Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Is there any video of the footage that's not at 120p resolution? Because the screen is practically unreadable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So the abbreviated title is #GIRFE right?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

littleorv posted:

I finally got a chance to watch the #FE gameplay and it looks super fun and stylish. I don't know why people were so salty about the game in the E3 thread so I'm just going to imagine they all have a retarded aversion to anime that make them blind to awesomeness. I need more bright colours in my video games dammit!
People were mad because of the fanservice, mostly. Which, honestly is understandable, there's jiggle physics up the rear end.

People on /v/ are mad because CASUALS or some poo poo, but who cares

Regardless, I shall proudly toss my savings at this game!

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

littleorv posted:

I finally got a chance to watch the #FE gameplay and it looks super fun and stylish. I don't know why people were so salty about the game in the E3 thread so I'm just going to imagine they all have a retarded aversion to anime that make them blind to awesomeness. I need more bright colours in my video games dammit!

I've heard a lot of people say this about the game and I still don't get it. It looks really bland and generic, and not the best either studio could do alone, let alone as a collaboration.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jun 18, 2015

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Neeksy posted:

Is there any video of the footage that's not at 120p resolution? Because the screen is practically unreadable.

Not sure if this is what you meant but here you go:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRcGHIp8KvY

Justin_Brett posted:

I've heard a lot of people say this about the game and I still don't get it. It looks really bland and generic.

Did... Did you edit your post? I could have sworn you said I have an anime blindness which, admittedly, I do.

If you can't compare the games colour palette to most other games idk what to tell you.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The combat itself is very visceral and nice. Everything pops out or looks dynamic and makes the game look like fun. Of course there's not much in the way of info on what the gameplay is actually like unless I missed a video where they showed mechanics off. If you don't particularly care for it that's fine, but it's not really generic or bland. The game looks pretty unique even by the standards of its creators and it looks like they're trying to do something different with the game than either company normally does and that's fine.

I was expecting FE gameplay with SMT characters as playable characters as well and some SMT enemies and instead I got a game that is both a new game and a crossover and I honestly like this idea more.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I pretty much agree with what the beef said.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Seriously, "bland and generic" is the last descriptor I'd use. It's about as aesthetically different from your typical RPG or SMT game as it gets.

As for the gameplay mechanics, does anything in this picture seem interesting?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I am very interested in Genei Ibun Roku Sharp Eff Eee and will play it on my Nintendo Wii U Entertainment System

I really don't like most of the character designs they've shown and I'm not sure if it's the actual art or if the designs themselves are boring

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

HGH posted:

Seriously, "bland and generic" is the last descriptor I'd use. It's about as different from your typical RPG or SMT game as it gets.

Honestly, this hud is kind of a mess and I really hope that the closer the game gets to being done the more sense it will make/the less cluttered it will be. It looks cool, but gah.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

littleorv posted:

Did... Did you edit your post? I could have sworn you said I have an anime blindness which, admittedly, I do.

If you can't compare the games colour palette to most other games idk what to tell you.

Yeah it seemed kinda rude thinking on it too late, sorry.

And I dunno, I've seen this game a lot over the last couple months and it still doesn't seem that much different to me than your typical anime RPG. Most look fairly colorful, since as a whole JRPGs still tend toward that, it's only really Final Fantasy that's gone away from that over the years.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

HGH posted:

From what they had on the treehouse it seems like they have a dumbed-down shadow hearts style combo system

also let's zoom and enhance that image

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The main thing that concerned me was the sparseness of enemies in the field and their weakness in battle, but I'll assume that was for the sake of demoing the game. I heard the FE Fates demo had an overlevelled MC for that purpose.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Looks kinda like Grandia.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't know what anime JRPG's people play but this doesn't really appear like any i've seen. And i've read more than my fair share of crazy JRPG LP's. :colbert:

The battles seem to be the coolest thing about the game so far, and I love the battlefield design of being on a stage, which is pretty stylish and fits with most of the characters being performers of some kind (at least I think they are). But I don't know whether it's the character designs or the general aesthetic but everything outside of the battle system does not appeal to me at all.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Now that I see that bar better it makes a lot more sense, this game's gonna be turn based as hell.

Justin_Brett posted:

Yeah it seemed kinda rude thinking on it too late, sorry.

And I dunno, I've seen this game a lot over the last couple months and it still doesn't seem that much different to me than your typical anime RPG. Most look fairly colorful, since as a whole JRPGs still tend toward that, it's only really Final Fantasy that's gone away from that over the years.

The main reason I say it's unique is because beyond the fact it's mixing modern aesthetic senses with this medieval/dark ages series together, it's also dipping into Japanese teenage idols for a combat system which in and of itself is a cool thing to build combat off of. The only other game like it right now is Omega Quintet and you can imagine how well a loving Idea Factory game is going to handle this concept. Everything from the audience watching the fight to the characters using song to fire a giant heart at the opponent and then summoning a loving pegasus knight is all unique and pops out to people. It's definitely still following typical JRPG sensibilities, but it is at least unique from an aesthetic sense and that can go a long way to diversifying it from other games.

This does kind of look like Persona battle style the more I look at the gameplay and images though, but who honestly knows on that front? The worst I can say about the game is the character designs are actually pretty generic and even get into the realm of .hack in how kind of dull they look and I am someone who has no fondness for anything resembling .hack. That being said, I'm pretty excited for this game now compared to a few months ago when I was kind of just baffled as to how this came from an FE and SMT crossover.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

so much loving poo poo all over the screen. this is the same thing that annoyed me about Xenoblade footage, there is just numbers and gauges and poo poo all over the place

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The difference is this game at least has the benefit of being turn-based while Xenoblade has your characters moving about constantly and enemies taking up half of the residency of the screen and the hud taking up another fourth of it.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Excels posted:

so much loving poo poo all over the screen. this is the same thing that annoyed me about Xenoblade footage, there is just numbers and gauges and poo poo all over the place

There's like, 4 things total you have to pay attention to. Turn order, health, special points, and commands. How is that too many numbers/gauges?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Beef Waifu posted:

The main reason I say it's unique is because beyond the fact it's mixing modern aesthetic senses with this medieval/dark ages series together, it's also dipping into Japanese teenage idols for a combat system which in and of itself is a cool thing to build combat off of. The only other game like it right now is Omega Quintet and you can imagine how well a loving Idea Factory game is going to handle this concept. Everything from the audience watching the fight to the characters using song to fire a giant heart at the opponent and then summoning a loving pegasus knight is all unique and pops out to people. It's definitely still following typical JRPG sensibilities, but it is at least unique from an aesthetic sense and that can go a long way to diversifying it from other games.

I meant more the characters themselves and the archetypes they seem to have than the designs or the battle system. I like the idea of a battle system that's just designed to let crazy poo poo happen as a reward for setting things up right a lot actually. The actual gameplay seems pretty good, which is what I expected since neither studio has really produced anything bad in that regard. It's just wrapped up in story and characters that seem kinda meh. I guess it's still not out of the realm of possibility there will be some big twist later on, though.

I wonder what this battle system would have been like with SMT and Fire Emblem guys involved in it actually.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They're mixing the staffs it seems, so there will surely be some of the general Atlus wackiness in the story that there always is. The story and characters are kind of whatever to me, but I can understand why they would put other people off who were expecting much different, I'm sure.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Performas

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

One of the trailers had a "This Game is Anticipated to be Rated Mature" thing, so I cannot wait for dick armor.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Best Girl posted:

One of the trailers had a "This Game is Anticipated to be Rated Mature" thing, so I cannot wait for dick armor.

codpiece side quest

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

polish sausage posted:

I mean the new game's pretty much all about rise and music so of course THIS is the game that Laura Bailey can't do. All I can do is laugh. Laugh as I jump out this window. Well gently caress it, Amanda WInn Lee is still yukiko at least and i'll pick her forever now in DAN.

I agree. This is dumb and stupid. I'm pretty sure scheduling problems is a code for 'didn't offer enough money'.

littleorv posted:

#FE has Sugita doing a voice. Automatic GOTY

I hope the Japanese voices are available on the English release.

Beef Waifu posted:

I was expecting FE gameplay with SMT characters as playable characters as well and some SMT enemies and instead I got a game that is both a new game and a crossover and I honestly like this idea more.

I think #FE is going to be a fun game and I'll buy and enjoy it but it's not really a crossover or what I wanted.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I was really hyped up for a more traditional crossover between the two properties that was suggested by the initial teaser trailer years ago. This isn't really that in any way..

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Somebody seems to think Rise is...problematic...

This is pretty funny considering her social link.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

HGH posted:

Somebody seems to think Rise is...problematic...

This is pretty funny considering her social link.

She has a point - the pattern on her skirt doesn't look like it's aligned with the fabric at all, it just looks like we're seeing through a cutout to a flat pattern underneath like on the Yaso uniforms in the animated series. :colbert:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
She's mad because her waifu didn't get a game of her own.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The_Frag_Man posted:

I agree. This is dumb and stupid. I'm pretty sure scheduling problems is a code for 'didn't offer enough money'.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt; it's expensive to rent recording studios so companies won't rent them for longer than they need to. They'll have maybe a week (I dunno, I'm ballparking) to record all of the dubbed audio, so if one of their actors is completely booked for that week, they're not making the cut. This is the same reason why Ali Hills didn't reprise her role as Palutena in Smash 4, which likely had the resources to pay all of the actors what they wanted.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

littleorv posted:

Or they think poo poo like this is gross, and not at all representative of what they like about either series.

That said, the gameplay does look really good from the new footage.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
The original teaser released all those moons ago was basically hyping the game with having *ALL* of the Megaten Protagonists from 1-4 against the FE lords. And now it's this.... whatever this is. Which I agree is really stylish, but it's nothing that people were originally hoping for.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i think the days of kaneko designs are over, and that those will only be seen on remakes and portable games. that said, i'm not really put off by the new art direction or the ridiculously over the top jpop star aestetics, though i would venture to say i am disappointed by them.

the actual gameplay they showed looks like what i want to play, and i am going to play the hell out of it, probably. in summation:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Or they think poo poo like this is gross, and not at all representative of what they like about either series.

why would they complain about a design that's leagues better than Nowi and Tharja

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Really Pants posted:

why would they complain about a design that's leagues better than Nowi and Tharja

Not enough skin to show and not an actual 5000 year old dragon.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dehry posted:

After getting burned on Persona Q, I'm just going to watch a video of the story mode and maybe wait for the inevitable $20 sale.

But yeah it will go on sale, and all the "Free for the first week" content will still be accessible through PSN.

That's good. Basically this is the only highlight of my year month. Now back to irl problems :v:

Wait, what about the gaming industry of Japan? We all know anime died a few years back already.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

this image was 'debunked' a while back apparently, the guy on the left was an infamous slave driver who worked his employees to the bone, and they all hated him

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Excels posted:

this image was 'debunked' a while back apparently, the guy on the left was an infamous slave driver who worked his employees to the bone, and they all hated him

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

yep exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Lol. Are they forgetting some of the character design in Awakening? Other than the jiggle physics this is tame in comparison.

Excellent