Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Doctor Butts posted:

Yea, under those circumstances I think it is wholly irresponsible for his father to give him a gun, and I don't know enough to say it was criminal of him to do so- but I'd like to think it is.

I'm just saying I don't want it to be prohibited completely.

Needless speculation: for all we know the dad knew something was gonna happen with the gun.

site fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
edit: nm, was posted last page

Joementum fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 19, 2015

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

This is weird to say but the pope's been on fire on Twitter, dude's spitting some real hard truths. I wonder if any republicans will have an "are we the baddies?" revelation when they realize that they feel compelled to denounce him because his "treat others and the world better" platitudes are so contrary to current GOP policies.
The best we can hope for at this point is that he has an influence on younger minds that are still forming their own political beliefs. Once you've crossed over and become "the man," it gets a lot harder to give up the "gently caress you, got mine" lifestyle.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I was listening to Fox News on my way home and they are already spinning his letter to the faithful.

"Liberals are going to pick and choose what they want to use out of this document as long as it supports their causes. They will ignore the ONE PAGE (out of 80+) that talks about respect for life and being against abortion."

See, look at those liberals!

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

"Deified market"

https://twitter.com/Pontifex/status/611579165154762752

:drat:

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

This is weird to say but the pope's been on fire on Twitter, dude's spitting some real hard truths. I wonder if any republicans will have an "are we the baddies?" revelation when they realize that they feel compelled to denounce him because his "treat others and the world better" platitudes are so contrary to current GOP policies.

Not a chance, most US Roman Catholics are Democrats anyhow. The religious right is mostly evangelical protestant shitheads who don't actually give a single flying gently caress about Christ's teachings so much as they do using their faith as a cover for their rear end in a top hat political views. If there is ever a conflict between their faith and their politics then their politics win every single time.

Edit: You know I was curious because I had always assumed Catholic voters were mostly Democrats, but apparently according to Wikipedia it's only 50% D to 48% R (2012) so I guess it's actually nearly the same.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 19, 2015

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Which makes me suspicious of the parents since they aren't talking. What does the inside of that house look like? Had the dad heard any of this? Before or after he gave the gun to his son?

These questions have been brought up in here already but still, ugh. I hope this whole thing calls more (law enforcement) attention to white power movements again.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Berke Negri posted:

Nobody ever listens when the Popes say stuff like this either, which is actually constantly.

Here is an interesting read related to this. http://www.newrepublic.com/article/122056/last-time-conservatives-dismissed-major-encyclical-it-ended-terribly

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the night, “We had a shooting this morning in South Carolina What kind of person goes into church and shoots nine people? There’s a sickness in our country, there’s something terribly wrong, but it isn’t going to be fixed by your government. It’s people straying away, it’s people not understanding where salvation comes from. And I think that if we understand that, we’ll understand and have better expectations of what we get from our government.” ~ Rand Paul

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

Has anyone else been reading the replies? I'm looking forward the inevitable compendium of butthurt responses to papal tweets.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

UberJew posted:

The religious core of the republican party is evangelical protestantism that already considers the pope the black goat of satan or w/e the gently caress.

They've been moving away from that, or at least doublethinking it into insignificance, since John Paul II was big against communism back during the Cold War and got made a hero of Reagan-esque proportions at the time for contributing to its downfall.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, “We had a shooting this morning in South Carolina What kind of person goes into church and shoots nine people? There’s a sickness in our country, there’s something terribly wrong, but it isn’t going to be fixed by your government. It’s people straying away, it’s people not understanding where salvation comes from. And I think that if we understand that, we’ll understand and have better expectations of what we get from our government.” ~ Rand Paul

The irony here being that you can break down the structural causes behind this as being exactly the governments fault and blast the hell out of this while simultaneously making an aggressive pitch to nonwhites without deviating one iota from libertarian principles. The ghetto is public policy after all, and the racist bullshit he was spouting comes directly from hundreds of years of the government propaganda defending racist institutions.

But then empty rhetoric as thin cover for racial oppression is the real libertarian principle so....

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 19, 2015

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Jeedy Jay posted:

Has anyone else been reading the replies? I'm looking forward the inevitable compendium of butthurt responses to papal tweets.

Sassing the Pope on twitter is an excommunicationable offence.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fried Chicken posted:

The irony here being that you can break down the structural causes behind this as being exactly the governments fault and blast the hell out of this while simultaneously making an aggressive pitch to nonwhites without deviating one iota from libertarian principles. The ghetto is public policy after all.

But then empty rhetoric as thin cover for racial oppression is the real libertarian principle so....

Maybe. Or perhaps Rand is correct that the people shot while literally praying in a church were looking to the government for salvation. :shrug:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Everyone knows liberals see the government as god, after all

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Joementum posted:

Maybe. Or perhaps Rand is correct that the people shot while literally praying in a church were looking to the government for salvation. :shrug:

Well like they keep saying in Fox, there is no way we will ever know his explicitly stated motives

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

site posted:

Which makes me suspicious of the parents since they aren't talking. What does the inside of that house look like? Had the dad heard any of this? Before or after he gave the gun to his son?

These questions have been brought up in here already but still, ugh. I hope this whole thing calls more (law enforcement) attention to white power movements again.

They're currently tidying up the house

(from an australian white supremacist who was just got busted selling drugs to the aboriginal population)

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

From a few pages back, but this entire article is worth the read.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Phone posted:

(from an australian white supremacist who was just got busted selling drugs to the aboriginal population)

This is exactly what I'm picturing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phone posted:

That's like a comedy white supremacist. I love how he even has tiny little Confederate flags just thrown up on random places on the walls, like he just had some empty space and couldn't stand it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Senate invoked cloture on the NDAA, the Defense Appropriations bill, today, 84-14.

Senators Flake and Kaine wanted to add an amendment that expressed the sense of the Senate that there ought to be an authorization of the use of military force against ISIS.

The amendment was ruled non-germane.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Phone posted:

Jesus, they're really taking some disturbing directions in this Knight Rider reboot. :stare:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Phone posted:

Jesus Christ, Australia, a Trans Am? Disgusting.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Lol and Confederate flags, my guess is that Australian Nazis are just copying American Nazis and then cranking everything up another notch.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Stereotype posted:

I think a more interesting thing that happened today was that the Pope, leader of 1 billion Catholics, called capitalism bad, said that humans are destroying the earth, and called for a revolution.

I'm glad we can all focus on guns and murders instead though.

The ecumenical patriarch, basically the other pope, did so as well.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

chitoryu12 posted:

That's like a comedy white supremacist. I love how he even has tiny little Confederate flags just thrown up on random places on the walls, like he just had some empty space and couldn't stand it.

Wrong. Look at the fan. :allears:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phone posted:

Wrong. Look at the fan. :allears:

Oh my God.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Joementum posted:

Meanwhile, the stand-alone TPA bill got a 218-208 vote in the House, which is exactly enough votes to pass. 28 Democrats joined the Republicans on the vote.

How does this effect the TAA precondition the Senate had hashed out earlier?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Jagchosis posted:

How does this effect the TAA precondition the Senate had hashed out earlier?

Well, now the Senate has the chance to vote on a stand-alone TPA bill, which Democratic Senators have promised to block.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Cynthia Roldan, the P&C political reporter up here in Columbia who tweeted that picture and was told to get the hell out, is a POC herself (Puerto Rican). And visually distinguishable as such, so she's getting kinda ballsy chasing down potential other white supremacists in the middle of nowhere down here.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Axetrain posted:

Not a chance, most US Roman Catholics are Democrats anyhow. The religious right is mostly evangelical protestant shitheads who don't actually give a single flying gently caress about Christ's teachings so much as they do using their faith as a cover for their rear end in a top hat political views. If there is ever a conflict between their faith and their politics then their politics win every single time.

Edit: You know I was curious because I had always assumed Catholic voters were mostly Democrats, but apparently according to Wikipedia it's only 50% D to 48% R (2012) so I guess it's actually nearly the same.

You probably got confused because some of the most diehard Democrat states are also heavily Catholic. For example, Massachusetts is 44.9% Catholic, Rhode Island 44.3%, New Jersey 36.8%, Connecticut 35%, New York 32.4%, Illinois 28.4%.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Crain posted:

Eh, I actually have a hard time calling something like this a simple fact of mental illness. ...You can also commit these kinds of atrocities when blinded by hatred, which seems to fit this kid to a tee.
In this particular case I'd agree with you. A better public metal health system probably couldn't of stopped this since not only was it motivated (as you noted) by hate but it also appears the kid's father bought him a gun which he probably couldn't of gotten on his own legally. It probably would've stopped other shootings (ie. schools) though and any sort of reduction in mass shootings is a very good thing.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

In this particular case I'd agree with you. A better public metal health system probably couldn't of stopped this since not only was it motivated (as you noted) by hate but it also appears the kid's father bought him a gun which he probably couldn't of gotten on his own legally. It probably would've stopped other shootings (ie. schools) though and any sort of reduction in mass shootings is a very good thing.

Yes. I should clarify that I'm not against expanding mental health access.

It's just that I'm seeing a lot of people trying to just push this as "Nope nothing untoward here in relation to the obvious political motives here! Just a CRAZY PERSON! DO NOT CONTEMPLATE THE EFFECT THAT RIGHT WING PROPAGANDA HAD ON THIS CASE!" by focusing heavily on mental health.

Not saying anyone here is doing that either.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Better mental health care (and its entwined cousin of domestic violence assistance care) wouldn't touch this case, but it would vastly reduce other classes of gun violence.

This particular case was a political assassination of a black leader by a domestic terrorist. That would only be resolved by a very long term racial reconciliation policy or intelligent policing that focuses on societal disruptions based on verified data. I'm not optimistic on those solutions.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

whitey delenda est posted:

Cynthia Roldan, the P&C political reporter up here in Columbia who tweeted that picture and was told to get the hell out, is a POC herself (Puerto Rican). And visually distinguishable as such, so she's getting kinda ballsy chasing down potential other white supremacists in the middle of nowhere down here.

Which picture?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fried Chicken posted:

That would only be resolved by a very long term racial reconciliation policy or intelligent policing that focuses on societal disruptions based on verified data. I'm not optimistic on those solutions.

They are trying the latter in the UK.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

All 50 US states fail to meet global police use of force standards, report finds

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Phone posted:

Which picture?

Sorry, thread is flying. The pic of roof's house.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Fried Chicken posted:

Better mental health care (and its entwined cousin of domestic violence assistance care) wouldn't touch this case, but it would vastly reduce other classes of gun violence.

This particular case was a political assassination of a black leader by a domestic terrorist. That would only be resolved by a very long term racial reconciliation policy or intelligent policing that focuses on societal disruptions based on verified data. I'm not optimistic on those solutions.

Do we know it was an assassination? I mean, obviously I'm not trying to belittle what happened, but was the senator the target or was he just there? I haven't heard anything either way on that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

McDowell posted:

They are trying the latter in the UK.

My understanding was that the UK was recreating the Economic League's index card system to target and crush "troublemakers" (read as: employees who know their rights) with the force of the state behind it now, not that they were using advanced data mining to identify threats and weighting them appropriately with the focus on harm reduction rather than class based property protection,

I mean I'd be happy to be wrong, but I thought Michael Grove was in charge and he brings a newer, sadder meaning to the phrase "frighteningly retarded"

• Locked thread