Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Bolow posted:

Is it just me or is the statistics screen completely hosed? I've been trying to keep track of how many games I played so I can see how far I'm away from the 49 game cutoff for that battleship but it's only showing me that's I've played 11 games. I'm drat near level 6 and almost Tier 4 in the US so I've played far more than that.

Even the external page is showing the same thing, plus only having killed 11 ships, which I know is completely wrong :psyduck:

You've been playing real battles and not bot battles, right? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

You've been playing real battles and not bot battles, right? :psyduck:

Yeah been playing random battle the entire time

EDIT: I actually can't even queue for Co-Op battles so I have no idea what the gently caress

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I don't get the Nagato haters, sure it has terrible AA but it looks awesome and has cool secondaries that will put a wall of fire between you and those pesky destroyers, even with my still in training captain.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

yomisei posted:

Too bad WoWS doesn't have replays yet. This battle was insane. Started off nearly getting destroyed by 5 ships chasing me after the initial rush, then blasting distracted enemies one by one until one carrier was left who even torped me down to 1k health. When I finally reached him one gun and torpedo salvo oneshotted him :unsmith:

Play more boats!

It does have replays, they just don't have a way to turn them on via the UI, because Wargaming.

It's in this thread in one of my earlier posts, I'll see if I can find it.

While I'm hunting for it, here's another invite code for someone to use.

F93KN-E84BD-74H8U-NMRUS

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Here it is:

The Locator posted:

Replays!

Goon in a division with me earlier did not know that replays are now enabled (no option in the menu), so I figured I would put this here. It's quite easy to turn replays on.

Find the "preferences.xml" file in the directory that you installed WoWS. Back it up. Using any text editor (i.e. Notepad) open the (non-backup) file.

Find the lines that looks like this (this will be very close to the end of the file):

code:
	</scriptsPreferences>
	<consoleHistory />
Paste the following before those two lines:

code:
		<isReplayEnabled>true</isReplayEnabled>
		<ReplayCameraUpdate>30</ReplayCameraUpdate>
So now it should look like:

code:
		<isReplayEnabled>true</isReplayEnabled>
		<ReplayCameraUpdate>30</ReplayCameraUpdate>
	</scriptsPreferences>
	<consoleHistory />
Save the file.

Start the game.

Replays will automatically go to a 'replays' folder which the game will create if it doesn't already exist.

To watch replays, exit the game, find the replay in your replay folder, and double click - you'll need to now tell Windows to use WorldOfWarships.exe to open this file type.

The replay will launch and you can watch yourself sink all over again!

yomisei
Mar 18, 2011

The Locator posted:

Here it is:

Cheers. Will travel back in time and post replay :smith:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Burno posted:

They have said all ammo will be limited eventually.

As far as hitting other boats use shift to toggle zoom and keep better awareness of the idiots around you.
This would actually make the game more interesting. Right now, there is zero penalty really for firing even low percentage shots and you should pretty much always be firing if you have something you can hit, even if you probably wont land a single hit. If they changed the shell characteristics a touch, and made it so you want to shoot HE at boats smaller than you and AP at same or larger boats, and you had to select an AP/HE shell mix, it could add another dimension.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

cheese posted:

This would actually make the game more interesting. Right now, there is zero penalty really for firing even low percentage shots and you should pretty much always be firing if you have something you can hit, even if you probably wont land a single hit. If they changed the shell characteristics a touch, and made it so you want to shoot HE at boats smaller than you and AP at same or larger boats, and you had to select an AP/HE shell mix, it could add another dimension.

Unfortunately I have a hard time believing Wargaming would limit ammo in a way that didn't hit small guns a lot harder than large guns :(

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Ammo should stay unlimited, but using any of it should incur a fixed rearmament cost at the end of the battle - with the exception of gold rounds purchased with gold. Those should need to be manually reloaded, or at the very least have a box that warns you if you set it to auto-resupply with gold still selected.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 18, 2015

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Beside torpedoes, wouldn't ships have enough ammo to fire non stop for an hour or so ?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Ammo should stay unlimited, but using any of it should incur a fixed rearmament cost at the end of the battle - with the exception of gold rounds purchased with gold. Those should need to be manually reloaded, or at the very least have a box that warns you if you set it to auto-resupply with gold still selected.

You do pay for ammo, check the experience and credits part of the post-game stats. It's negligible however, but we do have increased income with the closed beta.

Limited ammo is dumb, especially when everyone is travelling at several hundred miles per hour. Didn't most ships also have enough ammo to shoot for an hour or something? So it won't really matter at all?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Dunno-Lars posted:

You do pay for ammo, check the experience and credits part of the post-game stats. It's negligible however, but we do have increased income with the closed beta.

Limited ammo is dumb, especially when everyone is travelling at several hundred miles per hour. Didn't most ships also have enough ammo to shoot for an hour or something? So it won't really matter at all?
What? Also, we are already playing a game with plenty of nonsense changes made for gameplay improvement (unless you think the Iowa could eat an entire broadside of torpedo's and keep on chugging). You might not like limited ammo (does it ruin World of Tanks for you?) as one of those, but its certainly something they could consider.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Yeah but targeting in WoT is basically point and click. The only class of vehicle where hitting is an issue has a low RoF and high target acquisition time so you probably won't run out of ammo. Also most tanks in wot pack enough ammo that even if you just kept firing all match, you wouldn't run out.

Ammo there is mostly a strategic/cost aspect with regards to premium ammo.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ammo from guns should be unlimited
torps should be limited to an acceptable number for fights but not unlimited so you can spam the map.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Tanks ammo is in theory derived from how many rounds the tanks actually could carry. If the do the same in WoT, there is really no point in limited ammo at all, at least for the big guns.

Iowa class battleship 16" ammo:

quote:

10) There are conflicting accounts about the number of rounds that could be carried by the Iowa class. The following numbers are taken from notes and sketches made by a chief gunner's mate for USS Missouri BB-63 just before she was decommissioned in February 1955.

16-inch Projectiles:
Turret I: 387
Turret II: 456
Turret III: 367
Total: 1,210

From here: http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_16-50_mk7.htm

According to that same site, the Farragut had 560 rounds per 5" gun. They don't have any information on other ships from before the 1950's though.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
They are releasing patch 0.4.0 for "public test" (as in beta for a beta) for a few days.
http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/common/public-test-040/

Looks like Open Beta material.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

The Locator posted:

Tanks ammo is in theory derived from how many rounds the tanks actually could carry. If the do the same in WoT, there is really no point in limited ammo at all, at least for the big guns.

Iowa class battleship 16" ammo:

From here: http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_16-50_mk7.htm

According to that same site, the Farragut had 560 rounds per 5" gun. They don't have any information on other ships from before the 1950's though.

Most US cruiser turrets were designed to have ~150-200 rounds per gun.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I hope its not too soon im at 20 battles I want to kewp chugging.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Look at your distance traveled versus time next game, if I remember right battleships average something like 200 knots top speed once you take acceleration and turning into account.
For extra fun, airplane and torpedo speeds aren't in the same units as ship speeds (the slowest surface ship torpedo is faster than the fastest ship, but you could outrun them last I checked), ship sizes are way out of scale with everything else, and everything has varying (huge) degrees of vertical exaggeration.
Of course the weird scaling is necessary for it to be playable but there's no good reason to list torpedo, airplane and ship speeds in different units.

I'd rather just have meaningful shell costs than ammo limits.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I'd be ok with unlimited normal ammo with a limited amount of "gold" ammo.

James Garfield posted:

For extra fun, airplane and torpedo speeds aren't in the same units as ship speeds (the slowest surface ship torpedo is faster than the fastest ship, but you could outrun them last I checked)

Maybe the aerial torpedoes, but you're not going to out-run torpedoes fired from a ship.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Bolow posted:

Is it just me or is the statistics screen completely hosed? I've been trying to keep track of how many games I played so I can see how far I'm away from the 49 game cutoff for that battleship but it's only showing me that's I've played 11 games. I'm drat near level 6 and almost Tier 4 in the US so I've played far more than that.

Even the external page is showing the same thing, plus only having killed 11 ships, which I know is completely wrong :psyduck:
Doublecheck that you are on the correct tab. There are buttons for PvP and PvE in the upper right corner of the My Profile page on the website, on the same line as Statistics, Detailed Statistics, and Warships.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
F93KA-EW75B-PHHDV-5BGAV

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

Crash74 posted:

F93KA-EW75B-PHHDV-5BGAV

Thank you!!!! code used and works!

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
I have been waiting months to play this and now that I can I have no idea what is a good newbie ship to start. Help?

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
Anyone else having an issue accessing the client download?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

James Garfield posted:

Look at your distance traveled versus time next game, if I remember right battleships average something like 200 knots top speed once you take acceleration and turning into account.
For extra fun, airplane and torpedo speeds aren't in the same units as ship speeds (the slowest surface ship torpedo is faster than the fastest ship, but you could outrun them last I checked), ship sizes are way out of scale with everything else, and everything has varying (huge) degrees of vertical exaggeration.
Of course the weird scaling is necessary for it to be playable but there's no good reason to list torpedo, airplane and ship speeds in different units.

I'd rather just have meaningful shell costs than ammo limits.

Oh right, ya I got ya. A ship going 30 kmph doesn't take 20 minutes to close on a ship that is 10km away :D Shell costs seems like a bad fix as it just forces premium.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I have been waiting months to play this and now that I can I have no idea what is a good newbie ship to start. Help?

You only have two anyway. Just go for cruisers. Balanced and fun.
Everything else is meh.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Just keep in mind, the first couple cruisers on both trees kinda suck dick. It gets better. Although a fully upgraded st louis was fun for sheer number of guns.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

I've spent today wishing fellow players a happy ramadan which has led to some funny chats!

all the more funny too after a white dude went into a black church to murder people the day before.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

cheese posted:

Oh right, ya I got ya. A ship going 30 kmph doesn't take 20 minutes to close on a ship that is 10km away :D Shell costs seems like a bad fix as it just forces premium.

Except it does? I hope you're being sarcastic and I'm missing the joke.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

SoggyGravy posted:

Anyone else having an issue accessing the client download?

Close your broswer wait 5 min then click the link.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

orange juche posted:

Except it does? I hope you're being sarcastic and I'm missing the joke.
In real life it does. In game it takes only a few minutes.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

El Disco posted:

Maybe the aerial torpedoes, but you're not going to out-run torpedoes fired from a ship.
It's been a while since I last tried but you at least used to be able to outrun the low tier Japanese torpedoes (48 knots I think?) with a ~37 knot destroyer. I'm also pretty sure the 90 knot torpedo bombers on low tier carriers aren't three times as fast as battleships.

Doomsday Jesus posted:

St. Louis, Clemson, Kongo, any Japanese destroyer from tier 2-5 are solid choices depending on your interests. Avoid carriers unless you're set on them in particular.

cheese posted:

Shell costs seems like a bad fix as it just forces premium.
I was thinking of meaningful ammo costs with a high payoff for hitting something.
Bit of a moot point since wargaming wouldn't do that.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 19, 2015

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
How much better is the Aoba than the Furutaka?

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

tater_salad posted:

Close your broswer wait 5 min then click the link.

Thanks this worked! Now I will shoot ships.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

cheese posted:

In real life it does. In game it takes only a few minutes.

Well, ships in the game are not measured in km/h anyways, their speed is measured in knots.

35 kts is 64.82km/h, which means that you would close at a little over a kilometer per minute.

30km/h is 16.07 kts, which is painfully loving slow in this game.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
F93KP-VTX63-2GCRY-8ZEKY

Please quote when you take it.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

orange juche posted:

Well, ships in the game are not measured in km/h anyways, their speed is measured in knots.

35 kts is 64.82km/h, which means that you would close at a little over a kilometer per minute.

30km/h is 16.07 kts, which is painfully loving slow in this game.
Right, but my 35kts destroyer doing 64km/h is absolutely going much faster than that in game. That is still ~6 minutes to ram a target 10km away and we both know a destroyer going that speed gets there in like 60 seconds tops.

tl;dr Ships in game are definitely going faster than their paper speed.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
I just got into this beta a couple days ago. I've played maybe 8 games so far. Maybe. I just unlocked rank 3 I think? Something about daily missions. Also, I used a key that gave me 6 days of premium time and a (level 5?) Russian ship.

I just learned how to use the Shift key to zoom in and actually target poo poo. I also figured out how to watch my mini radar to see where my guns are pointing, and how long it will take them to point at what I'm looking at. Holy poo poo that made a difference. It also illustrates just how dumb I am at this game so far.

With that in mind, what kind of advice do you have for a newbie to this thing? Where should I be spending my ShipBux at? What should I be trying to do in battles? Is there some stupid newbie trap that I should avoid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

wdarkk posted:

How much better is the Aoba than the Furutaka?
Depends on what part of the Furutaka you're waiting for to get better. If armor, not at all. If firepower through faster reload speed, very yes.

If you wish turrets would actually spin (instead of crawl) towards where you aim, start playing US destroyers instead.