Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Personally, it's difficult to take Cameron seriously these days as he hasn't made a great movie since True Lies in 1994. It's easy for trailers to get the tone of the movie wrong, but watching the trailers has me a bit nervous.

Both Titanic and Avatar ae amazing films. I'm sorry your opinion sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

He is right though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Both Titanic and Avatar ae amazing films. I'm sorry your opinion sucks.

Avatar is visually amazing. The story is loving terrible.

"OH LOOK THE WHITE MAN COME TO TEACH THE NOBEL SAVAGES HIS WAYS BUT IN FACT IT IS THEY WHO WILL TEACH HIM."

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Rhyno posted:

"OH LOOK THE WHITE MAN COME TO TEACH THE NOBEL SAVAGES HIS WAYS BUT IN FACT IT IS THEY WHO WILL TEACH HIM."

Well, I mean, if they're Nobel savages how dumb can they be?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phylodox posted:

Well, I mean, if they're Nobel savages how dumb can they be?

:golfclap:

But seriously, why would my phone auto correct to that?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rhyno posted:

:golfclap:

But seriously, why would my phone auto correct to that?

Mine just flat out makes up words when I swipe then tells me that I spelt it wrong. Phones are assholes.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Helsing posted:

I think the big difference here is that the franchises you listed (with the exception of the Hammer era Dracula) started out movies that were intended to succeed on their own terms. After their initial successes they degenerated more or less quickly into tired old franchsies that relaibly cranked out sequels until they became unprofitable but the initial movies that started these genres were written and directed on their own terms.

It feels as though in contemporary Hollywood there's much more pressure to have every intellectual property be or immediately turn into a major franchise that accomplishes a checklist of elements. It feels as though movies of the past, while still very derivative, tended to provide more space for directors and writers to experiment or try new things. Ironically it would be much harder to greenlight the original Terminator in today's Hollywood universe because it wouldn't be plugging into a pre-existing franchise.

It's fair of you to point out that most of what I'm complaining about predates the internet or modern fan culture so I guess I should revise my claim to say that these things really haven't helped the quality of movies (which, if you were a naive observer, you might think that they would) even if they can't specifically be blamed for causing movies to be so lovely much of the time.

Because it's a branded product created to deliver a predictable amount of profit to it's investors. It's like saying that Vanilla Coke is "subversive" because it breaks with the old assumptions about Coca Cola's brand as a universal expression of American values that would be equally enjoyed by all without any variations in flavor. I mean yeah, in some very trite and irrelevant way you could claim that T2 is "subversive" toward T1 because the villain returns as the hero, but once you've used that maneuvere once that's it - repeating it again and again is not subverting anything, it's just a way for the producer/director/script writer to stimulate the audience in the pursuit of a proper return on investment.
That's a really cynical and myopic way to view modern cinema.

I mean yeah the corporate executives are going to make calculated business decisions to maximize profits, but that doesn't mean the filmmakers making the movie aren't going to try and have message in their movie along the way.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Personally, I'm seriously hyped about Terminator Genisys. The whole thing looks like someone sent in some fan-fiction to a movie producer and it got greenlit and given a big budget. I AM FINE WITH THIS.

Xenomrph... come clean... you wrote Genisys.

• It's going to give the fans a whole 20 minutes of Future War stuff, with the classic pink/purple plasma bolts, scarred adult John Connor, and the designs for the new HKs and the time machine are based on James Cameron's own concept art (and have shown up in numerous comics and games)

• It's doing a "greatest hits of Terminator" thing... not by simply recreating similar-looking fights and chases, but by using time travel to actually set the plot during the events of the first films. Extreme fan-service.

• Like the Sarah Connor Chronicles TV series, it's using time travel to erase the events of Terminator 3 and Terminator Salvation. Fans can therefore choose whether to include them in the canon (as an alternate timeline) or pretend that those movies never happened.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Back when I first heard about T3, I dug up some book that was supposed to be the sequel. The plot was based on some time travel fuckup where everyone sent back plus an extra terminator/guy, I think. It opened with a T800 popping up in a prison, causing a huge riot and prison break. In retrospect it was probably not that amazing, but there were some great action sequences. Does anyone know what the hell I'm talking about?

Anyway, I saw the Genesys trailer before Mad Max... I'm really curious how they'll make the old Arnie work as a Terminator. My first thought was that they were going with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEH9W2RdYn4 scene as canon and he'd just be a regular old badass on whom some terminator designs were based, but apparently he's just an :corsair: terminator...

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

your evil twin posted:

Personally, I'm seriously hyped about Terminator Genisys. The whole thing looks like someone sent in some fan-fiction to a movie producer and it got greenlit and given a big budget. I AM FINE WITH THIS.

Xenomrph... come clean... you wrote Genisys.

• It's going to give the fans a whole 20 minutes of Future War stuff, with the classic pink/purple plasma bolts, scarred adult John Connor, and the designs for the new HKs and the time machine are based on James Cameron's own concept art (and have shown up in numerous comics and games)

• It's doing a "greatest hits of Terminator" thing... not by simply recreating similar-looking fights and chases, but by using time travel to actually set the plot during the events of the first films. Extreme fan-service.

• Like the Sarah Connor Chronicles TV series, it's using time travel to erase the events of Terminator 3 and Terminator Salvation. Fans can therefore choose whether to include them in the canon (as an alternate timeline) or pretend that those movies never happened.
Hahaha no, I didn't write it.

Although a pretty big chunk of Jurassic World is really similar to a Jurassic Park sequel idea I posted on a bunch of forums (including this one, I think?) several years ago, so it was pretty entertaining seeing that movie shape up.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I know it's probably been mentioned, but it's so weird to me that now both Lena Headey & Emilia Clarke have played Sarah Connor and they are both on Game of Thrones. I really like the idea of Arnold with white hair as the old Terminator and this was my dad's (RIP) favorite series of movies next to Bond. He didn't live long enough to see Terminator 3, bless his soul.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

your evil twin posted:

Personally, I'm seriously hyped about Terminator Genisys. The whole thing looks like someone sent in some fan-fiction to a movie producer and it got greenlit and given a big budget.

This has sort of been my feeling about the movie. It also makes me think of a big-budget version of a decaying franchise from the 80s/early 90s. I know, it's literally that, but I mean more like something like an late 80s/90/early 00s horror/SF series that started out popular enough but every few years would constantly have some increasingly less-popular sequel in production and it would gradually end up as a direct-to-video or very low-budget and campy B-movie release or SyFy TV movie.

This movie feels like the the latter end of the spectrum, but instead of being filmed on a shoestring budget it's got a big one.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Jurassic World and Terminator Genesis are pretty interlocked in a few ways. One big one is obvious, big franchise rebuilding movies and all that.

I'm hoping they twin in another way. Jurassic World is apparently a very fun, entertaining movie, just with a super straight forward and simple as hell plot.

Terminator Genesis I'm hoping will deviate from that in terms of the plot and go full bullshit insanity time travel fuckery.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Burkion posted:

Jurassic World and Terminator Genesis are pretty interlocked in a few ways. One big one is obvious, big franchise rebuilding movies and all that.

I'm hoping they twin in another way. Jurassic World is apparently a very fun, entertaining movie, just with a super straight forward and simple as hell plot.

Terminator Genesis I'm hoping will deviate from that in terms of the plot and go full bullshit insanity time travel fuckery.

This might just be a matter of preference because I loving hate time travel, but "simple as hell plot" and "bullshit insanity time travel fuckery" seem mutually exclusive to me.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

I think the point he was making was that Jurassic World is "big, dumb fun". If Genisys goes nuts with the time travel silliness, that will also make it "dumb fun" as well, even though technically the plot is complicated.

I love time travel - the more absurd and convoluted the time shenanigans, the better. Ludicrous amounts of Terminator fan service combined with multiple time paradoxes means I'll probably be grinning like an idiot the whole way through.

I'd love it if they went all out and start doing things like Bill and Ted, or Timesplitters Future Perfect. "We need some way to get into Cyberdyne HQ!" "Well, we'll come back later and leave the keys behind this sign... aha! Here they are!" Or have the characters team up with themselves. Or realise that to prevent Judgement Day they have to assassinate themselves. Like that episode of Red Dwarf where they get Kennedy to be the gunman behind the grassy knoll.

mobby_6kl posted:

Back when I first heard about T3, I dug up some book that was supposed to be the sequel. The plot was based on some time travel fuckup where everyone sent back plus an extra terminator/guy, I think. It opened with a T800 popping up in a prison, causing a huge riot and prison break. In retrospect it was probably not that amazing, but there were some great action sequences. Does anyone know what the hell I'm talking about?

There are several different "Sequels to Terminator 2" books that I've stumbled upon on Amazon. Of course they are effectively just officially-licensed fan fiction, but I've always been curious about them, they tend to get decent enough reviews.

mobby_6kl posted:

Anyway, I saw the Genesys trailer before Mad Max... I'm really curious how they'll make the old Arnie work as a Terminator.

Although James Cameron wasn't involved in making Genisys, the filmmakers did talk to him before starting it and it was Cameron himself who suggested that if a Terminator was operational for many years that the human skin parts would age like a human. Apparently the movie is going to include old Arnie and even older Arnie.

Remember that Kyle Reese commented in the first film that the cyborgs are so human that they sweat and have bad breath. (And Cameron's original concept was that Terminators would also have a digestive system and would need to eat to feed their living parts. It was literally supposed to be an entire human body but with a machine skeleton and computer brain.)

Firstborn posted:

I know it's probably been mentioned, but it's so weird to me that now both Lena Headey & Emilia Clarke have played Sarah Connor and they are both on Game of Thrones. I really like the idea of Arnold with white hair as the old Terminator and this was my dad's (RIP) favorite series of movies next to Bond. He didn't live long enough to see Terminator 3, bless his soul.

I really enjoyed Lena Headey as Sarah Connor. I thought she nailed the character. Very weird having Emilia Clarke in the role, though I guess it works given that it's supposed to be T1 era Sarah rather than T2 era.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Sarah Connor Chronicles is secretly one of my favorite tv series cut short. Garret Dillahunt was awesome as Cromartie, and the show even made me feel like Brian Austin Green is a badass and that takes some doing. I binge watched it, though, so knowing how much time they had and seeing how much useless posturing the religious cop was doing that was looking for them made it frustrating to watch. Knowing I had X amount of hours of Terminator left, and X amount of time would be him knowing way less than the audience was excruciating.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I liked Sarah Connor Chronicles because it tried some new stuff with the franchise. Cameron was a pretty interesting character. They avoided the whole Pinocchio "robot wants to be a real girl" bullshit and made her somewhat relatable while keeping her just inhuman enough to be unsettling.

EDIT: It also had the most poignant depiction of 9/11 ever captured on film. Never forget. :911:

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 18, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phylodox posted:

EDIT: It also had the most poignant depiction of 9/11 ever captured on film. Never forget. :911:

You don't get to bring this up without posting the gif dude.

Edit: Arnold continues to be loving awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w81g199L8YA

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 18, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Phylodox posted:

I liked Sarah Connor Chronicles because it tried some new stuff with the franchise. Cameron was a pretty interesting character. They avoided the whole Pinocchio "robot wants to be a real girl" bullshit and made her somewhat relatable while keeping her just inhuman enough to be unsettling.

TSCC gets major points from me for having the balls to kill off a major character in a blink-and-you'd-miss-it scene.

They really got the whole vibe of "if a terminator is anywhere near you, you're hosed" down in that show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

I'd rather watch two hours of that than Genisys.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

WarLocke posted:

TSCC gets major points from me for having the balls to kill off a major character in a blink-and-you'd-miss-it scene.

They really got the whole vibe of "if a terminator is anywhere near you, you're hosed" down in that show.

That got points, but then immediately lost them by bringing that character back through time travel fuckery within, like, an episode. And then ending the show. Forever.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Phylodox posted:

That got points, but then immediately lost them by bringing that character back through time travel fuckery within, like, an episode. And then ending the show. Forever.

The cliffhanger was bullshit but they didn't bring Derek back, the guy in the cliffhanger was Kyle IIRC.

But oh man, season 3 would have been total :catdrugs:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

WarLocke posted:

The cliffhanger was bullshit but they didn't bring Derek back, the guy in the cliffhanger was Kyle IIRC.

Nope, they brought back both the brothers Reese. But at least Kyle had stayed dead for 25 years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

I'd rather watch two hours of that than Genisys.

I just want to hang out with Arnold and do stupid poo poo for an afternoon. He seems like he'd be so much fun to just bullshit with.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's a testament to Arnie's likeability that he can bang his maid, have a secret son and keep him secret for fifteen years, and somehow he's still seems like a cool guy.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 19, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snowman_McK posted:

It's a testament to Arnie's likeability that he can bang his maid, have a secret son and keep him secret for fifteen years, and somehow he's still seems like a cool guy.

Bill Clinton received his highest approval ratings when the Monica nonsense was going on. We like our heroes to have a little gritty realism on them.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rhyno posted:

Holy poo poo, just when Dwayne Johnson convinces me that he's the most chill guy ever, Arnold has to pull something like that.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

WarLocke posted:

But oh man, season 3 would have been total :catdrugs:

Long time since I've seen it, but I actually thought the last episode worked OK as a series finale rather than a cliffhanger to a non-existent season.

The T1001 takes John to the future and meets up with Kyle, Derek, and the human Summer Glau that the Terminator Cameron was based on. John asks to be taken to John Connor... no-one knows who that is.

Some people have interpreted that as "oh no, the future is screwed, CLIFFHANGER!" But my interpretation of it was that this was a few years before the end of the Future War (hence Summer Glau still being a human), and young John Connor was now going to stay in the future and end up becoming their leader.

I thought it was a decent ending. Over the course of the series he is supposed to have grown and matured and become ready to be a leader. And he will be allied with John Henry, the leader of an anti-skynet machine faction. And Derek being alive after being killed an episode earlier didn't seem cheap, because this is "young" Derek, before he has met John. Without there being a season 3 to screw around with history more, Derek is probably doomed to die the way we saw him die.

The idea that this was a downer ending that needed fixing didn't even occur to me until I read other people grumbling about it.

I'm currently three quarters of the way through re-watching the series, so I'll have to see whether my interpretation still holds up as well as when I first watched it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I have no problem with the ending except that it was an ending. I'd much rather have seen two or three more seasons of autistic robots and Lena Headey stink eye than yet another lovely sequel that doesn't do anything new or interesting.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

your evil twin posted:

Long time since I've seen it, but I actually thought the last episode worked OK as a series finale rather than a cliffhanger to a non-existent season.

The T1001 takes John to the future and meets up with Kyle, Derek, and the human Summer Glau that the Terminator Cameron was based on. John asks to be taken to John Connor... no-one knows who that is.

Some people have interpreted that as "oh no, the future is screwed, CLIFFHANGER!" But my interpretation of it was that this was a few years before the end of the Future War (hence Summer Glau still being a human), and young John Connor was now going to stay in the future and end up becoming their leader.

I thought it was a decent ending. Over the course of the series he is supposed to have grown and matured and become ready to be a leader. And he will be allied with John Henry, the leader of an anti-skynet machine faction. And Derek being alive after being killed an episode earlier didn't seem cheap, because this is "young" Derek, before he has met John. Without there being a season 3 to screw around with history more, Derek is probably doomed to die the way we saw him die.

The idea that this was a downer ending that needed fixing didn't even occur to me until I read other people grumbling about it.

I'm currently three quarters of the way through re-watching the series, so I'll have to see whether my interpretation still holds up as well as when I first watched it.

Someone posted an excellent theory once of how the ending links perfectly with everything else. I think I posted it earlier in the thread.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Rhyno posted:

Arnold loving with the other Terminator owns. I love Arnold.
E: I remember he had a bunch of youtube videos of him at home smoking a cigar trying to promote Escape Plan with a bunch of one-liners. He thought "you hit like a vegetarian" was hilarious, and I think that makes the actual line better in some way.
E2: Does Terminator: Ginesuyse have a release date?

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 19, 2015

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Firstborn posted:

Arnold loving with the other Terminator owns. I love Arnold.
E: I remember he had a bunch of youtube videos of him at home smoking a cigar trying to promote Escape Plan with a bunch of one-liners. He thought "you hit like a vegetarian" was hilarious, and I think that makes the actual line better in some way.
E2: Does Terminator: Ginesuyse have a release date?

like two weeks, i think?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Is TSCC canon? And is it worth a look?

f:e Summer Glau is always a good reason to watch something I guess.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

your evil twin posted:

I interpreted that last scene as John realizing that the future of humanity doesn't truly rest on his shoulders because the Resistance was fighting without him in the timeline he ended up in.

That's why he was smiling as he walked off camera.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Huh! Never considered that alternative. That's quite nice too.

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I'd definitely say TSCC is worth a look. More so than T3 or T4, that's for sure!

TSCC is in same continuity as T1 and T2. But not T3 and T4, and not Genisys. Thanks to all the time travel shenanigans, its hard to decide what is actually "canon".

In the first episode Sarah and John travel from the 90s to 2007, and thus jump over the time in which she was supposed to have died from cancer in T3. It totally disregards everything about Terminator 3, but does keep the idea that Sarah originally would have died from cancer in the original timeline.

There are rumours that Genisys may do the exact same thing. (Which is supported by the trailer showing them somehow ending up in modern times rather than staying in the 80s.) I'm curious whether there will be any reference to Sarah getting cancer.

Remember how when Star Trek Enterprise started it was supposed to have a "Temporal Cold War" plotline? TSCC actually does that well - both SkyNet and the Resistance keep using time travel to gain an advantage in the future war, and rather than it all being big stuff like assassination missions, there are lots of smaller, subtle moves as well.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

It gets pretty good. The first few episodes are kind of middling, but as soon as Garret Dillahunt appears in earnest it becomes very good. There's also a cool scene early on where the Terminator looks like Garret Dillahunt because he's like a B-Movie actor, and there's a shot of him as a phony Conan the Barbarian thing. If I'm remembering that right. Summer Glau is also pretty good in this, has some good lines, and there's a real tension between Sarah and her son's girl robot that they hang out with together all the time. Even a super awkward scene that all the goons interpreted as sex when he changes her internal battery or something. Towards the end there's a lot of really hokey religious references and stuff but you also get a fantastic new T-1000/liquid metal terminator and some great stuff about artificial intelligence. The action scenes are also pretty good if the Terminator cgi is a little bad. The nice part is you can just have the make up dude puts a little silver piece on someone's face as exposed metal and bam, Terminator make-up.

E: These spoilers are fairly light and both just fun moments instead of anything resembling a plot point if you care to look at them.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 19, 2015

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Firstborn posted:

It gets pretty good. The first few episodes are kind of middling, but as soon as Garret Dillahunt appears in earnest it becomes very good. There's also a cool scene early on where the Terminator looks like Garret Dillahunt because he's like a B-Movie actor, and there's a shot of him as a phony Conan the Barbarian thing. If I'm remembering that right. Summer Glau is also pretty good in this, has some good lines, and there's a real tension between Sarah and her son's girl robot that they hang out with together all the time. Even a super awkward scene that all the goons interpreted as sex when he changes her internal battery or something. Towards the end there's a lot of really hokey religious references and stuff but you also get a fantastic new T-1000/liquid metal terminator and some great stuff about artificial intelligence. The action scenes are also pretty good if the Terminator cgi is a little bad.

E: These spoilers are fairly light and both just fun moments instead of anything resembling a plot point if you care to look at them.

So Summer Gua is there to protect him yes?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

So Summer Gua is there to protect him yes?

Yeah, pretty much Summer Glau is a Terminator that looks young so it can tail him around school, and have occasional awkward puberty glances as she doesn't understand sexuality and may sometimes show her bare chest or something. Sarah is very weary because now a Terminator has titties, man's greatest weakness. Summer's character has some really great moments, though. Some funny and some depressing.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Firstborn posted:

...and may sometimes show her bare chest or something.

I'm sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Firstborn posted:

Yeah, pretty much Summer Glau is a Terminator that looks young so it can tail him around school, and have occasional awkward puberty glances as she doesn't understand sexuality and may sometimes show her bare chest or something. Sarah is very weary because now a Terminator has titties, man's greatest weakness. Summer's character has some really great moments, though. Some funny and some depressing.

People joke about Summer Glau playing a robot nerd girl in all her roles, but this is the one role where it actually fits the character perfectly. Robo-Glau is both sympathetic while also being creepy and more than a little scary.

And IIRC the show lamppons the typical trope of 'robot learns the meaning of love' when it spells out later in the show that the relationship between John and Robo-Glau is entirely one-sided, she's a drat robot she doesn't love him, but she's been manipulating/molding him into the man he needs to be in the future in ways his mother can't

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 19, 2015

• Locked thread