Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

The Dominion AI just went Adventurer with 1 treasure in his deck (a copper). After that I signed up so I could skip to the other sets.

Prosperity is more fun, but the AIs sadness becomes even more apparent as you get more cards... Just won 181 to 42 in a Goons/City game. You could run up the game up to 1000 or so if you were patient with Goons I think - the AI doesn't like ending the game if you're ahead, so you could just empty every pile at at 10 VP a pop (assuming the computer didn't buy Goons, which it does seem to sometimes).

In the game's defense: I haven't seen the technical issues some have. The game has crashed once, and sometimes the UI flakes out (it'll randomly jump to another map, and exiting the tutorial didn't work) but generally it runs OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Queen Games just launched a Kickstarter for a third Kingdom Builder expansion! Another dumb kickstarter, why is that exciting? Well, on BGG Donald lets us know that their contact expires if they don't get a product to market by the end of the month! And that they haven't yet paid him for 2014, so he isn't feeling particularly generous!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Jedit posted:

Dark Moon.

Thanks!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Oldstench posted:

This has been a nice mail-day for me :)

Unpunched :smugdog:

The unpunched Magic Realm is loving impressive. I spent the better part of two years camping eBay to find a reasonable copy for a coworker, and ended up with one that looked like the box went through a washing machine.

MR has some interesting ideas that I'd really like to see reimplemented in a new game--the chit system and some elements of the combat system, in particular. But several elements come down to a dicefest buried underneath a mountain of bells and whistles. Particularly the searching and looting mechanics. Roll to see if you find the treasure site! Oops, looks like you didn't find anything and you wasted your actions.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Poopy Palpy posted:

Queen Games just launched a Kickstarter for a third Kingdom Builder expansion! Another dumb kickstarter, why is that exciting? Well, on BGG Donald lets us know that their contact expires if they don't get a product to market by the end of the month! And that they haven't yet paid him for 2014, so he isn't feeling particularly generous!

Hmm. I have the big box and we've really warmed up to the game as a good drinking and reggae chill timez game. Wonder what this means for the game. He said in the past that he had submitted 2 expansions to Queen a while back

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Poopy Palpy posted:

Post this on BGG and see who white knights for Queen Games.

But geez, that's super scummy. I'm surprised there hasn't been a bigger backlash about that, since it's not like DXV is a no name shut in hermit of a designer.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I think I'm good with my Kingdom Builder expansions, I don't need anymore. I have the last two.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Lorini posted:

I think I'm good with my Kingdom Builder expansions, I don't need anymore. I have the last two.

How are the expansions? I'm not particularly in anything that adds complexity, I think the game doesn't need it. I'd basically just want more power tiles, maps, and scoring objectives.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Post this on BGG and see who white knights for Queen Games.

But geez, that's super scummy. I'm surprised there hasn't been a bigger backlash about that, since it's not like DXV is a no name shut in hermit of a designer.

There is a thread on bgg (i stalk dxv posts there): https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1387830/kingdom-builder-marshlands-stealth-announced/page/2

Also, Kingdom Builder is on Tabletop today so that should make things even more interesting!

unpronounceable posted:

How are the expansions? I'm not particularly in anything that adds complexity, I think the game doesn't need it. I'd basically just want more power tiles, maps, and scoring objectives.

That's pretty much what they are, yep. They add some basic mechanics based on whether the expansion maps are in your game or not, but nothing that radically changes the skeleton of the game. Like Dominion expansions. We literally learned how to play the expansions in between wrapping up a base game and it was no problem.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Also, Kingdom Builder is on Tabletop today so that should make things even more interesting!

http://wilwheaton.net/2015/06/tabletop-kingdom-builder-and-screwing-up-the-rules/

lol

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Holy poo poo lol. What did they screw up?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

couldn't he just like, read the rules?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The Kingdom Builder rulebook is six pages long. Including the list of components. And about half of it is pictures.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/3aaydx/kingdom_builder_tabletop_paul_scheer_yuri/csb4mms

quote:

I have to agree with you. Our producer who was responsible for making sure we didn't make these mistakes completely hosed up, and didn't do his job. There is absolutely no excuse for how many times this happened in Season 3, and I'm furious about it.
It hurts the whole show, it hurts the game designer, and it ultimately embarrasses me to loving death.

:munch:

Maybe he should hire another producer to do the bus throwing under duties for him :smug:

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Don't they shoot like 5 episodes a day? You try keeping that many games' rules straight while also making a TV show.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Durendal posted:

Don't they shoot like 5 episodes a day? You try keeping that many games' rules straight while also making a TV show.

If you cannot successfully play five board games in one day while making a TV show, then you should not make a TV show that features you playing five board games in one day.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
They're screwing up games like Kingdom Builder and Coup. Whoever is keeping their rules straight is either terrified of telling nerd celebrities they did something wrong or drinking way too much on set.

To be fair, if I had to listen to Wil Wheaton make zombie noises for 12 hours straight I'd hit the bottle pretty loving hard too.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I'm sure they hired some opposite of nerd production crew from LA for cheap who has no idea what the gently caress any of them are talking about on any of their episodes.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

fozzy fosbourne posted:

That's pretty much what they are, yep. They add some basic mechanics based on whether the expansion maps are in your game or not, but nothing that radically changes the skeleton of the game. Like Dominion expansions. We literally learned how to play the expansions in between wrapping up a base game and it was no problem.

I remembered seeing some pictures, and seeing a bunch of new pieces, and some extra cards in addition to the three you play with, and was a bit concerned that they were adding too much. If it's just more of the same, I might pick one up at some point.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

unpronounceable posted:

I remembered seeing some pictures, and seeing a bunch of new pieces, and some extra cards in addition to the three you play with, and was a bit concerned that they were adding too much. If it's just more of the same, I might pick one up at some point.

I'd just read the rules for the expansions, they are very brief

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I can't help but feel the production of that show is designed to set everyone up for failure. I've read rulebooks front to back multiple times and still hosed things up in the game because players ask legitimate questions you can't answer immediately and you have no context for how the game operates until you actually pick up the pieces. This guy's job might be to read the manual and relay that information, but if he's not playing the games himself he's going to make mistakes. If they had multiple people going through the rules their accuracy would shoot up, how is this a difficult concept?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

It says something about Wil's enthusiasm for the whole thing if he can't be hosed to pick up a small booklet between recording sessions or prepare in any way.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Wil Wheaton is the most insufferable person in the world of gaming, and that's saying a lot when we have a community where this guy is prominent

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Stelas posted:

It says something about Wil's enthusiasm for the whole thing if he can't be hosed to pick up a small booklet between recording sessions or prepare in any way.

I some weird, masochistic way, I would love to see them do Mage Knight. It would be gloriously horrific.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Wil Wheaton is the most insufferable person in the world of gaming, and that's saying a lot when we have a community where this guy is prominent

I agree rutibex needs to just calm down about talisman

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Tippis posted:

I some weird, masochistic way, I would love to see them do Mage Knight. It would be gloriously horrific.

The Campaign for North Africa :getin:

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Holy poo poo lol. What did they screw up?

I only watched a little bit but they were using the power tiles immediately instead of having to wait until the turn after they acquire them. Not sure if they did anything else wrong.

That's one of the very few rules Kingdom Builder actually has. This is a game Wheaton has recommended in multiple articles. I find it pretty bizarre that he'd blame someone else for screwing up one of like 3 rules for a game he presumably owns and has played before.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I assume that Will reads through the rules but relies on the producer to tell him when he's loving up.

I don't blame the producer for being overwhelmed.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Bubble-T posted:

They're screwing up games like Kingdom Builder and Coup.

I'm almost afraid to ask how they messed up Coup.

It comes with tiny reference sheets that tell you every rule the game has!

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

SkeletonHero posted:

I'm almost afraid to ask how they messed up Coup.

Someone was challenged when calling captain and revealed that they did have a captain. Instead of shuffling it back in to the deck before drawing a new card they chucked it out face up with the cards people had lost from lying/assassination. Not sure if they got anything else wrong but that's a pretty basic and important error.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I just played Kingdom Builder, Tobago, and 2 games of Condottiere with a literal 12-year-old who only got one rule wrong once. What I'm saying is that Will Wheaton is less intelligent than a child.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

I might contact them about hiring my 4 year old, he can already teach people to play Patchwork and Sushi Go.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I've played Cuba Libre with my eleven-year-old sister

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Okay, enough of this nonsense. I don't particularly like Table Top, but y'all have clearly never worked on video production. I have, and I do. And let me tell you.

Doing five shoots a day is loving gruelling, even for "easy" work like playing a board game. It's hot, it's miserable, and you have to be on for an extended period of time. And the performers and the director have a hundred other things to worry about.

How do I look? Do I look like I'm enjoying myself? Am I slouching? Am I shadowing my face in the studio lighting? Am I making sure I don't have resting bitchface while I think about my next move? Am I enunciating clearly? Am I projecting enough for the boom or lavalier to get a good pickup? Oh, the PA is flagging me down. We need to back up and redo this play because we want a clearer shot of the hand placing the piece.

You ever play in a day-long Magic or Netrunner tournament? You know the mental burnout it can cause? Now imagine you're under 100 degree Fahrenheit lighting, with weak air conditioning because a decent AC unit is too loud for the mics. Now imagine you have to look good doing it. Now do it every day, ten hours a day, for 1-2 weeks of shooting. Add half an hour to production time every time you gently caress up. Your skull feels hollowed out by day two. By day four, someone could punch you full in the face and it would take a minute to even register.

Now remember all of the rules to all twenty of the games you're doing this week, and keep track of three other new players and their mistakes. You'd gently caress up the procedural rules for Candyland. This is why film crews hire production assistants. Because yeah, this poo poo is easy, but there are a lot of easy things you can't do while juggling chainsaws.

Meanwhile, this producer is sitting on the sidelines. Today, the main focus of his job is keeping the rules straight. When he fucks up, yeah, that's just laziness or negligence. And you can only take the blame for this shitass so long before you want to throw him under an actual bus.

(And before anyone says it: No, I and my employer are not in any way affiliated with Wil Wheaton, Felicia Day, Table Top, or Geek & Sundry.)

(EDIT: Okay, that's not entirely accurate. My employer works heavily in tradgames, we've had tertiary crossover work. I've met the guy and worked a couple of the same events as him. But he doesn't sign my paychecks and couldn't pick me out of a lineup, is what I'm saying.)

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 19, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
You're right, video production is hard. But he handled like a grade A Jackass. Because that's what he is.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Gutter Owl posted:

Okay, enough of this nonsense. I don't particularly like Table Top, but y'all have clearly never worked on video production. I have, and I do. And let me tell you.

Doing five shoots a day is loving gruelling, even for "easy" work like playing a board game. It's hot, it's miserable, and you have to be on for an extended period of time. And the performers and the director have a hundred other things to worry about.

[…]

Meanwhile, this producer is sitting on the sidelines. Today, the main focus of his job is keeping the rules straight. When he fucks up, yeah, that's just laziness or negligence. And you can only take the blame for this shitass so long before you want to throw him under an actual bus.
I think the point was that…

Lottery of Babylon posted:

If you cannot successfully play five board games in one day while making a TV show, then you should not make a TV show that features you playing five board games in one day.

Beyond that, looking at the live plays and the (not-actually-)unedited runs they've produced, the difference between those and the regular shows is shockingly small, to the point where the concerns you list don't seem like something they're all that concerned about. Sure, there's more editing and graphical aids in the proper productions, but the rest is about as lackadaisical no matter what.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 19, 2015

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Tippis posted:

I think the point was that…

The point is stupid. One person can't do a medium-production TV show by themselves. This is why TV shows are made by crews. This was a crew failure. The Performer isn't supposed to do the Script Supervisor or Continuity Editor's job for him.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 19, 2015

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
No matter what field you are in, when you publicly throw someone else under a bus it never puts you in a good light.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Gutter Owl posted:

The point is stupid. One person can't do a medium-production TV show by themselves. This is why TV shows are made by crews. This was a crew failure.

How does that in any way make the point stupid? You're saying pretty much the exact same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I don't have strong opinions about noted internet celebrity Wil Wheaton but I agree that the way he addressed the situation, by publicly bitching out this rules guru producer, seems like a lovely thing to do. Don't get me wrong, I love a good tradgame public bitching out, but I like it more when it's directed at people who do things like "are lovely assholes to freelancers and stiff them on their pay" or "ran off with the Kickstarter money to invest in homeopathic medicine scams" or something, not "I'm embarrassed that people keep calling me out for getting the rules wrong all the time so let me talk about how I'm going to accept full responsibility while simultaneously deflecting blame and throwing someone under the bus." That's not how accepting full responsibility works.

Remember, Don't Be a Dick.