Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

This is why I kind of gave up on Superhero comics (at least ones from DC and Marvel) An editor or another writer from another book make some decision and a bunch of books only tangibly related to it have to do complete and obvious re-writes.

That and big event cross overs. I wanna read about Wonder Woman dammit, I don't need any of the Green Lanterns sticking their rear end into it.

Plus I will admit to being more of a DC guy (In that I like a lot more DC characters than Marvel Characters) And it seems like DC is trying SO GODDAMN HARD to recreate the 90s. Are their any Harley Quinn comics worth reading that aren't embarrassing? Or Wonder Woman After Gail Simone's run?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I was looking around when I saw this, and I'm somewhat worried some idiot/bastard is going to follow those steps and manipulate people.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Mraagvpeine posted:

I was looking around when I saw this, and I'm somewhat worried some idiot/bastard is going to follow those steps and manipulate people.

Haha nice trick, but I am not going to watch anything related to Game Theory.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wheat Loaf posted:

JMS Spidey is really good, but I'd say that's only true up to a point, and it's the point where JRJR stops pencilling it. JMS, after all, wrote Sins Past, and he was on board with breaking up Peter and MJ - he just thought it was a really stupid way to do it (apparently, his own idea was worse, but I don't know what it was so I won't say that it was or wasn't).

(I'd rather re-read J. M. DeMatteis Spidey (:swoon:) or Roger Stern Spidey (:syoon:) than JMS Spidey, I think, but that's neither here nor there.)

I'm not sure if OMD is worse than Identity Crisis. Probably about on par with it. They're both bad, but bad in different ways.

Erm, he later stated he'd have been happy writing Peter & MJ pretty much indefinitely, also he planned to have Peter be the father of Gwen's kids (still dumb, but less so) only to get shot down by Quesada, and also wanted to retcon Sins Past outright with OMD...only Quesada shot it down...again. Plus, JMS wanted his name off OMD. I think it's rather clear that JMS didn't want to break up the marriage but felt he had to go along with it.

I'd agree that everything after Book of Ezekiel kind of went down the crapper, although it rallied after Sins Past ad before Civil War, and then again with Back in Black.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

PassTheRemote posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BYUNJPbOBw

I love watching people rip apart this "Movie"

MikeJ's takedowns of those movies are pretty great. Did anyone else do one that are worth watching/reading?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Haha nice trick, but I am not going to watch anything related to Game Theory.

Game Theory is utter trash but the film theory stuff isn't that bad honestly. It's not good but it's not offensively awful either.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Todd is right about Jurassic World

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've been going back and watching the Month of Miyazaki retrospectives. Though I understand why you stopped where you did, JayO, I could honestly watch an entire series covering the whole Ghibli catalogue, these videos are that good. They are what got me interested in Miyazaki films in the first place (though my first experience with them was through Sage's Fireflies review), and I really am glad I gave them a look. Some of these films can melt the most cynical person's heart, and Joe Hisaishi is a loving music god.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mraagvpeine posted:

My brain melted a little when he said "Behavior is reinforced by rewarding good behavior and punishing bad behavior! THAT is a Direct Quote!"

From what? :psyduck:

yes I'm aware what it's from now, google told me

Tracula posted:

Game Theory is utter trash but the film theory stuff isn't that bad honestly. It's not good but it's not offensively awful either.

No, it's still awful. Just godawful.

He could have a decent show, there was a span of about a minute there where he was just playing a clip from the movie and talking about it and that one minute almost convinced me that he actually wanted to make a point, but then he said Buttplug! again and I realized that he doesn't give a rats rear end about the media he talks about or the ideas he's trying to speak on, he wants to Become YouTube Famous and will make as many dumb jokes, "hilarious" cheap photoshop animations, and stupidly over-reaching exaggerations as needed to keep himself YouTube Famous. The actual critical thinking stuff is secondary to trying to entertain thirteen year olds.

At least with film he's got a much larger pool of resources to draw from when making his "analysis" so he won't sound like as much of a dumbass for a while, compared to games where it seemed like the better part of his "analysis" was written by drudging up the darkest pits of GameFAQs.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it
So for as much as we bitch about people giving SF Debris terrible waste-of-time anime to review, he did a really kickass review of the Madoka Rebellion movie. The first half gets off to a rocky start with slightly bloated recap and a bunch of jokes that maybe don't work (and it ends with a homemade Heart AMV for some reason what), but the second half is packed with solid insight and in-depth explanations of the symbolism in the movie and a spot-on understanding of what it was trying to achieve. I'd definitely recommend watching this review if you're like most fans who saw that movie and were left with torrid feelings.

(My personal feelings were that aside from the movie maybe being too long, they did the absolute best job they could have possibly done with...an obvious cashgrab idea. It's solid work by a great writer who had to work with a premise that betrays the original thematic intent of the show he wrote, and he's been very honest about all that process. So that makes it a fascinating work of art and a cashgrab all at once! Yay.)

Jay O fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 18, 2015

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Speaking of SFDebris, his new Comics Retrospective has been released.

He rips Liefeld a new one.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Jay O posted:

So for as much as we bitch about people giving SF Debris terrible waste-of-time anime to review, he did a really kickass review of the Madoka Rebellion movie. The first half gets off to a rocky start with slightly bloated recap and a bunch of jokes that maybe don't work (and it ends with a homemade Heart AMV for some reason what), but the second half is packed with solid insight and in-depth explanations of the symbolism in the movie and a spot-on understanding of what it was trying to achieve. I'd definitely recommend watching this review if you're like most fans who saw that movie and were left with torrid feelings.

(My personal feelings were that aside from the movie maybe being too long, they did the absolute best job they could have possibly done with...an obvious cashgrab idea. It's solid work by a great writer who had to work with a premise that betrays the original thematic intent of the show he wrote, and he's been very honest about all that process. So that makes it a fascinating work of art and a cashgrab all at once! Yay.)

I thought the review was fairly good in the second part and not so much in the first as well. As for the themes, I tend to agree with the conclusion SF Debris came to that, while on its own Rebellion is good, it is entirely counterproductive with regards to the themes and message so elegantly conveyed by the initial series - but it could easily, with the addition of another (hopefully final) part once again come full circle and reassert the central thematic elements of the original, while expanding on the themes already there such as the discourse on selflessness versus selfishness and adding new elements of its own.

One of the main things Rebellion is - rightly - criticized for is that it is an unfinished story, or otherwise one constructed far different from the standard (and things usually become standard for a reason). It ends quite a bit before a traditional climax would occur, instead finishing with the characters at their lowest, in many ways. If Rebellion was a monomyth, the ending would be the death, the ordeal, which rather than being confronted and dealt with it simply stops. I still feel it is a good movie, one which acts more as an engrossing character study than anything else - and that is mostly how I enjoyed it really. But due to its construction, it has no recourse but to act as a thematic stumbling-block for the larger work, and for someone without interest in Homura's character, or simply someone very much wanting and expecting a good story, it doesn't really have that much to offer.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I've seen a decent amount of anime, but I will never understand why people watch movies that recap a show they've already seen with a few new things here and there.

I don't remember if Madoka: Rebellion is one of those, but just putting that out there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

I've seen a decent amount of anime, but I will never understand why people watch movies that recap a show they've already seen with a few new things here and there.

I don't remember if Madoka: Rebellion is one of those, but just putting that out there.

Rebellion is a sequel to the TV series. As for compilation movies, they're the show in condensed form. Not bad if you want a fast rewatch of a series you like with some added spectacle.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I probably wouldn't have watched Gurren Lagann if it weren't for the movies and boy am I glad that I did!

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
A reminder, Zero Punctuation is a poo poo critic with lovely views.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm not going to actually watch that, what did they give it?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Like all mediocre comics, Yahtzee lives in fear of a gang of PC feminazis crucifying him.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

He did make a good point at the end by basically saying that the people who bought it were all man-children doing it to prove a point.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Actually he's pretty much spot-on in this case :shrug:

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

What is so offensive about Hatred, anyway? From what I've seen, it's just dumb.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I'm not sure how I feel about him. On one hand, I'm not a fan of his humor or comedy. On the other hand, every now and then he does make a good point about the video games industry. Doesn't mean I agree with everything he says, but on occasion there are some topics that resonate with me.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

PiedPiper posted:

It's a really bad game but people pretend that it's good because they think SJWs get mad. It's pretty much gently caress You, Dad: The Game.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

ZP is usually entertaining enough for 5 minutes a week so whatever. Him and Gabe can also be super funny together but Yahtzee's determination to keep isolated from the community/news at large as he can and Gabe not really being a game guy result in some maaaaaasive loving foot in the mouth moments when they stray into serious industry poo poo.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

PiedPiper posted:

It's a game that exists solely to be offensive and people did get riled up about it being offensive which is exactly what it was meant to do (as Yahtzee said, see also: Postal). Nevermind that it is not any more offensive than Doom or Grand Theft Auto and is also a pretty poo poo game, he made the game to piss people off, and he succeeded. Cases like this should result in widespread indifference, not people getting riled up and giving morons the kind of attention they want and more ammo for their 'the SJWs are ruining everything' bullshit.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Cubey posted:

It's a game that exists solely to be offensive and people did get riled up about it being offensive which is exactly what it was meant to do (as Yahtzee said, see also: Postal). Nevermind that it is not any more offensive than Doom or Grand Theft Auto and is also a pretty poo poo game, he made the game to piss people off, and he succeeded. Cases like this should result in widespread indifference, not people getting riled up and giving morons the kind of attention they want and more ammo for their 'the SJWs are ruining everything' bullshit.

It's also a chance for games writers to trot out articles about how bad it is for easy views and patreon bux. So it's not just the neo nazis who created Hatred who get to make money off it

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

I don't understand. You actually liked this game?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

watho posted:

He did make a good point at the end by basically saying that the people who bought it were all man-children doing it to prove a point.

Oh so this is going to end with whatever gaggle of confused nerds are currently rampaging deciding he's become an agent of the Sarkeesian cultural marxists?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Oh so this is going to end with whatever gaggle of confused nerds are currently rampaging deciding he's become an agent of the Sarkeesian cultural marxists?

Given how harshly he criticized the game and the reason for its existence and the people who bought it, yeah probably.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Speaking of which, how much self serving vindication was there when her tweets concerning E3 came up? Like I disagree with some of them on the basis that violence is not mainly a masculine thing, but I don't think they do anything to harm her goals.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

You'll have to explain why you think it's poo poo because everything he said about the game and the controversy surrounding it was correct.'

Did you like this game? Or did you not think that this really lovely game was used as a platform for two sides to yell at each other and make easy money by writing clickbait articles, like Polygon, who tried to start a dumbass moral panic over its existence? Because that's the only way I can understand you finding the video bad.

Annointed posted:

Speaking of which, how much self serving vindication was there when her tweets concerning E3 came up? Like I disagree with some of them on the basis that violence is not mainly a masculine thing, but I don't think they do anything to harm her goals.

I'm not gonna lie, her tweets about E3 were pretty terrible. For example, calling people mentally disturbed for cheering at a trailer of Doom is just dumb on her part

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
My problem with the video is that it feels really toothless, as if Yahtzee’s gone out of his way to avoid saying anything that’ll piss of the shitlords too much, hence four minutes of gameplay complaints, capped off with one minute of “both sides are wrong” spiel. Its bad criticism, and bad comedy (almost all of the jokes feel phoned in), and the unfortunate coincidence that its release coincides with a high profile mass shooting highlights how facile the whole thing is.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Asuron posted:

I'm not gonna lie, her tweets about E3 were pretty terrible. For example, calling people mentally disturbed for cheering at a trailer of Doom is just dumb on her part

p sure somebody posted a comparison showing that those tweets were almost certainly posted by some McIntosh guy.

fake edit:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

High Warlord Zog posted:

My problem with the video is that it feels really toothless, as if Yahtzee’s gone out of his way to avoid saying anything that’ll piss of the shitlords too much, hence four minutes of gameplay complaints, capped off with one minute of “both sides are wrong” spiel. Its bad criticism, and bad comedy (almost all of the jokes feel phoned in), and the unfortunate coincidence that its release coincides with a high profile mass shooting highlights how facile the whole thing is.

So you're saying that he should be complaining about politics instead of focusing on the bad video game?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

DStecks posted:

p sure somebody posted a comparison showing that those tweets were almost certainly posted by some McIntosh guy.

fake edit:

I tend to just assume if the feminist frequency twitter says something insanely stupid it's McIntosh hiding behind a picture of Anita, because stuff directly from her tends to be fairly sensible.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

High Warlord Zog posted:

Did you watch a version with the part where he's making fun of the target audience cut out or what?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Seriously, just ignore that McIntosh guy. Anything he doesn't agree with is sick filth and the people who enjoy it are sickos perpetuating the downfall of decent society. Everything he says just comes off as attention seeking.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

As far as Yahtzee's toothlessness goes...well gee, look at who pays his wages, lol.

Really, it's a bit sad how irrelevant he's become tbh. My main thought whenever a Zero Punctuation vid comes down the pike is "Why in the poo poo are you STILL churning out poo poo exclusively for the Escapist, dude?".

hwordhan
Sep 27, 2012

Ask me about the taste of a video game character's breast milk!

Kim Justice posted:

it's a bit sad how irrelevant he's become tbh.
He's as irreleveant as ever :confused:
I mean his shtick got old really, really fast and it is not like he was a major authority to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

As far as Yahtzee's toothlessness goes...well gee, look at who pays his wages, lol.

Really, it's a bit sad how irrelevant he's become tbh. My main thought whenever a Zero Punctuation vid comes down the pike is "Why in the poo poo are you STILL churning out poo poo exclusively for the Escapist, dude?".

Because he's their only main source of income. Their youtube channel is just him and everyone else on their site is who tier. Plus there is the loyalty thing since he got to his position by the Escapist.

• Locked thread