Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
hey I heard you thought maybe the game was too slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elA4kE_lkiQ

also which one of you made this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Angelwolf posted:

I've heard Hard Reset is a pretty good Doom clone. Anyone played it?

E;
Wrack also

Nah Hard Reset is pretty bad.

Play like, Shadow Warrior, Bulletstorm, or Serious Sam if you want a "modern" Doom.

Or just play Doom..

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yes.

I don't know how you're okay with what he said anyway because the threat most of the time was dodging projectiles being spewed from the enemies (aren't demons/spectres the only melee enemy?).

Yeah, but one imp? Its projectile is slow as hell, easily avoidable, just plain not a threat. The threat comes from groups and placement.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The placement of enemies, yes, and most of those enemies are projectile enemies.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

An imp isn't going to kill you 1v1 but something like a Mancubus or Revevant can.

Also the guy you responded to said the game looks to be mostly slow moving melee enemies - the original games were mostly projectile throwing demons.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Like it shouldn't be controversial to say that kiting melee enemies is generally simpler than kiting+dodging projectile enemies

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Elliotw2 posted:

That's almost all because this is the second time they showed this game and it's still more than a year out. They probably only have the Revanants, imps, and Zombiemen/plasmamen as working enemies right now.

I think they said Q1 2016, so it's less than a year out.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Linguica posted:

Yeah, no. You think the player moves 840 units/sec when walking?

The player walks at about 8 units/tic. The absolute max the player can run (without wallrunning), using SR50, is ~23.3 units per tic.

That makes more sense. I don't understand the units but I know you couldn't move at more than twice the speed of a Lost Soul charging.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Zaphod42 posted:

Play like, Shadow Warrior, Bulletstorm, or Serious Sam if you want a "modern" Doom.

Or just play Doom..

I know everyone says that, but the argument really is 'if those modern games are doing what Doom did, why isn't the sequel to Doom doing it?

Also, I keep hearing familiar music in Reelism, but I can't place where I know it from :argh: Driving me nuts. I'd love to know the tracklist.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Angelwolf posted:

I've heard Hard Reset is a pretty good Doom clone. Anyone played it?

E;
Wrack also

Hard Reset isn't a Doom clone. It's mediocre but not intolerably so, and very pretty. I had an enjoyable few hours with it.

Wrack is a Doom clone and is pretty fun. Worth grabbing if it gets discounted on sale.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

A.o.D. posted:

hey I heard you thought maybe the game was too slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elA4kE_lkiQ

also which one of you made this?

It's sort of sad but this looks like a way better game to me :gbsmith:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Wrack is more of a Quake 2 clone than anything, and not a very good one. None of the weapons are satisfying, none of the enemies are interesting, none of the levels have anything going for them at all. Basically imagine a low budget FPS you would have found in a 1998 budget bin and voila, Wrack. At least it's short.

Hard Reset is even further from being a retro FPS and, while it's a lot more frustrating, it's at least occasionally fun. Its biggest issue is that all the enemies are way too spongey and about half the over-generous arsenal can be totally ignored, but you can see little flickers of the awesomeness that would later make its way into Shadow Warrior.

I have a hard time recommending either of them, honestly. Wrack is way too :geno: Hard Reset is way too :comeback:

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Gee you guys were right, Doom 4's weapons do sound terrible and wimpy. :v:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

DoombatINC posted:

Wrack is more of a Quake 2 clone than anything, and not a very good one. None of the weapons are satisfying, none of the enemies are interesting, none of the levels have anything going for them at all. Basically imagine a low budget FPS you would have found in a 1998 budget bin and voila, Wrack. At least it's short.

Hard Reset is even further from being a retro FPS and, while it's a lot more frustrating, it's at least occasionally fun. Its biggest issue is that all the enemies are way too spongey and about half the over-generous arsenal can be totally ignored, but you can see little flickers of the awesomeness that would later make its way into Shadow Warrior.

I have a hard time recommending either of them, honestly. Wrack is way too :geno: Hard Reset is way too :comeback:

Just wanted to 2nd the recommendation against Wrack. It tries to bill itself as a combo focused kill a thon but the enemies take too much damage and are too far apart. The levels are definitely sparse, mostly straight hallways with small rooms connecting them. So disappointed with that one. Also, for being composed by Bobby Prince, the music leaves alot to be desired.

I finally got to updating Reelism and just wanted to give props to the Kins even though it's been said many times :) If only I had a way to make it portable :allears:. I got a real kick out of the iReelism Slot and the Bloody Screen, So Real Slot :laffo:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

That's right, I totally forgot Wrack was combo-focused. The game has a system for building power by chaining kills, but the enemy density is so low that it's utterly pointless.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I know everyone says that, but the argument really is 'if those modern games are doing what Doom did, why isn't the sequel to Doom doing it?

What? I was replying to Heavy Reset, not Doom 4.

Of loving course Doom 4 should be doing what those other games did. We'll see how close it comes when its released, though. We're practically guessing at this point.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Icept posted:

It's sort of sad but this looks like a way better game to me :gbsmith:

edit: lmao the random wolfenstein clip

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 19, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

What? I was replying to Heavy Reset, not Doom 4.

Of loving course Doom 4 should be doing what those other games did. We'll see how close it comes when its released, though. We're practically guessing at this point.

Ah, sorry, my mistake! Read and replied way too quickly.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, I keep hearing familiar music in Reelism, but I can't place where I know it from :argh: Driving me nuts. I'd love to know the tracklist.
For what it's worth, most of the soundtrack is SNES SPC and Genesis VGM/VGZ files. If you have something that can play those (personally I use Winamp plugins: Alpha-II for SPCs, in_vgm.dll v0.40.5 for VGMs/VGZs), you can just look at their tags.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

Like it shouldn't be controversial to say that kiting melee enemies is generally simpler than kiting+dodging projectile enemies

See: Kleers. :v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

For what it's worth, most of the soundtrack is SNES SPC and Genesis VGM/VGZ files. If you have something that can play those (personally I use Winamp plugins: Alpha-II for SPCs, in_vgm.dll v0.40.5 for VGMs/VGZs), you can just look at their tags.

Well, it's one track that plays on 'Abridged'. It starts off with a little 'doot doot' synth, and feels like it's from a racing game. I recognize other tracks from that level (MM3's Top Man, Golden Axe's level 1 theme, etc), but I can't remember where I've heard this specific track before.

I'll look into seeing what I can do about playing those files.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

"Crazy Motorcycle" is my best guess.

Either that or this weird music from FrogNES (which is ironically actually on the SNES), but that's the stage-specific jackpot, so I imagine it's more likely "Crazy Motorcycle".

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

That's it, actually, thanks!

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Wamdoodle posted:

Just wanted to 2nd the recommendation against Wrack. It tries to bill itself as a combo focused kill a thon but the enemies take too much damage and are too far apart. The levels are definitely sparse, mostly straight hallways with small rooms connecting them. So disappointed with that one. Also, for being composed by Bobby Prince, the music leaves alot to be desired.
Seconding the music. When I heard the music in Wrack it surprised me how... forgettable it was. Prince must have really half-assed it. Like come on man, I know you can do better than this, you did the music for loving DOOM.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

arcsig posted:

Seconding the music. When I heard the music in Wrack it surprised me how... forgettable it was. Prince must have really half-assed it. Like come on man, I know you can do better than this, you did the music for loving DOOM.

The problem is that he isn't better than that. His finest work was cribbed from the tablature of the greatest metalsmiths of the late 80s and early 90s.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Just in case anyone forgot that Bobby Prince is a filthy thief

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If someone wants to try Wrack, quote this and I'll send a steam key your way.

You can find out for yourself why it's not very good.

(And on that note I also have a copy of System Shock 2 that needs a good home.

And Strife.

And Paranautical Activity, though this doesn't need a good home so much as someone willing to play a trashfire of a game.)

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 19, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jordan7hm posted:

And Strife.

And Paranautical Activity, though this doesn't need a good home so much as someone willing to play a trashfire of a game.)

I could use a strife key. My steam name is fishmecha

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

The problem is that he isn't better than that. His finest work was cribbed from the tablature of the greatest metalsmiths of the late 80s and early 90s.

Sign of Evil called.

Jordan7hm posted:

And Strife.

I have all of those except Paranautical Activity but I'm really not interested in irony pixel bullshit

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Jordan7hm posted:

And Strife.

Was Wrack the one that borrowed Mega Man X sounds, or am I thinking of something else? 'cause that one at least looked cool even if it ended up playing like poo poo (which I don't know, I can't even remember what it was called)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DoombatINC posted:

I find this way is much easier than clicking on all those links: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y3RWlDz_AA

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

I find this way is much easier than clicking on all those links: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y3RWlDz_AA
There's a compilation of all of them in one MP3 at the bottom.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

DoombatINC posted:

Thanks for reminding me to update that page

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Wrack is a game with a score-combo focus, but not only is the enemy count too low, the enemies have too much HP. Some enemies have so much health that when all you have is the weaker weapons, you can't kill them fast enough to sustain your combo. It's just not thought out well.

Also the level design is lame and the enemies are too. It's just an underwhelming, boring game.

It's not as actively terrible as Hard Reset, though. That game sucks on toast.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Keiya posted:

Was Wrack the one that borrowed Mega Man X sounds, or am I thinking of something else? 'cause that one at least looked cool even if it ended up playing like poo poo (which I don't know, I can't even remember what it was called)
I think that was RetroBlazer? The one that used the Quake engine, but also used sprites of Mega Man X-ish robot furries (albeit they looked even more like generic dA furries than MMX's did) and had level design that was about as flat as a Wolfenstein stage.

Had an unsuccessful KickStarter, too, so no idea if we'll be seeing any more of that. Played alright, at least.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I really liked RetroBlazer, though it should reallt change name to something less forgetable.

Hard Reset plays nothing like Doom, it's much closer to Quake, or Painkiller to be precise - closed areas with dozens of enemies at time, and you're supposed to use various explosive projectile launchers for mass damage. Too bad there are, like, three enemy classes, and one of them is a total bullet sponge which rams you, thus forcing to change place often. And you move really slow, there is stamina bar, and jumps are really worthless. But it looks really good, especially the later levels, and the decorations and animations are fun to watch. It's not complete garbage, and worth checking out for cheap.

Wrack on the other hand could be really good, but as everyone said, the level design is really bad, which is a shame as it comes from veteran Doom community member. The engine is really nice, and some designs could really work in better structured environments. Hopefully for 2nd episode Carn will give the mapping duties to someone else. And the music is so dull it's nearly offensive.

And Paranautical Activity is bad, pick Heavy Bullets or Fancy Skulls over it. And if you'll find Lovely Planet on sale, grab it - it's wonderful on every level.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Shadow Hog posted:

I think that was RetroBlazer? The one that used the Quake engine, but also used sprites of Mega Man X-ish robot furries (albeit they looked even more like generic dA furries than MMX's did) and had level design that was about as flat as a Wolfenstein stage.

Had an unsuccessful KickStarter, too, so no idea if we'll be seeing any more of that. Played alright, at least.
Amusingly enough, while RetroBlazer probably is the game you were thinking of, Wrack also stole from Megaman - music from Megaman X5 was in at least one of its preview versions.

And speaking of the music in Wrack, the Bobby Prince soundtrack follows this weird inverse quality curve where the music for the first few levels is really flat, but gets better and better the further you get, to the point where the music in the last few levels is actually better than anything he did for Doom. I'm surprised nobody else mentioned this, but I guess I'm the only one who actually bothered to play it all the way through.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Just watching the Doom 4 short "gameplay" trailer since I hadn't watched it at 60fps and I realized the music is a remix of E1M1. :3:

And the sped-up gameplay that got posted has a "Mein Leben" tossed in there too. Nice touch.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Lork posted:

Amusingly enough, while RetroBlazer probably is the game you were thinking of, Wrack also stole from Megaman - music from Megaman X5 was in at least one of its preview versions.

And speaking of the music in Wrack, the Bobby Prince soundtrack follows this weird inverse quality curve where the music for the first few levels is really flat, but gets better and better the further you get, to the point where the music in the last few levels is actually better than anything he did for Doom. I'm surprised nobody else mentioned this, but I guess I'm the only one who actually bothered to play it all the way through.

Oh, so the music of Wrack does get better? I admit that it didn't hold my interest that long. Maybe I'll slog through it to see what you are talking about.

Dewgy posted:

Just watching the Doom 4 short "gameplay" trailer since I hadn't watched it at 60fps and I realized the music is a remix of E1M1. :3:

And the sped-up gameplay that got posted has a "Mein Leben" tossed in there too. Nice touch.

I cracked up when I heard that :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Jordan7hm posted:

And Strife.

I could go for a copy of System Shock 2(Steam name is drrockso20[MicS] ), also what's so bad about Paranautical Activity?

also bought Ziggurat during the first day of Steam Sale, and it's a pretty fun game that is definitely rather Doom like in play style