Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I really hope I find one of those on my car sometime because I am going to have a lot of fun with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

freelop posted:

When I got my tablet it already knew where Iived and worked without me telling it based on where I log into google at what time.

Also if you may have one of these

http://www.wired.com/2010/10/fbi-tracking-device/

I really wish he'd managed to get it on another car.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

InitialDave posted:

1) Your mother is an idiot.

2) One of my friends deals with weddings, birth registrations and so on for her job, and yeah, they're really tight on foreign visitor marriage now. What you needed is called a Marriage Visitor Visa, as detailed here: https://www.gov.uk/marriage-visa/overview
1) My mother believes laws don't apply to her and that she can argue her way out of anything. It can be really annoying.

2)We just got married in Canada instead because all they ask for here is $20 for a marriage licence, and now I get to flip the double birds to customs agents who think I'm coming to the country to get married. (I don't actually flip off anyone)

N is for Nipples posted:

How much power are you making? I could only manage ~540HP out of a 5.5L NA pushrod V8.

I may just give up and make a tiny turbo FF.

691 @ 10,200RPM. I have the 4th fastest lap time and would like to keep it as close to that as possible

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MustardFacial posted:

My mother believes laws don't apply to her and that she can argue her way out of anything. It can be really annoying.
Unfortunately, she tried it with border control, and for them it's basically true.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

BloodBag posted:

E: STR, or other goonies, what app do you use on an android phone for monitoring a obd2 dongle? I just had one come into my possession.
Torque pro.

Rhyno posted:

I really wish he'd managed to get it on another car.
Should have found and placed it on a cop car.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

:stare:

Holy...poo poo...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You guys reaction to that article from 2010 is so adorable.

A few things:
- you know it's bad when the state of affairs is getting bad enough that the crazy conspiracy theorists you used to make fun of start seeming more rational.
- if you didn't see this coming, you are either blind or thought it was a great idea till they actually started using the powers they voted themselves.

I hate it when my nutbar infowars spouting friends on facebook end up being right about something.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Why exactly is "The confederate flag represents racism" such a difficult assertion for some people to accept?

I mean even the General Lee has it covered up in most car museums and I wholly approve of that tbh.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Drove the big blue turd around for about 2 and a half hours today with (almost) no issues after swapping in a new crankshaft position sensor. :toot:

Its bitching about the knock knock joke detector now, but it can sit the gently caress down and wait on that one.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

kastein posted:

You guys reaction to that article from 2010 is so adorable.

A few things:
- you know it's bad when the state of affairs is getting bad enough that the crazy conspiracy theorists you used to make fun of start seeming more rational.
- if you didn't see this coming, you are either blind or thought it was a great idea till they actually started using the powers they voted themselves.

I hate it when my nutbar infowars spouting friends on facebook end up being right about something.

I can remember thinking "How cute" to the tin foil hat brigade over any number of things. Now we find tin foil hats DO stop mind control, 1984 AND Brave New World are real and any number of what any rational person thought was stupid conspiracy theories are in fact totally true.

The illumanati and the NWO are more true than BS as well, especially with the real wealth of entire countries held by private families and poo poo like the TPP. What the hell next will be shown to be right after all?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Enourmo posted:

Why exactly is "The confederate flag represents racism" such a difficult assertion for some people to accept?

I mean even the General Lee has it covered up in most car museums and I wholly approve of that tbh.

Tsk.Tsk. Another whitewashed libtard doesn't understand the concept of heritage. :911:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I can remember thinking "How cute" to the tin foil hat brigade over any number of things. Now we find tin foil hats DO stop mind control, 1984 AND Brave New World are real and any number of what any rational person thought was stupid conspiracy theories are in fact totally true.

The illumanati and the NWO are more true than BS as well, especially with the real wealth of entire countries held by private families and poo poo like the TPP. What the hell next will be shown to be right after all?

Best part was the head of Cartier saying that he lays awake in bed at night worrying about poor people revolting.

Edit: Link -- http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...t-10307485.html

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The real joke is that while its true, its not some shadowy conspiracy. They're considered celebrities and have their names on the world's tallest skyscrapers.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Enourmo posted:

Are you talking about that Australian guy from a few days back, or today's Supreme Court decision about license plates?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Add "the worst date I've been privy to so far" to the list of this week's joys. Wow.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well in general, but I specifically got into a mini-argument with someone on commieGIR's facebook page over this.

"The confederate flag is not a symbol of racism it's about states' rights"

*I copy/paste the Cornerstone Speech.*

"Buh it happened over 100 years ago, let's not cling to the past."

:ironicat:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pham Nuwen posted:

Are you talking about that Australian guy from a few days back, or today's Supreme Court decision about license plates?

Probably a bit of both.

It doesn't matter what it used to represent, it only matters what it represents now. Perception is reality. All the Hate Not Heritage You Got Your X I Got Mine bullshit is exactly that: Bullshit. It's the same thing as saying "I have black friends, so I'm not racist" line of poo poo - no fuckwad, you're racist. If you have to preface something as "I'm not X but" or "No offense but", you're about to offend someone anyway and it doesn't give you justification for being a shithead.

But you know what?

Let the fuckers fly it. Let them wear the goddamn shirt. Free speech and all that. The kicker to it is, while you have freedom of speech, you aren't free from consequences of that speech, whatever it may be. So yeah, go ahead. Fly it and fly it proudly. Meanwhile, everyone else with a bit of self awareness, common sense, and decency is going to distance themselves quite quickly.

Sooner rather than later, those racist shitheels are going to be alone on a little bitty hill wondering where it all went wrong.

And I say this as being born, raised, and educated in Ala-loving-bama.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Enourmo posted:

Well in general, but I specifically got into a mini-argument with someone on commieGIR's facebook page over this.

That's an interesting situation.

A) You should not be flying a confederate flag over your backwards-rear end state's statehouse in 2015.

B) If you do fly a confederate flag over your backwards-rear end state's statehouse in 2015 and there is a tragedy significant enough to fly the state's and the nation's flags at half-mast, it is bad form to keep the confederate flag at full staff.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Tide posted:

Let the fuckers fly it. Let them wear the goddamn shirt.

https://youtu.be/B-CdSuFZj1s?t=1m43s

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Not really CL threadworthy but i find it ammusing some rear end clown looking dude is hucking a Ferrari, The Ferrari on Ebay for 5 mill right now.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-Oth...%3D121681508267

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Adiabatic posted:

Had a great Tuesday. Found out I am full speed ahead on the power company gig, and will probably be there until the end of 2016. Also aced a test I was worried about in my summer class!

So of course yesterday I walk out to the parking lot and find the Force had to restore balance:

It looks like the bumper was pretty high up. Some chucklefuck must've not been comfortable with the dimensions of his brotruck when he swung in to park next to me.

I WAS SO FAR OVER IN THE PARKING SPACE.

No note, of course.

:sigh:

Chick in an SUV, I would bet money on it.
Came out to my wife's parked Astro one day to find a white paint scuff ALL THE WAY DOWN THE VAN. Like, it wasn't quite enough that you've hit it, you're so goddamned oblivious in you rolling living room that you just KEEP GOING. At least hers didn't leave a crease, and did actually buff right out for once.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Enourmo posted:

"The confederate flag is not a symbol of racism it's about states' rights"

*I copy/paste the Cornerstone Speech.*

Goal post moving should be an Olympic sport.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

And yet they cling to that freaking flag.

Ugggghhhhhh.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Just like facebook game invite spamming friends, Monster decals, and bronies, confederate flags are a self-selecting "this person is a loving moron" tag that I am perfectly OK with allowing in public discourse.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Darchangel posted:

Chick in an SUV, I would bet money on it.
Came out to my wife's parked Astro one day to find a white paint scuff ALL THE WAY DOWN THE VAN. Like, it wasn't quite enough that you've hit it, you're so goddamned oblivious in you rolling living room that you just KEEP GOING. At least hers didn't leave a crease, and did actually buff right out for once.

If you're driving an Astro van I don't think you can call someone out as driving a "rolling living room"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Just like facebook game invite spamming friends, Monster decals, and bronies, confederate flags are a self-selecting "this person is a loving moron" tag that I am perfectly OK with allowing in public discourse.

More an issue when they fly it over a state capitol where an obvious hate crime was carried out.

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

Has anybody seen the pictures of the blue "General Grant" Charger?

I'd love to recreate that and drive through the south. Or for extra excitement rename it the General Sherman.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Don't forget to remind those people that that flag is not the actual national flag of the Confederacy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Deeters posted:

Don't forget to remind those people that that flag is not the actual national flag of the Confederacy.

Doesn't matter if its the Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia, which was still a Confederate Army, its what its associated with.

Thelonious posted:

Has anybody seen the pictures of the blue "General Grant" Charger?

I'd love to recreate that and drive through the south. Or for extra excitement rename it the General Sherman.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Rhyno posted:

Ugh. Scooter guy called. He wants more money for it now.

Did you tell him that his drinking and driving damaged his brain and the he should get hosed?

Because you should have.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I just watched a man dig out someone's short out of a cigarette butt receptacle, and then light it up and smoke it. :what:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

kastein posted:

This is pretty well how I feel about it as well. It's a good "Avoid Me!" flag.

T-Square posted:

I just watched a man dig out someone's short out of a cigarette butt receptacle, and then light it up and smoke it. :what:

Waste not, want not. :v:

Back when I used to smoke, I used to see people pick up the butts I would flick on the ground, then pick them up and smoke them. That's when you know you have a problem.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Deeters posted:

:ssh: this is usually the loophole they like to cite as to why it's totally OK to fly the southern cross.

Which means it should be totally cool for me to put up a Kreigsmarine Ensign on my flagpole. Its not the national flag of nazi Germany :colbert:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Elmnt80 posted:

The real joke is that while its true, its not some shadowy conspiracy. They're considered celebrities and have their names on the world's tallest skyscrapers.

No... in fact they dont.There is a whole layer that operates quietly that dont seek publicity, they are not on the rich lists, but they own a hell of a lot more than almost anyone knows. They are usually family owned and they just dont seek publicity.

(I work for one. I could say who they are but you would literally find nothing about them. It's amazing how quiet and how extensive it really is and how it's all family based.)

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Enourmo posted:

It's super popular among poor whites because waaay back in the day, conservatives did an amazing job of convincing poor whites that they were better off than poor blacks. Like, an amazing job. Living in the South, it's really unreal to see people of the same socioeconomic status do the same poo poo, yet call blacks some racial epithet for doing it. I mean, in the media you kind of expect it because the media is really sensational; but what's sensational in the media for most of the country is Tuesday for us here in the South. It happens all the loving time and arguing against it is an exercise in futility.

Pro-tip: When they say, "I mean, I'm just talking back about the good ol' days of the South..." If you respond with, "What, back when cops beat up black people for no reason?" or "Back when there was human enslavement and abuse?" They get real pissed off. Doubly so when you try to argue that Mayberry was a work of fiction. :v:

E: They really can't grasp that the heritage thing is about like flying a Nazi flag and arguing that it's about industrialization and efficiency or something.

E2: What's the easiest way to get pictures from my phone onto here? I see some poo poo at work that I'd like to share here and in the horrible mechanical failures thread and I'd rather go directly from phone to post instead of downloading pictures to my laptop then uploading then posting.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 19, 2015

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

You can upload directly from your phone to a site like imgur and then post them that way.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've got a free drop box account and have my computer and phone connected to it. My phone automatically uploads all pictures to drop box and my computer automatically syncs the drop box folder. So I take a picture and it ends up on my computer within a few seconds.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Goddamnit I think I just sprained my ankle again, doing the apparently impossible task of walking across the kitchen.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrChips posted:

Goddamnit I think I just sprained my ankle again, doing the apparently impossible task of walking across the kitchen.

They say over 90% of kitchen accidents occur in or around the kitchen.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I don't know what the hell came over me today, but on my way to class I just got incredibly loving tired.

Parked in the parking garage (I usually get there at least an hour early, today was no exception), set an alarm on my phone for 5:50pm, put the a/c on fresh air instead of recirculate, and leaned the seat back so I could take an hour nap.

... woke up at nearly 8. :doh: Surprised how little gas the car used idling with the a/c on for 3 hours, the gauge barely moved. Can't even get into the building after 6:30, so I came home. Just as well, still exhausted.

CommieGIR posted:

But yeah, excess sugar intake is STILL bad, but sugar is still more just something that needs to be balanced and carefully managed, not completely eliminated.

When I was a kid/teen, I'd inhale at least a 12 pack of Dr. Pepper a day.

.... no wonder I'm diabetic. :v:

I've gotten pretty tuned in to what my body wants though. I'll get cravings for green veggies, other veggies, occasionally meat and starches, and every now and then, sugar (if I crave sugar I check my blood sugar first, but it's almost always nosedived if I'm craving ice cream or a Coke).

Geoj posted:

When I had Progressive's equivalent I read that if the device causes your battery to die repeatedly (not uncommon if you live where it has a weak cell signal) they'll often waive the monitoring period and give you a decent permanent discount. So you could try mimicking behavior of a dying battery - leave it connected for a few days, then disconnect and reconnect it several hours later. Then call and complain that it's killing your "brand new" battery.

Honestly I don't have a problem with the monitoring aspect of such programs, assuming it's voluntary for purposes of obtaining a discount. But the parameters they rank you with are quite literally "this car is owned by a little old lady who only drives to the grocery store and church once a week." Driving any time that isn't between 1 and 4 PM is medium/high risk, any stop that wasn't planned out a half mile in advance is a "hard stop," you get dinged if you drive more than 15 miles/day and on the flip side if you don't drive enough they claim they don't have enough data to determine if you qualify for a discount.

That's the thing, everything I do is considered "high risk" - tons of short trips, lots of driving during peak hours, lots of late night driving, and it would also give away the fact that I actually do delivery pretty quickly. And being a fairly underpowered 4 cylinder, it sees reasonably high RPMs pretty often when I'm pulling out into traffic (4-5k).

I could always lie and stick it on mom's car, but I assume it does some sort of VIN check. Plus I'm not a fan of insurance fraud.

Besides, the car has OnStar, and a modern ECU with plenty of data logging capabilities - I'm sure it already has some form of mini black box in the ECU that logs stuff like throttle position, speed, etc leading up to an accident. If I had OnStar enabled, I know part of what it sends out in an accident report is GPS location, vehicle speed, whether brakes were used, which airbags deployed, if the car was spun around or rolled over, what direction the impact came from, which seats were occupied, which seatbelts were fastened, etc etc etc. If an insurance company or police department wants to reconstruct an accident, all of the data they would need is already there, and can usually be accessed without a warrant.

BloodBag posted:

E: STR, or other goonies, what app do you use on an android phone for monitoring a obd2 dongle? I just had one come into my possession.

Torque, as others have said.

Sigma X posted:

Maybe you're not aware, but pretty much every state/region that has an EZPass-like option, uses EZPass to monitor subscribers on major highways, even when it's not for tolling purposes. To my knowledge, the only place it's been legally challenged was in New Jersey, where the state claimed the data was anonymized. When it was shown it wasn't, they recanted, but no ban on tracking EZPasses outside toll areas was ever issued.

I've noticed a lot of such readers in the most random places - usually highway on and off ramps.

They're all over I-35E, which to the best of my knowledge, was never a tolled road (I-30 was, but it was turned into a free road before EZPass/TollTag technology was really around)..

kastein posted:

I have EZpass because I would go insane commuting otherwise, I aint carrying quarters and poo poo.

NTTA did away with toll booths entirely. No tag, or no money on your tag? You get a bill in the mail a few weeks/months later, except you pay ~50% more than you would had you been responsible and kept money on your tag.

(they also bill whatever card is tied to the tag in $40 chunks, which has caused some very expensive bank shenanigans for me in the past, so I have to make a call every few weeks to manually add funds)

freelop posted:

When it came to the first renewall the price halved, then the next time it was at 400.
That simply wouldn't have happened on regular insurance.

I will probably ask how much it is helping out at my next renewal and get it deactived then.

Insurance companies here generally claim "up to a 10-15% reduction in rates" - maximum.

Supposedly they can't increase your rates with them here (yet), but I'm still :tinfoil: about them knowing my driving habits.

Galler posted:

I've got a free drop box account and have my computer and phone connected to it. My phone automatically uploads all pictures to drop box and my computer automatically syncs the drop box folder. So I take a picture and it ends up on my computer within a few seconds.

I've been doing this for years. More just to have an automatic backup, also so I can wipe my phone (or at least free up space) without worrying about losing photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
My wife just had to sit through a 10 minute tirade of me ranting about SA-GTE. This is consuming me.

• Locked thread