Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Irish Joe posted:

Goldberg had an online meltdown, claimed he was playing a character the whole time and swore off Harmontown forever.

That doesn't read like a meltdown but that is a shame. I always liked Goldberg because he was sort of the id of the audience and, frankly, one of very few audience members who actually pulled off a character in the show besides Spencer of course (or as Dan sort of put it, every show needs its Hamburglar).

But with Spencer becoming somewhat inured to his position (in some sense this only started after he learned he could take sabbaticals), his reactions and behavior becoming less endearingly geeky and more of show-man (this particularly showed when they toured for the movie) and with Goldberg now being gone, some of the charm Harmontown once had with its sort-of-cozy relationship with its audience is now gone.

But I suppose something that becomes popular must always go this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Sure, you all think it has lost its charm NOW, but wait until Dan gets suddenly replaced as host for a year.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I haven't noticed anything particular having changed about spencer, it's like trying to see glaciers move. As for Dan I never got why you'd get worked up about his opinions or how he formulates them. I just find them funny as he's generally a funny guy who knows how to throw in a joke or two. Maybe that makes me the cancer that perpetuates society but I have never found myself then regurgitating his opinions as my own if that's what the fear is? All the craziest rants and opinions just leave me with a general sense of "well now I know his opinion on that, he said it in a pretty fun way".
I mean the guy doesn't like to take showers because it hurts his skin, that says it all really in terms of what you're going to expect to hear.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
I never really minded Goldberg at all, and it's weird to hear the negativity toward him after all the poo poo about Harmontown being all inclusive. On the other hand, Harmon often puts himself in a position by finding audience members to bring up much in the same way textbook publishers look for models for photos: do we have a girl up here yet? A black guy? Someone in a wheelchair yet? I understand what he's trying to do but as others have said there are a lot of times that these people don't exactly know how to operate on stage.

It's weird because no one wants to keep listening to someone who's fallen flat and isn't working out but at the same time it's uncomfortable to hear the audience shouting, "No!" to the idea of bringing one specific person up. How many people in the audience have ever been shot down by a whole audience before? I'd hate to be the girl that just heard everyone yell that they don't want her on stage.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Remember that girl with the fedora that said that one dude didnt have a gf?

God I wish there was video from that.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Ghost Stromboli posted:

I never really minded Goldberg at all, and it's weird to hear the negativity toward him after all the poo poo about Harmontown being all inclusive. On the other hand, Harmon often puts himself in a position by finding audience members to bring up much in the same way textbook publishers look for models for photos: do we have a girl up here yet? A black guy? Someone in a wheelchair yet? I understand what he's trying to do but as others have said there are a lot of times that these people don't exactly know how to operate on stage.

It's weird because no one wants to keep listening to someone who's fallen flat and isn't working out but at the same time it's uncomfortable to hear the audience shouting, "No!" to the idea of bringing one specific person up. How many people in the audience have ever been shot down by a whole audience before? I'd hate to be the girl that just heard everyone yell that they don't want her on stage.

The racist(?) girl and the guy who lied about having a girlfriend at least.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
Admittedly some people definitely dig a hole for themselves. I forget what racist girl you're talking about - maybe I zoned out during whatever episode she was on - but the fake girlfriend situation was bizarre. That's the sort of lie that makes people look insane, because they had to build an alternate life scenario. Maybe that guy was in a desperate place at the time.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Ghost Stromboli posted:

Admittedly some people definitely dig a hole for themselves. I forget what racist girl you're talking about - maybe I zoned out during whatever episode she was on - but the fake girlfriend situation was bizarre. That's the sort of lie that makes people look insane, because they had to build an alternate life scenario. Maybe that guy was in a desperate place at the time.
Um, the issue is that the girl was lieing, not the guy.

The girl barley knew the dude and just started acting as a truth authority.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Ghost Stromboli posted:

The blind guy was racist. The girl who was booed off the stage said that gay couples usually conform to traditional masculine and feminine roles.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Irish Joe posted:

The blind guy was racist. The girl who was booed off the stage said that gay couples usually conform to traditional masculine and feminine roles.

Sorry I couldn't remember what lovely belief that girl had so I bee lined for racist rather than sexist/homophobic.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

All those people have been on once, three times at the most (Anie?). All of them have been invited, in some cases made enough noise to be close to heckling which probably prompted them coming up, but they still waited.
Three times in the span of the entire Harmontown is easily something you can ignore or overlook.

Goldberg used to just barge up and over a multitude of episodes. If you bought the Harmontown deluxe thing where you get to see all the roadshows the show before they start the tour is a great example. Even the cameraman is surprised. All of a sudden Dan turns around and a guy from the audience has jumped on stage

"Jesus christ"

If you have the video and haven't seen it it's worth watching for the awkward tension

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Zsinjeh posted:

All those people have been on once, three times at the most (Anie?). All of them have been invited, in some cases made enough noise to be close to heckling which probably prompted them coming up, but they still waited.
Three times in the span of the entire Harmontown is easily something you can ignore or overlook.

Goldberg used to just barge up and over a multitude of episodes. If you bought the Harmontown deluxe thing where you get to see all the roadshows the show before they start the tour is a great example. Even the cameraman is surprised. All of a sudden Dan turns around and a guy from the audience has jumped on stage

"Jesus christ"

If you have the video and haven't seen it it's worth watching for the awkward tension

See it's moments like this that made Goldberg such an icon in my opinion. At least he took the "audience member becomes part of the show" thing all the way and regaled in his role as the Hamburglar, as opposed to most of the people Dan actively brings on who are either genuinely awkward or painfully unfunny or both.

Goldberg was more representative of what Harmon's fans hate about themselves than the people Harmon brings on stage because the latter are always interested in presenting their good side rather than an honest representation of themselves and giving no shits about it.

So of course he gets the brunt of the hatred for representing everything they hate about themselves and having no shame. But at the same time, he acted as a sort of foil to burst Harmon's tendency to get wrapped up in himself a little too much by helping to refocus the show on something outside of Dan for a few minutes.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 12, 2015

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

I think people are putting way too much thought into what Goldberg ~represents in all of us~ as opposed to what actually happens on the show. A fun tangent or rant by Dan is interrupted by awkward made man adding nothing to the show. If people are so anxiously waiting for a hero to interrupt Dan and his show why are you even listening in the first place? At least the Hamburglar only shows up in 10 seconds of an ad, not for minutes talking about his quiz or twitter and tries to do a rap to keep staying in the spotlight instead of taking the social cues to gently caress off the stage

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Zsinjeh posted:

I think people are putting way too much thought into what Goldberg ~represents in all of us~ as opposed to what actually happens on the show. A fun tangent or rant by Dan is interrupted by awkward made man adding nothing to the show. If people are so anxiously waiting for a hero to interrupt Dan and his show why are you even listening in the first place? At least the Hamburglar only shows up in 10 seconds of an ad, not for minutes talking about his quiz or twitter and tries to do a rap to keep staying in the spotlight instead of taking the social cues to gently caress off the stage

They aren't though. Goldberg represents the target of the 4-Minutes Hate, but at the same time represents a singular character I wouldn't give up. I'd rather have Goldberg appearing every couple shows than the usual Bitcoiner/token-minority/let's-bring-up-an-audience-member/got-a-brain-that-does-aneurysms person.

At least Goldberg always has seemed to have something weird going on about him (shark movies, casts, brothers who hated him as much as the audience did, roommates with weird full-body Lycra fetishes, being weird and getting Dan Harmon's number by social engineering) and I guess that's why I found him tolerable despite interrupting the flow of the show.

Also you act as if every word from Dan is a gift which shouldn't be interrupted, which is anything but true.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
You'll all miss Goldberg someday

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

KoRMaK posted:

Um, the issue is that the girl was lieing, not the guy.

The girl barley knew the dude and just started acting as a truth authority.

Irish Joe posted:

Man, I listen to every episode and I still seem to miss a lot of poo poo. I remember the lying girl coming up and telling everyone about the made-up girlfriend but I don't remember when it's revealed she's lying.

Zsinjeh posted:

A fun tangent or rant by Dan is interrupted by awkward made man adding nothing to the show.

This is a good point and again I managed to miss the fact that he apparently just showed up on stage unannounced at some point.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I've only been listening for the past month or so, and I've been trying to keep up while also going backward (so every other non-new episode is like a prequel to me), but based on my limited exposure to Adam Goldberg I really don't care what he does or feels as far as how "the show" treats him. He and Anie are the biggest offenders (Goldberg far moreso, especially reading up on his history) of the morning zoo "character" arc where the hosts start by discovering a person and showcasing them, and then as time goes on they feel like they're a true element of the show instead of some folks that get showcased a lot. I mean, I know this is a lot more real than what morning zoos do, but a lot of those people are real folks too, but the attachment is quite common with folks that aren't used to attention.

Anytime Anie converses in the recent weeks, it's incredibly uncomfortable for me to listen to because she is just not landing with the audience at all. Her awkward "I'm gonna be self-aware of how awkward I am and feel, that makes it better, right all, who's with me?" thing is met with silence every single time, and she's trying too hard to joke and pal around with Harmon and Jeff, and nothing hits the mark. A couple times in the most recent ep, Dan kind of tried to move past stuff she said, like her terrible and confusing joke she made during Shadowrun. The fake supportive laughter he does with crowd members is really dying down fast with him, but maybe it's because I've been binging these so much it seems like more of a pattern.

In any case, I'd like to hope she takes a step back and realizes that trying to become a figure on the show is really not working, but since Dan gave her that one-off with Community, I think she feels 100% validated and bonded to the show. I feel bad for her not getting the hint, but man does she earn that silence.

Edit: I also wanna thank people who have been to the shows for saying it made them like the podcast less. I kind of had that feeling, listening to the show, but I couldn't figure out if that was the case. Harmon says he's doing a Harmontown on the final night of Comic-Con, and I was going to get a ticket but decided I might want to keep this show enjoyably at arms length instead of ruining the magic.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 15, 2015

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Ghost Stromboli posted:

Man, I listen to every episode and I still seem to miss a lot of poo poo. I remember the lying girl coming up and telling everyone about the made-up girlfriend but I don't remember when it's revealed she's lying.
It's not confirmed, but it's also not confirme dthat what she was saying was fact.

It just basically seemed to me that some barista at starbucks who saw this guy come in by himself was like "HE HAS NO GF"

I mean poo poo, if thats the case then the people who make my breakfast sandwich must think I have no parents because they've never met them. And if I were to talk about my parents they would point a finger at me and yell "LIAR!"

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

KoRMaK posted:

It's not confirmed, but it's also not confirme dthat what she was saying was fact.

It just basically seemed to me that some barista at starbucks who saw this guy come in by himself was like "HE HAS NO GF"

I mean poo poo, if thats the case then the people who make my breakfast sandwich must think I have no parents because they've never met them. And if I were to talk about my parents they would point a finger at me and yell "LIAR!"

To be honest they were both probably liars. The guy's inability to be specific about his girlfriend and artful dodging about it was a pretty big tell.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
The only risk with going to see it live is that you won't be able to skip past the boring rambly bits that Dan/whoever does. Although Dan does seem to be in "Sad Drunk" mode now, so it's a bit of a drag.

Also don't listen to the show for Dan, listen for Jeff. That guy has the most interesting life...

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

SoupyTwist posted:

Also don't listen to the show for Dan, listen for Jeff. That guy has the most interesting life...
Jeff is the best. He is the antithesis to dan lol.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Holy poo poo, this week's episode! Man do I love Paget Brewster.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Brocktoon posted:

Holy poo poo, this week's episode! Man do I love Paget Brewster.

It wasn't until the last minute that I realized that they were all probably drunk as hell on Earthshine for the final improv.

Except for Dan, who seemed much more sober than the last episode, and of course Jeff Davis used to date Paget loving Brewster!

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Yeah, Paget came in for the episode and nailed it. Those improv scenes were surreal.

The some of the best Harmontowns are when someone new shows up and stays for the whole thing. They don't know what to expect and it's fun to see if they can play along.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I was surprised how quiet Jeff was during all the improv.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Brocktoon posted:

I was surprised how quiet Jeff was during all the improv.

He didn't want to look a fool in front of his ex.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

:allears: Jeff n Paget. go figure.

Also, Paget???? Fuckin wierd name, kept thinking they were talking about a Pageant

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Got another big laugher in the audience, though.

A-HAWHAWHAW! HAW!

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
Yeah, I never had any problem with Goldberg or audience members with unacceptable opinions. But the mongoloid laughter basically makes it unlistenable for me.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

The Action Man posted:

He didn't want to look a fool in front of his ex.

I took it as not wanting to jump on a burning ship. It was entertaining all the same but Jeff's career is improv. It's like being an excellent painter and joining an art class. Although he did come in at the end and make everything better.

And nobody at all responded to "You have the power to heal. Heal, boy! Heal! Heal, boy!" I loved it and it got no recognition at all. Then again, everyone was saying their own poo poo at that point and it was collapsing in on itself a bit.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

I would love to have Jeff or Dan be on a podcast like Improv4Humans and see them do some "real" longform improv, that'd be pretty interesting. Or vice versa they have Matt Besser/UCB alumn on as a guest and try it out more seriously.
Longform rules

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Great episode, even if they still haven't solved the mystery of why DeMorge Brown is on stage.

Zsinjeh posted:

Longform rules

I don't think I've ever heard longform improv, but if its anything like Jeff described it--like regular improv, but less funny--I'm not interested.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

I don't think I've ever heard longform improv, but if its anything like Jeff described it--like regular improv, but less funny--I'm not interested.
If you want to be Irish Joe about it you could condense anything into "x is like y but less fun" and never enjoy anything, but if you'd like to give it a try this is a great example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy-iIEZXYWU

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
Paul F Tompkins has a new podcast, Spontaneanation, and I think it's longform improv preceded by an interview from which they get a lot of their material. Oh, and Jeff was paging Dr. Cackowski (sp?) at some point. He was referring to Craig Cackowski, a frequent guest on Spontaneanation now as well as an actor on Drunk History (among other things). Funny stuff. I'd recommend the Superyacht episode, the Savannah, Georgia episode, or the Secret Society Meeting episode.

e: I think Demorge is only being brought up now to continue his role as that one character in Shadowrun. Is it really all that bad that they bring him back for the sake of having one consistent actor there? He may not be hilarious but I don't think he's actively ruining anything.

Ghost Stromboli fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 20, 2015

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

I've listened to a few spontanenation and I'm not really feeling it yet. It feels more respectful and slow -
which plays into his background of radio theater - compared to the "usual" long form which is more like a great D&D scene from harmontown where they're all semi buzzed and tend to have more energy.
It's great, but I think if you want an intro to long form spontanenation is a bit too slow (imo).

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Ghost Stromboli posted:

e: I think Demorge is only being brought up now to continue his role as that one character in Shadowrun. Is it really all that bad that they bring him back for the sake of having one consistent actor there? He may not be hilarious but I don't think he's actively ruining anything.

I don't think anyone is claiming DeMorge hurts the show. Most people are just pointing out the absurdity of his continued presence week after week despite the fact that he doesn't tell jokes or talk much at all. He's like that quiet guy who goes to parties and stands in the corner not talking to anybody. You look at him and wonder, "who is he, who invited him and why does he keep coming if he's just going to stand quietly in the corner?"

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Most people? As far as I can tell it's just you
https://www.reddit.com/r/Harmontown/comments/30o01l/demorge/ I take it back, clearly all these people are pointing out his lackluster presence

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
9/10 Irish Joes don't like Demorge and won't shut up about him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
I've been a DeMorge defender but his work this week was weak. When he does try to tell jokes they're generally bad and/or an Obama impersination. He either needs a second trick or to stay in the background.