Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I want to set up a community server for my friends and I to do weird maps like the mirrored Inferno, Mirage, Nuke and Dust2 but it's been a pain in the rear end every step of the way. My current hurdle is getting told my server is out of date by the console but steamcmd says it's current after verification. :ghost:

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any sort of central forums for diagnosing weird poo poo with srcds so you google and find one off posts here and there that never seem to get resolved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Thorgot posted:

Of course, you see a lot fewer people playing on some community server types like gungame

Which makes me so sad. The servers still running gungame mods where you need to use every gun + he are a thousand times more fun than the arms race official mode.

aksuur
Nov 9, 2003

YouTuber posted:

I want to set up a community server for my friends and I to do weird maps like the mirrored Inferno, Mirage, Nuke and Dust2 but it's been a pain in the rear end every step of the way. My current hurdle is getting told my server is out of date by the console but steamcmd says it's current after verification. :ghost:

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any sort of central forums for diagnosing weird poo poo with srcds so you google and find one off posts here and there that never seem to get resolved.

Check with the admins of the servers in PGS.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

aksuur posted:

Check with the admins of the servers in PGS.

I got it running, I originally tried Linux Game Dedicated Server and it wasn't going well so I just did it by hand in srcds. Which was working up until the current patch came through. I tried LGDS again using my config files from srcds and it managed to patch itself and launch properly.

Success :confuoot: LGDS seems like a better option anyway. Backup has been made of the functional setup as well~

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm fairly new to this after playing tons of 1.6 and CSS. What exactly does kicking a player in a competitive match do? I've been kicked in both my games today for:

1) Not voting to kick a guy who joined a match then started shrieking KICK ME I HAVE TO GO in his mic for 20 minutes
2) Not voting to surrender in a match where we were down 6-3.

Am I missing some sort of CSGO common courtesy thing or something?

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Goetta posted:

I'm fairly new to this after playing tons of 1.6 and CSS. What exactly does kicking a player in a competitive match do? I've been kicked in both my games today for:

1) Not voting to kick a guy who joined a match then started shrieking KICK ME I HAVE TO GO in his mic for 20 minutes

Sounds about right.

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.
I just had to spend 45 minutes in a game with 3 people on my team named Horse Fucker, with all of them having avatars of horses loving people. I'm not sure why there is no way to block someone's avatar.

Even worse, they were full-buying every round.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Nev posted:

Even worse, they were full-buying every round.

Thats disgusting.

a racist pole
May 16, 2015

Goetta posted:

It depends on your ranking I guess. I'm Gold Nova Master and the only problems I see are people that full buy every round, or people that don't use/have a mic. Typically it is a combination of the two.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
I'm a LEM and if you aren't full buying every round you're doing it wrong.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Bohemian Nights posted:

You can do it!

Man, the more I play, the more keen I become on the idea of having a proper team to do leagues and such with. I have one likeminded and equally tryhardy friend who I used to play clanbase 1.6 with, but actually making the effort to find 3 more regulars, likely a decade younger than us, is not the most alluring prospect- and since we're so limited on hours in CS:GO, I can't imagine any moderately decent squad would bother to take us in. Think I'm gonna try to keep shaking the ring rust until after summer, then see how I feel about it once work slows down again.

e: gosh, another video on how underrated the sg553 is. Just gonna leave this link right here. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS6QsnCz61o

As a kreig fan I'd love to be able to watch more than 15 seconds of this but unfortunately this guy has the charisma of a raw oyster

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

down with slavery posted:

I'm a LEM and if you aren't full buying every round you're doing it wrong.

If my team is bad and we're losing and there's zero effort to coordinate buys of any sort I end up doing a whole lot of kevlar/famas buys.

On the other hand, I want to claw my eyes out when I see MGEs buying vest/helm/bizon. Like what the gently caress are you even doing. I was really hoping I'd at least see reasonable buying strategies as I began to climb the ranked ladder.

Essentially, MG1 is the new silver elite master. Except then I went back and watched a game from when I was silver four and oh my god nevermind I was so bad. I saved the game because it was my first competitive ace, 5k with bizon against a fullsaving team on militia. It took me almost 100 bullets to get an ace against unarmored opponents. what.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

The Blue Caboose posted:

If my team is bad and we're losing and there's zero effort to coordinate buys of any sort I end up doing a whole lot of kevlar/famas buys.

On the other hand, I want to claw my eyes out when I see MGEs buying vest/helm/bizon. Like what the gently caress are you even doing. I was really hoping I'd at least see reasonable buying strategies as I began to climb the ranked ladder.

Essentially, MG1 is the new silver elite master. Except then I went back and watched a game from when I was silver four and oh my god nevermind I was so bad. I saved the game because it was my first competitive ace, 5k with bizon against a fullsaving team on militia. It took me almost 100 bullets to get an ace against unarmored opponents. what.

The bizon is really good against unarmored.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Are there any good non-Valve 64 tick FFA/DM's out there? I'm very consistent in FFA/DM always able to do well and click heads and then I drop into a MM game and it just doesn't feel like it used to. The sad thing is I know it's not nerves because I don't really care that much but going to 64 tick is all I can think of that changes. I find myself relying on movement and SMGs instead of clicking heads in MM. It feels bad.

Danyull posted:

Has anyone been having really lovely lag problems since the last update? I pretty much lose every single fight that revolves around corners because people will just pop out about 5 feet away from it whenever they peek.

I had a few games where I would get matched, join and instantaneously lag out and get dropped. A few lag spikes in one or two games since. I honestly chalked it up to my lovely ISP though.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I played a match with 4:3 stretched and ended up top-fragging. I guess this is my life now.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i once top fragged even though my internet disconnected 3 times in a game. looks like i better start turning off my modem in clutch situations

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

prom candy posted:

I played a match with 4:3 stretched and ended up top-fragging. I guess this is my life now.

No, you're playing a game largely based off luck. You just got lucky.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

So since my last post about lagging and seeing people jump around sometimes instead of walking, this now happens all the time with everyone teleporting 10 feet in any direction the entire match, what fun! All the sounds also lag together so they all go off at the same time at a regular interval. Thanks for the quality update Valve.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Are other multiplayer games working fine for you? I haven't had any issues with lag lately.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Yeah, I can play GTAV and ESO with no problem, seems to only be Counter Strike.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

The Blue Caboose posted:

I should probably stop using the UMP every round then before I rank up...

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
csgo makes me want to cry

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
These guardian missions are a neat idea, but I think they're kind of annoying. Bots, being bots, will sometimes instadink you, but most of the time they're dumb as bricks. Then every third round one of them would just wander around outside the area I could go, so I had to wait for them to remember what they were supposed to be doing.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 19, 2015

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I just aced twice in a match while sitting on my couch in my underwear. :smug:

I go to download the match and it's corrupted :qq:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

reverieeee posted:

csgo makes me want to cry
New thread title please.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Counter Strike: Global Offensive - *inaudible cry*

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Played a game that started out really fun--we were 6-0, I was playing out of my mind, and one of our guys was goofing around. Good times. Except he was still goofing around when we were 6-3, and 7-7, and 11-13 or whatever. He completely lost us the game. Really frustrating.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Elysiume posted:

Played a game that started out really fun--we were 6-0, I was playing out of my mind, and one of our guys was goofing around. Good times. Except he was still goofing around when we were 6-3, and 7-7, and 11-13 or whatever. He completely lost us the game. Really frustrating.

It's just a game, you're meant to enjoy it and have fun, not be all serious. Get over it.

:suicide101:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
It seems valve has hosed up silent aim with the recent patch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiT7KnKYYIY

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

fennesz posted:

I just aced twice in a match while sitting on my couch in my underwear. :smug:

I go to download the match and it's corrupted :qq:

There is a window of time after the match finished but before the game server sends it to the valve storage servers. Trying to download the demo during this windows results in that message. Just wait 5 minutes and try again.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
the krieg is bad and you should feel bad

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Jeza posted:

the krieg is bad and you should feel bad

Feeling bad is the natural state of the cs player anyway

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I don't get why someone would queue for competitive just to goof around. Play to have fun keep it light, sure, but there are a million other modes if you don't actually feel like trying your hardest to win.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

prom candy posted:

I don't get why someone would queue for competitive just to goof around. Play to have fun keep it light, sure, but there are a million other modes if you don't actually feel like trying your hardest to win.

MM rank has no value.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

prom candy posted:

Stop caring about rank so much and just have fun.

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

MM rank has no value.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet to annoy people and goof off?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
It's not about rank at all, it's about playing a structured game mode where everyone is supposed to be trying to win. It's like showing up to rec league sports just to goof off. Yeah the game doesn't really matter but it doesn't mean no one cares.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Never queue with less than 5 imo

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

prom candy posted:

It's not about rank at all, it's about playing a structured game mode where everyone is supposed to be trying to win. It's like showing up to rec league sports just to goof off. Yeah the game doesn't really matter but it doesn't mean no one cares.

It turns out you can have fun and be trying to win at the same time. Did you consider that the person goofing around might be on an alt significantly lower than their real rank or that if you lose a game because somebody else is having a good time that it's worth it because having fun in a video game is worth infinitely more than getting your rank to one more level of nobody gives a poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Theres no point complaining about solo MM. You know the risks going in.Get and maintain friends if you dont like it.

• Locked thread