Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Stymie posted:

then post his actual papal acts reaffirming the church's stance against homosexuality and contraception to give the full context

a pope with good PR but not a good pope

full liberation theology now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

this is the environmental encyclical

cyberpope is tweeting his pronouncements

you mean wizardpope

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Stymie posted:

then post his actual papal acts reaffirming the church's stance against homosexuality and contraception to give the full context

a pope with good PR but not a good pope

hes probably the best of all possible popes

i mean hes still catholic so youre gonna get some poo poo policy off that, but at least he cares about poor people and poo poo

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

did the thread talk about soylent dropping bitcoin as payment yet?

I thought most people just used a payment platform that automatically handled/cashed out Bitcoin, not actually have a wallet. Why would you drop it in that case

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ANAmal.net posted:

i mean hes still catholic so youre gonna get some poo poo policy off that, but at least he cares about poor people and poo poo

yeah, you can't expect the guy to be 100% sensible, but he's a vast improvement over the other ones

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I thought most people just used a payment platform that automatically handled/cashed out Bitcoin, not actually have a wallet. Why would you drop it in that case

mozilla did an a/b test and found that if their donation form allowed bitcoin donations (via a tiny link in the fine print) their total donations would drop by 7.5%. due to its reputation just accepting bitcoin is a signal your company is shady to many people.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Mr.Radar posted:

mozilla did an a/b test and found that if their donation form allowed bitcoin donations (via a tiny link in the fine print) their total donations would drop by 7.5%. due to its reputation just accepting bitcoin is a signal your company is shady to many people.

ahahaha wow this is amazing

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

"Click link for 'OTHER' payment options'

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Mr.Radar posted:

r/bitcoin also decried Mozilla's methodology as flawed, looooooool

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

considering he heads a 2000 year old archconservative organization built on social control and repression any kind of progress is good in any department

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Le Pope FTW

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
jesuit pope best pope

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

FMguru posted:

jesuit pope best pope

he's only got one lung :ohdear:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

lol. it's stephen harper!

lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
also fyi re: amway they did finally got taken to court for being a pyramid scheme and they loving beat it lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ANAmal.net posted:

gently caress you stymiequoter

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
son of a bitch i didnt even realize it was stymie

im gonna go not post for a while

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Pinterest Mom posted:

this is the environmental encyclical

cyberpope is tweeting his pronouncements

the cyberpope's arch nemesis must be tech prophet shingy

that final battle gonna be epic

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Real legalese from a real thing that a company wanted me to sign prior to an initial phone interview. This is a waiver I had to sign to fill out an application, even though they already looked at my resume and decided from that to interview me. But anyway:

quote:

Neither the acceptance of this application nor the subsequent entry into any type of employment relationship, either in the position applied for or any other position, and regardless of the contents of employee handbooks, personnel manuals, benefit plans, policy statements and the like as they may exist from time to time, or other Company practices, shall serve to create an actual or implied contract of employment.

Both the undersigned and the Company may end the employment relationship at any time, without specified notice or reason. If employed I understand that the Company may unilaterally change or revise their benefits, policies and procedures and such changes may include reduction in benefits.

[As part of applying here the Company may investigate my] character, general reputation, personal characteristics and mode of living.

I further understand that my employment with the Company shall be probationary for a period of 90 days...

Needless to say I did NOT sign this document. The NDA for the interview also said that I can't even mention that I *had* an interview with them, so...lol when my friends or parents ask "What did you do today? Any interesting job interviews?" and I have to say "I cannot tell you."

Years ago I also refused to sign a document that a company handed me during a job interview because it said, among other things, they were going to check my driving history (the job was a desk job in an office and I haven't owned a car in 12 years) and credit history, which I know is super common, but I pressed them on the irrelevance of my credit history for the position and they backed down. Regarding the bizarro driving history check they sheepishly said "Yeah, huh, I never read that. I guess it's just boilerplate that we got from somewhere."

reading fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 18, 2015

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
what company was it

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

reading posted:

Real legalese from a real thing that a company wanted me to sign prior to an initial phone interview. This is a waiver I had to sign to fill out an application, even though they already looked at my resume and decided from that to interview me. But anyway:

Needless to say I did NOT sign this document. The NDA for the interview also said that I can't even mention that I *had* an interview with them, so...lol when my friends or parents ask "What did you do today? Any interesting job interviews?" and I have to say "I cannot tell you."

Years ago I also refused to sign a document that a company handed me during a job interview because it said, among other things, they were going to check my driving history (the job was a desk job in an office and I haven't owned a car in 12 years) and credit history, which I know is super common, but I pressed them on the irrelevance of my credit history for the position and they backed down. Regarding the bizarro driving history check they sheepishly said "Yeah, huh, I never read that. I guess it's just boilerplate that we got from somewhere."

googling for a chunk of text from that, seems there's more than one company w/ the same lawyers:

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sour...20employment%22

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

reading posted:

did you accidentally apply for a job for a black ops division of the CIA

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

starting to see a bunch of articles lately about how the pope is gonna be a huge thorn in the side of gop candidates because of stuff like this + the upcoming environmental encyclical

full ideological purity or nothing

A Bad Pope

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
he speaks out for the plight of the environment and the exploited underclass worldwide, tries to loosen doctrine on homosexuality. He was a chemist and uses his scientific background to speak with confidence on moral issues around climate change. He's the first Latin American pope ever.

but drat it, this ancient celibate dude still doesn't see the point of condoms so he's going against the wall I guess

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
pulling out is sodomy

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

qntm posted:

did you accidentally apply for a job for a black ops division of the CIA

I did that, but the trauma of the interview process caused amnesia. After years of globetrotting and dodging trained assassins' bullets, I brought the war home to the rogue CIA division who recruited me and regained most of my memory. Then I remembered that the day before the interview, I was getting to a really good part of Battlestar Galactica season 2 and, well, here we are.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
it's p funy that in order to work for the CIA or the FBI you've gotta pass a bullshit "lie detector" test

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's p funy that in order to work for the CIA or the FBI you've gotta pass a bullshit "lie detector" test

in grad school we spent a week learning how to beat a polygraph, or as my professor called it "a good way to test if your hand is sweaty"

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

in grad school we spent a week learning how to beat a polygraph, or as my professor called it "a good way to test if your hand is sweaty"

it's also good for detecting body thetans

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

that's p cool

did it involve loving w/ the baseline questions or was it some stimulus-based thing to provoke a physical response

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

did you do a masters in tradecraft or something?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

which is basically a test for "are you dumb enough to believe a lie detector test works"

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

a cool thing is now anyone offering instruction on beating polygraphs is being investigated by the fbi and they'll send undercover agents to take the training and then arrest the trainer

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
how 2 beat polygraph: just do anything at all because they don't work and the cops know it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

angry_keebler posted:

a cool thing is now anyone offering instruction on beating polygraphs is being investigated by the fbi and they'll send undercover agents to take the training and then arrest the trainer

what are they charged with?

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Awia posted:

did you do a masters in tradecraft or something?

applied psychology

edit: the lesson was about how most testing is bunk and also how to use biofeedback

24-7 Urkel Cosplay fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 19, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

well for CIA it kinda makes sense in a way, gotta be able to lie under pressure for that gig

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Subjunctive posted:

anything that will stick

wirefraud or conspiracy to obstruct an official process

i think one guy was going to get busted on wiretapping because he recorded the session to do a video play by play for the client who was an undercover who later said no i was never informed that i was being recorded even though the tape clearly showed the instructor letting the undercover guy know that he was being recorded

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

well for CIA it kinda makes sense in a way, gotta be able to lie under pressure for that gig

everybody talks as if everyone at the cia is some kind of secret agent, but the most high-pressure situation your average cia officer would ever be in is testifying to congr... oh right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Subjunctive posted:

that's cute that you think you need to be "charged" with a "crime" to be arrested in the US

• Locked thread