Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

OMG Ciri leveled up towards the end of the game! She's cutting Roid Elves in half now too!:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I'm actually really enjoying the new Wolf School DLC because a bunch of the diagrams are in Kaer Morhen and take you around the buildings and through the history of the school and the witcher caste. And you really have no good opportunity or excuse to explore that map otherwise.

Yeah, that was a cool 'two birds with one stone' result.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

GrossMurpel posted:

Is there even a point in doing the Scavenger Hunts if I'm a disgusting pleb who only cares about armor stats instead of looks?
I mean, if they do indeed reveal NG+ at some point, I might need to get a different armor if I wanna spec differently but right now Griffin is the best for me.

The first cat school quest is particularly cool, I would at least do that one.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

I think that full combat with Flood of Anger and the wolf school gear is the most powerful build I've found. You have crazy good stamina regen thanks to Griffin school, signs as powerful as someone who filled out the sign tree, and super high damage swords. Stacking the armor pen combat talent with a fully talented igni drops earth elemental and the like super fast. You can even take the increased toxicity talent to let you stack decoctions for even more shenanigans

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 373 days!
I finished the game a decent while ago, just been running around doing odds and ends. Found a cobbler's wagon outside the seven cats inn, where someone was tucked away in a corner drowning his problems to death. He had a few things to say.

He was in a fine mood, considering.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

OMG Ciri died ending the White Frost!:stonk: Pretty sure I did something wrong. What did I do? I tried to build up her confidence, but I wasn't able to convince her not to go. I'm also not 100% sure what happened. Did she save the Aen Elle world? I've heard other people talking about her surviving; can she stop the White Frost and live too?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Arglebargle III posted:

OMG Ciri died ending the White Frost!:stonk: Pretty sure I did something wrong. What did I do? I tried to build up her confidence, but I wasn't able to convince her not to go. I'm also not 100% sure what happened. Did she save the Aen Elle world? I've heard other people talking about her surviving; can she stop the White Frost and live too?

Did you completely finish the game yet? Up to the end credits? Do that

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Arglebargle III posted:

You babied her a bit too much and did not build up her confidence enough. I do not remember all of the checks, you need to let her confront phillipa alone, go break in to avellach's lab, go pay her respects to the man who helped her, and should refuse payment from the emperor if you took her there. There may be another im forgetting, and I do not know how many are needed to succeed.

Macaluso posted:

Did you completely finish the game yet? Up to the end credits? Do that

Also this

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Are you sure you're completely done with the game yet? I was upset in the epilogue where Geralt tells Emhyr that Ciri is dead, but then you go pick up a specially made silver sword and give it to her at the inn in White Orchard. Unless the credits have rolled this game keeps going and going

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

You babied her a bit too much and did not build up her confidence enough. I do not remember all of the checks, you need to let her confront phillipa alone, go break in to avellach's lab, go pay her respects to the man who helped her, and should refuse payment from the emperor if you took her there. There may be another im forgetting, and I do not know how many are needed to succeed.

Also this

Also get into a snowball fight with her at Kaer Morhen

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Crappy Jack posted:

Also get into a snowball fight with her at Kaer Morhen

What kind of a heartless player wouldn't do that honestly

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

This game loves to make me feel awful for making choices I didn't know the consequence too. I love it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

No I am not done with the epilogue. It's past my bedtime and I have work tomorrow. drat you work!

They managed to make a meeting with a swordsmith super duper sad. I was like "Geralt you already have too many swords. You don't need another sword!" Then I equipped it and I saw what it was and it was like "Oh nooo that's Ciri's sword. :smith: Why would you do that now you won't be able to fight monsters because every time your draw your silver sword you will break down crying! 'Come fuckin' get some drowners aww yeah :clint: *draws sword* :qq: Abloohoo drowners just bite my liver out right now it's not fair life's not faaair aaaaaaaa' like that."

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 18, 2015

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Arglebargle III posted:

No I am not done with the epilogue. It's past my bedtime and I have work tomorrow. drat you work!

They managed to make a meeting with a swordsmith super duper sad. I was like "Geralt you already have too many swords. You don't need another sword!" Then I equipped it and I saw what it was and it was like "Oh nooo that's Ciri's sword. :smith: Why would you do that now you won't be able to fight monsters because every time your draw your silver sword you will break down crying! 'Come fuckin' get some drowners aww yeah :clint: *draws sword* :qq: Abloohoo drowners just bite my liver out right now it's not fair life's not faaair aaaaaaaa' like that."

dude you have 5 minutes left go do it, im not exaggerating, you just need to go to the inn in white orchard

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Arglebargle III posted:

Maybe you should just follow the quest objectives.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Macaluso posted:

What kind of a heartless player wouldn't do that honestly

Honestly, you just have to be the biggest piece of poo poo of all to get the bad ending. It's basically impossible to get them if you're not a tool.

The actual Ciri is dead ending is really heartbreaking though. Geralt letting the drowners and ghouls tear him apart because he lost everything :smith:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

haha lordy, yeah, just go finish the last three minutes of the game. Geralt is totally having that sword made for him :allears:

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

So I just finished the game, and while the ending dragged a bit on as I said earlier, I liked it.

Ciri survived, stopped the Frost, became a Witcher and went to learn from Pappy Geralt.Who then lived lazily boning Yen. Radovid loving died, Temeria became sovereign again as a Vassal State, and I think the worst thing that happened was Emhyr puring a few Spies.

I assume this is one of the better endings? I went by heart and basically supported Ciri. I like that they didn't gently caress me for doing that. I'm sorry Charles Dance, you got robbed of your Legacy once more.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
It's about best from Ciri's personal perspective, though Dijkstra ruling rationally is possibly better than Black Sun. Empress Cirilla with power of largest empire on the Continent making actual change though...

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Macaluso posted:

So I just beat the game. So many of my bros are gonna be killed :smith: In fact in the credits there's a picture of a Dwarf with a mohawk burning on a pyre who I assume is Zoltan, and then a shot of Dandelion and Priscilla are watching in horror :smith:

NO

Whatever it takes to avoid this travesty from happening, tell me.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

GuyUpNorth posted:

It's about best from Ciri's personal perspective, though Dijkstra ruling rationally is possibly better than Black Sun. Empress Cirilla with power of largest empire on the Continent making actual change though...

Yeah but I'd rather be ploughed without tallow than let Dijkstra slaughter Thaler, Broche and Ves (I suppose).

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just got through the battle of Kaer Morhen.

I'm about to do Matter of State. I've spoiled myself a bit so I know at some point I have to pick between Roche or Dijkstra. Dijkstra didn't help me at Kaer Morhen, Roche did. When I get to the which one will you support decision I feel like Dijkstra made the decision for me already :shrug:

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Gilganixon posted:

Yeah but I'd rather be ploughed without tallow than let Dijkstra slaughter Thaler, Broche and Ves (I suppose).

Yeah, Roche, Thaler and Ves are cool. Are there any Squirrels in Witcher 3? I encountered one in a contract but refused to leave my swords behind so I never found out.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Kaedric posted:

NO

Whatever it takes to avoid this travesty from happening, tell me.

Make sure you do the Novigrad quest chain that ends with Radovid getting killed

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Moridin920 posted:

I just got through the battle of Kaer Morhen.

I'm about to do Matter of State. I've spoiled myself a bit so I know at some point I have to pick between Roche or Dijkstra. Dijkstra didn't help me at Kaer Morhen, Roche did. When I get to the which one will you support decision I feel like Dijkstra made the decision for me already :shrug:

Yeah, it didn't really seem to be much of a choice. Geralt is pretty much all about his friends and hates politics so I'm not even sure why they gave me time to answer. Felt kind of bad but that's how the cards fall sometimes.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Hymirvetr posted:

Yeah, Roche, Thaler and Ves are cool. Are there any Squirrels in Witcher 3? I encountered one in a contract but refused to leave my swords behind so I never found out.

There are some scoi'atel camps camps you can find - one very important quest takes you to one:
You uhh, play some elf in gwent at one of them

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I kinda wish that some of the guarded treasure and quest poo poo didn't just go away if you didn't kill the monster. I got the Don't Play With the Gods quest, and I can just run up and steal the treasure, but then I don't get the exp/drops from the level 18 noonwraith that I can't kill atm. I'll easily forget about it if I just steal the treasure I can for now.

VolticSurge posted:

Does anyone know where to find the cave leading to the tree spirit ,so I can get the benefits of doing it early? I just talked to Gran, does that lock me outta said benefits or does that only happen if you talk to the Crones ?

Wait, there's a bonus for doing it early? I ran into that tree, didn't know what the gently caress so I googled it, learned a little about the quest and decided to come back when the actual quest line led me to it.

I'm now at the part in Family Matters where I'm supposed to talk to the elderman who I'm assuming will tell me the story about the Tree spirit or w/e. The Crones suck, the Baron sucks, the orphans are w/e. So I guess I'm going to kill the tree spirit once I'm told about the situation.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

JetsGuy posted:

Wait, there's a bonus for doing it early? I ran into that tree, didn't know what the gently caress so I googled it, learned a little about the quest and decided to come back when the actual quest line led me to it.

I'm now at the part in Family Matters where I'm supposed to talk to the elderman who I'm assuming will tell me the story about the Tree spirit or w/e. The Crones suck, the Baron sucks, the orphans are w/e. So I guess I'm going to kill the tree spirit once I'm told about the situation.

You're a bit off-track. The Tree Spirit quest is in the witch branch of the main questline in Velen, not the Baron's branch. Both questlines eventually merge when you've followed up on them both. Keira Metz will point you in the direction of the Crones, and through them, the tree spirit.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 18, 2015

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Slashrat posted:

You're a bit off-track. The Tree Spirit quest is in the witch branch of the main questline in Velen, not the Baron's branch. Both questlines eventually merge when you've followed up on them both. Keira Metz will point you in the direction of the Crones, and through them, the tree spirit.

Yeah, basically following the Baron, all you learn is that his wife and daughter ran off, and some bigass monster ran off with Anna, while the daughter went off on her own. You don't actually find out what the monster was until you go through Keira's stuff.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

JetsGuy posted:

There isn't one really. It's just that the orphans getting eaten/whatever isn't explicitly stated if you do the tree first. Someone mentioned earlier that the kids are gone and normally where there would be a record of them being found, there is no such record. There are basically two choices to that quest and, as I understand it, if you do the tree spirit first the outcome re: the baron is as if you had killed the "druid", regardless of what you actually do to him.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Ugato posted:

There isn't one really. It's just that the orphans getting eaten/whatever isn't explicitly stated if you do the tree first. Someone mentioned earlier that the kids are gone and normally where there would be a record of them being found, there is no such record. There are basically two choices to that quest and, as I understand it, if you do the tree spirit first the outcome re: the baron is as if you had killed the "druid", regardless of what you actually do to him.

So by doing the tree quest first, you could free the tree spirit and and still have Anna survive because the game treats it as if you having killed the tree spirit anyway? And the kids just disappear from the game with no trace?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Is there a blacksmith/armorer/merchant/anything at all at Kaer Morhen?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Ugato posted:

There is one bit of fallout: Downwarren is still slaughtered if you free it first. Druid-tree guy is a bit pissed at them for trying to kill him on the Crones' orders. However, as you noted Anna does survive and the kids just disappear without a bit of resolution.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Is there any use for the quest item monocle you find in White Orchard? It was quite obvious who it belongs to, but I don't remember if I could actually ever get rid of it. Was also kinda disappointed that nothing really happened with the crystal raven skull. Gave it to Yen when the game allowed it but don't think it ever came up again after that.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Fun Reason of State easter egg: Djikstra's line "If it were done when ’tis done, then ’twere well / It were done quickly." is from Shakespeare's Macbeth, a play about a Scottish lord that murders the king of Scotland, takes the crown for themselves, then proceeds to kill more and more people to cover up his guilt until he is exposed & killed himself. There's a superstition in the theatre world that saying the name of the play or quoting it in a theatre will bring bad luck, and depending on how you handled this mission, it certainly did.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Lareine posted:

Are you loving kidding me? That makes it even loving WORSE. Aaaaahhh I really should have killed Radovid. gently caress neutrality.

At last he learns. Comte would be pleased.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Fun Reason of State easter egg: Djikstra's line "If it were done when ’tis done, then ’twere well / It were done quickly." is from Shakespeare's Macbeth, a play about a Scottish lord that murders the king of Scotland, takes the crown for themselves, then proceeds to kill more and more people to cover up his guilt until he is exposed & killed himself. There's a superstition in the theatre world that saying the name of the play or quoting it in a theatre will bring bad luck, and depending on how you handled this mission, it certainly did.

gently caress I knew that sounded vaguely familiar.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I got the quote but not the superstition, that's pretty cool.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

dyzzy posted:

gently caress I knew that sounded vaguely familiar.

He even says it's from his favorite play, "Wacbeth".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Crappy Jack posted:

He even says it's from his favorite play, "Wacbeth".

Ahahaha I went and watched that bit, he says "Vakmeth." Should have rung a bell.

vvv Yeah it would have been weird for Djikstra to come in like that in any other place

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 18, 2015