Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Archenteron posted:

Speaking of Dominion, there's apparently a tournament at an LGS this weekend (Apparently it's a prequalifier for the Dominion World Championships at Gencon but there's also store credit prizes) 3 player games, all expansions will be used. That's all the information I know. I'm pretty much only familiar with basegame + Intrigue. What else should I know/be on the lookout for, strategy/super-bomb-card-wise?

Don't buy Scout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Panic on Wall Street is a great go to game for larger groups and is simple to learn, good fit for a work event.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Tekopo posted:

Trying to organize a work-related boardgaming evening, so I bought Cash n Guns (2nd ed) and Pictomania. Pictomania especially I hope will be a hit. As well as that will probably bring Resistance Avalon, Toc Toc Woodman and Ugg-Tect. Any other suggestions (I'm not bringing 18OE or Campaign for North Africa, no).

I played A Fake Artist Goes To New York last night. It was described as Spyfall + Pictionary, and that wasn't too far off the mark. Really funny, really fast.

Good Cop, Bad Cop was pretty good as well. Imagine if Bang was actually any good and you'll have an idea of what it's like.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Tekopo posted:

Trying to organize a work-related boardgaming evening.

They're colleagues, not friends, so Diplomacy?

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Any early opinions on Forbidden Stars, especially for someone who already owns CitOW and Kemet? I'm pretty intrigued as I never played Starcraft and the variable powers and order stacking all seem great, but I already don't get the aforementioned games to the table enough.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Archenteron posted:

Speaking of Dominion, there's apparently a tournament at an LGS this weekend (Apparently it's a prequalifier for the Dominion World Championships at Gencon but there's also store credit prizes) 3 player games, all expansions will be used. That's all the information I know. I'm pretty much only familiar with basegame + Intrigue. What else should I know/be on the lookout for, strategy/super-bomb-card-wise?
There is way too much to say. If you care about remembering any of this you should probably look the cards up.

Don't buy Rats unless you know how to use it. You will probably wreck your deck. I can tell you how if you're interested; it's not as hard as people think, but in your case probably easiest to ignore it.

If you play with Colony/Platinum, then Colonies are usually the way to win. These games last longer so (relative to a normal game) slow and steady is better than a money strategy that rushes straight for the finish line.

Rebuild is pretty overpowered. Your plan is to play it over and over and over.

If you (and others) buy up all the Ill Gotten Gains then both it and Curses will run out simultaneously; then you can pile out Duchies for the win. This catches a lot of people off guard. Doesn't work so well if the IGG/Curse piles get out of sync due to other Cursers, Moat, etc.

Scrying Pool is usually very important. Ignore the attack; it's all about trashing your non-Actions and then using SP to draw tons of cards at a time.

Hunting Party leads to easy decks. Buy 1-3 Silvers, one Gold, and one other card that produces at least $2 (ideally with a nice effect like Militia). The idea is to get enough Hunting Parties that every turn you will draw one of every different card in your deck, and that will add up to a very regular $8. Obviously to do this you can't add too many more types of cards; watch out for Duchies, Curses, etc.

Don't ignore Goons, Tournament, Wharf, Ambassador, or any cursing attack.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Radioactive Toy posted:

Any early opinions on Forbidden Stars, especially for someone who already owns CitOW and Kemet? I'm pretty intrigued as I never played Starcraft and the variable powers and order stacking all seem great, but I already don't get the aforementioned games to the table enough.

It looks really fun but judging from your statement it's going to be MSRP $100 that you won't get to the table enough.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Trasson posted:

Don't buy Scout.

Hey, I disagree, Scout is really great in some edge cases where you have a lot of green cards, especially the ones that do stuff.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Is Scout/Nobles a thing? It feels like it should be.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Not really. Nobles is a bad action card at $6, that's why it has to be worth points. Scout is a bad card, and putting Scout in your deck to draw a bad card isn't a great combo.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

I don't know if anyone cares, but if you're in the US and looking for a copy of Keyflower (which is out of stock everywhere except Amazon), I found a few available at boardgamebliss.com in Canada. Even with shipping, it came out to $54 USD for me compared to Amazon's $72 USD total.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I learned and played Forge War. I'm looking forward to trying it again but goddam the rules learning process was harder than it had to be.

Rulebook could really use a round of editing, or straight up rewriting. It was the worst rules & learning experience of recent memory.

The online rules and the shipped rules are different. The online one with placeholder art is actually in some ways clearer than the production rules. But it's also different in some places and some wording encouraged misunderstandings. It also does that annoying thing where it - for example - has a shitload of cards all same color (or different) with same symbols (or different) yet only ever refers to them by generic group (e.g. "Market Cards") without spelling out where or how the lines are drawn. Except like maybe one place in the goddamned book where it's explaining several things at once. :psyduck:

Anyway, it is a rewarding game once it's going.

The setting is a kingdom facing many dangers and challenges. Each player is the head of a local Adventurer's Guild. You will recruit adventurers, equip them with the tools (weapons) they need, and send them to take care of quests (jobs) you accept. Completing quests sometimes yields loot but always yields Prestige (victory points).

Each adventurer's guild rolls their own weapons. The more powerful weapons are built from unique weapon designs known only to you. Acquiring not only these designs but also obtaining the raw materials to produce them (as well as lesser more common weapons) is a big part of the game. You do the latter by directing sneering, whipcracking taskmasters in the mines btw, because the lazy wretches consigned to the mines produce only when under constant supervision and will go on strike at the first opportunity.

The game is an investment and resource management game with some worker placement happening. It's extremely competitive but it's in a way a little like Viticulture in the sense that it's kind of multiplayer solitaire - there's no PvP or anything. There isn't even a limited number of any particular resource really, the bottlenecks are mainly the purchases/costs, not the availability - if that makes sense. So it's about optimizing more than door-crashing.

Like I said, it is rewarding once it's going but the game is already complex enough it really doesn't need to be hobbled by a poor rule book on top of it all. What a shame.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 18, 2015

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I played Jaipur for the first time tonight and it's a good time. Nice tight little game, plays quickly and it's super easy to teach and learn. I'll definitely be picking up the physical version.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

nimby posted:

They're colleagues, not friends, so Diplomacy?

This was my motivation for staying a PBEM office game, but it killed productivity because any time two players were together, everyone else crowded around to make sure nothing illicit was being discussed.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Medium Style posted:

I don't know if anyone cares, but if you're in the US and looking for a copy of Keyflower (which is out of stock everywhere except Amazon), I found a few available at boardgamebliss.com in Canada. Even with shipping, it came out to $54 USD for me compared to Amazon's $72 USD total.

boardgamebliss.com is fantastic, and if you do want a copy of Keyflower from there, you should act quickly. They had none in stock for forever, then they got a few, sold out in 2 days, and now they got a few more. Great store, but can't speak to their international shipping (Canuck here). They also import some games so they have odd editions of certain games if you look around.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Tekopo posted:

Trying to organize a work-related boardgaming evening, so I bought Cash n Guns (2nd ed) and Pictomania. Pictomania especially I hope will be a hit. As well as that will probably bring Resistance Avalon, Toc Toc Woodman and Ugg-Tect. Any other suggestions (I'm not bringing 18OE or Campaign for North Africa, no).

My workplace enjoys the hell out of One Night Ultimate Werewolf.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
And... the new Dominion beta makes you redownload and install the entire new client after each update. Welp.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Toshimo posted:

And... the new Dominion beta makes you redownload and install the entire new client after each update. Welp.

Hahaha is this for real

A local shop is having a Machi Koro tournament this weekend and the winner gets entry to the world championships at Gen Con. I'm pretty baffled by the idea of people playing this game competitively :psyduck:

Tekopo posted:

Splendor for a more "gamey" thing?

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 18, 2015

DonnyTrump
Apr 24, 2010

Toshimo posted:

It doesn't even start downloading the new client or anything. Have to manually go to the site and get it.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Poopy Palpy posted:

Not really. Nobles is a bad action card at $6, that's why it has to be worth points. Scout is a bad card, and putting Scout in your deck to draw a bad card isn't a great combo.

The trouble of course is that if Scout doesn't draw at least one Victory card, it's actively detrimental. (In fact I'd argue that even if it draws one card each time, it's still slightly detrimental). So in order for Scout to even benefit you--never mind being better than alternative buys like Silver--your deck needs to be well over 25% Victory cards; I'd say closer to 50%. You're not really going to have that with Nobles until well into the endgame, maybe. You could get there with Great Hall but that's going so far out of your way it isn't worth it.

The other thing about Nobles is you want to use its village option as little as possible. Consider that +3 Cards is the equivalent of Smithy, a $4 value, whereas a plain +2 Actions is horrible: worse than any of the $2 villages. So if you build an engine based on Nobles, it's not really so important to add more card draw like Scout. Instead the best plan is to supplement with better Villages, which will free your Nobles up to do what they're best at. And of course those Villages are going to reduce the percentage of Victory cards in your deck, making Scout worse.

Arnm616
Dec 4, 2004
You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.
I am teaching Libertalia to new players tonight without having played it myself first. A cardinal sin, I know, but circumstances with what they are, I was able to watch a gameplay video at least. Are there any rules that are easily missed or other aspects of the game that should be stressed?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

McNerd posted:

The trouble of course is that if Scout doesn't draw at least one Victory card, it's actively detrimental. (In fact I'd argue that even if it draws one card each time, it's still slightly detrimental). So in order for Scout to even benefit you--never mind being better than alternative buys like Silver--your deck needs to be well over 25% Victory cards; I'd say closer to 50%. You're not really going to have that with Nobles until well into the endgame, maybe. You could get there with Great Hall but that's going so far out of your way it isn't worth it.

The other thing about Nobles is you want to use its village option as little as possible. Consider that +3 Cards is the equivalent of Smithy, a $4 value, whereas a plain +2 Actions is horrible: worse than any of the $2 villages. So if you build an engine based on Nobles, it's not really so important to add more card draw like Scout. Instead the best plan is to supplement with better Villages, which will free your Nobles up to do what they're best at. And of course those Villages are going to reduce the percentage of Victory cards in your deck, making Scout worse.

Scout + Island (and maybe use your last island on the Scout) and Scout + Harem were the things I was thinking of.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Arnm616 posted:

I am teaching Libertalia to new players tonight without having played it myself first. A cardinal sin, I know, but circumstances with what they are, I was able to watch a gameplay video at least. Are there any rules that are easily missed or other aspects of the game that should be stressed?

Tokens are stored face down. Pirates in your den resolve from highest to lowest rank at night. You keep 10 doubloons between campaigns and discard the rest.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

homullus posted:

Scout + Island (and maybe use your last island on the Scout) and Scout + Harem were the things I was thinking of.

Scout+Island just sounds way too slow to be worth it
Scout+Harem is like the only circumstance in which they're vaguely useful

e: actually they combo with wishing well (still pretty weak) and they can defend against ghost ship/rabble/fortuneteller

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 18, 2015

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Arnm616 posted:

When we first play it, someone didn't realize that cards you don't play in a round will stay in your hand for next round. Also, that the graveyard clears in between rounds.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

DonnyTrump posted:

It doesn't even start downloading the new client or anything. Have to manually go to the site and get it.

They should just have their license to Dominion taken away from them and given to anyone else.

Seriously every single UI/client decision they have made has been bad.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

jeeves posted:

They should just have their license to Dominion taken away from them and given to anyone else.

Seriously every single UI/client decision they have made has been bad.
Yeah, I'm getting pretty sick of this company holding PC Dominion hostage. I thought Papa X. Vaccarino stepped in to fix this.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

He did, I'm pretty sure the license is now held by different people than Goko

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Yeah, I'm getting pretty sick of this company holding PC Dominion hostage. I thought Papa X. Vaccarino stepped in to fix this.

I kind of wonder if he realizes the goldmine he is sitting on-- he may just be thinking "meh, I am a board game designer and don't care about virtual versions of the old games I am already done with."

Especially if they charge for the e-versions of expansions, that poo poo ads up. Hell, if they did it loving right they could charge a shitload like iOS Carcassone does ($9.99 is way above average for iOS games)-- and people loving pay full price for it without complaining since it is done RIGHT.

I kind of wonder what the ratio is on royalties made between the physical copy of Carcassone versus the digital copies these days.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Quick question, what's the name of the new sci-fi traitor game that people are excited about? I keep on thinking it's Forbidden Stars and obviously it's not.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

tarbrush posted:

Quick question, what's the name of the new sci-fi traitor game that people are excited about? I keep on thinking it's Forbidden Stars and obviously it's not.

Dark Moon?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

tarbrush posted:

Dark Moon.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Scout+Island just sounds way too slow to be worth it
Scout+Harem is like the only circumstance in which they're vaguely useful
e: actually they combo with wishing well (still pretty weak) and they can defend against ghost ship/rabble/fortuneteller
Yeah, if you have that many Islands in your deck at one time, you're already in trouble.

Another idea is Scrying Pool or Herald. These have the advantage that you might get to draw and play the Scout for free instead of its displacing another card, so it won't be detrimental in the way I described before.

All these combos do exist, but Scout is so weak that it needs a lot of help to become viable. Like if you go over all the synergies discussed on this page and you can find a way to do 2-4 of them at the same time then it could add up to a viable plan. But it's so rare, and there still might be better things on the board.

Anyway Vagrant is the card Scout wants to be. All the same synergies, none of the drawbacks, and it doesn't text you at night promising to draw your whole deck if you just treat it right.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's basically BSG-lite. It plays a lot faster, but it's not as good. If you haven't played BSG or don't care for the show, then it's pretty solid.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

This has been a nice mail-day for me :)

Unpunched :smugdog:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I watched a video on Magic Realm once and was blown away. I don't think my 'tisms are advanced enough for that one.

Edit: That said I'm jealous as poo poo :swoon:

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 18, 2015

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

I watched a video on Magic Realm once and was blown away. I don't think my 'tisms are advanced enough for that one.

It's really not that bad.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
It looks that bad if you open up the original rules. But it's true, the game makes sense. I'm still fascinated by it, there's really nothing quite like it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Oldstench posted:

It's really not that bad.

Yes, it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Yes, it is.

e: go play Talisman and let the adults play the adult games.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 18, 2015