams (with extra copies available in dungeons later in the game) that act as an unlimited-use Dimate if used in battle. Specifically, the Crescegear, Amber Robe, Aegis and Truth Sleeves. If you use them to heal up to full before battles end you can stay in dungeons more or less indefinitely, although it does drag out the fights a little.

In general, if you find an equippable item that isn't sold in stores, there are better than even odds it casts some kind of technique if used as an item. As you've noticed, using actual techniques in random battles is kind of unviable because of how few TP you get relative to how many battles you fight, so even though the items mostly cast low-level techniques some of them can be pretty useful.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

HGH posted:

I'm not surprised, the game has a lot of reused resources from the previous game. Its basically Bravely One Point Five.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mill Village posted:

I'm not surprised, the game has a lot of reused resources from the previous game. Its basically Bravely One Point Five.

But Bravely Default reused a lot of resources from Bravely Default too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I also imagine that Bravely Default doesn't have as positive a reception in Japan because they got the original unaltered release. God knows I wouldn't have been hype for BD2 if I played "Bravely Default: No Quality of Life, Even Worse Final Chapters" edition.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i bought puzzles and dragons mario

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Speaking of Bravely Second

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Is there a treehouse schedule anywhere?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

Is there a treehouse schedule anywhere?

It's the upper right corner of Nintendo's site, but it fills in during the day, so you can't really plan too far ahead.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

corn in the bible posted:

i bought puzzles and dragons mario

My condolences.

No, but seriously, I'm just really curious how they turn a game that is basically based around timers and f2p mechanics into a single-purchase title? What do they do to the mechanics for the transition?

Edit: Wait did the woman in the Treehouse stream just mimic the bunnies saying "Fuuuck!"?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wonder if the guy playing it has been briefed on the dialogue or just watches a lot of anime.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

first thing I hear is one of the treehouse ladies saying mrgrrgrr

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Morpheus posted:

My condolences.

No, but seriously, I'm just really curious how they turn a game that is basically based around timers and f2p mechanics into a single-purchase title? What do they do to the mechanics for the transition?

Edit: Wait did the woman in the Treehouse stream just mimic the bunnies saying "Fuuuck!"?

take all those things out and turn it into puzzle quest with collectible marios

im having fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

suck it paragoombas