Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Abe Frohman posted:

I pretty much always kick archers as I walk by. I think it's expected. Also tubby knights when they are being all slow in front of me.

Actually, next time I play, I'm going to make a point of kicking an archer every time I spawn. And I'll tell everyone it brings good luck, like rubbing a leprechaun's head or something.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

A lot of people should learn to keep good spacing between teammates. So many people want that kill so badly that they just go flying in front of their teammates, and then whine when it gets them killed.

This is especially true with the wild vanguard swinging. The horizontal swings with some of those long slow vanguard weapons can be ridiculously devastating when the guy knows how to drag properly. They can keep the whole enemy team at bay and just mow people down left and right. The kind of damage they can do is just stupid sometimes. But then you have teammates blindly charging in and getting killed as well, and then they complain about all the drat lmbing. Instead of blaming someone else they should keep proper spacing, and try to flank, or stop the enemy from flanking.

Don't stand next to or behind a friendly vanguard. Vanguards are supposed to be right on the front line keeping the enemy at bay with their long reaching weapons. If they do nothing but stabs and overheads they will be a lot more vulnerable to counterattacks. And vanguards are gonna be doing those helicopter swings no matter how good they are, so it's best to just keep your distance.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Fine, guess i'll just run around screaming and putting bardiches in peoples faces until it's no longer fun. Is there some way to change my in-game name to something proper medieval though?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Ya gotta do it through steam out of the game and then relaunch. I miss the good ol' days of "changename" console commands.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
That works, thanks!

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
What's your name on steam? A friend and I play and would love a third man.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198088852114

I will slaughter with you guys!

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Inside Out Mom posted:

What's your name on steam? A friend and I play and would love a third man.

Woah woah woah. Who said we were friends?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Friends don't let friends maul drunk.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Orv posted:

Friends don't let friends maul sober

much better.

Orv
May 4, 2011
No argument.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
So Cliffdiver and I are in the Ball Fondlers room on the Camping the Stairs mumble. Come join us!

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Inside Out Mom posted:

So Cliffdiver and I are in the Ball Fondlers room on the Camping the Stairs mumble. Come join us!

Camping the Stairs mumble?

poo poo I don't even know if I still have a computer mic anymore.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Yup. If we're playing we'll most likely be in that room. Had fun last night. Will have some vids from it. If you don't like my vids IDGAF

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Here's some new videos featuring Cliffdiver and myself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1if3dojW60M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agPxyP87X0Y

I like to think there was some improvement from one vid to the next. The first video is from one the early attempts at mastering the Maul.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I switched from Archer/ Man@Arms to Knight and my kill to death ratio improved by several magnitudes. It's like a whole new game, and it didn't take me long to unlock the maul and sword of war (I prefer the sword, even if the maul gets more kills)

Orv
May 4, 2011
So what the gently caress did they do to the UI, I can't even tell if I lost all my items or what I need to do to fix that because this UI is loving trash.

E: Oh they baked the actual functional weapon selection into those cards that don't look like they have buttons. Alright, whatever.

Orv fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 20, 2015

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

How do you play with an Agatha model for Deathmatch?

Also, I've decided the best strategy in this game is to run into a group of enemies. By the time you're dead they will have all either tk'd or severally damaged each other, then they start to vote each other out.

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 20, 2015

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Inside Out Mom posted:

Here's some new videos featuring Cliffdiver and myself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1if3dojW60M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agPxyP87X0Y

I like to think there was some improvement from one vid to the next. The first video is from one the early attempts at mastering the Maul.

Overhand swing is king.

@Orv: Yeah the UI didn't do me any favors either. It took me a few games to realize I could click on the weapon boxes to switch.

The Interloper
Jan 11, 2010

- dig that bunky feat -
Salad Prong
I finally got around to trying this out the other day after having it in my library for months. Played MW, went on the newbie servers and had some great fun killing and being killed.

DW of course doesn't have newbie servers, and the only populated one with good ping had 6 or so 'pros' who kept it on lockdown the whole time. They weren't votespamming or preventing other people from joining like some I've heard about, but it was still impossible to play because they wouldn't fight each other and would just team up to slaughter everyone else with their weird instant spins and superfast movement, then dick around dueling with each other (and trying to miss as much as possible) to run out the timer on every round. Also they bitched for like a minute straight when there was a match that wasn't LTS.
It was pretty blatant, especially when one of the weaker 'pros' who'd joined not long before got killed early-game by another pro. He complained in chat about it and the second guy apologised, saying "Sorry, I thought you were a noob."

From what I've been hearing, this stuff is even more common in MW. I know the usual suggestion is just "git gud", but I've been reading a bit and frankly it sounds like a very unfun way to play, too. Not sure I'm interested in that even if it is the """real""" way to play the game.

What I'd really like to do is rent a server for each game and have it specifically for low-level or casual play, whatever you want to call it, with none of the MLG 'pro' competitive stuff. It would need to be my own server because I know nobody else is going to enforce something like that.

What I want to know is if any folks here would have any interest in such a thing. It would be a UK server I'm afraid.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
I've never seen anything like that in regular chiv at all. DW attracts some hosed up characters, from what I understand.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

The Interloper posted:

I finally got around to trying this out the other day after having it in my library for months. Played MW, went on the newbie servers and had some great fun killing and being killed.

DW of course doesn't have newbie servers, and the only populated one with good ping had 6 or so 'pros' who kept it on lockdown the whole time. They weren't votespamming or preventing other people from joining like some I've heard about, but it was still impossible to play because they wouldn't fight each other and would just team up to slaughter everyone else with their weird instant spins and superfast movement, then dick around dueling with each other (and trying to miss as much as possible) to run out the timer on every round. Also they bitched for like a minute straight when there was a match that wasn't LTS.
It was pretty blatant, especially when one of the weaker 'pros' who'd joined not long before got killed early-game by another pro. He complained in chat about it and the second guy apologised, saying "Sorry, I thought you were a noob."

From what I've been hearing, this stuff is even more common in MW. I know the usual suggestion is just "git gud", but I've been reading a bit and frankly it sounds like a very unfun way to play, too. Not sure I'm interested in that even if it is the """real""" way to play the game.

What I'd really like to do is rent a server for each game and have it specifically for low-level or casual play, whatever you want to call it, with none of the MLG 'pro' competitive stuff. It would need to be my own server because I know nobody else is going to enforce something like that.

What I want to know is if any folks here would have any interest in such a thing. It would be a UK server I'm afraid.

I host a server for this reason, though the server I host is a mod server. Admining MW is great because you can bait trolls into really revealing themselves and then ban them with impunity. MW really does have a terrible community but there are some rays of light.

If you do host a server, may I recommend SimRai? They host mine, at $0.50USD/slot. I pay $5 a month for a 10 man server.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I've played this game for 500 hours and I've only ever experienced something like that once. Especially with the summer sales you're infinitely more likely to run into the opposite problem of servers full of newbies having no idea what's going on and doing massive team damage. Your fears are almost completely unfounded.

e: you can do very well on public servers just by having good aim and timing and knowing how to block/riposte. It's not necessary to master all of the weird gimmick moves.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 25, 2015

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
You may also have some bad luck with the server you chose. Some of the small ones i'll get votekicked as soon as i am lucky and kill the regulars a bit too much, without me ever saying a word or doing any teamdamage.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
FFAs can get a bit incestuous like that in the main game, especially when it's been a while since there were any new players. I don't think I've seen anything as overt as that guy's story, but people refusing to kill each other and just dicking around- and teaming up against people that do run in trying to actually fight- happens pretty frequently.

It doesn't define the game really but it happens often enough that it's something to be aware of. Just change servers I guess.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I probably should have added that I don't much like FFA or LTS and play TO almost exclusively.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I've encountered players from opposing teams that just dick around during Team Objective maps, especially that Middle Eastern one where Agatha attacks the gates, courtyards, and eventually the palace.

Players hang out around the boat house, which happens to be the route you need to take to get in through the sewer and attack the enemy from behind. I've been kicked for attacking the dicking-around-enemies and had my own team try to get in the way of my attacks, which gets that team damage up, which is all other players seem to look at.

Worst community of any game I've ever played.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

As someone stuck playing on the Australian servers, I feel like Chivalry has some kind of bizarro-community where Aussie players are less dickish than their American counterparts.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's a poo poo community in Europe as well. On the other hand, the game is so visceral that it's surprisingly easy to get frustrated.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
It's hit or miss with jerks. I've had some team damaging dorks but calling them out and vote kicking them seems to work. I've also had myself team switched because I was killing the locals too efficiently. That's like a rarity though. Most nights it's just fun head smashing.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwgabdT4avM

Overhead swing is indeed king. This is from last weekend.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Christ that fish-eye FOV looks awful.

Cool video otherwise though! Well, I suppose some might argue that 7+ minutes of maul overheads and headsplosions is too long, but I was entertained.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Yeah I know the FOV isn't perfect. I've been messing with it to find a happy balance. But on my monitor it doesn't look too bad. I just find I'm able to judge distances a bit better like that.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Inside out mom, we can make a split screen video where I'll spectate you and then give that footage to you and you can edit it in so it looks even cooler and more fun. Overhead smashes are the best. Wading into a large skirmish only to smash everyone is quite satisfying.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
I'm all for this.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

It's a poo poo community in Europe as well. On the other hand, the game is so visceral that it's surprisingly easy to get frustrated.

Visceral and frustrating definitely describe my experience as a new player.
I played on some mod servers the other day and it was a cool change of pace. Giant Slayers was fun until all the good players got on one team and three King Kong sized dudes just camped our spawn massacring everyone. Then anytime I would almost get frustrated in a Black Knight game the sight of dudes hobbling around with one arm trying to punch people would make me laugh. The ridiculousness of both experiences made it less frustrating I guess.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I forgot how fun this game is, and that it even existed until summer sale. Played easily 500 hours back in the AoC day, so I feel like I got a head start against my foes.

Also, any archer that's more than 30 feet away from a skirmish is doing it wrong. Abusing the tiny arc of sling and shortbow to shoot over allies heads and secure kills. And javelin archers can stand toe to toe with heavy knights.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hell, Archers with knives can toetotoe a knight

Kreittis
Jan 7, 2010

Foxhound? Houndfox.

Any archer can stand toe to toe with any enemy, thanks to their footspeed and the fact that shortsword is somewhat broken weapon. The stab, which is the fastest and most damaging attack with it, can 3 hit a vanguard with body stabs or 2 hit with face stabs. That combined with it's insane riposte speed that makes even the most seasoned players panic parry sometimes makes it one hell of a weapon.

Also, if you want to play sniper, this isn't a game for you. Get close, get good, get kills. Applies to archers too. Don't be afraid of learning how to melee, that bow will not carry you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I am a terrible goddamned shot with a Bow. So the only time I play "Sniper" Archer is when I'm sporting a crossbow big enough to ruin other Archers.

Javelins are also pretty funtimes sweet and probably the fastest I ranked up any weapon type.

• Locked thread