Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Isn't it literally impossible for an unranked to get ranked higher than like LEM even if you win straight ten matches? It sounds like something is hosed with your internal rank dude. Have you ever had a silver/gold nova game? that's something you should have had at least once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
My first unranked game was mg1-mge I recall

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
The highest rank I've heard people getting after 10 wins (and I mean 10 straight wins) is like LEM, but that was before the big ban waves. Maybe it's a lot easier now?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Jeza posted:

I dunno why this is happening to you, but it sure is funny. Kicked counts as a loss, yes. Unclear on what level of loss though. Sounds like your rank is bugged out or something, no way does unranked ever get matched solo queue with sup/global, especially after losing lots of games. I've never even seen it outside of 5 man stacks.

I've seen it happen once before but only once. It was a DMG/Eagle game and one guy on my team was crouch walking everywhere and legitimately had no idea what he was doing. I finally got frustrated and asked him what was up and he told me it was his first week of playing CS ever. There's probably a bug where your rank goes bonkers for your opening games for some reason.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

dex_sda posted:

Isn't it literally impossible for an unranked to get ranked higher than like LEM even if you win straight ten matches? It sounds like something is hosed with your internal rank dude. Have you ever had a silver/gold nova game? that's something you should have had at least once.

Pretty sure I saw either f0rest or friberg rank a smurf to GE on stream

BryzNasty
Jun 18, 2015
Hows everyones league seasons? My team is doing better in ESEA-O than CEVO-IM ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://play.esea.net/teams/102161
http://cevo.com/event/cs-globaloffensive/roster/329152/

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007
I wish there was some more info out there about the ESL league (or that it was easier to find), 250k on the line and I don't know how many total games get played, which teams still have a chance to make the playoffs, which matches today could have some impact, etc. I'm sure they talk about it on the stream but I just want like a written recap that will just quickly tell me what's going on.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Carol Pizzamom posted:

My first unranked game was mg1-mge I recall

mine was SEM-GN1 or something in that area. I dropped a lot of 40+ bombs and quickly settled to GN4, where I stayed until 20 wins.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Pretty sure I saw either f0rest or friberg rank a smurf to GE on stream

huh. I mean dropping 60+ bombs and 15 MVP stars could do it and the pros can probably do that at will below SMFC. Still, I think that doesn't apply here at all.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Also depends on round wins and which direction the teams were stacked in

BryzNasty
Jun 18, 2015

real dilemma posted:

I wish there was some more info out there about the ESL league (or that it was easier to find), 250k on the line and I don't know how many total games get played, which teams still have a chance to make the playoffs, which matches today could have some impact, etc. I'm sure they talk about it on the stream but I just want like a written recap that will just quickly tell me what's going on.

The NA ESL league? This explains most of it.

https://play.esea.net/index.php?s=news&d=comments&id=14546

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

dex_sda posted:

huh. I mean dropping 60+ bombs and 15 MVP stars could do it and the pros can probably do that at will below SMFC. Still, I think that doesn't apply here at all.

If you've done well it'll adjust your rank upwards after every cooldown, and if you've won most or all of your matches, your last few unranked games would probably be against SMFCs and GEs, so you'd probably not need to drop any 60 bombs to get there so long as you've consistently trounced the opposition

e: it probably helps if the smurf is playing in GE premades from the onset

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
iirc solo queue you can't even get global until you have 35 wins and your maximum first rank is LEM. It wasn't always like that, though. The only way unranked players can play with globals is in a stack, although it's possible I suppose for an unranked player with like 8-9 straight wins to be playing with a game where average team rank is LEM.

How badly did your first game go buck? My current theory is it went so badly that your elo bust straight through the floor and out the other side. That or ranks work upside down in Oz, which sounds plausible.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
Some of my unranked games were wonky like that. Its like matchmaking shits the bed when you have no rank compared to low rank.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

BryzNasty posted:

Hows everyones league seasons? My team is doing better in ESEA-O than CEVO-IM ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://play.esea.net/teams/102161
http://cevo.com/event/cs-globaloffensive/roster/329152/

my team must win our match tonight to stay at .500 and keep our cevo-m spot =[

we thought we had a playoff shot before they released the info, but its the top 8, not 16 teams.

BryzNasty
Jun 18, 2015

Sitting Bull posted:

we thought we had a playoff shot before they released the info, but its the top 8, not 16 teams.

drat dude, good luck!

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

BryzNasty posted:

drat dude, good luck!

thanks pal =]

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
I gotta win my Duck Game-invite match tonight or Systane will push me to the ground and Prost will laugh at me

Fuckin bullies

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Sitting Bull posted:

You can do it!

Man, the more I play, the more keen I become on the idea of having a proper team to do leagues and such with. I have one likeminded and equally tryhardy friend who I used to play clanbase 1.6 with, but actually making the effort to find 3 more regulars, likely a decade younger than us, is not the most alluring prospect- and since we're so limited on hours in CS:GO, I can't imagine any moderately decent squad would bother to take us in. Think I'm gonna try to keep shaking the ring rust until after summer, then see how I feel about it once work slows down again.

e: gosh, another video on how underrated the sg553 is. Just gonna leave this link right here. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS6QsnCz61o

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 18, 2015

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Are most people playing 4:3 stretched? is it a significant advantage?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

prom candy posted:

Player models are wider, easier to aim at.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

prom candy posted:

Makes heads big and the people short and fat. Definitely worth it.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

mcvey posted:

I gotta win my Duck Game-invite match tonight or Systane will push me to the ground and Prost will laugh at me

Fuckin bullies

*quacks over your dead body*

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
4:3 is good if you have used it since 1.6. I played 1.6, but didn't play seriously until source, so I'm more used to 16:9, which is what I use.

When I use stretched the feeling of lateral movement being faster screws up my aiming pretty badly.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
protip: use a res that isn't fugly

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I played quite a bit of source but I was still on 4:3 back then. I'm better at GO than I ever was at source anyway, the resources to learn the game didn't exist back then like they do now. I don't know how anyone learned anything before YouTube.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Smol posted:

I gotta check out if CSGO has a Finnish translation some day. I'm sure the rank names are hilarious as well.
It does. Dunno about the rank names but a friend was using the ingame location names as callouts at some point and we had some fun times wondering what the hell he was talking about.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Jeza posted:

protip: use a res that isn't fugly

I've just been using that on my laptop this week as I'm without my full rig.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
I got to LEM on one of my accounts pre-ban waves. It wasn't even 10 wins in a row. I think I won like the first 6 or 7 games then had 3 losses by the time I hit 10 wins.

However, my first 3 games I duo'd with an eagle, so I imagine that got my elo higher at the start.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

prom candy posted:

Watching dreamhack vods from the past weekend and most pro's use 4:3 with black bars from what I could tell. Then again most have been at a high level of play since 1.6 and don't fix whats not broke is likely their mindset.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I just gave it a whirl in headshot only DM, didn't notice much of a difference to be honest. The muscle memory is a bit weird with horizontal moving faster than vertical but I don't have a lot of muscle memory right now anyway since I just changed all my mouse settings last weekend again. I think I might just stick with 16:9 so I can play in borderless window and easily read poo poo on my other screen when I'm dead.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

prom candy posted:

I just gave it a whirl in headshot only DM, didn't notice much of a difference to be honest. The muscle memory is a bit weird with horizontal moving faster than vertical but I don't have a lot of muscle memory right now anyway since I just changed all my mouse settings last weekend again. I think I might just stick with 16:9 so I can play in borderless window and easily read poo poo on my other screen when I'm dead.

You may notice FPS drops and weird issues using borderless window mode. I can swear even when not getting FPS issues detection is worse in borderless.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Bohemian Nights posted:

You can do it!

Man, the more I play, the more keen I become on the idea of having a proper team to do leagues and such with. I have one likeminded and equally tryhardy friend who I used to play clanbase 1.6 with, but actually making the effort to find 3 more regulars, likely a decade younger than us, is not the most alluring prospect- and since we're so limited on hours in CS:GO, I can't imagine any moderately decent squad would bother to take us in. Think I'm gonna try to keep shaking the ring rust until after summer, then see how I feel about it once work slows down again.

e: gosh, another video on how underrated the sg553 is. Just gonna leave this link right here. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS6QsnCz61o

I never use the sg553, ever, but I do agree it's an amazing tapper. Still, its price means a pro player will probably only swap out an ak for it if they both have spent a lot of time practicing with it (This is a downside, its another gun to learn), and plan to do a lot of tapping, and have more than, say, 7k or really don't expect to be ecoing int he future

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Alighieri posted:

Watching dreamhack vods from the past weekend and most pro's use 4:3 with black bars from what I could tell. Then again most have been at a high level of play since 1.6 and don't fix whats not broke is likely their mindset.

If you want the radar closer to the center of the screen you can actually put it in a 4:3 spot while staying at 1080p. The only benefit to 4:3 is maybe less distraction from the sides of the screen if you think that's a thing and better FPS. I looked at 16:9 and 4:3 resolutions side by side and player models/heads/whatever are the same size on screen unless stretched.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Alighieri posted:

You may notice FPS drops and weird issues using borderless window mode. I can swear even when not getting FPS issues detection is worse in borderless.

Hit detection? Like shots are less likely to register properly in borderless window?

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Has anyone been having really lovely lag problems since the last update? I pretty much lose every single fight that revolves around corners because people will just pop out about 5 feet away from it whenever they peek.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

prom candy posted:

Hit detection? Like shots are less likely to register properly in borderless window?

It could be placebo effect, but that is what sometimes seems to be the case.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Carol Pizzamom posted:

Still, its price means a pro player will probably only swap out an ak for it if they both have spent a lot of time practicing with it

And very few aside from maybe NKB (who still only barely buys it) have spent that time, I think. I totally understand why, though. If I had invested five thousand+ hours using and mastering the AK, especially with it being as good and versatile as it is, there's no way I'd even consider the sg as an alternative, lest you end up like Maikelelele on mirage

If you also consider the difference in cost and how differently the two weapons act, I guess maybe you have to main the sg to be as efficient with it as you can be with the ak, and perhaps that simply isn't worth it in the long run for someone who plays the percentages to be as good at cs as possible- and while admitting that my ship has sailed for ever reaching anywhere near those levels, I have at the very least been repeatedly reassured by the fact that supremes and now GE's die to it as easily and weirdly as any other rank when clicked on the head from across the map

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 18, 2015

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006

Danyull posted:

Has anyone been having really lovely lag problems since the last update? I pretty much lose every single fight that revolves around corners because people will just pop out about 5 feet away from it whenever they peek.

I've been hearing complaints like this from all sorts of people so who knows when it comes to valve and its red headed step child that is csgo.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Another thing to consider is that time spent mastering the SG is time not spent mastering the rifle that you're likely to pick up if you get a kill on an eco round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010

Apogee15 posted:

I do miss playing on community servers. But it was a very different experience. When I played on community servers it wasn't regular cs on a normal cs map. It was Gungame or minigames or ScoutzKnivez or RPG/WC3mod. But it was a lot of fun to have that community of players you know. You'd form little clans and have little scrims in ScoutzKnivez.

The only time I played actual competitive cs was on ESEA or jumping in to mIRC to setup a scrim with another team when I was competing in CAL.

It's definitely changed the game. Now I never play community servers. They killed Scoutzknivez for me with the change from css to cs:go(even now it's poo poo imo, though some people like it). Gungame can be fun sometimes, but I just can't get in to it like I did in css. If it weren't for competitive MMing I would have quit cs:go.

The game hasn't changed as much as you think it has. Community servers are still really popular in terms of number of people playing. For example, there are a few thousand people surfing in CSGO right now. It's just that the number of people playing on official servers has exploded, dwarfing the community server community, so the percentage of people playing on community servers has gone down. Of course, you see a lot fewer people playing on some community server types like gungame and deathmatch and of course competitive because of the official versions available, but there's still tons of creativity happening in the CSGO modding scene.

Source: the warcraft 3 CSGO server I helped start and code for.

• Locked thread