Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I like how it looks, though it is simple. I hope later levels have more enemies, I don't think it's being a weird fanboy to assume the showfloor demo was on the easy side of the game. I like that they are trying to do stable 60fps on both screens at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Polo-Rican posted:

When nintendo started their e3 conference with the puppet skit I thought for a second that was the style they were going with - the portraits would look like real, physical puppets, the ships would look like props, etc. That would have ruled.

Yeah I thought we were about to get a game announcement that would look like Muppets, since they're doing really interesting styles like claymation and yarn. Alas... it was just star fox zzz

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
If it's like Star Fox 64, which it looks like from the stuff we've been shown, then I am excited and will be playing the gently caress outta that game come release. Star Fox 64 was a game that you could blast through in 30 minutes if you took the easy paths and knew what to do but it took a lot longer and many, many more tries to unlock the harder paths and get all of the medals and honestly that's what I am looking for.

Pygma is gonna get the poo poo blasted out of him, fuuuuck that dude.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

Starfox looked like a really dull entry in a franchise that hasn't had a good game in nearly two decades. If you wanna believe they'll make it fun in the next few months that's cool but I'm skeptical.

It's entirely possible that the only footage we've seen is from early levels that are intended to ease you into the game.

It would certainly fit the pattern of NSMBU and 3D World, which take off the kid gloves a few worlds in and forget the concept of mercy by the end.

Imagine a Star Fox equivalent of Champion's Road.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Zonekeeper posted:

Well, Platinum is working on the game also so it wouldn't be much of a stretch.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Zonekeeper posted:

It would certainly fit the pattern of NSMBU and 3D World, which take off the kid gloves a few worlds in and forget the concept of mercy by the end.

I kinda remember people being fairly negative on 3D World and NSMBU when they were first shown off at E3 as well. I can only hope Star Fox is close to those games in terms of overall difficulty ramp up. I imagine they will be, that is kinda how Nintendo has always designed their level based games.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Zonekeeper posted:

It's entirely possible that the only footage we've seen is from early levels that are intended to ease you into the game.

That's entirely possible, but "Please assume the rest of the game is better and more interesting" isn't a great pitch. And it's not that it looks too easy, it's that it looks dull. What we were shown of Yarn Yoshi doesn't look challenging but that game looks awesome.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

All Frogs posted:

Well, Platinum is working on the game also so it wouldn't be much of a stretch.

I keep forgetting this. Optimism restored.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I kinda remember people being fairly negative on 3D World and NSMBU when they were first shown off at E3 as well. I can only hope Star Fox is close to those games in terms of overall difficulty ramp up. I imagine they will be, that is kinda how Nintendo has always designed their level based games.

That's actually a good example. I hope that, if it's true, we're going to get a trailer that shows a lot more, like they did with Mario 3D World.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Vookatos posted:

That's actually a good example. I hope that, if it's true, we're going to get a trailer that shows a lot more, like they did with Mario 3D World.

I kinda assumed that for every game they talked about this E3 there will be a more involved Direct at some point closer to the release date to drum up hype. I imagine we'll see at least one Direct showing off more of Yoshi, Star Fox, Animal Crossing, and Xenoblade this fall in the US.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
What could they possibly say about Yoshi that hasn't already been said a dozen times already?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

What could they possibly say about Yoshi that hasn't already been said a dozen times already?

I am not talking a 25 minute gameplay demo, I am talking a "hey it's now out in the US" announcement during a longer Direct about other upcoming games.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The Wool is not simply wool, but also the fabric of our dreams. As the game has been canceled.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Zonekeeper posted:

Cost. A 512GB SD card costs a wallet busting $500 and a 500gb SSD costs $180+. A 500gb hard drive can be had for $40 or less.

I see your point, but SD card costs aren't linear though, looking at Amazon you can get 256gb for $100. I guess I'm just still baffled that the Wii U doesn't allow SD cards for storage (on the actual U side at least). I can't think of a reason not to allow it, especially considering that Nintendo seems to make their consoles as compact as possible and practically requiring a second bulky peripheral that uses up the USB slots kinda defeats that purpose.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

raditts posted:

I see your point, but SD card costs aren't linear though, looking at Amazon you can get 256gb for $100. I guess I'm just still baffled that the Wii U doesn't allow SD cards for storage (on the actual U side at least). I can't think of a reason not to allow it, especially considering that Nintendo seems to make their consoles as compact as possible and practically requiring a second bulky peripheral that uses up the USB slots kinda defeats that purpose.

They had huge issues with the SD card slot on the Wii being used for homebrew. Might have something to do with it.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

raditts posted:

The SD port was the source of the big piracy issues they had with the Wii. It's only there for backward compatibility purposes, and even then the vWii is hackable through it. Since they force hard drives to be formatted in their proprietary disk format, the amount of damage that can be done is limited.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Also aren't SD cards not recommended for operating system use? As in I mean you're not going to get a long lasting sd card if you put critical system functions on it.

And would the transfer rates be able to keep up with the data loading? I confess, I don't know the speed difference between sd cards and the dvd drive. It's clearly not a problem for the 3ds but games are much larger on a wiiu (and maybe the nx)

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Yo, I seem to recall that someone posted a list of what the various Nindie@Home games actually are (ie their genres and a basic description), is that still lying around? I'm willing to give a couple of them a shot, but I'm not downloading and playing 9 demos. :effort:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

noirstronaut posted:

Honestly, you change the skins of some things and say your Captain Falcon and it's a new F-Zero racing game.

Eh... there is something about the charm of F-Zero. The art style and music really help make it. This game is an acceptable replacement though.

I think Nintendo has made their successful racer with MK8 and are moving on.

Vookatos posted:

Pretty much the only thing that Nintendo has over others when it comes to announcements are their monthly directs. They don't rely mostly on E3 for their announcements, unlike Sony or MS. So when those companies have nothing to show - that's a bad sign. Nintendo, on the other hand, announces at least one surprise every month, and one mediocre E3 is not a sign that Wii U is dying. Especially considering that they announced they're going to focus on 2015 and early 2016 titles without showing what's not ready. It was a bad decision, since those new games aren't very good, but I really don't get the whole "Everything moves to NX!!" panic.

Sony didn't really show anything that was coming out this year though that was an exclusive. Nintendo focused entirely on this year, and was split between Wii U and 3DS titles. Just running through the Playstation conference, there was no mention of Vita. NONE of their big exclusive titles have a 2015 release date.

Uncharted 4 - March 2016
Street Fighter V - March 2016
No Mans Sky - 2016
World of Final Fantasy - 2016
Horizon - 2016
Final Fantasy 7 Remake - No Release Date
The Last Guardian - 2016, more likely 2017
Shenmue 3 - No release date. Probably 2017 at the earliest
Dreams - No release date

2015 titles:
Batman Arkham Knight - June 2015, non exclusive
Ronin - Summer 2015
Disney Infinity 3.0 - Fall 2015, non exclusive
Firewatch - October 2015, Non Exclusive
Fallout 4 - November 2015, Non Exclusive
Star Wars Battlefront - November 2015, Non Exclusive
Call of Duty: Black Ops III - November 2015, Non Exclusive
Hitman - December 2015, Non Exclusive
Mother Russia Bleeds - TBD 2015, non exclusive
Crossing Souls - TBD 2016, Non Exclusive
Eitr - TBD

Now those third party games still make it a fantastic lineup for 2015, but Sony is going to be rehashing all those exclusives at their E3 next year.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
Wasn't there was some Gamespot exclusive Nintendo announcement supposed to happen today or did I misread something yesterday.

Also at first glance I felt underwhelmed with the announcements in the direct. Then I re-watched later with a friend and got hyped for the things that were shown. Sure not a ton of new things for my WiiU but that's probably for the better since my finances are tied up this year anyway and it gives me plenty of time to get my backlog finished.

Besides since the puppets were done by Jim Henson Creature Shop that makes Reggie, Iwata, Miyamoto as well as the Star Fox crew are now technically Muppets. They'll never get used again but with who knows.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Watch Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival, it looks neat and more relaxing then Mario Party or Fortune Street. Might be a fun spin off, if I can get people off their high horse to play.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Astro7x posted:

Eh... there is something about the charm of F-Zero. The art style and music really help make it. This game is an acceptable replacement though.

I think Nintendo has made their successful racer with MK8 and are moving on.

They made a successful party game with Nintendoland but they sure as gently caress won't move on from that apparently.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Jarogue posted:

Watch Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival, it looks neat and more relaxing then Mario Party or Fortune Street. Might be a fun spin off, if I can get people off their high horse to play.

Never.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

greatn posted:

What about it looked great.
I'm not saying it won't be an ugly game on release, but this has been said about almost every game Nintendo has released for at the very least the last 5 years.

And only been correct occasionally.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Astro7x posted:

Sony didn't really show anything that was coming out this year though that was an exclusive. Nintendo focused entirely on this year, and was split between Wii U and 3DS titles. Just running through the Playstation conference, there was no mention of Vita. NONE of their big exclusive titles have a 2015 release date.

Yep. With the whole "line-up of dreams" people often forget that part, but it seems like they tried to focus on marketing and big names, because they didn't have much. To this day many consider Bloodborne the only exclusive PS4 game that's actually a system seller, yet PS4 is extremely popular because of all the PR Sony has done.
And in the next year they'll probably venture into 2017-18 territory, because you can "win" E3 nowadays just by mentioning big game or showing a CG trailer of it.

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Wasn't there was some Gamespot exclusive Nintendo announcement supposed to happen today or did I misread something yesterday.

There was a "Nintendo title" that they were supposed to show, and considering they usually write the names of titles, many assumed it was something new. I don't know when it is or if it's done already, though.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Nintendo had the world championships. Nobody else had anything nearly as fun and about video games . Anyone saying anything other than Nintendo had e strongest and best e3 is wrong

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

When nintendo started their e3 conference with the puppet skit I thought for a second that was the style they were going with - the portraits would look like real, physical puppets, the ships would look like props, etc. That would have ruled.

That sort of style was used in a side project of the Patlabor anime called Mini Pato.

They animated characters like they were stuck on sticks in a puppet show. It looks really cool.
http://www.veoh.com/watch/v206747934FyER8dT

A whole Starfox game around that concept would be super fun. A lot like a whole Yoshi game around the yarn concept looks really fun :allears:
I think the worst thing about the Starfox game is that it looks.. boring. Could be fun.. but man did it look boring.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
A Starfox game that looked like that old Thunderbirds show would rule

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

A Starfox game that looked like that old Thunderbirds show would rule

If you missed the Nintendo E3 Direct, Shiggy mentions that Thunderbirds were a major source of inspiration for Starfox.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Polo-Rican posted:

Klay Kirby, Yarn Yoshi, and Fake Fox would be a nice trio.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Klay Kirby, Yarn Yoshi, and Fake Fox would be a nice trio.

Felt.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Vookatos posted:

To this day many consider Bloodborne the only exclusive PS4 game that's actually a system seller, yet PS4 is extremely popular because of all the PR Sony has done.

I overheard some people talking at work yesterday about E3 and a guy said "Wow, now I have a reason to get a PS4! Well, a reason to rebuy a PS4!"

People and their money are pretty easily separated, sometimes over and over for the same product apparently.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

They're showing off Starfox on the Treehouse live right now.

http://www.twitch.tv/nintendo/popout

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Astro7x posted:

Now that you mention it, it's a little worrisome that Persona 5 wasn't mentioned at all, as that is a Sony exclusive with a tentative 2015 release date.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

On the whole this year is pretty good for Nintendo which is why I still consider 2012 the worst E3 for Nintendo (worse than 2008). In 2008, Nintendo still had Smash Bros Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit, Wario Land 5, Endless Ocean, Mario Super Sluggers... so Wii Music and Animal Crossing City Folk being their main E3 highlights didn't ultimately ruin their whole year. In 2012, Wii was pretty much wrapped up, with its only titles being Rhythm Heaven Fever, Pokepark 2, and Mario Party 9. Which would have been acceptable if Wii U was getting a major slate of launch games, but it didn't. Pikmin didn't even hit launch, leaving them only with NSMBU, NintendoLand and Sing Party. That was a really, really bad year overall.

If you step back and look at 2015: Splatoon, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Yoshi's Woolly World, Xenoblade X, Star Fox, Super Mario Maker, Art Academy Home Studio, the revival of Mother Zero. This is a really good year for first-party titles on Wii U, especially in terms of variety.

2016 should be pretty good for Wii U too. What we know of 2016 is about as much as what we knew about 2015 a year ago. The 2015-targeted titles at E3 last year for Wii U were: Splatoon, Zelda and Yoshi's Woolly World. Of course, Zelda got delayed. So there's a lot more to come. Unfortunately last year we didn't get a full Nintendo Direct after E3 until November, hopefully we won't have to wait as long this time.

e: I'm watching Star Fox Zero yet again, and I still don't understand how it looks any different from any other Star Fox game. It certainly doesn't look slow compared to any past Star Fox game. The original Star Fox ran at like 5 frames per second... and Star Fox 64 was not like.. super fast. Also this guy is really good at the game which makes me think that once you reach the skill floor of the game the controls will be really snappy.

They should consider having a Wiimote+Nunchuck option too because I feel like that'd work really well for this.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 18, 2015

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
"Use your gyro controls!"

I really hope they tone that down .

Walker thing actually looks cool.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ok the treehouse makes Starfox look cool.

The actual Digital Event made it look boring :psyduck:

Thank you Treehouse.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Yeah, it looks like the "gyro controls" chatter was only on the first level, which makes sense.

I'm a lot more interested in this game now.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

This guy is practically speedrunning this poo poo he's so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Starfox Zero: Cool game™

• Locked thread