Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

This new Metroid may be fun, but it is hosed up that it is the new Metroid ... unless they are announcing something 2D for Wii U soon (which they are not). Honestly it was probably better off as Blast Ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

codenameFANGIO posted:

This new Metroid may be fun, but it is hosed up that it is the new Metroid ... unless they are announcing something 2D for Wii U soon (which they are not). Honestly it was probably better off as Blast Ball.

Pretty much the only reason why this is the new metroid game is because Nintendo knew it wouldn't sell without some sort of branding.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
the sad thing is there are a lot of people out there who have good ideas and could probably produce a solid Metroid game in a year or so

basically what im saying is nintendo needs to bring in some new talent. they did that for splatoon and it worked out crazy good.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

setafd posted:

is there some kind of precedent for there being a cross-section in interests between jpop and fire emblem in japan? is this what is responsible

jpop jrpgs sell really well in japan. there are studios that make nothing else.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

jpop jrpgs sell really well in japan. there are studios that make nothing else.

Unless you're talking about mobile games, nothing sells "really well" in japan.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Excels posted:

the sad thing is there are a lot of people out there who have good ideas and could probably produce a solid Metroid game in a year or so

basically what im saying is nintendo needs to bring in some new talent. they did that for splatoon and it worked out crazy good.

the last good metroid game I ever played was shadow complex

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

i wonder if these angry petitioners are aware of Axiom Verge

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
axiom verge does not contain metroids nor ridley, therefore i do not care for it

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

codenameFANGIO posted:

Yeah, like it doesn't look like a bad name, but branding it as Metroid was definitely a mistake.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
shenmue 3 kickstarter raises 3 mil in its first day :micdrop:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

precision posted:

shenmue 3 kickstarter raises 3 mil in its first day :micdrop:

Game will cost $20 million to make.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
So which one is better, Xbox one or PS4?

I have a bunch of stuff on 360 already and I guess it would be cool to carry over my gamerscore and what the gently caress ever but I don't really care. I also don't care about the other video playing apps poo poo, I have an HTPC for that.

My computer is too old and at this point it's kind of a toss up between $400-$600 on a new video card and all the rest or $450 on a console that will give me less headaches than the PC.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

tuyop posted:

I have a bunch of stuff on 360 already and I guess it would be cool to carry over my gamerscore and what the gently caress ever but I don't really care. I also don't care about the other video playing apps poo poo, I have an HTPC for that.

My computer is too old and at this point it's kind of a toss up between $400-$600 on a new video card and all the rest or $450 on a console that will give me less headaches than the PC.

Get whichever console your friends have because then you can play with them. Gaming is best enjoyed with friends!

Godspeed you gamer!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
If you have no friends go for the ps4 as it has more support due to a huge sales lead thanks to better hardware and a more defined future. This means more companies will cater for it and many more games.

Gaming is best enjoyed playing games!

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

tuyop posted:

You can buy one of the new consoles which each have 1 to 2 exclusive games worth playing and nothing in the pipeline until late 2016 or you can fix your PC and have thousands of awesome games to play right now. That's a really tough choice.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Adam Bowen posted:

You can buy one of the new consoles which each have 1 to 2 exclusive games worth playing and nothing in the pipeline until late 2016 or you can fix your PC and have thousands of awesome games to play right now. That's a really tough choice.

Or you could not be poor and have a PC and a console both. Capitalism is awesome!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You don't have to pay anywhere near $500 for a video card that will match current gen console graphics, what.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
my card is several years old and it handles the amazing new generation because as far as graphics go there were barely any advances made

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

My last big ticket purchase that I saved for was a lot of furniture, and I am thinking that my next one will be to upgrade my PC. I may even buy ALL new parts, minus peripherals, if I can afford it, and hook the old one up to the TV just for emulating old games. It currently struggles with Skyrim even on the low setting, so it's p. old. I think the tower is from like 2003.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

You don't have to pay anywhere near $500 for a video card that will match current gen console graphics, what.

Perhaps he means new cpu + a not garbage video card

Still, I'm running a GTX 560 Ti with an i5-4690 and it can take pretty much anything I throw at it

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

I put a $350 GTX 970 into my 5 year old PC with an i5-2500k and I can play everything at or near max.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
All the PC games worth playing can be played on a $200 laptop anyway. Euro Truck Sim, This War of Mine, Papers Please, Pillars of Eternity, etc.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah but if you're thinking about new consoles that means you like cross-platform shooters, and it takes a decent PC to run those.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I still think the Wii U is a good investment if you want a "Nintendo toy chest" console. If they can get digital GC games on eShop then I would call it the best console Nintendo's ever made, it already plays drat near everything. In terms of next-gen game experiences it does fall a little flat though.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

precision posted:

Or you could not be poor and have a PC and a console both. Capitalism is awesome!

This is weird coming from you when most of your posts in the PoE thread are 'this game is so well optimised it runs on my girlfriend's toaster laptop'. Really breaking the bank with that conspicuous consumption eh?

Awesome Welles posted:

Perhaps he means new cpu + a not garbage video card

Still, I'm running a GTX 560 Ti with an i5-4690 and it can take pretty much anything I throw at it

Witcher 3 has been the first thing to really make my GTX 760 break down and cry, but yeah otherwise it's still getting pretty great results two years down the line. Alot of enthusiasts are getting mad graphical advancements have slowed but I think it's great you can buy middle-tier hardware now and still get several years use out of it with barely a hint of obsolescence

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Truth be told while my current system can make games look real nice I choose to spend most of my time on Diablo 3, a game that ran a steady 30 FPS on my Athlon 64 X2 from 2005.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Excels posted:

I still think the Wii U is a good investment if you want a "Nintendo toy chest" console. If they can get digital GC games on eShop then I would call it the best console Nintendo's ever made, it already plays drat near everything. In terms of next-gen game experiences it does fall a little flat though.

Next-gen game experience so far is playing slightly better looking ports of PS3/360 games, and from what we saw at E3 when the next-gen games start to really arrive they're still just going to be better looking sequels to tired PS3/360 franchises.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bicyclops posted:

My last big ticket purchase that I saved for was a lot of furniture, and I am thinking that my next one will be to upgrade my PC. I may even buy ALL new parts, minus peripherals, if I can afford it, and hook the old one up to the TV just for emulating old games. It currently struggles with Skyrim even on the low setting, so it's p. old. I think the tower is from like 2003.

Wait for the Skylake Intel CPUs to come out because that's supposed to be a more significant shift than the past 4 years or so.

Actually you might want to wait in general because everyone's jumping on the 4k bandwagon.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Excels posted:

:agreed: it is the best console.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A Steampunk Gent posted:

This is weird coming from you when most of your posts in the PoE thread are 'this game is so well optimised it runs on my girlfriend's toaster laptop'. Really breaking the bank with that conspicuous consumption eh?

We live together, owning two up-to-date laptops is just a waste. :colbert:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't like it when games give me too many visual options to tweak because I'm guaranteed to waste hours trying to get the "best" settings instead of playing the actual game. Basically nobody can use PhysX on Black Flag without the game running like poo poo so why even give me that option, dammit.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

nintendo has given us so much, brought gamers from every corner of the world together, for over 30 years.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mak0rz posted:

the last good metroid game I ever played was shadow complex

Oh that new Strider game is on sale now for $5. Should I get it?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mak0rz posted:

Oh that new Strider game is on sale now for $5. Should I get it?

It's worth five bucks.

Not much more though.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sakurazuka posted:

It's worth five bucks.

Not much more though.

ok cool! I need to redeem myself after buying the furry abomination that is Dust. I just want a good metroidvania to play dammit :negative:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Mak0rz posted:

ok cool! I need to redeem myself after buying the furry abomination that is Dust. I just want a good metroidvania to play dammit :negative:
I hear Ori is really good and is a daily right now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd probably pick Ori over Strider, despite the first escape sequence making me want to strangle someone with my controller.

Strider is way more linear and kind of confusing when you're trying to back track. Ori has a different problem though in that some sections are shut off after beat them, occasionally making it impossible to 100%.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

Do you have Apotheon? It rules

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hated the floaty controls and combat in Apotheon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

computer parts posted:

Wait for the Skylake Intel CPUs to come out because that's supposed to be a more significant shift than the past 4 years or so.

Actually you might want to wait in general because everyone's jumping on the 4k bandwagon.

I'll have to anyway, because I want to save up, and I want to run Fallout 4 at high quality and not pay a zillion dollars, so I may need a year or two. Until then, I can run the games that are coming out on my laptop on the "low quality" setting. It's an Ultrabook and it's only like two years old.

• Locked thread