Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

the second spider is some kind of orb weaver or close relative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I didn't take this picture, but I saw it on the Weather Network website of all places and thought you lot would enjoy it:

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I wonder if it was after the woodpecker's eggs or if woodpeckers are just smart enough to know that squirrels are assholes/

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Red Queen posted:

smart enough to know that squirrels are assholes/

The only animal dumb enough to not realize this is humans

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

nice picture, but please don't turn this into PYF wildlife pictures.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

The "Queenfisher" (the female Belted Kingfisher I've been following at Arcata Marsh since she fledged last summer) has returned after pairing off with a male and leaving in March. I'm on the lookout for fledglings, but in the mean time she's really enjoying the schools of smelt that gather around the tidal sluices at this time of year.

queenfisher-wings by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

queenfisher-hovering by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

I finally got up close to one of the kites in my neighborhood that I frequently see hunting when I drive home during the evening.

vole-wild-ride by Redwood Planet, on Flickr
It looked like it was taking the vole back to a nest in a distant pine tree (they usually eat them on a perch near their hunting territory unless they're feeding a mate or hatchlings).

This raccoon was foraging around the edges of Klopp Lake (a tidal pond at Arcata Marsh). I think it might have been looking for shrimp, since that's the only thing I've ever seen birds pull from the rocks there.

raccoon-klopp by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

It's late in the season, but we have a couple new flocks of Mallard ducklings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT5emgQZN8I

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

A jackalope

Lepus americanus by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

this little baby box turtle was in my back yard next to the birdbath. I suspect a bluejay or squirrel or something must have dropped him there, as there are no adult female turtles living in the yard and no signs of a nest nearby. he plainly didn't travel very far on his own; his eyes were actually still glued shut with what I assume was egg gunk when I found him.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

^^^ Holy poo poo, he's a cute little guy :kiddo:

I don't care how common Red-Tails are, they still look cool.

Red-Tailed Hawk by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Bubbacub posted:

^^^ Holy poo poo, he's a cute little guy :kiddo:

I don't care how common Red-Tails are, they still look cool.

Red-Tailed Hawk by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Wait...

This ISN'T a Moon Potato post?

gently caress you both.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Bubbacub change your name to Earth Potato

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
I saw a very unusual (for me) butterfly recently:

It was quite big and beautiful and I dont know what it is!

Also saw this froggy:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

that's no butterfly, that's a lime hawkmoth! beautiful creatures :3:

IllCamino
Oct 9, 2010

You poke 'em on!
I've been using my CCTV camera to keep an eye on these house finches.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Baby birds are so fukken ugly :allears:

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Caught and released this bad boy from an old house today

Only registered members can see post attachments!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

anotherblownsave posted:

Caught and released this bad boy from an old house today

Baby birds are so fukken ugly :allears:

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Baby birds are called bees.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack

vaguely posted:

that's no butterfly, that's a lime hawkmoth! beautiful creatures :3:

Ah yes that makes sense! I have been seeing their larvae around about every other year, nice to finally see what they become!

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Black tailed deer fawn.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Koboje posted:

I saw a very unusual (for me) butterfly recently:

It was quite big and beautiful and I dont know what it is!

Also saw this froggy:

Lime hawk moth/Lindsvärmare (Mimas tiliae) and Moor frog/åkergroda (Rana arvalis).

The frog could possibly be a common frog /vanlig groda (Rana temporaria), but moor frogs have a more pointed nose like the one in the picture, but they're not that easy to tell apart.

Everyone, please post the location when you post pics if you want an id.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Dread Head posted:

Black tailed deer fawn.

Usually the moms at least TRY to hide them. This one's momma must not be very smart, or just hates her babies.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
It was the middle of a gravel road that is somewhat busy! We shoed it off the road as we already flagged 2 cars down that nearly hit it.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

DNova posted:

Baby birds are called bees.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
they're reptiles :pseudo:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

The Red Queen posted:

Usually the moms at least TRY to hide them. This one's momma must not be very smart, or just hates her babies.

They've gotten lazy as poo poo now that they don't have to worry about mountain lions and wolves anymore.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

They still have to worry about coyotes pretty much everywhere, and bears in a lot of places (for fawns).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bubbacub posted:

They've gotten lazy as poo poo now that they don't have to worry about mountain lions and wolves anymore.

That's what you think.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

OneTwentySix posted:

They still have to worry about coyotes pretty much everywhere, and bears in a lot of places (for fawns).

It was laying in the territory of its most dangerous predators (cars)

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Found this guy in my backyard. Banana Spider, I'm told. Excuse the crappy pic, the wind was picking up and I was concerned I'd end up wearing him.

Crash_N_Burn fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jun 18, 2015

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

yep, aka the golden silk orb weaver Nephila sp. :3:
their webs are absolutely beautiful and so effective that they can catch birds and small reptiles, a Good Spide
(and that's a her, male Nephila are insanely tiny)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

That one is Nephila clavipes. Beautiful things!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:siren: double post! :siren:

This killdeer was creeping around while we were observing horses. It didn't really like us being around, but apparently not badly enough to pretend to be crippled.

These dumbasses are still alive somehow.
(either mule or white-tailed deer. I don't know how to tell the difference and they're both still juveniles)

Disregard my comment about squirrels a few posts back because this fucker owned and just chilled on a branch like a foot from my head while I waited for a horse to take a dump.
(American red squirrel)

Phiddipus sp.? It's not in my field guide :saddowns:. Click for a better look because imgur's cropping tool also shrunk it for some idiot reason.

Also horses:

This poor bastard has a deformed right hindleg. The guide I was with figured he broke it when he was young and somehow survived to adulthood.

More of him:

A more flattering shot of the headbanging horses I posted earlier:

Finally a commentary on horse digestive systems:

Click all pics for super huge-rear end yadda yadda

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Critterquesters, I'd like your help. My favorite bird call that I hear all the time is "EEWEE!" "EEWEE!" What bird makes this sound? It's a kind of a whiny call. I live in Massachusetts, outside Boston. I thought it was a Mockingbird, but I'm not 100% sure.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Might be the Pewee. They're cuties.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Might be the Pewee. They're cuties.

It's a cutie and I've heard them, but that's not it. It's a much more whiny sound. Try making the EEEEEEE sound of a mosquito with your mouth, but then say "EEWEE". That's exactly the sound they make, nasally whine and all.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

try the birding thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3566028

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Captain Invictus posted:

It's a cutie and I've heard them, but that's not it. It's a much more whiny sound. Try making the EEEEEEE sound of a mosquito with your mouth, but then say "EEWEE". That's exactly the sound they make, nasally whine and all.

I can't keep track of who's who in this thread so I apologize if this is a really stupid question to ask you but are you 100% sure it's not a frog?

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

That's a good guess; a lot of times it's easy to think it's a bird, frog, or insect when it's one of the others, but MA has no frogs that sound like that. Hyla cinerea's call (green tree frog) can could be described as "EEWEE," but I can't think of any others; I didn't see any when I went over MA's native species.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

Critterquesters, I'd like your help. My favorite bird call that I hear all the time is "EEWEE!" "EEWEE!" What bird makes this sound? It's a kind of a whiny call. I live in Massachusetts, outside Boston. I thought it was a Mockingbird, but I'm not 100% sure.

Make the sound into a mic so that we can help and laugh at you and help.

• Locked thread