Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Speedball posted:

They had that big base in Fallout 3 and were prepping to take over territory in Fallout 2; they already had the Navarro base on the continent. But basically they were overly concerened with mutation and were convinced they were the only real humans left so they were even more isolationist than the Brotherhood, so territory-grabbing took a backseat to "keep the United States, all one of them, pure"

The Enclave really is poo poo, how do you set up such a vast government conspiracy and have so little to show for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

frajaq posted:

But they have cool-looking armor!

Well you got me there. Good enough for 4, then.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Phlegmish posted:

Has the Enclave ever controlled territory in the continental United States or have they always been a shadowy evil organization in the background? I have to say I'm not impressed with their plan to do nothing for decades and then get owned by random vault dwellers.

I mean, you're talking about an extragovernmental group led by this gaylord...

...who I'm pretty sure is established as borderline retarded in Fallout 2. You have to remember that their plan for surviving nuclear holocaust was to literally use surviving technology to blast off into space and live on the loving moon.

So then a gurgling savage from Arroyo nukes their lovely little hideout in the middle of the pacific ocean and, naturally, their next course of action is to put the voice of Malcolm McDowell in charge of their remaining forces. In between purring about his imaginary dog "Honey" and the different types of wood you can make baseball bats out of, McDowell convinces the Enclave to gently caress off to Washington DC and harass more unwashed savages, primarily by poisoning their drinking water or some idiotic poo poo.

These are not bright people.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I killed him with Super Stimpacks, suck on that prez!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, I think that's kind of the point of the Enclave. They're remnants of something much bigger than they are, convinced they're still just as big as they used to be. If they're pathetic it's intentional. But they're not so pathetic that they can't totally ruin your day with pristine pre-War tech.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I hope the game has the powerfist and also a powerhammer that I can power-slam into super mutants

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Zzulu posted:

I hope the game has the powerfist and also a powerhammer that I can power-slam into super mutants

You can add a rocket to the back of your powerhammer so you can slam even harder

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mordaedil posted:

Though you seem to think of games as being like movies, but there's been plenty of cases where a minor tweet or forum post has lead to the inclusion of a feature or improvement because somebody voiced, get this, before the game was released.

for a AAA game? kinda doubt it unless it's something super minor. you guys are mad about things that are fundamental to the game; voice acting, main story, etc.

plus you're mad about things that may or may not make it to the final product. it's not like an announcement at E3 sets anything in stone.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 19, 2015

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

frajaq posted:

You can add a rocket to the back of your powerhammer so you can slam even harder

:jackbud:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Moridin920 posted:

for a AAA game? kinda doubt it unless it's something super minor. you guys are mad about things that are fundamental to the game; voice acting, main story, etc.
I've personally had input into changes made to NWN2 and Dragon Age: Origins. On these forums alone, I've seen people change New Vegas and Pillars of Eternity.

Why is this a problem anyway? Talking about a thing we have a problem with doesn't inconvenience you at all, so why do you care?

Moridin920 posted:

plus you're mad about things that may or may not make it to the final product. it's not like an announcement at E3 sets anything in stone.

It's six months away from release. It's in gold now, if you are not familiar with game development terminology, that means they aren't going to add new features or change anything but medium to minor bugs.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mordaedil posted:

I've personally had input into changes made to NWN2 and Dragon Age: Origins. On these forums alone, I've seen people change New Vegas and Pillars of Eternity.

Why is this a problem anyway? Talking about a thing we have a problem with doesn't inconvenience you at all, so why do you care?

It's six months away from release. It's in gold now, if you are not familiar with game development terminology, that means they aren't going to add new features or change anything but medium to minor bugs.

It's not a problem it's just funny because you're so emotionally invested that you've probably already got it pre-ordered for 25% off.

Mr. personally had input into NWN2 and DA:O and btw let me tell you about made up game development terminology. That's what I just told you; it's too late for your input to have any effect so why the gently caress are you bringing up the point that your input can have an effect?

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Moridin920 posted:

It's not a problem it's just funny because you're so emotionally invested that you've probably already got it pre-ordered for 25% off.

Mr. personally had input into NWN2 and DA:O and btw let me tell you about made up game development terminology. That's what I just told you; it's too late for your input to have any effect so why the gently caress are you bringing up the point that your input can have an effect?

Wow you're soooooooooo cool and detached, tell us more

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The Enclave was retardedly evil in Fallout 2 as well, so it really wasn't 3's fault for showing them in the wrong light.

Also, the main complaint is about the story, the part which is beyond done at this point and there's no way it will be changed. The complaints are also "don't be Fallout 3" which doesn't really help much.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

lol

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Moridin920 posted:

What you're saying is we should wait until after it releases to complain? I mean, I don't see the difference in waiting or getting it out there now. :shrug:

Effort post more plz.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

What you're saying is we should wait until after it releases to complain? I mean, I don't see the difference in waiting or getting it out there now. :shrug:

You would actually have something to complain about

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Bholder posted:

You would actually have something to complain about
That doesn't make any sense. If they announce a feature you don't have to wait until release to complain about it.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I like to think that Bethesda payed attention to the very good things that Obsidian put in New Vegas, and it will show up in Fallout 4 :unsmith:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I don't understand. :confused:

They aren't going to change the introduction when it releases from what it looks like now, so I don't see what the difference is between waiting and now.

Unless you just feel Fallout 4 is perfect in every way and you absolutely need to silence any criticism of your favorite developers because they can do no wrong by you.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
(Holds an envelope up to a comically large turban on head)

Improved gameplay, mediocre animations, faces with the consistency of warm clay, and a lovely, gay, idiotic storyline front-and-center like a retarded kid's drawing pinned on the fridge.

"Name four things that Fallout 4 will have."

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
A rushed QA bugtesting, an international release, a $60 price tag, and a day-one patch.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

gonna craft a flamethrower sniper rifle

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hahaha $60 it's £50 here.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Fallout 4 is so big its lead producer hasn't seen everything it has to offer

PC Gamer posted:

Bethesda's RPGs are notoriously sprawling affairs, but Fallout 4 looks set to be bigger than any other game in the series. According to the game's lead producer Jeff Gardiner, speaking at an E3 roundtable interview attended by GamesRadar, he's still finding new things in the Boston wastelands.

"I've played the game probably 400 hours, and I'm still finding stuff that I haven't seen yet," Gardiner said. "Maybe it never actually ends?"

Could a game truly go on forever without running out of content?

"If you were to ask me, I've never seen a game with a thousand hours of content before," Game director Todd Howard chimed in on the same topic. "But I think we've broken the two-thousand-hour mark with this one."

Gardiner later explained that several of the half-dozen Bethesda Q&A testers were getting "lost in the game". "They just keep finding new things to do. I used to think that it was really strange to hear about people who would go without eating or sleeping while playing WoW, but now we're starting to see the same thing with Fallout 4. One of the testers didn't even leave the office for several days."

"We keep finding things and going, 'did we put that in the game'? Nobody can say for sure. It's like the game took on a life of its own," Howard explains. "By the end of the day, we'll probably know less about this game than the average consumer playing it for the first time."

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

$80 in real money. Should have been an American :smug:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Didn't someone claim that Fallout 3 was going to have hundreds of endings?

Anyway, who gives a gently caress about dialogue or plot or characters or role playing or skills. What's really important is this: can we still pick up items in full view of the owner, carry them around a corner out of sight, then steal them? Because it's very important that I pinch everything that isn't nailed down, and do it in the most assholeish way possible.

Sharkopath posted:

The dude didn't even say anything about downgrades, he said their development was focused more on the mechanics and systems than their graphical fidelity.

You may be right but there's no time to find out what was really said we need to get angry about a video game right now.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

This is a lot of effort for a fakepost!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

This is not a good thing. That indicates to me that there's no oversight, that there's a lot of samey or repetitive stuff (which is part for the course when it comes to Bethesda open world games), and that you'll grow increasingly bored with the game long before you finish it. I tend to try and 100 percent or get close enough to such before I finish most games like these, and that starts growing frustrating around hour 100 unless the world is very neatly crafted. I highly doubt there's enough content in almost any game beyond something like Crusader Kings 2 to fill in a thousand hours of anything, let alone 500.

Edit: Oh, yeah, lots of words in there that wasn't in the actual article. For shame.

Still, 400 hours? Still way too much.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

OwlFancier posted:

£50 is worth about 80 American dollars.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

OwlFancier posted:

On the plus side our prices drop a lot quicker. Fallout III, New Vegas and Skyrim were all available for £20 by Christmas.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Exclusive Fallout 4 screenshot

http://www.tasnimnews.com/english/Home/Single/771819

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Fallout 4 costs over 100 Australian dollars, thanks Obama.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Fallout 4 is so big its lead producer hasn't seen everything it has to offer

Gardiner later explained that several of the half-dozen Bethesda Q&A testers were getting "lost in the game".
Come on now, be realistic.

Who would believe Bethesda has a QA department?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

Yeah, I don't understand. :confused:

They aren't going to change the introduction when it releases from what it looks like now, so I don't see what the difference is between waiting and now.

Unless you just feel Fallout 4 is perfect in every way and you absolutely need to silence any criticism of your favorite developers because they can do no wrong by you.

There's quite a bit of difference between seeing it and playing it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Bholder posted:

There's quite a bit of difference between seeing it and playing it.

What part of me playing the game changes how that introduction is going to play out? I mean, I don't have a problem with the character generation, the way you assign stats, the way the robot talks, the way the conversation system is set up nor how the gunplay is. All of those complaints I really can't address until the game is in my hands, so I'm not talking about those. One way they could have solved my issue with the wedlock thing would be to literally let you change the gender of the spouse as well as your character.

I just want that choice. I'm not even going to use it, because I'm just playing the role of the devil's advocate here.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
faces look better than in earlier bethesda games imo

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Mr Tastee posted:

Wait, we're talking about Seamus Young, right? Or am I getting my Fallout grognards mixed up?

Either way, being super hateful over Fallout 3 is a little silly. Criticism is good and essential to any artistic medium, but making developing that much anger over something with something for reasons other than it being harmful to society is going a little overboard.

Who's being "hateful" he's making fun of its dumb story. He's putting more effort into it than he should but then there are people in this thread who paid over $100 to get a pretend plastic Pip Boy.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Zzulu posted:

faces look better than in earlier bethesda games imo

Agreed, it looks fantastic. Not even mad that I won't be able to make hideous monsters anymore, but who knows, maybe the sliders can be pulled really far.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

Agreed, it looks fantastic. Not even mad that I won't be able to make hideous monsters anymore, but who knows, maybe the sliders can be pulled really far.

Even if you can't do it by default, mods will certainly help you out with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

You know it just dawned on me that Little Lamplight in Fallout 3 might be a reference to the tribe of feral kids in Mad Max 3: Beyond Thunderdome, having not seen that movie in years. Which is probably why people have such a huge problem with it, those kids are the primary reason people didn't like Beyond Thunderdome so why Fallout 3 decided to make a direct reference to it and also come under scrutiny as the weakest part of the game I do not know. If they wanted to reference that movie, they could have referenced Master Blaster or something.

• Locked thread