Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

VitalSigns posted:

We do let people display it, that wasn't the issue. It's always been and will always be completely legal to display the Confederate flag.

Still think it's a symbol of treason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Am I understanding right that Ginsburg won't release any opinions now, as they're released in reverse seniority? Or is that on a per-day, not per-year, basis?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Beamed posted:

Am I understanding right that Ginsburg won't release any opinions now, as they're released in reverse seniority? Or is that on a per-day, not per-year, basis?

Per day.

DakkaUT
Sep 27, 2004

Beamed posted:

Per day, so we have no idea who's writing the opinions coming out Monday.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Beamed posted:

For the year, opinions are released on the first announcement day after the opinion is finalized. On each announcement day, the opinions that are ready are presented in order of reverse seniority, with the Chief Justice always going last, regardless of his time on the bench.

Aside from the announcements, there's also some effort by the court to balance workloads on a monthly basis, with each justice generally writing at least one majority opinion for each month (based on when the case was argued, not when the opinion is announced). Right now, for example, the only opinion remaining from the court's January sitting is Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs v. The Inclusive Communities Project and Justice Kennedy is the only Justice without a majority opinion from January. That means it's a decent bet (but not certain) that Kennedy will be writing that opinion. That's better for supporters of disparate impact analysis than the alternative, because before the opinions were announced today, the other likely possibility was Justice Thomas (but he got the sign case from January).

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

ActusRhesus posted:

Still think it's a symbol of treason.

In the last hundred years the meaning of the battle flag has changed from what it once was to a symbol of reactionary culture and politics which also tend to include being a USA #1 super patriot, which is why this troll is so much fun to use on people are are into it.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Maarek posted:

In the last hundred years the meaning of the battle flag has changed from what it once was to a symbol of reactionary culture and politics which also tend to include being a USA #1 super patriot, which is why this troll is so much fun to use on people are are into it.

Oh I get that in their mind it's 'Murcia. But it's the symbol of a treason movement that nearly destroyed 'Murcia. Now I don't think the root cause of the civil war is as simple as "the south is racist" but regardless of their motives, what they did was treason. You can't fly a traitors banner and call yourself a proud American. So back to my original assessment: moron or master troll.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I don't think lost causers believe they're in southeastern Spain.:v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Apparently a court held that senior Bush officials can be sued for their post 911 profiling:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/18/us/immigrants-suit-over-detention-after-9-11-is-revived.html

This is almost certainly going to be taken up and overturned by the SCOTUS, isn't it?

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

ActusRhesus posted:

You can't fly a traitors banner and call yourself a proud American.

You can take my Kenneth Brannagh Spider Flag from Wild Wild West from my cold dead hand, statist.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

mdemone posted:

He's saying that the Confederate flag has no intrinsic speech value, which is such obvious bullshit.

He was saying the opposite - that displaying the confederate flag is speech. By displaying some private speech and not others, the government is discriminating based on viewpoint, which is a no-no. He concludes that speech on custom license plates should be treated in the same way that speech on the side of city buses is treated.

The implication of the decision is that Texas is allowed to produce pro-life license plates and also deny an design for pro-choice license plates - what's listed on license plates counts as "government speech" so they can pick and choose which viewpoints they want to show. Which has already happened, apparently.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Why exactly should I care whether the government chooses to make license plates available for every side in a debate, no matter how traitorous or racist?

Are license plates so big now that you can't fit some dumb bumper sticker next to them announcing your support for local sports teams/abortion rights/slavery?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Why exactly should I care whether the government chooses to make license plates available for every side in a debate, no matter how traitorous or racist?

Are license plates so big now that you can't fit some dumb bumper sticker next to them announcing your support for local sports teams/abortion rights/slavery?

Because the state shouldn't be forced to do things it deems traitorous or racist?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

^^ That's what I'm saying.

I'm responding to the complaint that because of this ruling Texas might choose to print pro-life license plates and not pro-choice ones but I don't see why I should care about that situation.

VV
No worries

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 19, 2015

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

^^ That's what I'm saying.

I'm responding to the complaint that because of this ruling Texas might choose to print pro-life license plates and not pro-choice ones but I don't see why I should care about that situation.

Ah, I am phone posting and didn't read yours in context with the prior statement - misinterpreted you, I apologize.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ActusRhesus posted:

Oh I get that in their mind it's 'Murcia. But it's the symbol of a treason movement that nearly destroyed 'Murcia. Now I don't think the root cause of the civil war is as simple as "the south is racist" but regardless of their motives, what they did was treason. You can't fly a traitors banner and call yourself a proud American. So back to my original assessment: moron or master troll.

Well, if you can take a flag of a white supremacist nation and make it represent all races, it doesn't seem a big leap to take another white supremacist flag and treat it as a continuation of white supremacy.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

ActusRhesus posted:

You are out of your mind. Public shaming them is one thing, but making it treasonous is another thing completely.

Edit: This is especially funny since you always want to talk about law vs. perception. You decide to come down on the perception side of something that is important, yet meaningless at the same time.
Plus, how many lives would be lost if we sent the Government in to take down all of those flags? Are those lives worth the cost to you?

Pohl fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 19, 2015

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pohl posted:

Plus, how many lives would be lost if we sent the Government in to take down all of those flags? Are those lives worth the cost to you?
Sounds like a great way to free up some land. :getin:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

While I find myself agreeing with the text of ActusRhesus' post everyone is quoting, I don't trust that it's sincere and not just a bunch of bullshit performance art under the belief that it'd mean something in relation to conservatives like King being like nazi death camp guards in that they are culpable on a level beyond mere passive complicity and aren't exonerated just because they whored themselves out to someone with similar ideals but more money. Like "oh, they think King is like a death camp guard in this thread? well let me raise the ante and say flying the confederate symbol is treason, maybe they'll catch my subtle sarcasm and see the light" except completely misguided.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 19, 2015

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Maybe it's just that the confederate flag is a textbook example of a symbol of treason?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Maybe it's just that the confederate flag is a textbook example of a symbol of treason?

I have it on good authority from people in the South that it was actually the Union maliciously, and unfairly attacking the poor Southern States who were only trying to best follow the legacy of the Founders. Oh if only that Lincoln hadn't so bloodthirstily used his tyrannic hordes to attack the unsuspecting South.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FuriousxGeorge posted:

That's something I agree with in full, nobody's going around running a full-page ad of a picture of Yamamoto in the Honolulu papers on December 7, nobody's hailing Benedict Arnold up in West Point, but a good quarter of the country is loving infested with subhuman filth who think this particular symbol is not only something other than the sigil of stabbing your own country in the back but something bearing respect and honor.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Yes. This. The fact people seem not to understand the difference between poo poo that is offensive and poo poo that is an endorsement of treason amuses me. The confederacy were traitors. Their flag is a symbol of treason.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

While I find myself agreeing with the text of ActusRhesus' post everyone is quoting, I don't trust that it's sincere and not just a bunch of bullshit performance art under the belief that it'd mean something in relation to conservatives like King being like nazi death camp guards in that they are culpable on a level beyond mere passive complicity and aren't exonerated just because they whored themselves out to someone with similar ideals but more money. Like "oh, they think King is like a death camp guard in this thread? well let me raise the ante and say flying the confederate symbol is treason, maybe they'll catch my subtle sarcasm and see the light" except completely misguided.

No. I genuinely think endorsing treason should be a crime. You want to claim southern pride, fly your state flag. Flying the flag of the confederacy is an endorsement of treason.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
When I think of what our country needs it's definitely a lot more people in prison so I'm definitely on board with this legal fan fiction you're writing.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

No. I genuinely think endorsing treason should be a crime. You want to claim southern pride, fly your state flag. Flying the flag of the confederacy is an endorsement of treason.

Yeah...about that

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Dubstep Jesus posted:

When I think of what our country needs it's definitely a lot more people in prison so I'm definitely on board with this legal fan fiction you're writing.

This forum discusses how they'd like the law to be vs how the law actually is all the time. My turn now.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Because this decision is an expansion of the government speech doctrine, and will be used as precedent in future first amendment cases. It opens the door to more government viewpoint-based discrimination, which doesn't only cut against offensive speech from the right.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

What is viewpoint based discrimination?

The government isn't saying "you can't go to UT if you have a Confederate bumper sticker" or banning the Confederate flag or anything like that, just refusing to print them on government documents.

Does the First Amendment really require the government to print my personal views on government documents? Do you agree with the dissent that state universities should be required to permit anything on their bulletin boards?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

What is viewpoint based discrimination?

The government isn't saying "you can't go to UT if you have a Confederate bumper sticker" or banning the Confederate flag or anything like that, just refusing to print them on government documents.

Does the First Amendment really require the government to print my personal views on government documents? Do you agree with the dissent that state universities should be required to permit anything on their bulletin boards?

It's discriminating against speakers based on their views. Which is vaguely defined in words but is fairly well understood in the context of historical court opinions.

When the government opens up a government setting to private speech, they are creating a forum for speech. For example, allowing people to protest in a public park, or giving tax deductions for charitable donations, or allowing private charities to solicit federal employees through the federal govt's combined charity campaign, or allowing advertisements on city buses, or allowing people to post signs on public rights-of-way. These forums require the government to print or display private speech, even if the government disagrees with the viewpoint of the speaker or finds it offensive.

Government speech definitely exists, and government sponsored forums for speech definitely exist. A fuzzy line exists between them, but I'm with the ACLU on this one when I say that this decision moves the line.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Would have been better to just say "treason is not protected speech and the confederate flag is the symbol of the largest act of treason in American history". Especially given a the "the south will rise again" bullshit. You lost. Get over it. You're lucky your ancestors weren't all hanged as traitors.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

esquilax posted:

It's discriminating against speakers based on their views. Which is vaguely defined in words but is fairly well understood in the context of historical court opinions.

When the government opens up a government setting to private speech, they are creating a forum for speech. For example, allowing people to protest in a public park, or giving tax deductions for charitable donations, or allowing private charities to solicit federal employees through the federal govt's combined charity campaign, or allowing advertisements on city buses, or allowing people to post signs on public rights-of-way. These forums require the government to print or display private speech, even if the government disagrees with the viewpoint of the speaker or finds it offensive.

Government speech definitely exists, and government sponsored forums for speech definitely exist. A fuzzy line exists between them, but I'm with the ACLU on this one when I say that this decision moves the line.

When phrased like this it sounds like Bong Hits for Jesus, which makes me even more confused that Scalia dissented.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

esquilax posted:

Because this decision is an expansion of the government speech doctrine, and will be used as precedent in future first amendment cases. It opens the door to more government viewpoint-based discrimination, which doesn't only cut against offensive speech from the right.

I swear this level of worship over freedom of speech borders into idolatry.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Just take away personalized/vanity/whatever plates.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Just take away personalized/vanity/whatever plates.

And ask the state to give up a revenue source based on exploiting the insanity of its citizens? You monster.

Seriously. Vanity plates are dumb.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

ActusRhesus posted:

Would have been better to just say "treason is not protected speech and the confederate flag is the symbol of the largest act of treason in American history". Especially given a the "the south will rise again" bullshit. You lost. Get over it. You're lucky your ancestors weren't all hanged as traitors.

I kind of agree with this, but also think treasonous speech should be protected? I doubt many flyers of the confederate flag literally want armed revolution or advocate for the same. So long as the direct doesn't call for violence it should be permitted.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

Seriously. Vanity plates are dumb.

I'm disappointed that this sentence didn't appear at the end of the ruling with a 9-0 concurrence.

But maybe Ginsburg has Notorious RBG plates

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

VitalSigns posted:

I'm disappointed that this sentence didn't appear at the end of the ruling with a 9-0 concurrence.

But maybe Ginsburg has Notorious RBG plates

I would kill for an RBG themed plate

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

What's with you and treason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I kind of agree with this, but also think treasonous speech should be protected? I doubt many flyers of the confederate flag literally want armed revolution or advocate for the same. So long as the direct doesn't call for violence it should be permitted.

Except our whole justification for playing game of drones with al anwaki was in recognition that treasonous speech IS dangerous.

Side note: I disapprove of summarily executing people outside a theater of combat. I would not, however, had had any issue with trying him for treason and other crimes and hanging his rear end if he were convicted.