Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I've heard mixed reviews. I needed an electric smoker because my HOA forbids me from just getting a Weber Smoky Mountain. I bought a Traeger which uses wood pellets and I really like it.

I have this one: http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/detail/TFB29LZA#.VX3nATPASOA and it's nice because it has a hopper full of hardwood pellets that it feeds in at the right rate to maintain the temperature you want. Also unlike some electric smokers I always get a smoke ring.

They sell them at Costco a lot, there's a schedule floating around of when they're at each location. Edit: http://www.costco.com/traeger-schedule.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

instead of the electric, check out this guy for 179:
I'm debating it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQ59VTO

Edit: With a few mods, it looks like this thing will kick some butts.
mods being:
RTV/High Temp Silicone gasket between firebox and smoke box.
RTV/Stove Gasket around door.
Maybe a heat sink (clay tiles) or two.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 14, 2015

Rattlehead
Nov 20, 2004
Only dead fish go with the flow.
Another option is propane. I have something that looks exactly like this and I've smoked chicken, pork butts, pork ribs, brisket and jalapeno poppers and they've all come out fantastic.

http://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Glo-DGY784BDP-Vertical-Smoker-15-Propane/dp/B007YX9KRU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If I could get charcoal I'd get a used WSM. That Dyna-glo offset box looks ok I guess.

If I had to get propane I'd just get a regular grill. :unsmith:

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I know nothing about it, but this BGE knockoff is $240 on Amazon right now.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I have one and I love it, but I've only smoked a few things in it so far. Yes, the window is useless because it gets covered in soot during the first smoke. It's a good set it and forget it setup, as the only thing you need to do is add woodchips every 2 hours or whatever. I have the one with the remote, so I can check the temperature of my meat from the couch.

If your dad likes the idea of being "in" to smoking, and wants to tend fires or coals and really embrace the art of smoking, then that might not be the one. If he wants to throw a hunk of meat into that thing and take it out when it's done and delicious, then it's a good choice. He can still be creative with rubs/sprays/etc.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The Bunk posted:

I know nothing about it, but this BGE knockoff is $240 on Amazon right now.

Steel outside and "porcelain coated steel" inside. Super weird.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Erwin posted:

I have one and I love it, but I've only smoked a few things in it so far. Yes, the window is useless because it gets covered in soot during the first smoke. It's a good set it and forget it setup, as the only thing you need to do is add woodchips every 2 hours or whatever. I have the one with the remote, so I can check the temperature of my meat from the couch.

If your dad likes the idea of being "in" to smoking, and wants to tend fires or coals and really embrace the art of smoking, then that might not be the one. If he wants to throw a hunk of meat into that thing and take it out when it's done and delicious, then it's a good choice. He can still be creative with rubs/sprays/etc.

Decided to go with the smaller WSM, my dad will be into all the hobbyist stuff and it's the same cost as that Masterbuilt electric one.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Roughly how much hardwood charcoal will get me to 250? Does 1/4 to 1/3 of a chimney starter sound right?

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

sellouts posted:

Steel outside and "porcelain coated steel" inside. Super weird.

Pretty sure these are hollow walled or something like that. The lid is super light.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

guys i got a smoker box for my weber genesis ayy lmao

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

IT BURNS posted:

Roughly how much hardwood charcoal will get me to 250? Does 1/4 to 1/3 of a chimney starter sound right?

Depends on your smoker. I always use more than I need but charcoal is cheap so I don't really mind.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

IT BURNS posted:

Depends what the weathers like outside.

Summertime I will use 1/4-1/3 of a chimney, winter I'll use 3/4 or so. Also helps (if you're using water) to wait until your coals are lit and in the box, then add boiling (or as hot as your tap will produce) water to the pan rather than putting in cold water and making the coals heat it up.

AllPraiseToAllah
Oct 30, 2014

Chemmy posted:

I've heard mixed reviews. I needed an electric smoker because my HOA forbids me from just getting a Weber Smoky Mountain. I bought a Traeger which uses wood pellets and I really like it.

I have this one: http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/detail/TFB29LZA#.VX3nATPASOA and it's nice because it has a hopper full of hardwood pellets that it feeds in at the right rate to maintain the temperature you want. Also unlike some electric smokers I always get a smoke ring.

They sell them at Costco a lot, there's a schedule floating around of when they're at each location. Edit: http://www.costco.com/traeger-schedule.html

What the gently caress? Your hoa forbids bbq?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

Forbids charcoal cooking? Some people think it is dangerous or whatever.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

Probably the same kind of hoa-nazis that prevent certain paint colors, sat dishes, pets, or anything else that could possibly harm somebody's Victorian sensibilities or perceived property value.

All kidding aside, charcoal can produce smoke which can suck for 2nd floor residents having their windows open. (Hypothetically, people I know who also have a wsm have been known to intentionally generate smoke to irritate noisy neighbors)

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

I live in a townhouse so it's not completely crazy. They don't care about my Traeger so I'm not that concerned.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

This is why I ain't got no love for hoas

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
So my last round of spareribs was one of my better efforts in terms of taste but the bark didn't develop very well. The rub was kind of soft for lack of a better term at the end of the cook. Any ideas what might have caused that our how to mitigate it? I don't put any sauce on the ribs as I prefer them with rub only.

I did experiment with smoking a couple chicken breasts along with those ribs and it went very well. I overshot the internal temperature a little bit but overall they had a really nice flavor. I did brine them for a while before I cooked them.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Trig Discipline posted:

To be fair it is a town house, so he shares walls or something with neighbors and it is often a rule at many apartments. It makes sense if it is in an area where fire code is the reason more than hoa or coa or whatever rules, too.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Trig Discipline posted:

I got 99 problems but brisket ain't one.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

El Jebus posted:

To be fair it is a town house, so he shares walls or something with neighbors and it is often a rule at many apartments. It makes sense if it is in an area where fire code is the reason more than hoa or coa or whatever rules, too.

I think it's a fire code thing. My neighbors on both sides enjoy delicious BBQ luckily so nobody cares that I smoke all weekend.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Chemmy posted:

I think it's a fire code thing. My neighbors on both sides enjoy delicious BBQ luckily so nobody cares that I smoke all weekend.

This is just one of the reasons why I love having a single family house even if it means I don't get to walk to the swanky places. Of course, I do have to deal with yard maintenance....

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

I uh. I got carried away.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Thats like... half of what I cook every time I fire up the cooker.

In other words perfectly normal. You did no such thing.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I like your vegetable side of six cherry tomatoes.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Secret Spoon posted:

I uh. I got carried away.

Did you smoke the lobster? How was that? How long did it take?

And yeah I tend to try to fill the smoker each time. If nothing else I will throw some pork butts in to make pulled pork to freeze.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Trastion posted:

Did you smoke the lobster? How was that? How long did it take?

And yeah I tend to try to fill the smoker each time. If nothing else I will throw some pork butts in to make pulled pork to freeze.

Nah, at the end of the smoking process I opened up the wood burning pit and threw a pot of water on it and boiled the lobster up that way. Also there was a vegetable side! I pan roasted some brussel sprouts, zucchini, and squash over the wood. There was also broccolini. The links where all smoked for about 6 hours with pecan wood and came out pretty good too.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok help me smoke babby's first brisket.

I got a big green egg knockoff. I have lump charcoal. I have hardwood chunks. I have thermometers. I will soon have a brisket.

I know to keep it low and slow, but questions I have:

1. Do I soak the smoking wood?
2. Does it go directly on the coals?
3. Do I let it get ashy before I add the brisket?
4. How long? Am i going for an internal temp or just a specific amount of time?
5. Just dry rub the brisket before it goes on?

I will probably have more questions. Thanks.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Have you cooked with your bge knockoff before? If not, I urge you to cook a pork shoulder first so you can learn temp control. It's infinitely more forgiving.

So:

Watch this: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU

1. Don't soak the wood.
2. What? Put it on the grate. Mix chips in with lump.
3. It won't get ashy, they're not briquettes. It'll just get red and hot. Don't do that. Close grill vent to proper size for temp you want before you get there so you don't overshoot. Do this 20-30 min before you put brisket on to make sure you're stabilized at that temp. I like 250. 225 is cool too but will take longer and is harder to maintain in my experience.
4. Always cook to temp. Franklin cooks to 201. I would probably do 185? Prepare for 1.25-1.5 hrs/ lb and don't be worried when the temp stalls out.
5. I like the dry rub.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

Have you cooked with your bge knockoff before? If not, I urge you to cook a pork shoulder first so you can learn temp control. It's infinitely more forgiving.

So:

Watch this: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU

1. Don't soak the wood.
2. What? Put it on the grate. Mix chips in with lump.
3. It won't get ashy, they're not briquettes. It'll just get red and hot. Don't do that. Close grill vent to proper size for temp you want before you get there so you don't overshoot. Do this 20-30 min before you put brisket on to make sure you're stabilized at that temp. I like 250. 225 is cool too but will take longer and is harder to maintain in my experience.
4. Always cook to temp. Franklin cooks to 201. I would probably do 185? Prepare for 1.25-1.5 hrs/ lb and don't be worried when the temp stalls out.
5. I like the dry rub.

All great advice, thanks. I will smoke a butt first. I've heard of the temp stalling, do I then wrap it in foil or just let it keep smoking?

edit: Ratio of lump to chips? Does it all go in the chimney starter or just start the charcoal that way?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Let it keep going. Watch the Franklin videos as he goes through the whole process. He wraps in butcher paper but you don't have to. I wouldn't use foil unless it was ribs but that's just me.

I don't use a starter for my bge. I put the lump in, mix in wood chips, bury a starter cube, light it and 20 min later coals are hot and I can close the top and start setting vents to proper temp.

I add more wood chips as it goes but tbh I don't oversmoke stuff. I just mix it to what feels right. Smoke should be light blue/barely visible.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
I know we all usually make full-on BBQ here, but dammit this is the slow smoking meat thread and I slow smoked this meat.

It's a boneless pork butt that was on sale, brined then seasoned with the basics (salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder) and a little thyme. Smoked it on lump with a couple oak chunks at 275F until 170F internal temperature (~4 hours), foiled it with half a dozen crushed garlic cloves and a few sprigs of rosemary. Pulled it off at 190F (~6 hours). Defatted the juices from the aluminum foil and made a pan sauce with a cup of white wine. So drat delicious and not my typical pulled pork go-to. Served with some roast fingerling potatoes and asparagus.

I really just wanted to test a HeaterMeter part that I had 3D printed, which I will post a picture of because we all like gadgets too right? It is a Offset Rotary Damper that incorporates a servo damper with a blower to regulate the pit temperature.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 19, 2015

micron
Nov 15, 2005

I need a Father's Day gift for myself! Can anyone recommend a two channel remote probe thermometer and or a decent meat slicer for my pastrami's? I currently use an electric knive but I'd like to get it "near" deli thin.

Roughly around 100 bucks give or take. There's a bunch on Amazon. Also I don't need a 500 dollar deli slicer! Any other gadgets I should be looking for?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
For slicers, the Chef's Choice 615 is pretty decent for a home model:
http://www.amazon.com/Chefs-Choice-Premium-Electric-Slicer/dp/B0058VCYWS/

There are a few other models that are a little less, but the 615 has a more powerful motor, which might mean it would last longer.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

I made some of these today. I used all beef frozen meatballs and thick cut apple wood smoked bacon and a Korean teriyaki sauce for the glaze. They were great but I can tell that I am going to be making these a bunch to experiment with the glazes to find what ones I like best. I think something spicy is in order. Maybe a Jalapeno Jelly based glaze?

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Giving my first brisket a go. After comparing the size of the 14.5lb packer to my 30" masterbuilt I grudgingly separated the flat & point so it'd fit :(

I'm definitely more nervous to smoke this than anything else so far, so many stories about dry brisket!

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Tivac posted:

Giving my first brisket a go. After comparing the size of the 14.5lb packer to my 30" masterbuilt I grudgingly separated the flat & point so it'd fit :(

I'm definitely more nervous to smoke this than anything else so far, so many stories about dry brisket!

Make sure you budget multiple hours of resting time into your cook time. The difference between a rested brisket and one that is sliced right away is substantial.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

coronaball posted:

Make sure you budget multiple hours of resting time into your cook time. The difference between a rested brisket and one that is sliced right away is substantial.

The point just came off, got unwrapped from its crutch and is in the cooler wrapper in towels. The flat still has ~15 degrees to go. Should have 1-1.5 hrs of resting time for that, so hopefully it's enough.

I put these into the smoker at 3:30 this morning, brisket is a real commitment XD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iMonarch
Mar 19, 2007
What's good, everyone? I've been getting into smoking quite a bit this year. I only took a few photos of a few smokes I did this year but I thought I'd share with you all here.

A few weeks ago I made bacon with an augmented recipe out of an America's Test Kitchen meat book, a little heavy on the salt but easily worth the time and effort I put into it. The cure was made with kosher salt, brown sugar, pink salt, lots of pepper, and fresh picked thyme and sage. Cured for a week then smoked over hickory.

And just today I smoked up beef jerky, standard marinade with smoked chipotle pepper powder added. I cut up about 3.5 pounds of bottom round with the grain and about 18 ounces of eye of round. Smoked for about two hours over mesquite.