Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

chitoryu12 posted:

The only actual definition of roleplaying video game is "Well-developed storyline and narrative, complex world with immersion, and character development." There's absolutely zero requirement for a video game RPG to have an open-ended storyline or player-driven characterization. You're committing a typical No True Scotsman fallacy.

So there are literally no RPGs then, if video game writing is anything to go by?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

You're assuming a lot from one sentence.

What about nested dialogue?

I'll admit I might have overreacted a bit based on Yaos's post, which said "Dialogue choices change your character's personality".

Nested dialogue is possible, I'll agree, though I'm still not a fan of not seeing the full line of dialogue in the interface.

Mordaedil posted:

The first Fallouts and nearly no RPG ever (that I've ever played, but I hate the Witcher so ymmv) has put you into a relationship at the beginning of the game, given you an off spring that is yours and essentially forced a religion on you.

I mean, I see a lot of you defending this, but it's frankly something I don't see much outside of narratives that are more common in first person shooter games and the like. But I guess if you count Bioshock as an RPG, then that'd explain why you'd be okay with this. Personally though, I accept a certain amount of limits pushed on my character, like where he came from, where he grew up, what his past family was, his siblings, mother, father and such stuff. But spouse and child? That is really something I would like a say in, for an RPG. Otherwise I'm just playing someone elses character after they left the game and that makes me super uncomfortable.

This is all I'm really saying with regard to the backstory. I'm okay with being told where I came from and so on, but starting me off as a married parent feels like it's crossing a line.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Thank god I don't care about storyline or immersion in Bethesda games so this stuff doesn't bother me.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

chitoryu12 posted:

The only actual definition of roleplaying video game is "Well-developed storyline and narrative, complex world with immersion, and character development." There's absolutely zero requirement for a video game RPG to have an open-ended storyline or player-driven characterization. You're committing a typical No True Scotsman fallacy.

This is Websters definition then? The 'actual' one?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Mordaedil posted:

The first Fallouts and nearly no RPG ever (that I've ever played, but I hate the Witcher so ymmv) has put you into a relationship at the beginning of the game, given you an off spring that is yours and essentially forced a religion on you.

I mean, I see a lot of you defending this, but it's frankly something I don't see much outside of narratives that are more common in first person shooter games and the like. But I guess if you count Bioshock as an RPG, then that'd explain why you'd be okay with this. Personally though, I accept a certain amount of limits pushed on my character, like where he came from, where he grew up, what his past family was, his siblings, mother, father and such stuff. But spouse and child? That is really something I would like a say in, for an RPG. Otherwise I'm just playing someone elses character after they left the game and that makes me super uncomfortable.

I think the problem is that you can, generally speaking, either have a reactive plotline or have a total blank slate. While it's great that you can play a cannibal wizard cat-man gay married to a lizard-man in Skyrim, the game will treat you the exact same way it treated the guy who went with the generic Nord hero and that's way more jarring and immersion-ruining than 'my character was married at the start of the game'. And while that may be slightly better for your head-canon, most (filthy casual) gamers want a voiced and somewhat defined character you can push in different directions, because then the game-world will actually react to this character.

quote:

But I'm okay with it assuming they are fake memories put in my head as I'm an android, so don't expect me to be boycotting or anything. I'm thoroughly hyped, it just put a damper on it for me, is all. You can't erase that, but you apparently can ridicule me for feeling that way.

Yep! I mean, you won't know what the plot twists are until the game's been out awhile, so I guess you're either going to wait to buy it until someone spoils it for you, or just play the game normally but then if it's ever revealed that your memories aren't fake then you'll turn off the game in disgust I guess :raise:

And yes, if you're the guy who could only enjoy New Vegas by pretending the Courier was secretly the Lone Wanderer or a time-traveling alien or something then that's stupid and you're stupid.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

The problem with the definition of a roleplaying video game is that it has been an evolving term in the last decade. 20 years ago it meant one thing, because there was only that thing available on the market. In the last decade though, people who have been fans of RPG games have started to transition those elements into other game genres to help make those games better experiences, so I'm not saying it is a bad thing, but the above is really not all an RPG is. Complex world isn't even a requirement, you could technically have an entire roleplaying game take place in a single room and "well-developed storyline and narrative" applies to nearly every game, but what truly makes RPG's stand out is in how the player can affect them, like a CYOA with multiple waterfall solutions eventually arriving at a conclusion. Technically you could do an RPG without levels and without a single development for your own character, but it'd be a narrative experience.

However, what the audience expects doesn't align with what the terms mean anymore.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

And yes, if you're the guy who could only enjoy New Vegas by pretending the Courier was secretly the Lone Wanderer

Someone didn't play with the Tale of two wastelands mod (It merges FO3 and New Vegas).

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

I think the problem is that you can, generally speaking, either have a reactive plotline or have a total blank slate. While it's great that you can play a cannibal wizard cat-man gay married to a lizard-man in Skyrim, the game will treat you the exact same way it treated the guy who went with the generic Nord hero and that's way more jarring and immersion-ruining than 'my character was married at the start of the game'. And while that may be slightly better for your head-canon, most (filthy casual) gamers want a voiced and somewhat defined character you can push in different directions, because then the game-world will actually react to this character.

I can understand this, which is why my ideal situation would have you choose some parts of your background during character creation.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Nuebot posted:

So there are literally no RPGs then, if video game writing is anything to go by?

Hey man that one deus ex game was pretty good

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Praetorian Mage posted:

I can understand this, which is why my ideal situation would have you choose some parts of your background during character creation.

If Mass Effect or DAO are anything to go by, that just adds a handful of moments where they kind of awkwardly fit it into the pre-existing plot dialogue :effort:

And not saying this is an either/or situation, but I feel like being able to craft an entire shanty town down to the style and placement of the furniture is far more interesting in terms of role playing a certain 'character' than whatever job your guy had in the first five minutes of the game before the bombs dropped.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

If Mass Effect or DAO are anything to go by, that just adds a handful of moments where they kind of awkwardly fit it into the pre-existing plot dialogue :effort:

True, but I still think it's a good idea, even if it hasn't been done well in the past.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Bethesda doesn't make rpgs they make larping tools

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BlackLaser posted:

If that image is not total bullshit levels go up to 48+.

"There's no perks tab in that picture, there will be no perks, OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG"
- this thread

SD87
Jun 7, 2011
The best part about fallout is slashing up a body to pieces then playing with the corpse

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

frajaq posted:

It's always your actions as a player on the Wastelands that matter, also there's nothing wrong with some backstory so you can feel even the tiniest invested in the main quest or what not. Like I was never motivated in the TES series to do the Main Quest exactly because I was a blank character.

In fallout 3 you learn more about your dad, people he worked with, his journals and poo poo. Then Enclave assholes murder him and take the purifier for themselves? poo poo yeah I wanna kill them, even I'm Bad karma

They didn't murder him, he committed suicide.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Despite not needing to and apparently the guy he kamikaze'd somehow survived the radiation overload that murdered your dad in seconds, despite also going to the ground faster than him and being left for dead for as long as it takes you to leave.

Kind of a giant plothole that.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Colonel Autumn can be seen injecting himself with a mystery substance right before he collapses, presumably some kind of ultra rad-x.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Makes sense considering their paranoia of radiation.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Please make underwear a clothing item, I am an adult!!!!!!!!!!

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Mordaedil posted:

Despite not needing to and apparently the guy he kamikaze'd somehow survived the radiation overload that murdered your dad in seconds, despite also going to the ground faster than him and being left for dead for as long as it takes you to leave.

Kind of a giant plothole that.

If you watch closely, he injects magically scientific not-dying medicine into his arm.

Which leads to more plot holes Like why he wouldn't just give it to his soldiers so they can go in and guess the very complicated 3-digit code.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

:lol: People playing the No True RPG card ITT. Such whining about Fallout, but I don't think the game you want actually exists. Is there an RPG on PS4 that satisfies you people?

I mean Witcher 3 is amazing to me, I love it, but it's obviously utter poo poo to these whiners because you can't create your character, you start with predefined relationships, and the main quest is to find your missing daughter.

I am going to play and enjoy Fallout 4, just like Fallout 3 and Skyrim.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Theta Zero posted:

If you watch closely, he injects magically scientific not-dying medicine into his arm.

Which leads to more plot holes Like why he wouldn't just give it to his soldiers so they can go in and guess the very complicated 3-digit code.

If they get it wrong 3 times in a row they will be locked out and he will have to call his bank

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

:lol: People playing the No True RPG card ITT. Such whining about Fallout, but I don't think the game you want actually exists. Is there an RPG on PS4 that satisfies you people?

I mean Witcher 3 is amazing to me, I love it, but it's obviously utter poo poo to these whiners because you can't create your character, you start with predefined relationships, and the main quest is to find your missing daughter.

I am going to play and enjoy Fallout 4, just like Fallout 3 and Skyrim.

Shut up. People have criticism about the game, it's not like we're saying the game sucks and we're not going to play it. We're just addressing the subjects we have problems with. We're not whining over nothing, we're critiquing things we don't like in a constructive manner instead of blindly going "omfg, bethesda best company 4ever!"

PS: If you are planning to buy this game on a PS4, I would urge you to reconsider, because Bethesda has a long history of poor support on Sony platforms. That's just a sad fact.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

PS: If you are planning to buy this game on a PS4, I would urge you to reconsider, because Bethesda has a long history of poor support on Sony platforms. That's just a sad fact.

That's mostly because the PS3's weird processor architecture and low memory didn't play nice with Bethesda's lovely engine.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 18, 2015

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

Shut up. People have criticism about the game, it's not like we're saying the game sucks and we're not going to play it. We're just addressing the subjects we have problems with. We're not whining over nothing, we're critiquing things we don't like in a constructive manner instead of blindly going "omfg, bethesda best company 4ever!"

Maybe try criticising the game for what it is, and not for what it isn't?

Mordaedil posted:

That was because of the PS3's memory limitations, an issue the PS4 doesn't have. This time round the xbone version is likely to be the shitter of the two.

Besides, I don't have an xbone or a gaming pc.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mordaedil posted:

lmao. half of you are bitching about technical things you don't even understand, and the other half are bitching about it not have things no game has while pointing to games like the witcher 3 that do the exact same things. there's nothing constructive about "guys no seriously it will still be bad! please look at me!"

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

marktheando posted:

:agreed:

I don't personally like Witcher 3 because I don't like playing as Geralt because his personality, motivation don't interest me at all. That doesn't mean I think the game is bad and I'm not going to criticize the game for it because I'm sure there are weird people who actually enjoy playing as Geralt.

Anyway, I'm a bit sad Witcher 3 does not cater to me because it seems like such a well made game in every respect, but that's just it. I can't really criticize the game for an intentional decision to make it about Geralt. It's like buying a red shirt and complaining that it's not blue when you get home.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I predict that this game won't be everything I hope it will be, but I will play it and enjoy it. Then mods will start coming out and I will play it again and enjoy it more.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy3gqnJYQKQ

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/fallout_4/b/playstation4/archive/2015/06/17/19-new-details-fans-need-to-know-about-fallout-4.aspx
http://www.gamesradar.com/fallout-4-so-expansive-even-its-creators-havent-seen-everything/

quote:

"I've played the game probably 400 hours, and I'm still finding stuff that I haven't seen yet," lead producer Jeff Gardiner noted.

:pusheen:

BlackLaser fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 18, 2015

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

marktheando posted:

its a turd and it isnt good

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Minorkos posted:

:agreed:

I don't personally like Witcher 3 because I don't like playing as Geralt because his personality, motivation don't interest me at all. That doesn't mean I think the game is bad and I'm not going to criticize the game for it because I'm sure there are weird people who actually enjoy playing as Geralt.

Anyway, I'm a bit sad Witcher 3 does not cater to me because it seems like such a well made game in every respect, but that's just it. I can't really criticize the game for an intentional decision to make it about Geralt. It's like buying a red shirt and complaining that it's not blue when you get home.

The difference between the Witcher and Fallout 4 is that previously FO didn't have a pre-established character. Changing this in Fallout 4 is naturally going to annoy some fans who preferred it the other way.

An established series comes with many expectations what the game is going to be like and changes in key elements(especially ones that are sidegrades at best) will always result in people criticizing it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Has there been a single RPG developer in the last ten years who hasn't made the 'this game's so big, holy poo poo, even I haven't seen everything!!!' claim?

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Minorkos posted:

I don't personally like Witcher 3 because I probably didn't play the other games.

FTFY.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

hes right tho people are being p. retarded about it

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I know I am probably hoping in vain, but I hope they hired people from Boston to do the Boston accents. I also hope that "putting the Boston accent on signs" means the basic Massachusetts rule that it has about six letters you don't say, like with Worcester and Gloucester, instead of a bunch of signs that way Wusstah and Glawstah. I hope they include some of the robust Boston lexicon instead of merely sticking the word "wicked" in a few places.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Blue Raider posted:

hes right tho people are being p. retarded about it

Everybody has their pet peeves and there is no rule against posting about it.

I'm legit excited about the game, it just tastes like a sour lemon in the melon desert.

For some, that lemon adds spice, for others it isn't what they expected. Feeling either way is fine.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Oh Mr. Handy... :allears:

Also let's translate that Jeff Gardiner statement.

"I've played the game probably 400 hours"
- It's my job to play and replay this game so it's mandatory that I put a lot of time into it.

"...and I'm still finding stuff I haven't seen yet."
- The game is still being developed so they keep adding new poo poo for every new revision they hand me to play.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Andrast posted:

The difference between the Witcher and Fallout 4 is that previously FO didn't have a pre-established character. Changing this in Fallout 4 is naturally going to annoy some fans who preferred it the other way.

That's true, but player freedom and "writing your own story" wasn't all that important in the old games. The only real way you could finish Fallout 1 is by getting the water chip, killing master and leaving the vault. You had a family in Fallout 2 and again, the only real ending (if I recall correctly) was to blow up Enclave. Your character even talks by themselves in Fallout 2, mostly to snark and stuff (not a huge problem unless you really want to roleplay a no-bullshit kinda guy)

I'm fairly sure "player freedom" as a word started getting thrown around when Bethesda came into the mix, ironically.

I don't think the concept of having a family is outright detrimental to the game, but there's a lot of ways Bethesda can gently caress it up. It's possible that Bethesda can masterfully write something amazing that can only work if your character has a family. It's a lot more possible that we're railroaded to caring about them at a later plot point and it will suck.

A lot of this seems like the typical Todd "Tell me sweet little lies" Howard talk so I'm not going to believe any of this. Although the thing about making the level of the enemies scale by area is something I wanted even before Fallout 3 came out

I tried playing Witcher 2 like 2 years before Witcher 3 came out, and I didn't like that game either for the exact same reasons. So maybe I should play Witcher 1? I think the character is just incompatible with my personality.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 18, 2015

Octo1
May 7, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

Oh Mr. Handy... :allears:

Also let's translate that Jeff Gardiner statement.

"I've played the game probably 400 hours"
- It's my job to play and replay this game so it's mandatory that I put a lot of time into it.

"...and I'm still finding stuff I haven't seen yet."
- The game is still being developed so they keep adding new poo poo for every new revision they hand me to play.

Or he just keeps finding new bugs :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Minorkos posted:

That's true, but player freedom and "writing your own story" wasn't all that important in the old games. The only real way you could finish Fallout 1 is by getting the water chip, killing master and leaving the vault. You had a family in Fallout 2 and again, the only real ending (if I recall correctly) was to blow up Enclave. Your character even talks by itself in Fallout 2, mostly to snark and stuff (not a huge problem unless you really want to roleplay a no-bullshit kinda guy)

I'd like to think that the player freedom and "writing your own story" people are more fans of Bethesda style games (Elder Scrolls and FO3) instead of Fallout 1 and 2.

• Locked thread