Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

quote:

He said no other RPG today allow players to interact with objects in the world in the way that Fallout does.

The system that allows for this kind of interactivity, along with a new building system for Fallout 4, meant that Bethesda needed to dial things back in the graphics department.

"Everything that we do is a balance," Hines said. "We could make the best looking game possible, but we dial some of that back in order to allow for all of these other things."

If I'm reading this quote correctly, then there's going to be dials in the game and they're going to make us interact with all of them to change the graphics on the screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
As long as they don't mess with the PC version, I'm fine.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I'm a little disappointed that there were no Pip-Boy Editions available anywhere in Canada except, somehow, from Best Buy.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

:sigh:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Canuck-Errant posted:

I'm a little disappointed that there were no Pip-Boy Editions available anywhere in Canada except, somehow, from Best Buy.

I also love how they're sold out, just like everywhere else... seriously, did they only make 100 or something? Amazon looks like they may be getting them but it's odd how they don't yet.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I also love how they're sold out, just like everywhere else... seriously, did they only make 100 or something? Amazon looks like they may be getting them but it's odd how they don't yet.

This seems to be happening with every popular game thing all of a sudden. "We're making limited edition thing, get it now!" "whoops we only made like a thousand despite knowing the massive interest in this product. Sucks to be you guys who didn't sit there all night refreshing the order page!"

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I'm just not sure why they are refusing to ship it outside of the US - I don't know if they're trying to save stock for their largest market, or they can't get the logistics in place (which makes no sense) or if the inclusion of an electronic device somehow runs into trade restrictions or what.

Otherwise, I would've been buying it before Todd even stopped talking if I could.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

To be honest, I wish I could buy the pip-boy seperately , as I am planning on getting the PC version, and just want the pip-boy because it looks cool and would be neat for a costume.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

frajaq posted:

Jesus, like I know that Fallout 3 plot had many problems (not that it detracted my own enjoyment of this game), but I think this dude cares a bit too much about a successful game from 7 years ago. What is he trying to prove exactly?

only in the medium of videogames would someone doing a critical assessment of a popular work be accused of '[caring] a bit too much'

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Farm Frenzy posted:

only in the medium of videogames would someone doing a critical assessment of a popular work be accused of '[caring] a bit too much'
pretty much

even though he's overblowing a few factors in the article "haha you care about story in a videogame" is a pretty bad sentiment and is the main reason why we get bioware romance dialogue and press f to pay respects

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 19, 2015

Wilks Checkov
May 20, 2015

Member: Dual Universe Explorers

Alpha Participant in Dual Universe

Founder & CEO of the corporation: Allied Corporate States in Dual Universe

Lord Lambeth posted:

Fallout 4: Probably won't be as good as New Vegas

Watched the E3 presentation, I am willing to say, even bet, that it will be far far better. I mean we have customization options that are unheard of in any other part of the game series, let alone the new building system they have implemented.

This game definitely is on the top 10 of the games I will buy this year list... can not wait to have fun in the wasteland again...

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

pretty much

even though he's overblowing a few factors in the article "haha you care about story in a videogame" is a pretty bad sentiment and is the main reason why we get bioware romance dialogue and press f to pay respects

Which everyone then complaints about, but no one wants to actually be caught caring about quality in a videogame because Heh you care about games. :smuggo:

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

gamers want video games to be taken just as seriously as film and literature without the same amount of analysis, critique, and scrutiny they go under

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Farm Frenzy posted:

only in the medium of videogames would someone do a passionate critical assessment of something before it is even released

Nuebot posted:

So now people are getting in a frenzy on other sites because they might be downgrading the visuals some. I for one am absolutely shocked a game does not look 100% like its E3 presentation. Just scandalized!

I'm glad they aren't focusing on graphics in favor of other poo poo. I've always thought studios have been blowing too much of the budget on shiny graphics only to have a shallow game. Doesn't say they are downtuning what they showed at E3 at all.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Excuse me SMG has analyzed movies from just trailers, learn some poo poo.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

only in the medium of videogames would someone do a passionate critical assessment of something before it is even released
fallout 3 came out in 2008. it even says fallout 3 in the post i'm quoting. suck my dick. read before post.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Farm Frenzy posted:

I don't think anyone is writing a three-part essay about how they didn't like Bad Boys 2.

E:

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Mr Tastee posted:

I don't think anyone is writing a three-part essay about how they didn't like Bad Boys 2.

I promise you are very wrong.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Mr Tastee posted:

E:

mosey on over to cine discusso to see just that, friend. I'd respect people who like fallout 3 in this thread a lot more if they werent such loving pussies about it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Farm Frenzy posted:

mosey on over to cine discusso to see just that, friend. I'd respect people who like fallout 3 in this thread a lot more if they werent such loving pussies about it.

I loved Fallout 3. The story was meh but who gives a poo poo. I was pretty annoyed I couldn't kill my dad for abandoning me and I thought it was dumb as poo poo that Charon/Fawkes wouldn't harmlessly deactivate the reactor but whatever considering everything I had done for them the ungrateful bastards, but that was like 5 minutes out of 200+ hours.

It also had one if my favorite guns from any game ever, Lincoln's Repeater. The basic hunting rifle was boss as hell too, and the nerf it got in both rarity and power was a major letdown for me in NV

A lot of people whining about FO3 will also whine about Liberty Prime and can thus gently caress themselves because I want that robot as a best friend

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
No one wants to admit that no matter what we actually think about the game or how it turns out, Fallout 4 will sell enough to be a ridiculous success. It just doesn't matter. Even if we get the most ground breaking writing found in any form of fiction; even if we all are so over the moon by learning just how these post-apocalyptic societies function, from what they eat to how they poo poo, that our noses bleed from a week to ten days; even if Chris Avellone himself descends from Heaven above to pen every single conversation line so well that it touches our very lives and makes us all better people; even if every man, woman, dork and child came together to say that video games are cool, it just wouldn't matter because all the "important" reviewers will give Fallout 4 10/10s and Bethesda will make 10 times whatever they spent developing it from the stupid app alone. It doesn't matter if we love it or hate it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Farm Frenzy posted:

lol what even

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The amount of money that app is pulling in right now is mind-boggling. How much more do you think it's making than it was projected to make?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Crabtree posted:

No one wants to admit that no matter what we actually think about the game or how it turns out, Fallout 4 will sell enough to be a ridiculous success. It just doesn't matter. Even if we get the most ground breaking writing found in any form of fiction; even if we all are so over the moon by learning just how these post-apocalyptic societies function, from what they eat to how they poo poo, that our noses bleed from a week to ten days; even if Chris Avellone himself descends from Heaven above to pen every single conversation line so well that it touches our very lives and makes us all better people; even if every man, woman, dork and child came together to say that video games are cool, it just wouldn't matter because all the "important" reviewers will give Fallout 4 10/10s and Bethesda will make 10 times whatever they spent developing it from the stupid app alone. It doesn't matter if we love it or hate it.

in part because they have a record of making game of the year quality games over and over, and in part because it's pretty clear they aren't resting on their laurels and will be releasing a lot of poo poo in FO4 that other game companies are going to be playing catch-up with, again.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

I loved Fallout 3. The story was meh but who gives a poo poo. I was pretty annoyed I couldn't kill my dad for abandoning me and I thought it was dumb as poo poo that Charon/Fawkes wouldn't harmlessly deactivate the reactor but whatever considering everything I had done for them the ungrateful bastards, but that was like 5 minutes out of 200+ hours.

It also had one if my favorite guns from any game ever, Lincoln's Repeater. The basic hunting rifle was boss as hell too, and the nerf it got in both rarity and power was a major letdown for me in NV

A lot of people whining about FO3 will also whine about Liberty Prime and can thus gently caress themselves because I want that robot as a best friend

this is way better and more reasonable than people trying to attack that guy's character for critiquing the plot thanks

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Epic High Five posted:

The basic hunting rifle was boss as hell too, and the nerf it got in both rarity and power was a major letdown for me in NV

uuhh

Edit: New Vegas will always be best in the guns department since I'm a huge WW2 nerd and it had not just the unique Garand and the laser Thompson in the base game, but a regular M1A1 and BAR in the DLC. Still disappointed we never got a Browning .50 Cal, though.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 19, 2015

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
A lot of people are ragging on Fallout 3 for having 'bad' characters and a 'nonsensical' plotline, but I just started replaying it when the Fallout 4 news hit and two hours in I was half-dead and addicted to whiskey, sold a flamethrower I'd found on a corpse to a wandering doctor to cure my addiction, and then watched as she proceeded to equip said flamethrower and singlehandedly burn an entire raider camp to the ground.

What I'm saying is you have to make your own fun in Bethesda games.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Wait, we're talking about Seamus Young, right? Or am I getting my Fallout grognards mixed up?

Either way, being super hateful over Fallout 3 is a little silly. Criticism is good and essential to any artistic medium, but making developing that much anger over something with something for reasons other than it being harmful to society is going a little overboard.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Epic High Five posted:

The amount of money that app is pulling in right now is mind-boggling. How much more do you think it's making than it was projected to make?

Konami knows which way the wind is blowing.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Million Ghosts posted:

Excuse me SMG has analyzed movies from just trailers, learn some poo poo.

he is loving useless and should be banned post haste

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Blue Raider posted:

he is loving useless and should be banned post haste

On the other hand, he made the only funny posts in the Duke Nukem Forever thread.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Mr Tastee posted:

I wonder if the vault-tec guy you slam the door on comes back as a ghoul.

now that you mention that, all my money is on one of the companions/important npcs being a ghoulified former neighbor or acquaintance of the PC, and your dialogue options "fill in" the missing years of both your lives.

that and a sexy android being a companion

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

computer parts posted:

On the other hand, he made the only funny posts in the Duke Nukem Forever thread.

you clearly dont remember microwaves mom, which had nothing to do with his fag gimmick

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Has the Enclave ever controlled territory in the continental United States or have they always been a shadowy evil organization in the background? I have to say I'm not impressed with their plan to do nothing for decades and then get owned by random vault dwellers.

Sharkopath posted:

Once again console owners have stuffed everyone over..

I bet most console owners do 1 or some of these.. it's why they can't afford a computer

If people with consoles stopped smoking and drinking, and doing drugs, didn't buy tattoos or piercings and brought good computer stuff or just didn't buy the game.. everyone would be happy

i bet most these cheap noobs own expensive phones that aren't needed also

I hate them too: the PoS4 and the Xbone.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

They had that big base in Fallout 3 and were prepping to take over territory in Fallout 2; they already had the Navarro base on the continent. But basically they were overly concerened with mutation and were convinced they were the only real humans left so they were even more isolationist than the Brotherhood, so territory-grabbing took a backseat to "keep the United States, all one of them, pure"

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Moridin920 posted:

The alternative is to wait for it to be released and ceaselessly complain when it is too late to do anything about it. The bad news is that the announcement for this game came so late that it's likely already gold, so it is already too late to do anything about it, so w/e.

Though you seem to think of games as being like movies, but there's been plenty of cases where a minor tweet or forum post has lead to the inclusion of a feature or improvement because somebody voiced, get this, before the game was released.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I was ok with Enclave showing up on Fallout 3, but if they appear in Fallout 4 they better be Remnants-style like Fallout New Vegas or I will... well I'll continue enjoying the game as usual but will probably complain in this thread before forgetting about it

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Institute being a major player as was hinted in Fallout 3 might be pretty cool. I am all up for entirely new factions that aren't riffs on old ones appearing.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
My only problem with the Enclave in 3 was just that they were cartoonishly evil. They had borderline no redeeming value whatsoever, and the only character who outright supported the Enclave without actually being a part of them was some old guy in Megaton who, for no reason, gets captured and tortured by the Enclave.

Granted, he eventually comes back to Megaton and still spouts that he loves the Enclave, but that's just lazy programming. What I'm trying to say is that the Enclave mostly just feels evil for the sake of being evil in 3. If they decide to start running around and messing everything up in 4, I hope it's for a morally just yet misguided reason. Or they're just some neutral-party opportunists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

But they have cool-looking armor!

• Locked thread