Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yep. It might sound cruel, but the best and safest way to clip their teeth is to startle them into freezing up like rodents do. Then you've got about 20 seconds to perfectly position the clippers to cut the teeth. Just absolutely make sure no skin/tongue etc are in the clippers so you don't injure the poor thing.

One of the babies won't chew on anything, even the flavored chews everyone else chews on, so I just clip her teeth every few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

So sorry about Spook, she was a lovely little thing. It's nice that she went quickly and peacefully in her bed though :unsmith:

Good tip Invictus, I haven't needed to clip teeth yet but I'll have to get a pair of those clippers in case I can't find a vet to do it some day.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's super easy to do if they've just woken up. Definitely not worth a vet trip/bill.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

So my girlfriend has developed ringworm and we suspect it is from one of our guinea pigs. It's on her neck where all of the pigs like to snuggle up when she has them out. Two of them live together and one lives in a separate cage. Is there a way to see which pig(s) have it and which are clean? Or is it likely that they are all infected anyway?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Bring to vet. Jaysus.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

We figured out which pig has the ringworm and took her to the vet. She's got some ointment now that should clear it up in a couple weeks.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Just a general question:

I recently rescued a bonded pair of guinea pigs. One male at 1.5 years (neutered), one female around 6 months (will be spayed in a year or so). They get along great. I've had them for about three weeks and I know it takes them a while to get used to two people being around them fairly frequently but I've had to give the male ear drops for an infection and he HATES being touched and even worse to be picked up.
After an examination, his ears are all torn up and the vet says he was either in a cage with a rival or abused by a person.

So, now that his ear drops are done, he sometimes chatters and hides when he hears my voice. I'm feeding him by hand on his terms but am worried he's going to see me as a threat. The female is hyper but has no issue being touched or held.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Inzombiac posted:

Just a general question:

I recently rescued a bonded pair of guinea pigs. One male at 1.5 years (neutered), one female around 6 months (will be spayed in a year or so). They get along great. I've had them for about three weeks and I know it takes them a while to get used to two people being around them fairly frequently but I've had to give the male ear drops for an infection and he HATES being touched and even worse to be picked up.
After an examination, his ears are all torn up and the vet says he was either in a cage with a rival or abused by a person.

So, now that his ear drops are done, he sometimes chatters and hides when he hears my voice. I'm feeding him by hand on his terms but am worried he's going to see me as a threat. The female is hyper but has no issue being touched or held.

It will probably just take time for them to get used to you. If the male was abused by people its possible he will act that way towards you for a long time. I rescued a pig a few years back who had been in FIVE homes before mine. She was gentle but always afraid of me, and never ever made a sound. I'm assuming in at least one of her homes she was probably very poorly treated or just her constant moving around was traumatizing. I had her for maybe a year and a half before she died and she never really changed. :(

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah, I'm trying to manage my expectations. I've had rats and they could not get enough handling. They'd scramble up the cage to be held. These pigs, not so much yet.

Then again, they talk a lot and nearly popcorn themselves to death over fresh hay.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
While not exactly pets, I found a nest of baby bunnies while raking leaves in the back yard. Eight little fuzzballs, and I watched'em grow over the next week. Then I went to go take a picture of them since the nest was a bit more open than normal the prior day, and they had already left. Oh well!

Also I figured out how to avoid the musking from the female hamsters, if you startle them to wake them up, they excrete it. They also do it when you pick them up. So instead I blow gently on them when they're asleep if I want to hold them, and then let them walk onto my hand before lifting them up, and they're fine. If I happen to startle them while holding them though(which is annoyingly easy to do), they'll still do it.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I have a sort of an odd request. Neither I nor the other person who takes care of Babs the Hamster is going to be able to really take care of her over the summer, especially since we'll be away from the state for Summer Break.

However, the other person will be studying abroad after summer break, and I will be going down to Washington D.C. to continue my studies there. Seeing as how we'd really like to keep the hamster, obviously I will be taking care of her. Our current plan is to hand her off to a friend for the Summer, then I will settle down in D.C. after the summer and immediately after drive up to pick her up then take her back home with me.

Do you guys have any advice to make this plan go smoothly? Or suggestions as to better ideas?

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

That musking thing is weird. Tho tbh I'd rather have that than Cc suddenly becoming an Olympic high jumper if someone closes a door, it's very stressful.

How long a drive is it to DC Artificer? She should be okay in a car if the temperature is okay and you don't take corners too fast! I use a little Ferplast combi 1 as a transport cage since it has a water bottle and enough space for a hideaway and keep that on my lap with the big cage in the boot. If you can't fit a water bottle some people just use cool cucumber slices to keep them hydrated on longer journeys.

Make sure you properly brief your friend too, mum has been keeping Cc for a few weeks and apparently has no idea how much she's been eating, she just keeps the bowl full and gives her peanuts every day. She's going to get faaaat :argh:

She can get some more exercise is this unreasonably large thing I decided she absolutely needed because I'm stupid.

(I actually love it I'm so excited and hey look now there's a perfectly sized cage for a little dwarf who won't get stuck in tubes!)

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

teenytinymouse posted:

How long a drive is it to DC Artificer? She should be okay in a car if the temperature is okay and you don't take corners too fast! I use a little Ferplast combi 1 as a transport cage since it has a water bottle and enough space for a hideaway and keep that on my lap with the big cage in the boot. If you can't fit a water bottle some people just use cool cucumber slices to keep them hydrated on longer journeys.

Unfortunately it is roughly 8-9 hours long. Gonna be pretty tough on her. Is it doable?

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Eeek. I honestly don't know then. I've heard of some people driving maybe 3 hours to a show or something but I haven't heard of anyone doing 8. If the car was quiet and the roads were smooth and she could maybe just curl up and sleep I think she'd be okay but if she was agitated for that long it might not be good for her at all :( if that's your only option then that's you only option and she might not even care so long as she's not jostled too much and you get her used to the transport cage a bit beforehand.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online

Artificer posted:

Unfortunately it is roughly 8-9 hours long. Gonna be pretty tough on her. Is it doable?

On the other hand, I took my hamster on a 6 hour journey to Illinois and she was perfectly okay. I kept her in her normal cage and she had no problems whatsoever - in fact she didn't seem to even care or notice that anything was happening. She banged her wheel the entire goddamn way. If she's in a stable spot in the car I would guess that there won't be too many problems, just makes sure her water doesn't spill out.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

tentawesome posted:

On the other hand, I took my hamster on a 6 hour journey to Illinois and she was perfectly okay. I kept her in her normal cage and she had no problems whatsoever - in fact she didn't seem to even care or notice that anything was happening. She banged her wheel the entire goddamn way. If she's in a stable spot in the car I would guess that there won't be too many problems, just makes sure her water doesn't spill out.

Ok I'll keep that in mind, thanks. Make sure things are as familiar for her as possible. Last time I took her on a much shorter road trip she kept running on her wheel too.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

We took the hamster on holiday once, that was a few hours in the car there and then back a week later, I seem to remember him being fine too.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Nettle Soup posted:

We took the hamster on holiday once, that was a few hours in the car there and then back a week later, I seem to remember him being fine too.

Great! Yeah I was going to be really upset if I was going to have to give her up. :)

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I used to drive my pigs on journeys 6 hours each way and it was the only time they'd shut the hell up and sit still but they never seemed REALLY freaked out by it, just a general prey animal response to STRANGE PLACE AND MOVING SENSATIONS

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I took my chinchillas on a 21 hour/2.5 day road trip from DC to Texas and then on a 12 hour car ride during tornado season up to Nebraska from Texas. Both are fine and none the worse for wear (they do get mad at me when the travel cages come out now though). However chinchillas may be a little more resilient than hamsters.

Edit: the whole time both trips I had them covered with a thick towel to block the sun and never left them without A/C. If I had to stop to pee I'd crank the A/C high as it would go to freeze the car then pee as fast as possible. Food breaks were always drive-thrus and I'd eat in the car with it running.

Problem! fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 17, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I can't help but post this, I am loving this new series on youtube. tiny hamsters doing tiny things. The most recent one is amaaaaaazing. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQte2nz80Is&hd=1

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Oh my goooooood! :3:

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Our hamster enjoys peanut butter!

SweetPotato
Jan 11, 2014

Sagacity posted:

Our hamster enjoys peanut butter!

^ Unfortunately our sweet little hammie Pippi passed away today :(

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Condolences. It really sucks that hamsters are such fleeting creatures, I've had a few that I really would have loved to have for 5 or 10 years. Especially Max. :(

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

RIP Pippi :(

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Somehow I ended up with some pigs.

This is Lucifer:

And this is Vesper:

Both are about six months old. Lucifer's currently in quarantine with the sniffles. Once he gets over those, he's getting neutered and then we're going to try introducing them. Both are really sweet; Lucifer runs laps and popcorns around his tiny pet store cage, the poor guy.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

King Hotpants posted:

This is Lucifer:

And this is Vesper:

Both are about six months old. Lucifer's currently in quarantine with the sniffles. Once he gets over those, he's getting neutered and then we're going to try introducing them. Both are really sweet; Lucifer runs laps and popcorns around his tiny pet store cage, the poor guy.

Oh man I :h: all-black piggies so much. :3: :3: :3:

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
They are both adorable :)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Here's Cowboy, one of the babies, sleeping inside my shirt and on my shoulder. Upside down.

In these photos he's basically at this angle: \

Such an adorable little poo poo. He keeps kicking his little feet while he's dreaming.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

:drat: he's not shy! :v: I'm so jealous of cuddly hand raised little babies! I love rescuing but the most I get is a cursory sniff to check I'm still not food from this one.

crazycarl
Jun 13, 2001

Welcome to TB Diddlers in Mokena.

Where the special is always Dr Rassmusin's Hot Beef Injection and you can play "Whers my Manometer" with other diners

King Hotpants posted:

This is Lucifer:

And this is Vesper:

Vesper is in shock you stuck a camera in her face instead of veggies

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

crazycarl posted:

Vesper is in shock you stuck a camera in her face instead of veggies

Vesper was kind of stressed out and bug-eyed when we got her. We think this is because she had a lovely time at the shelter (she also had some scabs, likely from a fight with another pig). She is much less "Oh god don't eat me" now that she's been here a few weeks. Her wounds have all healed up and hair is growing back. Happy pigs!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

King Hotpants posted:

Vesper was kind of stressed out and bug-eyed when we got her. We think this is because she had a lovely time at the shelter (she also had some scabs, likely from a fight with another pig). She is much less "Oh god don't eat me" now that she's been here a few weeks. Her wounds have all healed up and hair is growing back. Happy pigs!

Hope they've been getting lots of veggies and petting. We need more pictures though. Uh... for proof!

minema
May 31, 2011
Guinea pigs are dangerous animals, you have to have a relationship of mutual trust to tame them.

... yes I have recently been to see Jurassic World, why do you ask?

Also please ignore the mess, we are in the process of moving!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

How do you get them to not run right off the table

Because I don't put mine on tables anymore because they will exactly do that

Maybe I just get the dumbest pigs

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Adult Sword Owner posted:

We have put our pigs on many strange surfaces and have never had an accident. Mostly, they just sort of sit there, resigning themselves to the fact that this is just how the universe is now. But in general though, pigs don't have many gears in between "I am completely dumbfounded by existence itself" and "OHGOD A LOUD NOISE MAYBE IF I RUN IN A CIRCLE I WON'T BE THE ONE WHO GETS EATEN", so your mileage may vary.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Yeh I suspect I just got the worst wired pigs. When I first had one years ago as a baby pig one of the first things I tried was putting her on my computer table and he immediately bolted off it and went flying. No damage but dammit pig.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Mine just crawls into the nearest small space and goes to sleep, often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I think it's just a matter of how physically active they are. Out the ones I've had only 1 tended to jump off tables and she was crazily agile for a pig. How she didn't didn't break every bone in her body doing it however is frankly beyond me. drat near had a panic attack when it first happened.