Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

prefect posted:

I thought TV Land was all about reruns? :confused:
And A&E was about arts and entertainment, and dozens of other niche channels that decided "hey, let's make money doing the same poo poo everyone else does." Because when i hear "The Learning Channel," I think reality television :haw:

On the rare occasion a channel with a sweet premise actually sticks to it, it dies. RIP Trio, you were too good for this cable system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
TV Land pulls okay ratings for cable, depending on the show, but it really is just a "oh thank God I can still get work" graveyard for a lot of people that used to be on much better shows. That and, as far as I can tell, their shows aren't on any streaming service anywhere, so almost nobody knows they exist.

That said, that's a far cry from Glover landing a deal to make his own Louie vanity project for FX. If it ever finishes and airs, at least.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Space_Butler posted:

TV Land pulls okay ratings for cable, depending on the show, but it really is just a "oh thank God I can still get work" graveyard for a lot of people that used to be on much better shows. That and, as far as I can tell, their shows aren't on any streaming service anywhere, so almost nobody knows they exist.

Hulu has a bunch of them.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Space_Butler posted:

Hot in Cleveland was pretty okay from what I remember of it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Looks like we won't be getting that movie for a while.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
TV Land is giving Jim Gaffigan a show, so these two shows are enough to get me to give them a chance now.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Steve Vader posted:

Alison Brie is going to star in and executive produce a show on TV Land about elementary school teachers. It features Key & Peele showrunners and a Chicago improv group called The Katydids because everybody in the group is named some form of Kate.

TV Land. That's not the best sign.

But they will plug this at Comic-Con. It is called Teachers.

“Teachers” revolves around six elementary school teachers who are trying to mold the minds and lives of America’s youth, even though they don’t really seem to have their own lives together at all. From refusing to read fairytales because “sometimes Prince Charming wants to date other people” to hitting on the resident “hot dad,” these teachers are certainly changing the world, one student at a time. The series stars improv group The Katydids - Caitlin Barlow, Katy Colloton, Cate Freedman, Kate Lambert, Katie O’Brien and Katie Thomas – who also wrote and starred in the web hit that the TV series is based on. In addition to writing for and starring in “Teachers,” they will also serve as executive producers alongside Alison Brie (“Community”) and showrunners Ian Roberts and Jay Martel (“Key and Peele”).

I don't see anything saying Brie will star. All the articles I see just say that she will EP.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Brocktoon posted:

I don't see anything saying Brie will star. All the articles I see just say that she will EP.

Ah, you know, I think you're right. I misread a press release. It's the Katydids web series adapted to TV.

But Hot In Cleveland was just kind of sad.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
This habitat was for humanity!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's a locomotive that runs on us!

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Because the real bugs aren't the ones that those beds.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Harrison Ford is irradiating our testicles with microwave satellite transmissions...!

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.
The only sharks in that water are the emotional ghosts that I like to call fear, anchovies, fear, and the dangers of ingesting mercury.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

midnightclimax posted:

Just saw the first five minutes of Get Hard. Holy poo poo, Alison Brie! :stare: :gizz: Then I turned off.

What the gently caress, dude, she's wearing the burka of lingerie. I was expecting some titty or, at most, a bikini. Not this fully body underwear poo poo that hasn't been sexy since the 1860s.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
GOD drat I can see Alison Brie's ankles. :gizz: Oh, show me that elbow, baby! Yeah, no flaky dead skin on that elbow. Ooooh yeeeaaaahhhh. :gizz:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rewatched Remedial Chaos Theory. I bet Shirley's pies burned in the real timeline too because she got distracted dancing to Roxanne.

edit: lets talk about this and not whatever just happened up there.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Bown posted:

Rewatched Remedial Chaos Theory. I bet Shirley's pies burned in the real timeline too because she got distracted dancing to Roxanne.

edit: lets talk about this and not whatever just happened up there.

Remedial Chaos Theory is just an excellent example of really well written and plotted television. It also helps that it gives me flashbacks to one of my favorite Star Trek TNG episodes, Cause and Effect.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I love alternate timeline stories, so this was a fave of mine as well.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah it's also insanely well-structured and one of the funniest episodes ever. Troy coming back to all the chaos with the troll in the middle is one of the best gags they ever did.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

It's a tough call, but Remedial Chaos Theory may be the best episode of Community. "Roxane" is one of my wife's favorite songs and I cut her off every time she sings along to it with a "No".

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Does anyone have any info about Dan Harmon's obsession with story structure, and what his 4-season plan would have been if he hadn't been removed? I'm thinking of that four-quadranted circle that keeps coming up, like in the third season Christmas episode and on background whiteboards in various DVD special features.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hedrigall posted:

Does anyone have any info about Dan Harmon's obsession with story structure, and what his 4-season plan would have been if he hadn't been removed? I'm thinking of that four-quadranted circle that keeps coming up, like in the third season Christmas episode and on background whiteboards in various DVD special features.

a big thing about his planned season 4 was jeff meeting his dad, who would be played by bill murray

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hedrigall posted:

Doesn't the clock in Troy and Abed's rap in the Glee episode point to where they are on that circle too?

Bown posted:

Yeah, but she can't blame them for it because she was there and she was having a good time, so all's well that ends well, I guess.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 18, 2015

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Doesn't the clock in Troy and Abed's rap in the Glee episode point to where they are on that circle too?

Yep.

A quarter is each season followed by static for the final third of season three and all of season four.

edit: Whoops, that picture is awfully big. Have a link instead

http://i.imgur.com/oG3KZUm.jpg

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

You can follow his full explanation starting here http://channel101.wikia.com/wiki/Story_Structure_101:_Super_Basic_Shit

Basically everything he writes is structured around this circle

1. A character is in a zone of comfort
  2. But they want something
  3. They enter an unfamiliar situation
  4. Adapt to it
  5. Get what they wanted
  6. Pay a heavy price for it
  7. Then return to their familiar situation
  8. Having changed

Every character walks 4 paths (even numbers) through 4 points (odd numbers), and ends up back in some kind of comfort zone (not necessarily the same one they started in) ready to make another lap.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Okay. So given the fact that he used those four quadrants in that clock thing, how does each season relate to each quadrant?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Season one represents when they're still attached to their old, lacking lives but discovering that they need something more than what they used to have, season two is the true crazy of Greendale showing itself and them adapting and getting sucked in, season three is them having discovered a sense of fulfillment as a result of their new friendships but then paying the psychological price for the insanity that is the school (the dark year), and season 4 would have been them emerging out the other side into real life having been changed for the better by it.

There's probably a more detailed breakdown of how it all fits together, and I'll bet you could do one for each character's individual journey, but I'm not Dan Harmon.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 18, 2015

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Ok.

Season 3 Halloween episode is the worst episode of my rewatch yet. Season 4 spread its tendrils far back in time.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
The latest Harmontown podcast has Paget Brewster as a guest, and she's great. :swoon:

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
This is the best video about Harmon's story circle: http://www.channel101.com/segment/1098

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Hedrigall posted:

Ok.

Season 3 Halloween episode is the worst episode of my rewatch yet. Season 4 spread its tendrils far back in time.

Whaaaa. Horror Fiction In Seven Spooky Steps is one of the funniest episodes of the series.

GAAAAAAY MARRIAGE :unsmigghh:

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Buh duh buh buh duh. Buh duh buh duh. Buh duh buh buh duh, BAH bah bah bAAAaah duhhhhh.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
On the topic of the Harmon Story Structure, I wonder if the "return to the familiar" in season 4 would've entailed all the characters going back to where they were before Greendale, like Jeff becoming a lawyer again, but having more scruples and an ability to connect with other people.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Why not just ask Harmon on Twitter when he turns it back on? It's not like the dude is shy about sharing his opinions.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Transmodiar posted:

Why not just ask Harmon on Twitter when he turns it back on? It's not like the dude is shy about sharing his opinions.

This also seems like the kind of question he might enjoy talking about. Unless the mention of season 4 sets him off in a bad way. :ohdear:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

In It For The Tank posted:

What the gently caress was that tag!

Harmon, you son of bitch.
Yeah that was pretty excellent.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

prefect posted:

This also seems like the kind of question he might enjoy talking about. Unless the mention of season 4 sets him off in a bad way. :ohdear:

Dan's mentioned multiple times that his mother likes Season 4, so he's got some baggage to say the least.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

The Action Man posted:

Dan's mentioned multiple times that his mother likes Season 4, so he's got some baggage to say the least.

Season 4 isn't awful, just mediocre.

It's a lot like seasons 5 and 6 really, but fans just give it a bad rap because Dan was ousted from the show. There's some good episodes in there.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The Harmon seasons were always slightly antagonistic toward the audience, whereas Season 4 was weirdly trying to be your buddy for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

MikeJF posted:

Season one represents when they're still attached to their old, lacking lives but discovering that they need something more than what they used to have, season two is the true crazy of Greendale showing itself and them adapting and getting sucked in, season three is them having discovered a sense of fulfillment as a result of their new friendships but then paying the psychological price for the insanity that is the school (the dark year), and season 4 would have been them emerging out the other side into real life having been changed for the better by it.

There's probably a more detailed breakdown of how it all fits together, and I'll bet you could do one for each character's individual journey, but I'm not Dan Harmon.

I remember that during season 3 he talked about making an effort to show them away from campus more, so that they could eventually transition to life outside of school and have that seem natural. I always thought it was a bit odd that he didn't try that out instead of doubling down on Greendale being the setting in season 5.

• Locked thread