Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Redgrendel2001 posted:

He's not super expensive, but he's still on the books for ~$12 mill in a league with a surfeit of PGs. He definitely would be a valuable piece for any team; he's not Chris Paul or Steph Curry, but he's probably near the top of the next tier.

I mean it's just my opinion, but given the depth of the draft in the top 10-12 players and that the Nuggets also have the #7 pick, I would rather go into next season with a starting 5 of say Mudiay-Herzonja-Gallinari-Faried-Nurkic (using DX draft order). They're not going to compete in the West next year even if they keep Lawson, Mudiay and Herzonja are two of the draftees with highest floors and that's potentially a young, interesting, and really really good team in a few years.

I guess if I'm Sacramento's position, I say gently caress it we already have Collison who isn't a terrible PG and why not kiss Boogie's rear end by taking WCS. Or if Mudiay's at #6 that might make Ty a bit less attractive.

note: take into account that I'm probably prejudiced by being a Sixers fan :)

edit: prejudiced towards rebuilding, etc.
There's no guarantee that Mudiay will be there at 6. It could be Winslow/Hezonja. It could be Hezona/WCS.

It's not a terrible idea, but losing a truly good player for what could be nothing but an okay starting wing, that would be rough.

WhyteRyce posted:

Lawson is already better than what we can get at #6 and has a fair chance of continuing to be better than what we can get there. But we are a crap team so I'd rather spin the wheel on a rookie on a cheap deal. Lawson is really good, but PG is the least of our issues. Lawson won't fix our lack of a shot blocker down low or need for shooting on the perimeter and we don't exactly have any other assets to do that with. Our depth would get a little bump, but we still have no bench.

How do you think George Karl and Demarcus Cousins will mesh?
Ty Lawson is a perfect guard for Karl.

Ty has 2 more years on his deal, I suppose that makes him more tempting for a team who wants to contend now. But the nuggets will want picks for him, maybe a three team trade is in order.

Sacramento could use WCS, if he's as advertised. They could use almost every guy who's available around 7. They're talent poor. I appreciate your course of thinking.

If it was purely my decision, and I thought WCS was everything he's promised as, and he's definitely going to be there at 6, then I would say no to Ty. If I thought he wasn't that special, I'd do the deal.

I think Sacramento's path to being a good team is being an athletic defensive team who plays fast, with Demarcus getting lots of easy baskets after starting fast breaks.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Karl unleashed Magic Cousins. And Tragic Cousins. Malone had him playing better at both ends of the floor but anything from December on for the Kings was a dumpster fire so it's tough to evaluate anything. They've even said Karl's stint last season was just an extended training camp.

If WCS and Mudiay are off the board at #6, I'd start to think about it. The Hezonja/Winslow/Johnson trio is a tier down to me in terms of my interest, but Karl already said Gay is going to play more PF next season so the Kings would need someone that could slot in at SF. But if Vlade isn't in love with any of those 3 or Porzingis, then sure. Lawson is a good player and if you can wait out another year before you can do anything cap wise to improve the team (this is not a given), it would be a good addition. I do like the idea of Karl having a PG who he really likes

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

That shot may end up being the highest peak the Pels will ever reach, so don't feel too bad.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I wonder if Sacramento can make that Faried instead? Him and Cousins had nice chemistry at FIBA.

I dunno though, I love Lawson. When Denver was able to cover for his defense or score enough that it didn't matter he was a monster.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Kibner posted:

That shot may end up being the highest peak the Pels will ever reach, so don't feel too bad.

I doubt that, unless there are already (substantiated) rumors of Davis wanting the hell out of New Orleans.

Anthony Davis seems like he's the next most likely transcendent talent in the league.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

AD is probably the best player drafted in ten years. There is no player in the league I'd pick over him considering his age.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm thinking when he's 27-32 he's gonna be just overwhelmingly dominant compared to the next best player. Certainly at his position.

He is 22 and already as good as he is. And he's SKILLED good, for a big man. It's not just raw athletic punch.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

He's like a comic book origin story. Point guard accidentally bombarded with gamma radiation, grows to 7 feet tall, still has point guard skills. His mask is just a unibrow. And crazy hosed up bottom teeth.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
It's more that I'm afraid there will be a catastrophic injury or something. Because that's what happens to NOLA basketball stars.

For being a former point guard, his handles aren't anything to write home about.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Rick posted:

I wonder if Sacramento can make that Faried instead? Him and Cousins had nice chemistry at FIBA.

I dunno though, I love Lawson. When Denver was able to cover for his defense or score enough that it didn't matter he was a monster.

Even if the Kings were able to dump Jason Thompson and Carl Landry in that deal, I'm not sure Faried is worth it.

Also, since the draft is the only interesting thing going on, why don't we just lock this thread and post in the offseason thread?

Yung Jacques
Oct 31, 2010

Kibner posted:

It's more that I'm afraid there will be a catastrophic injury or something. Because that's what happens to NOLA basketball stars.

For being a former point guard, his handles aren't anything to write home about.
I can't think of a "former point guard" big who actually was any good before they became a gigantic not-a-point-guard.

They used to say that about Tyrus Thomas like he was just holding back a crazy ball handling game in college. Then in the pros he couldn't dribble more than two seconds without dribbling the ball off his foot.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Even if the Kings were able to dump Jason Thompson and Carl Landry in that deal, I'm not sure Faried is worth it.

Also, since the draft is the only interesting thing going on, why don't we just lock this thread and post in the offseason thread?

There's free agency stuff to speculate about and talking about the aftermath of the season still. The draft is already almost here, and there's more than enough around it to support a separate thread

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Yung Jacques posted:

I can't think of a "former point guard" big who actually was any good before they became a gigantic not-a-point-guard.

They used to say that about Tyrus Thomas like he was just holding back a crazy ball handling game in college. Then in the pros he couldn't dribble more than two seconds without dribbling the ball off his foot.

Blake Griffin

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Yung Jacques posted:

Jason Thompson came in with supposed ball handling ability (I think he had a late growth spurt as well). But after getting picked nonstop his rookie year he stopped trying to lead fast breaks. Hell you don't even want him taking a power dribble at this point

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
All these guys who were ballers with no shot to make it because of their size were given major doses of HGH in their teens by unscrupulous doctors to get these growth spurts, right? I know people do sometimes grow 7 inches at 16 or whatever, but it seems to happen to basketball players a lot.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Lockback posted:

All these guys who were ballers with no shot to make it because of their size were given major doses of HGH in their teens by unscrupulous doctors to get these growth spurts, right? I know people do sometimes grow 7 inches at 16 or whatever, but it seems to happen to basketball players a lot.

If you're 6'7" or taller you probably had a big growth spurt at some point

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

This is because really tall people play basketball

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MourningView posted:

This is because really tall people play basketball

No I mean, guys who were playing basketball at a high level already but weren't going to make the leap because of their size.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

You just don't hear much about the many, many dudes who don't have a growth spurt because they don't make the leap.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

We're still talking about like 5-10 people out of 300 million.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
D'Angelo Russell supposedly was great in his workout with the Sixers. Lot of mock drafts have the Sixers taking Porzingis but beat guys still saying Russell is the pick if he's there which makes me happy.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Jota posted:

D'Angelo Russell supposedly was great in his workout with the Sixers. Lot of mock drafts have the Sixers taking Porzingis but beat guys still saying Russell is the pick if he's there which makes me happy.

The Porzingis stuff does sound like a smokescreen, and it wouldn't make sense for Knicks fans to end up too happy.

The draft's one week away — any guesses who the big risers and fallers are going to be at this point? I think Booker ends up going higher than expected and Winslow dips a bit.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm kind of surprised there isn't more buzz about Winslow. He's from Duke, is a Winner, has good athletic ability, and is in the mold of the in-style Kwahi/Jimmy Bucks type player.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm kind of surprised there isn't more buzz about Winslow. He's from Duke, is a Winner, has good athletic ability, and is in the mold of the in-style Kwahi/Jimmy Bucks type player.

I think people are gunshy at this point about taking an NBA wing that had most of his success in college at PF.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I wonder if the Embiid stuff is a smokescreen as well, considering all we've heard is that he's had a setback and then zilch since then. I'm not really sure what the angle is on that but I'm just hoping.

That said, the biggest knock on Embiid from the get-go was that a stress fracture in a foot on a big is notoriously difficult to heal. Same with his stress fracture in his back which we haven't heard anything about so I'm assuming that one is all good now.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Lockback posted:

CJ McCollum

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

morestuff posted:

The draft's one week away — any guesses who the big risers and fallers are going to be at this point? I think Booker ends up going higher than expected and Winslow dips a bit.

My guess is that some team ahead of Indiana is secretly buying the Payne hype hard (besides New York) and will take him top ten. I agree that some teams ahead of Charlotte might be quietly selling themselves on Booker because he's 18 and maybe the only elite shooter in the draft. Frank Kaminsky drops out of the lottery because everyone's wary of a 22 year old big who can't protect the rim.

I think OKC will take Oubre but my Reggie Jackson Memorial Presti Surprise Pick Award for 2015 goes to Trey Lyles.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Terry Glenn posted:

I think OKC will take Oubre but my Reggie Jackson Memorial Presti Surprise Pick Award for 2015 goes to Trey Lyles.

I could see presti taking Lyles but I think presti will shock the world with Justin Anderson

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Metapod posted:

I could see presti taking Lyles but I think presti will shock the world with Justin Anderson

That's pretty gross but I'd really just like to avoid Rondae Hollis-Jefferson.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WhyteRyce posted:

It seems like there's quite a bit? He's projected as high as like 5 pretty regularly, and is generally even higher than that on "best available" lists or whatever. That's pretty good for a 6'4" dude with a possibly busted jumper. I'd have him 3rd among the SFs behind Hezonja and Johnson personally but he's first or second most places.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 18, 2015

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

It seems like there's quite a bit? He's projected as high as like 5 pretty regularly, and is generally even higher than that on "best available" lists or whatever. That's pretty good for a 6'4" dude with a possibly busted jumper. I'd have him 3rd among the SFs behind Hezonja and Johnson personally but he's first or second most places.

Most of the mock I've seen have Orlando taking Herzonja/WCS, Sacramento going in any other direction, and a few having Denver pick him up. I guess that is pretty good for a shortish guy with a busted jumper who had most success at PF though.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Terry Glenn posted:

That's pretty gross but I'd really just like to avoid Rondae Hollis-Jefferson.

:agreed:

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone interested in doing a draft game? Something simple. 3points for correct pick, 2 for being 1 off, 1 for 2 off. Nothing for 3 or more. 3 points for correct trade call both teams, 1 pt for 1 team correct. Something like that. Id be glad to manage if there is interest.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I'd do it if it was restricted to the top 10 or 15.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

jimcunningham posted:

Anyone interested in doing a draft game? Something simple. 3points for correct pick, 2 for being 1 off, 1 for 2 off. Nothing for 3 or more. 3 points for correct trade call both teams, 1 pt for 1 team correct. Something like that. Id be glad to manage if there is interest.

Sure, why not

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
You guys really love Ty Lawson, huh? To me he's always basically the late 2000s Hawks in player form. Definitely good, definitely not good enough to make your team take a jump to the next tier.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

roundmidnight posted:

You guys really love Ty Lawson, huh? To me he's always basically the late 2000s Hawks in player form. Definitely good, definitely not good enough to make your team take a jump to the next tier.

The next tier for Sacramento is mediocre and I'm pretty sure he can do that!

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Grantland with one of those "anonymous scouts talking about the draft" pieces:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ryen-russillos-nba-draft-confidential-real-scouts-on-towns-russell-and-okafor/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's Russillo (who I like about as much as I can like anyone working in sports radio, despite his inability to spell the name "Ryan" correctly), so it's most likely more of a "anonymous Celtics scouts talking about the draft" piece. But it's still fun.

• Locked thread