Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fried Chicken posted:

My understanding was that the UK was recreating the Economic League's index card system to target and crush "troublemakers" (read as: employees who know their rights) with the force of the state behind it now, not that they were using advanced data mining to identify threats and weighting them appropriately with the focus on harm reduction rather than class based property protection,

I mean I'd be happy to be wrong, but I thought Michael Grove was in charge and he's a loving moron

Yeah, I just mentioned they were trying it - not that it isn't completely bollocks'd.

Front page content

I'm a trans-ethnic Briton.

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

site posted:

Do we know it was an assassination? I mean, obviously I'm not trying to belittle what happened, but was the senator the target or was he just there? I haven't heard anything either way on that point.

I recall reading somewhere that was was specifically asking for the pastor when he arrived, though I've been reading way too much to remember where. If true, it certainly lines up with him choosing such a conspicuous target (the church, at least), and his alleged comments to his roommate.

Whether we'll ever get true confirmation I guess depends on him. I suspect the conspiracy theories will still be flung around constantly and certain folks will continue to pretend it was an attack on christianity out of convenience.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

site posted:

Do we know it was an assassination? I mean, obviously I'm not trying to belittle what happened, but was the senator the target or was he just there? I haven't heard anything either way on that point.

I'm going with targeting a prominent symbol of black freedom and leadership to undercut the power base of a locally prominent black leader at an event dealing with resistance to black oppression, with the knowledge that there is a high probability said black leader will be there to be killed, all for the greater goal of elimination black leaders and sources of organized power and leverage the resulting racial fear to a political advantage as being close enough to qualify for the term assassination. You are completely welcome to disagree, I am drunk after all (and if that comes off as me being a snide rear end in a top hat rather than with the sincerity I mean it, consider my statement re: drunkenness)

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
Looks like Roof waived his right to an attorney, which means that he may plan on representing himself. Which would certainly be interesting to witness.

Also, if he was not legally allowed to purchase a firearm (which may or may not have been the case, idk), could his dad be criminally liable for giving the gun to him?

sexy fucking muskrat fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 19, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Mr Jaunts posted:

Looks like Roof waived his right to an attorney, which means that he may represent himself. Which would certainly be interesting to witness.

Also, if he was not legally allowed to purchase a firearm (which may or may not have been the case, idk), could his dad be criminally liable for giving the gun to him?

If they charge him with terrorism like they should (it was an act to create fear he hoped would be politically leveraged towards his goal) then yes, the father would be open to being charged with material assistance to terrorism. If they don't then I think he is safe, but that's just the word of a guy in the Internet

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Finally, something pleasant about this whole awful situation. :allears:

I assume if he's representing himself we're going be subjected to long winded rants about his ideology and manifesto?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Klaus88 posted:

I assume if he's representing himself we're going be subjected to long winded rants about his ideology and manifesto?

Luckily this dude doesn't seem to be that well versed, so no 130 page PDF manifestos of PUA-lite garbage. Easy homework!

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Fried Chicken posted:

Better mental health care (and its entwined cousin of domestic violence assistance care) wouldn't touch this case, but it would vastly reduce other classes of gun violence.

This particular case was a political assassination of a black leader by a domestic terrorist. That would only be resolved by a very long term racial reconciliation policy or intelligent policing that focuses on societal disruptions based on verified data. I'm not optimistic on those solutions.

I need to add saying this guy needed mental health has the reverse effect of associating mental health issues as something only for crazy people when there's already a stigma to be fought in that realm as well.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mr Jaunts posted:

Looks like Roof waived his right to an attorney, which means that he may plan on representing himself. Which would certainly be interesting to witness.

Roof had already been convicted of felony possession of LSD and trespassing, and thus was legally barred from owning a firearm in the United States under any circumstances. His father bought the pistol for him as a gift; buying a gun for someone not legally allowed to own one is a straw purchase, also a felony.

Even if his son hadn't committed an act of white supremacist terrorism with that pistol, his father would be criminally liable just for giving the gun to him.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Roof had already been convicted of felony possession of LSD and trespassing, and thus was legally barred from owning a firearm in the United States under any circumstances. His father bought the pistol for him as a gift; buying a gun for someone not legally allowed to own one is a straw purchase, also a felony.

Even if his son hadn't committed an act of white supremacist terrorism with that pistol, his father would be criminally liable just for giving the gun to him.

What are the odds that this will be glossed over?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Aardvark posted:

Hasn't the family suffered enough?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

chitoryu12 posted:

Of LSD? Christ, you'd think he'd be a hippy or something.

The Aardvark posted:

Hopefully slim

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

The Aardvark posted:

Yeah, I'm not entirely confident that the father will get what's coming to him. But there's always hope.

site posted:

Of LSD? Christ, you'd think he'd be a hippy or something.

Well he seemed like such a normal young man, but he was charged with possessing suboxone, not LSD.

Also, apparently there was a custody dispute over him recently.

sexy fucking muskrat fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 19, 2015

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Aardvark posted:

i think it's actually likely something happens to him, his son assassinated a senator

i only think this cause i'm pretty sure that means this is being handled as a federal case not a state case but i already proved i don't understand the US court system once today so it's pretty likely i'm dumb to think that is real or matters

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mr Jaunts posted:

I really hope he gets on trial and just demands to take the stand then proceeds to spew out the most token right wing tea party racist poo poo possible while name dropping how his eyes were opened thanks to people like Beck and Limbaugh and fellow posters on /r/coontown or some other dark corner of reddit.

This kid wants to die for the cause so I'm really hoping he's kept confined while awaiting trial because if he's in with gen pop I give it 24 hours tops before he starts poo poo with the biggest black guy he can find in the hopes of getting beaten to death.

chitoryu12 posted:

Can we send the father to prison as well then? Please? He deserves at least that much if he bought a gun for his kid who couldn't legally own one.

Trabisnikof posted:

Hasn't the family suffered enough?

Not at all if this poo poo's true.

Mr Jaunts posted:

Yeah, I'm not entirely confident that the father will get what's coming to him. But there's always hope.

If he illegally armed his son who then murdered a state senator then he's a pretty slam dunk conviction any Tough On Crime prosecutor would love to get their hands on.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Klaus88 posted:

Absodamnlutely. He's pulling a Timothy McVeigh. Turn his trial into a big show to "educate" all the other whites, and have the government kill him to make his "martyrdom" "inspire" RaHoWa. And, of course, everyone is going to see what a repellent, disgusting ideology he's promoting, and marginalize it until it grows back up to a fever pitch in another 20 years or so.
:sigh:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

forbidden lesbian posted:

i think it's actually likely something happens to him, his son assassinated a senator

i only think this cause i'm pretty sure that means this is being handled as a federal case not a state case but i already proved i don't understand the US court system once today so it's pretty likely i'm dumb to think that is real or matters

It was a state level senator, not a federal senator. But I haven't heard yet that federal charges are being filed against this guy, though there was word that the FBI was involved, so it's possible.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It was a state level senator, not a federal senator. But I haven't heard yet that federal charges are being filed against this guy, though there was word that the FBI was involved, so it's possible.

It would be the only way he would be convicted of a hate crime.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

I'm going with targeting a prominent symbol of black freedom and leadership to undercut the power base of a locally prominent black leader at an event dealing with resistance to black oppression, with the knowledge that there is a high probability said black leader will be there to be killed, all for the greater goal of elimination black leaders and sources of organized power and leverage the resulting racial fear to a political advantage as being close enough to qualify for the term assassination. You are completely welcome to disagree, I am drunk after all (and if that comes off as me being a snide rear end in a top hat rather than with the sincerity I mean it, consider my statement re: drunkenness)

All of his friend and relatives should be arrested immediately.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

But only if his dad knew about the conviction and/or substance abuse. If I gift a gun to someone without knowledge that they are prohibited it's not a crime.

If you give a gun to a known drug addict or terrorist, a crime. If you gift a gun to someone you honestly believe is legally allowed to own a gun and then they go all terrorist, not illegal.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

But only if his dad knew about the conviction and/or substance abuse. If I gift a gun to someone without knowledge that they are prohibited it's not a crime.

If you give a gun to a known drug addict or terrorist, a crime. If you gift a gun to someone you honestly believe is legally allowed to own a gun and then they go all terrorist, not illegal.

His dad is lying.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Or do you think white supremacist terrorists just form out of the ether.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

mlmp08 posted:

I also heard that a wife and husband can't be charged of the same crime; I wonder if that works for a father and son.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

i mean, if they are looking at this as an act of terrorism than certainly the federal government would be involved.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm sure the dad who raised and armed a terrorist weapon is completely innocent.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Anime Curator posted:

i mean, if they are looking at this as an act of terrorism than certainly the federal government would be involved.

It's a clear act of domestic terrorism as defined by the patriot act.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

i don't think the dad will get away with a "didn't know" excuse. he's going to be investigated too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Aardvark posted:

Quite slim, I'm guessing. It would have been a felony no matter what, but his felony directly facilitated a terrorist attack that included the assassination of a state senator. The guy who sold Harris & Klebold the DC-9 for the Columbine Massacre was given 6 years for it; their friend who bought the shotguns and Hi-Point carbine only avoided prison time by cooperating with the authorities.

Regardless of the guy's cooperation, his mass murder included a politician. He'll be very, very lucky to avoid going up the creek.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Anime Curator posted:

i don't think the dad will get away with a "didn't know" excuse. he's going to be investigated too.

I'm sure he'll be investigated! Might even face probation or a fine!

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm sure he'll be investigated! Might even face probation or a fine!

alright.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why weren't dad and Roof ready investigated.

Why was there a serious breech in anti terror intelligence.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

euphronius posted:

All of his friend and relatives should be arrested immediately.

euphronius posted:

It's a clear act of domestic terrorism as defined by the patriot act.

so should they also have sent all of the tsarnaev family and friends to supermax or...?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

uncurable mlady posted:

so should they also have sent all of the tsarnaev family and friends to supermax or...?

Did they arm them?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Evil Fluffy posted:

I really hope he gets on trial and just demands to take the stand then proceeds to spew out the most token right wing tea party racist poo poo possible while name dropping how his eyes were opened thanks to people like Beck and Limbaugh and fellow posters on /r/coontown or some other dark corner of reddit.

This kid wants to die for the cause so I'm really hoping he's kept confined while awaiting trial because if he's in with gen pop I give it 24 hours tops before he starts poo poo with the biggest black guy he can find in the hopes of getting beaten to death.
Same here. And holy poo poo does that phrase sound so loving familiar.

Ceiling fan posted:

Absodamnlutely. He's pulling a Timothy McVeigh. Turn his trial into a big show to "educate" all the other whites, and have the government kill him to make his "martyrdom" "inspire" RaHoWa. And, of course, everyone is going to see what a repellent, disgusting ideology he's promoting, and marginalize it until it grows back up to a fever pitch in another 20 years or so.
:sigh:
Like seriously, if this fucker had gone and joined ISIL and shot up an Assyrian Christian church over there, he would have been called a terrorist and then blown up with a JDAM or shot by the Kurds/FSA in short order and that would have been it. No word twisting, no avoiding calling him a terrorist, no looking into his past, no giant hour-long news stories about him, nothing. He would have been just one more rear end in a top hat foreigner terrorist in the US's ISIL kill count, end of story.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

But also yes the brother was an accomplice and died.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

chitoryu12 posted:

Quite slim, I'm guessing. It would have been a felony no matter what, but his felony directly facilitated a terrorist attack that included the assassination of a state senator. The guy who sold Harris & Klebold the DC-9 for the Columbine Massacre was given 6 years for it; their friend who bought the shotguns and Hi-Point carbine only avoided prison time by cooperating with the authorities.

Regardless of the guy's cooperation, his mass murder included a politician. He'll be very, very lucky to avoid going up the creek.

I haven't actually seen anything officially stating that he's going to be charged with a terrorism offense or under terrorism statutes. He *should* be but . . .

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

euphronius posted:

Did they arm them?

im sure in some way they contributed to the radicalization of tamerlan

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

uncurable mlady posted:

im sure in some way they contributed to the radicalization of tamerlan

As I mentioned yes the brother.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

i mean this seems like more of a hate crime than domestic terrorism although I guess the line gets kinda blurry since the hate crime statutes have some stuff in them about terrorizing people or w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Apologies if already posted, NRA board member with a hot take:

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/06/18/3671649/nra-board-member-blames-charleston-victim-death/

• Locked thread