Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
A DRZ is going to be much more capable offroad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

n8r posted:

A DRZ is going to be much more capable offroad.

But does that matter if I'm going to be tackling what are essentially washed out fire roads versus highly technical trails?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

DRZ is a better bike than a KLR/DR in enough ways that it would be the one I want.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Looked at the honda Xr range? Still my favourite bikes and as good as a thumper gets in my estimation.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Listen to this man. An XR-50 is your best choice in next bike. Lightweight offroad agility.

But don't get a klr. I liked mine, but I probably won't get another.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Why not spend twice the money and get a KTM 500 (or 520 or 525) EXC?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Radbot posted:

Hi, dirt bike bros. Any of you live in Colorado's Front Range? What do you think about a KLR/DR650 class bike versus a DRZ class bike in the mountains? What's going to be accessible with a DRZ and not a KLR? This would probably be for mild trails, at least to start, but maybe I should get something that'd grow with my ability? I'd be riding this in from Denver, no trailer.

Holy poo poo, that's a lot of questions.

I happen to have all 3 in the stable.

Dirt

DRZ
DR
KLR.

Road

KLR Nos: jumping, most single track, sand, loose/deep gravel. You can throw money at proper pegs, rimlocks, tires, suspension, and make it alright. FWIW its 100lb heavier than the DRZ/DR.
My spouse rides a lowered DR650 and I'll tell you its a hoot to ride and has much better suspension, but his has a TM40 pumper on it.

I've done all the above on my klr, I bought a drz to do that poo poo with and not ruin my daily. Did I mention its heavy? If you ain' strong/big, don't do it.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
As a former KLR owner I will list all the Pro's

Cheap
Once you fix everything once it most likely probably wont break again if you use enough lock-tite. But if it does its cheap.
Its cheap.

Its not great on road and its not great off road. You can make it survive being off road by replacing all of the suspension and rebuilding all the pivots.

A DR/DRZ will be better at everything except being cheap, and they are still pretty cheap. XRs are good too.

The KLR has a wide and vocal fan base of cheap people who say it is best because it is what they have. Buy a DR/DRZ/XR and buy a bike for life. All they need is oil, gas and tires.

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

Radbot posted:

Hi, dirt bike bros. Any of you live in Colorado's Front Range? What do you think about a KLR/DR650 class bike versus a DRZ class bike in the mountains? What's going to be accessible with a DRZ and not a KLR? This would probably be for mild trails, at least to start, but maybe I should get something that'd grow with my ability? I'd be riding this in from Denver, no trailer.

Holy poo poo, that's a lot of questions.

Riding it to the trails takes all the fun out of it.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Kony Kid posted:

Riding it to the trails takes all the fun out of it.

Why's that? I live about an hour away from trails so even a nut buster seat shouldn't inflict too much pain, right?

And thanks for the feedback, fellas. A DRZ it shall be. Anything I should know about the S/E/etc. models? Does it make sense to get an SM and have a set of dirt and street wheels?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Radbot posted:

Why's that? I live about an hour away from trails so even a nut buster seat shouldn't inflict too much pain, right?

And thanks for the feedback, fellas. A DRZ it shall be. Anything I should know about the S/E/etc. models? Does it make sense to get an SM and have a set of dirt and street wheels?

Get either the S or the SM I'd think. SM ideally, but they're more expensive. KLX400 is the same bike too and may be cheaper.

Here's a thumpertalk thread on the same question. http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/938191-drz400e-vs-drz400s/
edit: advrider probably has a bunch of folks talking about this question as well.

Get comprehensive for when your bike gets stolen.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Perfect - that's just thread I needed to read. Thanks.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

predictive posted:

Yeah, after watching some of the best riders in the world unable to make it through that section, I wondered if the course designers will think "Hey, maybe we should tone this poo poo down next year." I'm all for challenge, but I wanted to watch enduro *riding* in addition to enduro dirt-bike-pulling.

Pretty sure the owner/promoter of the event has said before that he wants a race that no one can finish. Toughest race in the world.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I didn't expect to sit in my computer chair and watch the full 4.5 hours of that. Homie shaking his butt for the camera as they were going under the bridge at the top of downtown was appreciated.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Silver posted:

Pretty sure the owner/promoter of the event has said before that he wants a race that no one can finish. Toughest race in the world.

Start all racers in a giant steel box. Close and bolt the door. Problem solved.

That's a stupid thing to want - I'd much rather see folks pushed up to the limit of what they're capable of but with the possibility of success.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I remember an article about how trials courses are designed. The designer said something along the lines of "I walk through the woods looking for something that looks impossible to ride over, and make it part of the track".

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Deeters posted:

I remember an article about how trials courses are designed. The designer said something along the lines of "I walk through the woods looking for something that looks impossible to ride over, and make it part of the track".

Verified. We found this when looking for new sections for our 2013 NATC national.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

builds character posted:

Start all racers in a giant steel box. Close and bolt the door. Problem solved.

That's a stupid thing to want - I'd much rather see folks pushed up to the limit of what they're capable of but with the possibility of success.

Well to be fair that's exactly what happened: some of the riders at least managed to get over as a group but not individually. I'd say they went too far though

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

mrking posted:

Well to be fair that's exactly what happened: some of the riders at least managed to get over as a group but not individually. I'd say they went too far though

Yeah, I just meant I want to be able to see them succeed actually riding their own bikes and not forming a mountaineering expedition.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Some perspective from Johnny Walker:
http://www.enduro21.com/index.php/component/k2/item/2930-jonny-walker%E2%80%99s-erzberg-chit-chat

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.
After a fork seal change (refilled with Mobil 1 ATF, the manual can suck it) in the KTM of Theseus, I decided to do my first decent ride on a local trail (Emma Long Metropolitan Park) that has a few larger rock climbs. I cleaned most of them, but stalled out at the top of one due to incompetence, dropped the bike, and came away with a much shorter clutch lever. It was an object lesson in commitment.

Also holy poo poo, compared to mountain biking, dirt bikes are straight cheating. Rear end squirrely on a drop? Add some throttle. Hit a climb not exactly square? Throttle out. Pick a bad line through a rock garden? THROTTLE.

Anyway, I've replaced the clutch lever and installed some Cycra handguards; here's hoping I get to keep both levers on this weekend's ride. I also asked around about local enduro racing. No chance that'll become a time and money suck, right?

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

builds character posted:

Pretty much shooting for that but also wants it to be the absolute toughest race on the circuit every year as well. If you watched it (checkout redbull tv if you haven't) this year that kinda did actually happen, it was too hard. The ending was good though nice to see that kind of camaraderie.

Crazy race, I wanna go spec it sometime.

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

predictive posted:

Also holy poo poo, compared to mountain biking, dirt bikes are straight cheating. Rear end squirrely on a drop? Add some throttle. Hit a climb not exactly square? Throttle out. Pick a bad line through a rock garden? THROTTLE.

lol a mtb'ers famous last words.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

So last Saturday after motocross trail work the few of us that showed up to do the ditch digging and rock throwing got to ride on a pretty empty track. Anna and myself were the only people there who don't actually race motocross, and it's always funny to have us enduro people on the track with our lights and license plates, but anyway.

I was feeling really good, so I decided to go out with the fast group and follow them. It went pretty great until we hit this small table that those guys wayyy over jump and land to flat. Naturally, I followed them, and found the limit of my enduro valved suspension as hard as I ever had before. I bottomed out so bad my skidplate dragged in the sand and was ripped off (plastic skidplate). Despite having jacked up my compression before going out, there's no substitute for properly tuned suspension.

And that's why I have lots of rocky mountain MC rewards points.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

VTNewb posted:

And that's why I have lots of rocky mountain MC rewards points.

At least you landed it! Every time I try to jump something I end up with a bike on my head.

I buy nearly everything from Rocky Mountain,mostly because the bike fit calculator hasn't failed me yet. The new tires I just bought there are a revelation compared to the 11 year old rubber that was on the KTM. Took the bike out to climb some rocks and was ice skating everywhere. I finally realized the shop that mounted them put like 50psi in each tire. A bit of an air down and it was like I had bought a new bike; I only crashed every ten minutes instead of every five.

I also re-covered my seat with some grippy stuff just for looks, and it turned out to be an awesome move, since I can move the bike with my knees way better than before. Now I just have to find somewhere to ride where I can get out of second gear.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Just the crashes/hero moment. Will do a longer video later, but p sure this is all you wanted to really see. lol. First 2 crashes were in the first 15 minutes of riding. Hero moment would have been a 3rd bad crash but I hit the gas instead of the brakes (You don't care but GO ME instead of hitting brakes and hucking myself over the bars I did the right thing and hit gas and leaned back, considering the start of my day, that was a hero moment) then last one was just a fall over after riding for a bit, but yep done. :)

Basically after talking with a veteran rider I messed up by not going slower at the very start and checking track conditions. I was AMPED to be out riding and just went 100% right off the bat. Should have taken some time to warm up more before going full blast. Also lol while driving to track I thought to myself "Hrm, I haven't even dropped the 250 yet" ung famous last words. Oops.

https://youtu.be/q5Z19EQxe4E

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

A+ did laugh

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

VTNewb posted:

A+ did laugh

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

So I'm a bit puzzled on how to use my go-pro chest mount. See below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD6ZqZ-nSUU

Looks great when I sit, points at the seat when I stand. How do people get this to work?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Flip the camera.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Yeah, what n8 said. With it straight up and down even tilted back as far as it will go if you're not sitting the whole time it's going to get a lot of the front fender/bars when you're standing. Good one n8 though I never even thought to flip it, I just use helmet mount and call it good.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Second try at adjusting the camera in which I follow then pass my girlfriend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPdHoWHutYY&feature=youtu.be

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Our buddy Kevin is competing on Romaniacs. He's provided some footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpzADvvrmP8

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I did my first enduro on sunday. Well, I started my first enduro. After getting my rear end kicked for 14 miles I ate a tree and broke one of my radiators putting myself out.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

bird cooch posted:

I did my first enduro on sunday. Well, I started my first enduro. After getting my rear end kicked for 14 miles I ate a tree and broke one of my radiators putting myself out.

Niiiiiiice

Mylers radiator is who I use.

Watsabi
Jul 4, 2012
I spent the day at Washougal for the Lucas Oil MX Championship race series. The rain made some good racing out on the slick muddy track. I bailed after the first motos to beat the traffic because I had to get back to Portland for a buddies reception. We should have had it at the track.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Decided to rest for the first time in a decade and let a minorly torn shoulder that I injured years ago really heal with physical therapy. As a result, the summer break from enduro is longer for me, and I'll be working my first enduro this weekend. I'll be taking lots of pictures.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

n8r posted:

Flip the camera.

This actually really helped me, I stupidly forgot these things can enter Flip Mode!

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I haven't been out riding forever. Just replaced the float valve and starter clutch in my gf's trx450er. Runs awesome now, but we are prepping it for selling. Down to my RM125 and my KX250 that needs an engine rebuild. Sold the CRF450R.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Watsabi posted:

I spent the day at Washougal for the Lucas Oil MX Championship race series. The rain made some good racing out on the slick muddy track. I bailed after the first motos to beat the traffic because I had to get back to Portland for a buddies reception. We should have had it at the track.

I'm doing the KTM demo day out at Washougal on the 24th! Two laps on each SX bike, it should be fun! Best part is I don't have to wash any bikes afterwards.

I took motocross lessons yesterday from an ex pro. We did turning drills, focusing on body position and timing. No matter how many times you read "elbows up, leg out" it's a lot more meaningful to get input on what you're actually doing.