Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Best Girl posted:

And then I get punished for something beyond my control. I'd rather it just not alter your score at all. Someone can still unplug their router, but they won't move up in rank. And if they're bad they're going to stay that way except in the instances they're put on a really good team or against a really bad team. And the higher they weasel, the less that'll happen.

It's not really being punished, unless you feel that offended at being a lower rank. If disconnects didn't lose you your rank then yes, some rear end in a top hat could slowly grind his way up to A- and beyond, because the only direction would be would be staying the same or up. Rank losses for disconnects ensure that as you go up in rank, the quality of players goes up too. Both in skill, and in actually staying in the match instead of your connection issues punishing me. That logic works both ways, you see.

See, if you disconnect and cause my team to lose (because who wins down a player unless the other team is incredibly awful or it's too late to matter?), then your ranking doesn't change while mine goes down. How is that more fair? Especially when it's me and two others getting that hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
If there are connection issues on the blame of one person and it disconnects, everyone playing that match goes down 10 regardless of team. it be bad, ya see.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I feel personally offended for being at a lower rank.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Rank actually doesn't matter, except for Fools & Clowns to mistake you for an easy splat :twitsed:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

also plays during splatfests and as the staff roll theme

http://funny.computer/cloud/Music/Splatoon/STRM_Plaza_Night_FullTrack.mp3

http://funny.computer/cloud/Music/Splatoon/STRM_StaffRoll.mp3

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That's... a completely different song. Zeruel was asking about the Customary Chorus of Calamari County, not about when the Squid Sisters sing.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
It sounds like an arrangement of the same tune to me.

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

Bruceski posted:

That's... a completely different song. Zeruel was asking about the Customary Chorus of Calamari County, not about when the Squid Sisters sing.

Yeah, someone ran the music through and it's the chorus of the track Suspicious Dish linked. It's a pretty neat little detail, if you ask me!

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Er, no. It's This one, which has a spoiler filename

Edit: Also, Parasol Prophet's lyrics are probably closer than mine for the bit we both did!

Keiya fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jun 18, 2015

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FighterKnuckles posted:

Yeah, someone ran the music through and it's the chorus of the track Suspicious Dish linked. It's a pretty neat little detail, if you ask me!

Can you give me a start point on http://funny.computer/cloud/Music/Splatoon/STRM_Plaza_Night_FullTrack.mp3 for where they sync up? I usually have a good ear for music, but I'm simply not hearing it.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

I just realised the symbol on the Basic Tees just says squid in Japanese hahaha I want one Nintendo

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

Can you give me a start point on http://funny.computer/cloud/Music/Splatoon/STRM_Plaza_Night_FullTrack.mp3 for where they sync up? I usually have a good ear for music, but I'm simply not hearing it.

Staff roll has it starting at 1:17. The other chorus version here doesn't use the exact melody, but it uses the same chords and structure, and staff roll has both, so I got confused. My bad, sorry.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

(click for articles)

:raise:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The invasion has begun. Squid Girl wasn't joking.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Takoluka posted:

The inkvasion has begun.

Fixed that for you.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

andipossess posted:

Fixed that for you.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Does anyone know how Last Ditch Effort works with Splat Zones?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Akarshi posted:

Knockout is a separate win condition, so I'm pretty sure it only kicks in at 4:30.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Akarshi posted:

Works just like you would think; does nothing until the clock goes below 30 seconds, then it kicks in. You're probably wondering if it continues to work if the game goes into overtime, and it indeed does. Which sounds good but a lot of splat zone matches never reach overtime because of knockout stomps. I'd say opening gambit would be stronger because being able to win the initial skirmish in splat zones can sometimes be all you need to win the entire match. Though I don't even know if the effects of opening gambit/last ditch are even dramatic enough to warrant using them. Definitely not as noticeable as you'd think they would be.

Its weird how the gunplay is for the most part very balanced but then the perks are a mess, with tons of them being worthless while others are amazing.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Right, I'm more or less ready to put the Nuzzlenose in the drat Good Gun™ category. Despite the semiautomatic nature of the gun, it works like a sped up rapid blaster (without the AD). Also, disruptors really complement the gun by slowing down the bastards while taking pot shots at them.

Oh, and it paints the area nice and quickly.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I'm the roller that splats evil!
(I use the white ninja squid shirt, but that shirt is basic as gently caress)

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

That's a good looking outfit... you should embrace it. Be fresh, and take advantage of a reduced Sprinkler cost.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Reiley posted:

That's a good looking outfit... you should embrace it. Be fresh, and take advantage of a reduced Sprinkler cost.

Preferably once i can reroll secondary abilities (and add a third slot to the octoling shirt, can you do that?) i'll get rid of those def ups and get main weapon ink saver and faster ink absorption because the dynamo roller likes to poo poo out ink like an inkling on salmonella.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

ElMaligno posted:

Preferably once i can reroll secondary abilities (and add a third slot to the octoling shirt, can you do that?) i'll get rid of those def ups and get main weapon ink saver and faster ink absorption because the dynamo roller likes to poo poo out ink like an inkling on salmonella.

You can add slots to anything that doesn't have three slots, and you can't reroll stats until you have three slots, so you can plan around those facts.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
Mildly off topic main gamewise, but my kid has decided that his birthday party has to be a splatoon one. I was never one for birthday parties/games as a kid myself so I wondered if you guys had and ideas for party games? He'll be 8 and were using his grandma's garden so actual paint guns are out.

I figured splitting hm and his friends into teams with small brushes/ rollers and giving them time challenges to colour in massive pictures in that teams paint. Like 5 pictures, 30 seconds each?

Water pistols/ baloons are also options too but again unsure of games outside of em just running wild.

Any ideas?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Get some alive squid in buckets for the children to play with. It would be great fun.

Also, hit them with paint rollers so they can experience what it ouwld like to really be an Inkling.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
I can say with certainty that Super Soaker & water balloon fights are both what the kids want, and guaranteed to end with at least one party guest in tears.

Children, y'know?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Agent_grey posted:

Mildly off topic main gamewise, but my kid has decided that his birthday party has to be a splatoon one. I was never one for birthday parties/games as a kid myself so I wondered if you guys had and ideas for party games? He'll be 8 and were using his grandma's garden so actual paint guns are out.

I figured splitting hm and his friends into teams with small brushes/ rollers and giving them time challenges to colour in massive pictures in that teams paint. Like 5 pictures, 30 seconds each?

Water pistols/ baloons are also options too but again unsure of games outside of em just running wild.

Any ideas?

Does the outside of grandma's house need painted? Or any of the rooms in her house? Put those squid/kids to work!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

AmiYumi posted:

I can say with certainty that Super Soaker & water balloon fights are both what the kids want, and guaranteed to end with at least one party guest in tears.

Children, y'know?

Maybe with some kind of coloring that won't stain.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Get them all white clothes like in the splat fest and fill squirt guns with water mixed with food coloring.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

What if you got a boombox and had it play songs from the game?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
If you get the Squid Sisters to play live your kid will lose his mind.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

So would I, honestly.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I know your team is supposed to ink their own base, but when? I usually charge straight for the center of the map as quickly as I can, but I feel like I might be making a mistake by never inking my own base unless I'm covering enemy ink.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

demota posted:

I know your team is supposed to ink their own base, but when? I usually charge straight for the center of the map as quickly as I can, but I feel like I might be making a mistake by never inking my own base unless I'm covering enemy ink.

Going for the center ASAP is a good idea for the start of the match; gain control and put pressure on the enemy, and then if/when you die (or have to jump back to the spawn point) cover up empty space behind your lines now that the initial rush is over and so you can build up some special meter you'll have lost after dying.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

demota posted:

If I've got a sprinkler, I throw one down on the spawnpoint (or somewhere else in the base if it's a confined spawn like Arowana Mall), and then ride someone else's ink trail to recharge the ink lost from that. Gets decent base coverage without slowing down your push on the middle.

But without a sprinkler? Like Roland said, just push the middle and come back to clean up when you die or have some downtime.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Icedude posted:

If I've got a sprinkler, I throw one down on the spawnpoint (or somewhere else in the base if it's a confined spawn like Arowana Mall), and then ride someone else's ink trail to recharge the ink lost from that. Gets decent base coverage without slowing down your push on the middle.

But without a sprinkler? Like Roland said, just push the middle and come back to clean up when you die or have some downtime.

This is a particularly good tactic with the 96 Gal because it can put you in a good position to launch an echolocation soon after taking the middle.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Zelder posted:

So would I, honestly.

Yes, seeing some squids dressed up and singing would make me loose my mind

demota posted:

If none of the kids are inking home base then my squid will usually ink it and build up its special meter. Then my kid will take gander whats going on the the middle and try to flank the enemy squids. If there are kids inking home base then I will take my squid the long way to the middle, to build up its special meter and then splat enemy kids.

Also I am tempted to use my motorcycle boots as an excuse to dress up like a squid. run around like a kid. tell people im a squid, who is also a kid, but its actually a squid, but kinda looks like a kid.

Also since i forgort to post mil dogges you get to have three pictures of cattes and two of dogges.

quote:

Here, Mars III on the left, and Muggins, the feline to the right, sharing space on board a cutter sometime in the 1920s.

quote:

An unnamed dog is making sure that the cat is not shirking its duty.

quote:

Cats seem to have been the more popular mascot for the cutters serving in Alaska! Here's an unnamed young fellow making sure this commander is keeping a steady course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

is there anywhere to buy splatoon shirts in the US that aren't crappy print on demand ones? I liked the ones the dev team was wearing in the iwata asks here http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/splatoon/0/0

• Locked thread