Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

KodiakRS posted:

My first solo landing was great. My second solo landing was pretty bad. My third one was even worse, although that's probably because it happened about 2.5 seconds after my second.

Haha, not a pilot but this made me properly belly laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Could be worse. My first solo landing was pretty good (and the second, etc.) but my 2 short field landings on my checkride were poo poo, due to the previously-mentioned "second landing happening a few seconds after the first." Partial re-test time!

That was just for my recreational pilot permit, though; the PPL checkride went perfectly.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
So - I now can say that I belong to both sides of "AOPA"

I just bought an airplane.

If anybody would like me to make a serious :effort: post I would be glad to oblige.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Captain Apollo posted:

If anybody would like me to make a serious :effort: post I would be glad to oblige.

I would like this; please tell us more.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Captain Apollo posted:

So - I now can say that I belong to both sides of "AOPA"

:justpost:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Former airline coworker used to be a militant "hold the line, vote no, stop the whipsaw!" type. Today he posts pictures of captain epaulets, he jumped ship to TSA with their direct entry captain program (they underbid and got some of "our" jets and their business plan depends on our pilots jumping ship or else they won't be able to staff their flying). Congratulations all around over his "accomplishment".

This industry, ugh...

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Aviation Megathread | "Pilots don't screw flight attendants, they screw each other"

Captain Apollo posted:

Good luck, and may god have mercy on your soul. In all seriousness please post about how this goes. It's something i'd like to do some day.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
I also just bought an airplane and am not going to make you wait like Apollo.

1969 Cherokee 180.
~4000 TTAF
~640 SMOH
Electric trim
Stec 50 autopilot slaved to NAV1
GEM 602 engine monitor
digital tach
Stromscope
30k CAD split two ways in a partnership.

Flew out and got it on Saturday. Managed to get VFR conditions across 3 provinces and 1 state. Just under 800 nm in 8 hours with a nasty headwind most of the way.
My first time behind the wheel was a 4 hour leg between Fredricton and Cornwall.

Here is my partner and I with our ferry pilot somewhere over New Brunswick.

More pictures here.
http://imgur.com/a/j1Ykt

Jazzahn
Jul 3, 2007

Did you just say awesome?
Looks great Helno, welcome to the Cherokee club!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I really hope to be an airplane owner in the next 5 years or so.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

helno posted:

Here is my partner and I with our ferry pilot somewhere over New Brunswick.

"Betty Ford Clinic" is pro pilot-hat for sure!

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004

helno posted:

I also just bought an airplane and am not going to make you wait like Apollo.

30k CAD split two ways in a partnership.

Very cool. What are your recurring costs to run it? What does the hourly rate work out as?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Burns around 9.5 gallons and hour. Insurance is $1400 a year.

It probably wont beat the hourly price of our current flying club but it is faster and can carry more stuff. More importantly it is at our home airport and readily available.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

helno posted:

More importantly it is at our home airport and readily available.

And it's your loving airplane.

Congrats, seems like you picked a good one.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rolo posted:

And it's your loving airplane.

This must be awkward if you instruct with it.

"My airplane"
"No it's loving mine
Your controls your voice"

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
You should because that's hilarious.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

This must be awkward if you instruct with it.

"My airplane"
"No it's loving mine
Your controls your voice"

What am I missing here? Is "my airplane" the US equivalent of "I have control" or am I missing something else entirely?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

What am I missing here? Is "my airplane" the US equivalent of "I have control" or am I missing something else entirely?

Yes.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I have zero idea what this kid is saying, but she's having a hell of a good time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSWDW18ygaw

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Tide posted:

I have zero idea what this kid is saying, but she's having a hell of a good time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSWDW18ygaw

If that doesn't bring a smile to your face, you are cold and dead.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

The Locator posted:

If that doesn't bring a smile to your face, you are cold and dead.

I clicked on the link because you said that and I was feeling kind of dead and cold, and now I have a huge grin on my face. :unsmith:

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Hi, I'm currently working on getting a private pilot's license. Just a few questions:

1. Headsets--my instructor says at some point I'm probably going to want my own headset. Given the condition of the rental headsets, he's probably right. What's a reasonable price for a headset for a student pilot? Any particular recommendations? I've heard the big brands are David Clarke, Bose and Sennheiser, but I'm wondering if there is some important difference between the three. I have a couple pairs of Sennheiser headphones I like a lot but I imagine there's a world of difference between headphones for your iPod and headsets for your airplane.

2. My job starts in a month, and so I kind of doubt I'll be able to complete the PPL before it starts. Particularly with how icky Virginia's weather is being at the moment. Is it hard to complete if you're only flying on weekends?

3. My FAR | AIM book is rather thick...and boring. How much of that is any pilot actually expected to know or remember?

Thanks!

I loved my first couple lessons and am very excited to learn more about flying. :)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Hauldren Collider posted:

Hi, I'm currently working on getting a private pilot's license. Just a few questions:

1. Headsets--my instructor says at some point I'm probably going to want my own headset. Given the condition of the rental headsets, he's probably right. What's a reasonable price for a headset for a student pilot? Any particular recommendations? I've heard the big brands are David Clarke, Bose and Sennheiser, but I'm wondering if there is some important difference between the three. I have a couple pairs of Sennheiser headphones I like a lot but I imagine there's a world of difference between headphones for your iPod and headsets for your airplane.

2. My job starts in a month, and so I kind of doubt I'll be able to complete the PPL before it starts. Particularly with how icky Virginia's weather is being at the moment. Is it hard to complete if you're only flying on weekends?

3. My FAR | AIM book is rather thick...and boring. How much of that is any pilot actually expected to know or remember?

Thanks!

I loved my first couple lessons and am very excited to learn more about flying. :)

1. It depends how much you want to spend. Unless you think there's a chance you'll get bored and give up, you might as well just buy what you want the first time. David Clarks are good, but if you don't mind the price, go with noise-cancelling Bose because they're the poo poo and you will be happier with them -- I've flown with both.

2. It will take longer to complete and thus be more expensive because you will forget more between lessons, and that's without the possibility of the weather being poo poo for an entire weekend. it's not the end of the world, though, and I wouldn't say it's necessarily any more difficult. The more time you can get in uninterrupted, the better off you'll be (you'll lose more ground, so to speak, if you have large gaps earlier in your training rather than later -- at least that was my experience). In the long run, it will absolutely not matter, and frankly I have some serious reservations about the idea that you can or should get a PPL in a single month, even if it's technically possible. It's like cramming for a test; it works in the short term, but you will not retain what you've learned as well in the long run unless you make sure to practice. Other people feel differently on this subject, and I am biased because I spread my training out quite a bit for various reasons.

3. If it's like the Canadian equivalent, you'll be expected to be familiar with the parts that pertain to whatever you're doing, and the important parts will be covered in ground school. You certainly don't need to memorize it front-to-back or anything like that, and there are certain parts of it that will presumably not matter to you at all until you get additional licenses or endorsements.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Caveat: I am not a flight instructor!

1) $100 for a cheap one, a few hundred for a nicer one (i.e. Dave Clark), up to about a thousand for a fancy one (Bose with active noise reduction).

2) Everybody's different, learns at different rates, and retains skills differently. Flying every weekend will probably be slower than if you were flying 3-4 times per week or more. You'll have to spend a little time remembering what you learned last flight instead of learning new things; the longer between flights the more this becomes a factor.

3) Only selected parts of the FAR are really important to you as a private pilot (primarily part 91), and while practically all of the AIM is good knowledge to have, you can probably focus on stuff that pertains to VFR operations first, so most of chapters 2, 3, and 4, and the parts of chapter 5 that aren't specifically geared towards IFR stuff (mostly sections 1, 2, and 5).

Edit: getting a PPL in a month is possible, if you do nothing else, have good weather, a good instructor, and have a nonzero amount of talent. It's the most shameless of horn-tooting but I did it in like 24 days, although to get there I was flying on average 5 days a week, 2 flights a day, and showed up to the checkride with 40.2 hours in my book.

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 19, 2015

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Thanks! The particular headset I am interested in at the moment is this guy, but I'm gonna take a few more flights before I decide.
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-S1-PASSIVE-Pilot-Headset/dp/B008BXB76Y/

I just realized I have another question: the E6B. My dad has one of the metal sliderules from when he flew back in the early 80s. He was absolutely shocked that people not only still made them, but used them. And that they are exactly the same. How useful are they really? Seems to me they're just there for the FAA exam. Do people actually screw with those things in flight with any regularity?

overdesigned posted:

Edit: getting a PPL in a month is possible, if you do nothing else, have good weather, a good instructor, and have a nonzero amount of talent. It's the most shameless of horn-tooting but I did it in like 24 days, although to get there I was flying on average 5 days a week, 2 flights a day, and showed up to the checkride with 40.2 hours in my book.

24 days? That's pretty cool! :)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Thanks! The particular headset I am interested in at the moment is this guy, but I'm gonna take a few more flights before I decide.
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-S1-PASSIVE-Pilot-Headset/dp/B008BXB76Y/

I just realized I have another question: the E6B. My dad has one of the metal sliderules from when he flew back in the early 80s. He was absolutely shocked that people not only still made them, but used them. And that they are exactly the same. How useful are they really? Seems to me they're just there for the FAA exam. Do people actually screw with those things in flight with any regularity?

I haven't flown in a while, but when I did, E6Bs were most certainly still used. Why would you be motivated to use something else?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I personally never used a sliderule E6B, I used a sporty's "electronic E6B" pretty much until the private pilot checkride, I don't think I ever used an E6B after that again, just my cell phone E6B app at very rare times while teaching or checking a student's flight plan (which you could usually eyeball the errors really fast, anyway.) Carry lots of batteries in case the DPE gives you poo poo, but i think most of them are pretty hip now to the iPad/electronics game. It's a changing world we're in and it's important to have the fundamentals but also to be able to fly with tech.
That headset is not a very common one so I don't know anything about it. You missed one of the major brands, Lightspeed, they are pretty legendary for customer service, make really good headsets, and although they hold their resale value well, you can easily pick up a really good used Zulu 1 or Sierra with ANR for $400-450. I've used Lightspeed headsets for 1470 hours or so and they are great and beat most of the other headsets I've tried, with the exception of the Bose A20 which I would put on about the same level but it's outside of your budget. My zulus start hurting my head after about 6-7 hrs, but other headsets in the past I had it was closer to 2 hours. I may be switching to a uflymic combo soon or clarity aloft or Qt halo just for the long days of wearing em and less demand for noise cancelling. That sennheiser may be good, they're just a bit newer to the aviation headset game for GA, Lightspeed, Bose and David Clark dominate the market so it's hard to find out good or bad on the sennheisers.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

I've used a QT Halo headset for several years and I don't think I'll ever go back to an over/around-the-ear design again. The in-ear, light frame design is just too damned comfortable. The passive noise reduction is plenty for flying around in little Cessnas or whatever, and sunglasses or regular glasses fit over them no problem. Plus, if you fly in a warm climate (I'm in South Texas), not having your head and ears insulated so much really helps with comfort. I love them.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I'm so torn between an in ear headset like that or clarity aloft and an on ear headset like the DC Pro X for my next headset.

In ear just looks so drat comfy, but then I think about long trans con flights in the past as a passenger, wearing earbuds for hours on end and how uncomfortable/weird my ears feel towards the end and have second thoughts.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
For me it's preferable to the alternative of external ear pain, heat retention, and the clamping force of the headband. But folks are VERY particular about their ears and preference varies greatly.

I use an in-ear headset all day at work so I'm used to it. It's not as comfortable as wearing NOTHING on my ears, but it's comfortable enough for me.

My ears aren't sore after a day of work or a day of flying and that's worth a lot.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

New drone and cargo crew rest bills were introduced yesterday in the Senate.

I once bought an electronic E6B. The thing worked for a year before crapping out. Your mileage may vary.

PT6A posted:

Weight makes a huge, huge difference for performance for every aircraft, and every pilot should figure that out through observation no later than their first solo.

I remember asking this before my first solo in a 152. I also asked if a 172 handled differently with a backseat passenger when my mom went along on one of my instrument lessons.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
The drone bill is pretty laughable. It basically mandates transponders and collision avoidance for all drones, even hobby/recreational drones, unless those drones are operated "in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization." That last part is so vague it hurts. It'll either make the law unenforceable or it'll mean anyone flying a drone anywhere that's not a officially-sanctioned (by who? the bill doesn't say) model airplane field gets fined.

It also mandates upgrading all currently owned personal drones to be brought in line with those standards, so I guess everyone in America has to mail their poo poo to China and have them install transponders and stuff. Or something.

Also the FAA has to develop a system where they can tell if any of these drones have been tampered with to break any of the rules mandated in the bill.

Also all of this has to happen within 18 months.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Regarding headsets, my instructor says I shouldn't go with active noise cancellation because he thinks as a student pilot I need to be able to hear the engine respond to the throttle. Should I still spring for active cancellation if I'm willing to pay the money and just leave it off? Seems like a waste to me.

Regarding the drones, they should really have some sort of altitude ceiling so that stuff like a 2-inch RC helicopter doesn't count.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Regarding headsets, my instructor says I shouldn't go with active noise cancellation because he thinks as a student pilot I need to be able to hear the engine respond to the throttle. Should I still spring for active cancellation if I'm willing to pay the money and just leave it off? Seems like a waste to me.

Regarding the drones, they should really have some sort of altitude ceiling so that stuff like a 2-inch RC helicopter doesn't count.

I think that all ANR headsets still work just fine with ANR turned off. edit: nm I see you already said that. If you want ANR later and can afford it now, then go for it. Leave it off until you are comfortable enough to lose some of the sound cues of the engine.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

DNova posted:

I think that all ANR headsets still work just fine with ANR turned off. edit: nm I see you already said that. If you want ANR later and can afford it now, then go for it. Leave it off until you are comfortable enough to lose some of the sound cues of the engine.

This. Regardless of the ANR, my Bose headset is the only headset I've ever owned that doesn't make my head hurt after 2 hours of wearing it. Plus my ANR doesn't take the engine noise out of the equation, it just takes some of the hum volume out. I can still hear pitch changes in the engine just fine, and would hear problems no sweat.

As for drone talk (woo!), I got my first call from ATC yesterday that someone was flying a drone in the practice area pretty high up. Requiring a transponder makes me roll my eyes, but maybe just have a small, more detailed, list of regulations, places and times to not use a drone? Like maybe just put a small amount of effort into thinking about what really is feasible?

Rolo fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 19, 2015

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Drone "pilots" won't adhere to them.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Is it time for guns on propeller airplanes again?

Drone Hunter Air Force

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Rolo posted:

This. Regardless of the ANR, my Bose headset is the only headset I've ever owned that doesn't make my head hurt after 2 hours of wearing it. Plus my ANR doesn't take the engine noise out of the equation, it just takes some of the hum volume out. I can still hear pitch changes in the engine just fine, and would hear problems no sweat.

As for drone talk (woo!), I got my first call from ATC yesterday that someone was flying a drone in the practice area pretty high up. Requiring a transponder makes me roll my eyes, but maybe just have a small, more detailed, list of regulations, places and times to not use a drone? Like maybe just put a small amount of effort into thinking about what really is feasible?

What are you really asking?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

The Ferret King posted:

What are you really asking?

I'm not really sure, it was just sort of a ramble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
The current hobby drone "guidelines" from the AMA/FAA are actually pretty good--don't fly above 400'AGL, don't fly within 5mi of towered airports without asking tower, don't fly beyond visual range of the operator, don't fly where failure of the drone could injure bystanders. You could make an okay case for good first-person-video equipped drones to be able to fly beyond visual range, but eh, whatever.

The problem is that, as mentioned, people don't follow them because there's no enforcement. So I don't know what the real solution is. Demanding all manufacturers refit their drones with transponders at their expense within 18 months isn't it, but neither is doing nothing.

• Locked thread