Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Two other spoilers.

Potential rumored summary of the first manga issue:

quote:

Basically. Goku imagines fighting Freeza/Cell/Boo while farming; Goten's off from school and is helping him out. Satan shows up and offers him money from the world peace prize (kind of sounds like the DB Earth equivalent of the Noble). Goku refuses at first (he wasn't the only one who fought Boo after all, and even Satan did his part), but finally agrees to accept some of the prize when Goten points out that with it, Chi Chi will probably allow him to stop farming and go off and train at Kaio's.

Meanwhile, out in space Beerus is having a big meal prepared for him by the inhabitants of some planet scheduled for destruction (the idea apparently being that he'll spare the planet if he likes their food). The aliens poison the meal, but it doesn't work on Beerus. Ultimately Beerus destroys the planet as scheduled, but the name of one of the dishes (the "Soup Yasai Jinkot") rings a bell with him: it reminds him of the "Super Saiyan God" from his prophetic dream. Beerus and Whis decide to head back home, so that Beerus can try and remember better. Meanwhile, the Kaioshins are keeping tabs on Beerus: East Kaioshin notes that a planet has been wiped out, while Elder Kaioshin has an uneasy premonition.

So, Goku seems set to head to Kaio's to train, while Beerus only knows of Super Saiyan God from his dream. In other words, all signs point to this being a prequel to (possibly an alternate version of) BoG.

A few more details:

Goten's off from school (since it's Sunday), and has brought his dad some bento. Goku has Goten drive the tractor while he eats the bento. Once it's finished, he turns into a Super Saiyan, then closes his eyes and imagines fighting Freeza/Cell/Pure Boo. While he does this, Goten drives off a cliff...so Goku saves Goten and the tractor (the tractor he throws back up to the top of the cliff). Goku says he's training in case someone strong like Boo ever turns up, but Chi Chi wants him to work (cue "mom's the real strongest in the universe" joke from Goten). Goten says grandpa Gyuumao is out of money, but Chi Chi thinks Goku ought to be able to get a job that would earn some money, like Mister Satan. Goku says he just likes to train.

And who should show up at that moment but Mister Satan himself (speak of the devil)? He wants Goku to have the 100 million zenny peace prize he received for beating Boo, since he doesn't feel he deserves it. Goku has to have it explained to him that 100 million zenny is 100,000 zenny one thousand times over. This freaks Goku out, and he doesn't want such an insane amount of money. Then of course he agrees when Goten points out that with the money, he wouldn't have to work and could just go to Kaio's to train.

With the Beerus/Whis stuff...I think I already covered everything. Beerus isn't terribly upset that the aliens try and kill him with poison (he mostly just thinks they're stupid for believing poison would work on him). Yet he still destroys their planet anyway, something he matter-of-factly announces ahead of time after trying their "Soup Yasai Jinkot"(the aliens then try and shoot him, but obviously that doesn't work either).

And the name of the new character:

quote:

"彼の名はシャンパ!!" His name is Champ (Shanp)!

Curious to see how this translates into English, as we already have one Champ!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Ha, good that they're keeping the naming conventions.
Gotta have some CHAMPaigne with that beer and whiskey eh?

HGH fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jun 18, 2015

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Webbeh posted:

Two other spoilers.

Potential rumored summary of the first manga issue:

And the name of the new character:

Curious to see how this translates into English, as we already have one Champ!

quote:

Goku has to have it explained to him that 100 million zenny is 100,000 zenny one thousand times over. This freaks Goku out, and he doesn't want such an insane amount of money. Then of course he agrees when Goten points out that with the money, he wouldn't have to work and could just go to Kaio's to train.

lol this could be straight out of DBZA

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
It's everything I ever hoped for :allears:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
For those of you into these guys:

Comicon Exclusive

:aaa:

December 2015

January 2016

:3:

:aaaaa:

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 18, 2015

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
DB Super sounds so cool. I wonder if Toriyama has watched any of Abridged?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I hope the whole thing isn't a prequel to the new movies.. I want them to catch up by the end of the first arc. We know everyone is happily alive by the first movie, so if there's no credible threat, then new baddies won't be as entertaining to me. It's the same reason I can't get into network shows anymore. These actors are under contract for multiple seasons, you're not going to kill someone off, so they're automatically going to win every fight and survive every gunshot.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Its DBZ, there is no such thing as a credible threat.

Anyone who dies will be revived by the dragonballs.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
The real issue I have is that, despite knowing that the Dragon Balls will always be magical reset buttons, there's no chance for real drama when you know all of the cast makes it out of Super alive/unchanged because the epilogue of Z has them all showing up, and there's no new characters either. Toriyama drew an image of the full cast (minus a few people like Launch/the Kaios) in their epilogue appearances. I'd really like it if Super kind of plays catch up at first and then has a time skip to post-epilogue so we can see Uub and Pan grown up, as well as Goku and Vegeta showing off SSGSS.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

New Leaf posted:

I hope the whole thing isn't a prequel to the new movies.. I want them to catch up by the end of the first arc. We know everyone is happily alive by the first movie, so if there's no credible threat, then new baddies won't be as entertaining to me. It's the same reason I can't get into network shows anymore. These actors are under contract for multiple seasons, you're not going to kill someone off, so they're automatically going to win every fight and survive every gunshot.

Everything we hear says that it goes into and past the new movies.

The most likely progression is: works its way up to BoG, Bog happens, works its way up to Revival of F, Revival F happens, then all new stuff.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Ahh that dragon rules.

http://tamashii.jp/special/dragonball/

You missed the best ones...

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Webbeh posted:

Ahh that dragon rules.

You missed the best ones...

I posted battle damaged SSJ Goku, but not SSGSS Goku since it had been announced for a while. I have the original release Trunks (:c00l:), base Goku, SSJ Goku, SSJ Gohan, and I have Piccolo and SSGSS Goku on pre-order at BBTS, but none of the Vegetas. He's not my favorite character, but I know I want at least one version of him. I think I'll pick up his Cell Saga AND SSGSS versions because I hate money. The SDCC exclusive Goku and battle damaged SSJ Goku are too good to pass up. I think I'll probably end up with every Goku figure because, again, I hate money.

I'm going to a convention in a week so I'll be on the look out for any other figures I might want, but I'm pretty happy with not collecting the villains apart from the arguable Beerus. I'd love a Krillin, but I'm on the fence about SSJ3 Goku, Ultimate Gohan and Vegetto. I like the Buu Saga a lot more than I remember, so if I can find them for reasonable prices, I'll grab 'em, but as it is, I'm happy with the ones I have.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I was about to ask what are the chances we might see Pikkon during this series and then realized how weird it is Dragonball skipped straight over the other four cardinal directions of it's own dimensions for story arcs and villains to just jump straight in to other dimensions. I suppose it makes sense since Freeza was apparently the strongest in this universe and all, but poo poo, Buu was already lurking around there even giving Cell a pass as something that wasn't around at the time, so you'd think they'd have done something with the other Kaio's and parts of the universe at some point really.

Who is the new character that the second spoiler mentions anyways? He doesn't appear to be mentioned at all in the first, so do we know what role he has or anything?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

tsob posted:

Who is the new character that the second spoiler mentions anyways? He doesn't appear to be mentioned at all in the first, so do we know what role he has or anything?

It's fat Beerus.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Those figures look cool as poo poo and I will never own any of them. :(

I hope what they do with some of the episodes is show some extended stuff of the movies, like Pilaf's own quest for the Dragonballs, or Mr. Satan trying his best to distract Goten and Trunks from noticing all the powerful auras on the planet.

And Freiza training montage.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Pureauthor posted:

It's fat Beerus.

If his name is Champ then I'm betting it comes from Champagne. He's obviously the more cultured and refined one of the two. I want his dub voice to basically be someone doing their most over-the-top Thurston Howell impression.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Fuego Fish posted:

If his name is Champ then I'm betting it comes from Champagne. He's obviously the more cultured and refined one of the two. I want his dub voice to basically be someone doing their most over-the-top Thurston Howell impression.

That would be glorious. :allears:

Reinanigans posted:

For those of you into these guys:

[all these amazing Figuarts figures]

oh god i want them all :neckbeard:

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

CharlestheHammer posted:

Its DBZ, there is no such thing as a credible threat.

Anyone who dies will be revived by the dragonballs.

How is this true when the world has essentially ended twice?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

sharktamer posted:

How is this true when the world has essentially ended twice?

Because they're on really good terms with both the North Kai and the Namekians, meaning it's piss easy get the whole planet wished back.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
The above summary appears to be spot-on.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

What would Goku's power level be if he had a shotgun?

I like how the rickety-rear end 1940s tractor is made by Capsule Corp.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Goku is Bulma's -- one of the world's wealthiest people -- oldest friend and has saved her more times than Goku can count. How the hell does he need a job? I know he isn't a moocher and that may play into it, but you'd think Bulma's birthday gifts to Goku alone would be enough to keep him financially afloat, if the prizes for her Bingo! tournament were any indication.

Covok fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 18, 2015

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I wouldn't get too hyped for the goofy, slice-of-life side of things, the way they've presented it so far kind of sounds like its the calm before the storm for another DBZ adventure. It does look amazing though and something I've definitely wanted to see from Dragonball for a while

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Why doesn't Goku just grab the plow from the back of the tractor and drag it around? That would kind of be like training.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

New Leaf posted:

Why doesn't Goku just grab the plow from the back of the tractor and drag it around? That would kind of be like training.

Forget the plow, he did that poo poo by hand as a kid!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Since it's Goku, I imagine working a tractor is actually way more taxing to him than plowing a field by hand, which would take him near-zero amount of effort.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Zonekeeper posted:

Forget the plow, he did that poo poo by hand as a kid!

And now he's literally a billion times stronger. This is the only way to make sure he doesn't accidentally crack the planet in half when he spaces out. Because he's gonna space out, he's Goku doing chores.

Still, good to see those driving lessons came in handy.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fuego Fish posted:

And now he's literally a billion times stronger. This is the only way to make sure he doesn't accidentally crack the planet in half when he spaces out. Because he's gonna space out, he's Goku doing chores.

Still, good to see those driving lessons came in handy.

poo poo, that's right. Driving cars is now undisputably canon.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Aurain posted:

poo poo, that's right. Driving cars is now undisputably canon.

He's driving at 10 and 2, he's LEARNING

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Now we just need to see Piccolo tear off his cape to reveal POST BOY underneath and the world shall be glorious.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Covok posted:

Goku is Bulma's -- one of the world's wealthiest people -- oldest friend and has saved her more times than Goku can count. How the hell does he need a job? I know he isn't a moocher and that may play into it, but you'd think Bulma's birthday gifts to Goku alone would be enough to keep him financially afloat, if the prizes for her Bingo! tournament were any indication.

Did you forget the Great Saiyaman saga? Either Chi Chi is too prideful, or Bulma is stingy in giving money because they were clearly broke and was the only reason why she let Gohan purposely fight in a tournament.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I hope the main villain of DBS works for a huge Wal-Martish corporation or something that threatens Goku's livelihood as a radish farmer.

EDIT:

A nine-star Dragon Ball???!!!

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 18, 2015

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Gohan looks ready for some hardcore hitting the books in that picture.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Gohan's married to Videl, daughter of the perennial world champion. Goku and Chichi should have zero money problems ever.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Gohan's married to Videl, daughter of the perennial world champion. Goku and Chichi should have zero money problems ever.

To be fair, I think the beginning of Super predates that marriage so that's not the case quite yet.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zonekeeper posted:

To be fair, I think the beginning of Super predates that marriage so that's not the case quite yet.

Fine, he's dating Mr. Satan's daughter and also they saved the world and Mr. Satan knows that. I'm sure he could be "convinced" to subsidize the Saiyans.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Some Numbers posted:

Fine, he's dating Mr. Satan's daughter and also they saved the world and Mr. Satan knows that. I'm sure he could be "convinced" to subsidize the Saiyans.
Well, to talk about those manga spoilers for a moment,
So basically exactly what he apparently does?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Mr Satan forms a Sentai team, with himself as the lead using the Z fighters to help promote himself as well as enrich the rest of them financially thanks to lucrative merchandising rights. Krillin, Goku, Mr. Buu and a very reluctant Piccolo fill out the ranks. They go around rescuing kittens, putting out fires and doing other rather mundane hero jobs, the rest of them training hard while Krillin trains Mr. Satan, eventually teaching him to fly and throw a kamehameha wave or something so that he can look cool as hell for the cameras and help him bond with the group and with Gohan, the teams accountant and manager to boot. Videl and Gohan can be the team's extra members, debuting just in time to help them out in them out of some minor jam. Mr Satan eventually takes on some mooks alongside the rest in the first big brawl.

Who doesn't want to be saved by "The Satan Force" after all?

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 19, 2015

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Nobody's pointed out the crisis that's already facing the Z-Warriors in this new series?

The Ox King's out of money!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Archenteron posted:

Nobody's pointed out the crisis that's already facing the Z-Warriors in this new series?

The Ox King's out of money!

It's maybe a little telling but I honestly thought that Goku and Chi Chi living off the Ox King's money was just a joke that Team Four Star just made up, but here we are.

• Locked thread