Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Literally The Worst posted:

Where the heck can I buy Vallejo online?

I got my stuff through Amazon :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

VoodooXT posted:

The War Store

This is the best price for me. Cheaper than any local store after 6 bottles once you count in shipping. No one has any stock locally.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Literally The Worst posted:

Where the heck can I buy Vallejo online?

Miniature Market and Meeplemart have it as well, although Meeplemart is currently showing a lot of stuff out of stock.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Not to be pedantic, but that's clearly more a reference to model hobbies rather than mini wargaming. Even without the Airfix/Blairfix pun, it's pretty clear those Labour figures are the wrong scale for wargaming :colbert:

Oh crap, I thought this was still the painting AND modeling thread. :sweatdrop:

You're too humble, it looks great. Most of the model is the catsuit and you have painted it in such a way that by virtue of the material itself it has details, it has sheen, it has shadow. If comic books had that lycra flexing noise, this would be it. The base has a nice contrast of looking dusty and grimy.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 18, 2015

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Late to last page's pigment separation chat, but you can get some easy organic weathering effects by watering down cheap craft store brown paint and slopping it over stone or concrete surfaces.

I'll post photos of some when I get home, it's a pretty cheap and easy thing to do.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Post 9-11 User posted:

Oh crap, I thought this was still the painting AND modeling thread. :sweatdrop:

No worries, I'm just messin' with ya. :hfive:

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Working on converting a Centurion to a Chuck/Eddie rogue trader type dreadnought.

It's a bit too far in the Tau direction, so I'm thinking skulls and cables or something?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Round the pads. Imperium rounds things. Add rivets. Wrap some jewelers chain around something, or put a line of green stuff and carve it into a bicycle chain looking kind of deal.

Cables everywhere. And an optometrist's phoropter on a periscope. Cannibalize machine spirits from rhinos.

Get a goblin or something, put a sack on its head, cut off its arm and replace it with a machine part, and have it following the thing on its base--maybe holding a controller or keeping a length of parchment from dragging.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
If you have to ask it needs more skulls

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Round the pads. Imperium rounds things. Add rivets. Wrap some jewelers chain around something, or put a line of green stuff and carve it into a bicycle chain looking kind of deal.

Cables everywhere. And an optometrist's phoropter on a periscope. Cannibalize machine spirits from rhinos.

Get a goblin or something, put a sack on its head, cut off its arm and replace it with a machine part, and have it following the thing on its base--maybe holding a controller or keeping a length of parchment from dragging.

Thanks, that's awesome.
Ithink the imperium is a bit torn on rounding things, marines especially seems to love hard edges of about 45 degrees with random cut-outs.
Edit: It's for Grey Knights, who are supposed to have slightly more advanced tech, so I'm thinking a little less exposed cables and more skulls and religious stuff.

Dr Hemulen fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 18, 2015

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

HardCoil posted:

Working on converting a Centurion to a Chuck/Eddie rogue trader type dreadnought.

It's a bit too far in the Tau direction, so I'm thinking skulls and cables or something?

It should basically be made out of skulls and cables for proper 40k. Just don't make it spikey or you've gone chaos.

On a serious note it's looking great. I wish I had greenstuff skills past filling gaps and fur.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Hi goons. I'm wondering if anyone has advice for weathering dark armor. Most of the weathering advice I've found / followed in the past assumes armor colors that will show all the steps of sponge chipping, for reference, this duder:

Now that I'm painting dark, old-school Alpha Legion, the only real strong colors on my models that will allow the contrast necessary are the extreme highlights. For reference:

So, the standard easy-day method of weathering my dudes probably won't work, and I'm kind of stuck/paralyzed on the next step. I don't want to cover them in rust or totally ruin the nice bright highlighting I have going. Weathering powders are on my agenda to play around with at some point, but there are so many options ya know?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

HardCoil posted:

I wish I could sculpt such lovely uniform shapes :(

so smooth!

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Clayshapers and lots of lube dude :)

That and large amount of filing with my new magical Flex-pad files. Most of the smoothness here comes from them.

Try it!

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

BirdieBedtime posted:

Hi goons. I'm wondering if anyone has advice for weathering dark armor. Most of the weathering advice I've found / followed in the past assumes armor colors that will show all the steps of sponge chipping, for reference, this duder:

Now that I'm painting dark, old-school Alpha Legion, the only real strong colors on my models that will allow the contrast necessary are the extreme highlights. For reference:

So, the standard easy-day method of weathering my dudes probably won't work, and I'm kind of stuck/paralyzed on the next step. I don't want to cover them in rust or totally ruin the nice bright highlighting I have going. Weathering powders are on my agenda to play around with at some point, but there are so many options ya know?

Sponge chipping/hairspray weathering will be fine, people do it on dark colored tanks all the time.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

HardCoil posted:

If you pull this off it'll probably be the only good centurion conversion anywhere ever

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BULBASAUR posted:

If you pull this off it'll probably be the only good centurion conversion anywhere ever

http://davetaylorminiatures.blogspot.com/2013/10/mechanicum-skittarii-centurion-completed.html

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010
After a simple green soak, I'm already much happier with how he is coming along.

Pre-soak:

New face:

New Wolf:

Question is, do I try to do pupils again or just give them a light blue glaze for spooky glowing eyes?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Now that you've pointed out what the pupils looked like in the original, this is all I can see:

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010

JerryLee posted:

Now that you've pointed out what the pupils looked like in the original, this is all I can see:

Yeah, they only look good from that "down and to the right" angle. I was ready to put something on the base for it to make sense.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Is the gloss varnish step of using microsol and microset really necessary or is it just for people that don't want to risk damaging the layer of paint underneath when weathering the decal?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Gloss varnish creates a perfectly flat surface for the transfer to sit on. Paint layers are naturally a tad bumpy so it is useful to do.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Its more to get a smooth surface I think

E: Gaylord! :argh:

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 19, 2015

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

PyroDwarf posted:

After a simple green soak, I'm already much happier with how he is coming along.

Pre-soak:

New face:

New Wolf:

Question is, do I try to do pupils again or just give them a light blue glaze for spooky glowing eyes?

Go with the spooky eyes. The blank eyes look really cool in this case so I think that'd make it look even better.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Glossy dark eyes. From what little I've read of the Space Wolf lore, the "wolves" aren't all there mentally.

Unrelated, does Green Stuff go off with age? The packs I got from the LGS were probably pretty old judging by the rest of their stock, and the stuff's been a pain to work with. It's tough and hard to knead, there are small hard chunks of the different colors that refuse to break apart or mix, and it never gets fully soft like I've read it's supposed to.

A Shitty Reporter fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 19, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I've always cut off the middle portion before mixing. I have stuff from about 10 years ago that's still feels the same as it always has, but I've always cut off the portion.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
If you got the strip stuff, the bits in the middle might be hard because that's what it does when the two parts are put together. You can cut those bits off and put the piece you've cut off under an incandescent ('normal' or halogen bulb) lamp, or in warm water, to warm it up so it's more pliant and easier to mix together.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Thanks, thought that might be the case but wasn't sure. I'll cut out the middle and try the warm water trick. Will report back.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

He did a lot of work, but it still looks like a centurion

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Centurions are cool and I will fight you. :mad:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Agreed

I mean, look at this motherfucker

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

BULBASAUR posted:

He did a lot of work, but it still looks like a centurion

Looks like a Skittarii that has eaten all the pies

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

BULBASAUR posted:

Agreed

I mean, look at this motherfucker

Thats a loving boss model.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

serious gaylord posted:

Thats a loving boss model.

I'm going to guess 75mm?

Nope, 90mm!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

An Angry Bug posted:

Centurions are cool and I will fight you. :mad:

Wrong

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
IMO the centurion model isn't nearly as bad when it's meant from the start to be a doofy mechanicus robot rather than something that the adeptus astartes would lower themselves to wear into battle

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
GW's "it looks dumb on purpose--that's part of the style" was cute 20 years ago when it was 1/3rd the price.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

What's a good, cheap way to store my paints/brushes/etc. if I don't have a dedicated hobby desk? I usually model and paint on the coffee table while watching TV, and the growing collection of supplies is getting to be a little much.

Just a tackle box or something?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yup, a tackle box is probably the best solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Do any of the other paint manufacturers have an equivalent colour to the new FW Lupercal Green and Sons of Horus green?

I'd order the FW one if it wasn't for the bloody shipping.