Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

captainOrbital posted:

What about Laura Howard or Olivia Colman or Jessica Hynes?

Olivia Colman would totally rock it, with the right co-stars.

She's an incredible actress who can make a good script sparkle.

She's also naturally very entertaining and I can see her bouncing off others in a non-scripted scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3UILZXmyNI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

cloudchamber posted:

Chris Evans radio show gets about ten million listeners, there's no way a show he fronts is going to be a ratings disaster.

Wasn't he already being paid significantly more than james / Hammond, just for the radio show? I never understood that.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Did I just see Serious Gaylord in AI? Hi there!

ukle posted:

Also he confirmed today that one of his co-presenters is a Woman - so that's either Suzy Perry and Jodi Kidd then as expected. Big question is who is the third.

FFS, they really are going for the "Gotta have a woman for !!REASONS!!" thing. This really will be another Fifth Gear.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Assuming Clarkson and the guys get their own show, how can they make it not a TG clone.

How is the BBC about being ripped off?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Ginger will get £5M to host TG for 3 years

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jun/17/top-gearchris-evans-bbc-pay-radio-2-graham-norton

Let's hope the Beeb has a get-out clause in that deal, else they're going to be pissed when the ratings are scraping along for the second season and they have a programme that no-one wants to buy.

And it doesn't look good for the third member:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33162666

quote:

He told the BBC's One Show anyone from around the world with "a real appetite for cars" was welcome to apply, whether they were "famous people" or not.

"If you're up for it, we want to hear from you," the Radio 2 DJ added.

Evans, announced as Jeremy Clarkson's replacement on Tuesday, earlier said the show would star at least one woman, chosen not "for the sake of it" but because of their passion for cars.

He added: "You've got to know something about cars - you can be a mechanic, you can be an amateur racing driver, you can be a guy who's a fireman but has been building his own Land Rover in his shed for five or 10 years... but you've got to know about cars."

Evans said the hosts could be "male, female, young or old, it doesn't matter" and suggested the three-host format would not necessarily return.

"Will we have one host, two hosts, three hosts - will we have hosts who come and go depending what's on the programme that night?" he said, adding that motoring journalists from newspapers or magazines may be suitable hosts.

Audition tapes from as far away as Kazakhstan had already been received, Evans revealed.

But at least a show made famous with three people is going to continue with the three person format: 1) Chris Evans, 2) Lt Uhura and 3) Chris Evans' ego.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

hell put william shatner on there his ego is certainly big enough

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

^^ I've been saying that since TGUS was first announced.

Him, Patrick Warburton, and Alton Brown :colbert:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

gently caress it, I'll host Top Gear. Where's my millions, BBC?

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Chris Evans, Jay Leno, and a guy who builds cars in his shed. I would definitely watch that.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot
Meanwhile...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Keldoclock posted:

Meanwhile...

I would watch the poo poo out of that

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Kingdom posted:

Assuming Clarkson and the guys get their own show, how can they make it not a TG clone.

How is the BBC about being ripped off?

Just call it GOP tear.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The thing about top gear is that it takes a monumentally long time to film too. Some people just wont have the time commitments to go off and spend 4 weeks doing a segment in South Africa or whatever.

I reckon Chris Evans will last one series before he jacks it in.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Bape Culture posted:

SAVE US IDRIS

No lie I would watch the poo poo out of Idris Elba hosted TG. Especially if he spins the music for the review segments live.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The one thing that can save Top Gear is if the other two hosts are total randoms.

[Chris Evans V/O]

Tonight on Top Gear. I take a look at alternative uses for camper vans. Reverend Richard Coles takes the new 458 Speciale round the 'Ring. And Kevin Bridges tries to buy insurance for his GSX-R 1000.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I would watch a top gear where all the hosts changed every week tbh.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That could actually work. Make it more like SNL with cars.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

serious gaylord posted:

The thing about top gear is that it takes a monumentally long time to film too. Some people just wont have the time commitments to go off and spend 4 weeks doing a segment in South Africa or whatever.

I reckon Chris Evans will last one series before he jacks it in.

I'm thinking whoever the other 2 presenters are end up doing more of the bigger stuff just with them maybe? I can't see how he'd keep doing his radio show while loving off somewhere for months to film for Top Gear

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Data Graham posted:

That could actually work. Make it more like SNL with cars.

That could seriously work, imho.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Apparently they're accepting applications from anyone. Can we get 13inch on the show please?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

HotCanadianChick posted:

No lie I would watch the poo poo out of Idris Elba hosted TG. Especially if he spins the music for the review segments live.

Idris Elba, Mike Brewer and Noel Fielding.

The other two would just run around chattering while Idris Elba shakes his head.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Get that Colin Furze guy to host since he's always inventing badass poo poo.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2015/06/17/oval office-to-replace-oval office/

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

bull3964 posted:

Colinfurze, the blond guy they already picked, and Matt Farah. Job done.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Colinfurze, the blond guy they already picked, and Matt Farah. Job done.

Switch Matt Farah for either 14 INCH or AvE, sold.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

captainOrbital posted:

Idris Elba, Mike Brewer and Noel Fielding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yaoiL5srGQ

4.23 - 5.25

Pish.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Andre Le Fuckface posted:

I'm thinking whoever the other 2 presenters are end up doing more of the bigger stuff just with them maybe? I can't see how he'd keep doing his radio show while loving off somewhere for months to film for Top Gear

Exactly. They're not going to let him keep the breakfast show if he's off 6 months of the year

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

OMG KIRSTEN SCHALL

spog
Aug 7, 2004

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33180779

quote:

On Thursday's radio show, Evans gave details of the audition process, which invites applicants to post a video on an as-yet-to-be-revealed website, from Friday, 19 June.

The videos must meet the following criteria.

• Applicants must be over 16.
• They should talk direct to camera.
• Videos should be shot "from the waist up".
• Cars should not feature in the video.
• No stunts.
• No gimmicks.

• Entrants must be knowledgeable about cars "because Top Gear has to have an authenticity".
• The video must be no longer than 30 seconds. "If it is, we won't watch it."

I don't think they quite get what made TG so special.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Sabine or gently caress off with the show.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Sabine or gently caress off with the show.

Why? Not very funny or charismatic and in the scheme of racing drivers, nothing special. I've wondered why people have constantly brought her up.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Because she gave Clarkson as good as she got from him.

Without Clarkson I doubt she'd be so entertaining.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

spog posted:

Its only a 30 second video. If it featured either of those things, it wouldn't show whether they could really present in front of a camera as there wouldn't be enough time. I seriously think they are looking to go down the route of having Evans be a studio 'anchor man' then 'specials' and features being done with various people so I could well see them hiring in many people even if some of them only appear in 1 or 2 bits a series.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
So its now come out that the BBC offered Clarkson his job back last week and he told them to get hosed.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

bull3964 posted:

I read this a Colin Firth... and I was taken by the idea but I'm not sure if he can be as self depreciating as needed. Same for Elba.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

spog posted:

I'm actually sick of road trips and old men falling over. I'm dreading the new hosts with a passion, but i'm also ready for a total top gear format refresh.

I want MPV tests again where they drive dadmobiles to duty-free alcohol and cheese shopping. I dont mind the stupid joke, i just hate expensive fast cars.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

IOwnCalculus posted:

Switch Matt Farah for either 14 INCH or AvE, sold.

And they need to bring Photonicinduction in for electric car reviews.

E: Actually I like this video better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUPSGvWr6xE

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

MattD1zzl3 posted:

i just hate expensive fast cars.

:frogout:

I mostly hope that the vacuum Top Gear produces will be filled by a diaspora of youtube or netflix based shows about cars, motorcycles, trucks, and road trips. The good poo poo is out there, it is just a question of finding it. Like our very own Becktastic's motoventuring series.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Keldoclock posted:

Like our very own Becktastic's motoventuring series.

Link plz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

88h88 posted:

Link plz.

Do you never read Cycle Asylum? It's just one click away from AI!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3560508