Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
He's a fairly well-read man who happens to really like a lot of western fiction writing, uses that as inspiration in his work.

It just happens that a lot of western fiction is dark as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Expelled From Paradise is his usual themes with a more optimistic bent, the Urobutcher poo poo is only true of like Fate Zero, Madoka and earlier VN's.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

It's why I find the existence of Madoka Magica to be such a strange thing because it could only have been done in this medium, but it doesn't fit what anime generally is.

I'm pretty sure madoka would work even if it wasn't Japanese animation

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Namtab posted:

I'm pretty sure madoka would work even if it wasn't Japanese animation

The overall story would certainly work, but the asthetics of it would be jarring outside of an anime framework.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Urobuchi ripped the story off from a Kamen Rider series anyway.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

It's why I find the existence of Madoka Magica to be such a strange thing because it could only have been done in this medium, but it doesn't fit what anime generally is. No anime reviewer could possibly handle the narrative complexity of Madoka because all they care about, and all that they've been expected to care about, is that Madoka has cute girls and crazy plots.
please don't make me an accomplice to this ridiculous post

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

The overall story would certainly work, but the asthetics of it would be jarring outside of an anime framework.

This, pretty much. But the story requires some knowledge of the magical girl genre, which is only a genre within anime.

Gyra_Solune posted:

Honestly considering he went on to write Gargantia which was about a soldier learning how to chill out and live on a cool boat, and the original intent for Aldnoah was that everyone lives happily ever after instead of having to nearly die halfway through, I'm reasonably sure the moniker oft given to Urobuchi is fairly inaccurate.

Was that the original intent? It seemed like grimdark was where Aldnoah was headed from the start.

But Gargantia was certainly something unique for the so called Urobutcher. For the most part at least. The other part was pretty dark, but then again that was meant to solidify how good being a chill bro is.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 19, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't think the story requires any knowledge of the genre

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's probably best if you don't since that's the first step to referring to Modoka as a deconstruction.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's technically a return to form. :v:

Burn the witches!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

It's probably best if you don't since that's the first step to referring to Modoka as a deconstruction.

Yeah this.

Also if knowledge of the genre was required I don't think it'd be as big of a hit as it was.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I wonder if all those people simply didn't know what the word "subversion" meant.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
To be fair, if his afterwords are to be trusted, Urobutcher was a thing all the way up to Fate/Zero which apparently served as therapy to be able to do happier stuff.

But once people build a reputation other people get stupid about it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

I wonder if all those people simply didn't know what the word "subversion" meant.
it's not that either

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i wonder if all those people thought tv tropes had credibility

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

TVTropes Has Ruined My Life

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Sakurazuka posted:

The fruit shop guy in Gaim is a clear ripoff of the lawyer's assistant in Ryuki

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
This topic is pretty active for not even having brought up Hanokage's new manga that just started serialization this month focusing on the world of wraiths.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is any of Madoka manga seriously worth reading, because it seems like the sort of thing where the 'expanded universe' stuff just starts dragging the whole thing down.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Is any of Madoka manga seriously worth reading, because it seems like the sort of thing where the 'expanded universe' stuff just starts dragging the whole thing down.

I own a lot of it

The answer is no

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Sakurazuka posted:

What is the madoka magica thread consensus on that series.
I only got to episode twenty because I got tired of that one character saying "strong" all the time.

A lot of it felt like a weaker retread of some of Madoka's ideas.
I do only half watch these kinds of things unless they absolutely blindside me like Madoka did, their entire purpose is to be something I can follow while doing Real Work. And that show definately was not amazing me, so I might have missed its true depth.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Sakurazuka posted:

You're reading licensed doujin works, essentially. It's just a question of whether you mind that or not.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Read The Different Story, it's quality in terms of narrative is very close to the original series. Kazumi and Oriko are avoids, Tart is ok but probably non-canon because they screwed up part of the narrative such that it doesn't work with the main series. Haven't read Suzune, probably not worth it either, though. The official adaption of the series has very weird pacing issues and was working off an older version of the script, so it has some differences (Sayaka killing those host guys on the train, a short scene with Kyouko and Sayaka after Kyouko dies, and a short scene with Madoka and Homura at the end that conflicts with Rebellion). Amazon cancelled my order of the Rebellion adaptation, so I dunno what that's like, but it's probably inferior to the movie because Rebellion really isn't adaptable into a manga format.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah the manga about mami and kyouko is good and adds to their characters, the rest is completely skippable

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Endorph posted:

yeah the manga about mami and kyouko is good and adds to their characters, the rest is completely skippable

People didn't understand in our Madoka shoot at a recent anime convention why my friend and I wanted to do a shoot with Mami and Kyoko. They thought we were just doing all the combinations.

Some shots were pretty lopsided. I was one of ~6 homuras and we had to share 3 madokas. There was one sayaka to be shared by ~5 kyoko's. The mami's/homura's/kyoko's were pretty even though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i would like to share 3 madokas

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

same except kyouko, and 10

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
same except Homura, and just one

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

jiffypop45 posted:

I was one of ~6 homuras and we had to share 3 madokas.

Accurate representation of photoshoot:

@Lord Justice: I think the manga is worth a read online if you get the chance. Hanokage's art is just really cute and it improved tenfold in Rebellion. It lacks some of Rebellion's best points like the amazing animation and Kajiura's sound, but it has its own selling points and I liked it.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Space Flower posted:

Accurate representation of photoshoot:

i am OK with this

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Im the homura on the bottom right IRL

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

Space Flower posted:

@Lord Justice: I think the manga is worth a read online if you get the chance. Hanokage's art is just really cute and it improved tenfold in Rebellion. It lacks some of Rebellion's best points like the amazing animation and Kajiura's sound, but it has its own selling points and I liked it.

Yeah, I'll have a look, hopefully I can find a physical copy somewhere.

Space Flower posted:

This topic is pretty active for not even having brought up Hanokage's new manga that just started serialization this month focusing on the world of wraiths.

Now this is interesting. I looked it up myself, and it looks we're going to get some questions answered about Godoka's New World.

The title page:

What stands out to me are Homura's ribbon and Sayaka's presence. From what I can tell, Sayaka is alive in at least the first chapter of Wraith Arc:

It's going into her problems with Kyousuke and Hitomi again, which seems to be similar to what happened in the series. More to the point though, the first chapter is set before the scene where Sayaka dies in the series, which is when Homura seems to consciously appear in the New World. If this is the case, it's possible we may see a "New World" Homura, one who existed separately from the series Homura. It's unclear what exactly happened to Homura in the series, but if I had to guess, there was a sort of overwrite action, with series Homura overwriting the New World Homura. We know that Homura existed prior to that scene, and the ribbons just appearing in her hands like that is suspicious.

One other thing I noticed:

The scene in void space is detailed again, and is now even more tasteful than the Eternal edit. Good to see them continuing to walk that back, and makes me a little more confident for Post-Rebellion if nothing else.

Lord Justice fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 21, 2015

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Here's one of the Madoka/Homura shoot pictures. I didn't plan on posting it but since several people replied to the post I figured I might as well and can post more of the shoot if there's interest. This was my first time cosplaying at a convention so I wasn't really sure how photo shoots went with poses/smiling/photographers so consequently I have some weird faces in a lot of the ones that were taken because of it, this is one of the least so. I really liked my costume that a friend made for me, I thought I had the best looking one personally, and my makeup (though somewhat minimal) was the best I'd ever done.

I'm the guy

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Don't recognize the outfit down center in front, but those all look pretty well done, considering the source material.

kohon
Feb 26, 2015
The one in front center was part of a group that came as punk versions of characters. I think they just had homura, sayaka, and kyoko in their group.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

kohon posted:

The one in front center was part of a group that came as punk versions of characters. I think they just had homura, sayaka, and kyoko in their group.

It was a fun alternative/punk reimagining. I enjoy the creativity that goes into that sort of thing since it's not something I ever feel I could pull off. Some of the gender bends are this way too but, a sizable portion are just woman wearing male character costumes and that's not really the same. (And underscores something totally unrelated that I won't get into).

What's a subtext?

I was never a fan of this ship despite thinking The Other Story was very well written. I'm much more partial to the Kyoko/Sayaka pairing.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I love the Bebe chilling in the back just behind a Mami.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

The Charlotte was actually one of the people in my cosplay group along with a Mami.

And some Rebellion fan service while we are here

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Fun times at the madoka convention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Namtab posted:

Fun times at the madoka convention

• Locked thread