Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007
I don't get all the Tabletop hate. Before watching it I only owned Small World which got little play time. I bought Once Upon A Time and Fiasco after seeing them played there, both of which I love and still play occasionally.

I now get my board game recommendations from elsewhere and I've gone on to buy a whole load of games that Tabletop wouldn't cover, and I haven't watched any of Season 3. I get that they make rules mistakes which isn't ideal, but they do a good job of getting people into the hobby who may not have considered it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The only reason why I dislike it is that some of the people on the show can be really grating/unfunny and make it hard to watch an episode even if I'm interested in finding out about the game itself. Some of the jokes feel really forced as well. As a vehicle for expanding the hobby I am all for it, however. I'm not the target demographic for the videos , after all (and I would say that most people that post in this thread aren't either).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It's not as bad as Board with Life, a series deliberately aimed for board gamers that is even more painfully unfunny/forced.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I think the fact that Tabletop did a Munchkin episode and introduced even more doe-eyed impressionable newbies to Munchkin is more than enough reason to put Wil Wheaton in front of a firing squad.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Tekopo posted:

It's not as bad as Board with Life, a series deliberately aimed for board gamers that is even more painfully unfunny/forced.

I truly don't understand the appeal of the show. Like, the protagonist(s?) aren't even likeable.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
The worst thing about Tabletop are Wheaton's facial expressions. The weird ways he stretches his face in exaggerated manner creeps me out.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
There are no good board game shows, only degrees of bad

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

ETB posted:

I truly don't understand the appeal of the show. Like, the protagonist(s?) aren't even likeable.
I like to inflict pain on myself so I've watched a few more of the episodes and I stopped watching on the extremely painful episode with the homeless guy/traveller. SUSD must be high on acid every time they watch the show, its the only way that I can imagine they agreed to advertise the series on their videos.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Tekopo posted:

I like to inflict pain on myself so I've watched a few more of the episodes and I stopped watching on the extremely painful episode with the homeless guy/traveller. SUSD must be high on acid every time they watch the show, its the only way that I can imagine they agreed to advertise the series on their videos.

I managed to watch all of it somehow. It had a weirdly painful "love triangle", and friends who the protagonist should have been cut off a long time ago.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Scyther posted:

I think the fact that Tabletop did a Munchkin episode and introduced even more doe-eyed impressionable newbies to Munchkin is more than enough reason to put Wil Wheaton in front of a firing squad.

It could be so much worse though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_xC6zwnItA

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I've never played munchkin why is it so bad? or have I just broken an unwritten thread rule by asking?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Flipswitch posted:

I've never played munchkin why is it so bad? or have I just broken an unwritten thread rule by asking?

Takes a long time, the endgame is literally just "take that" until people run out of "take that" cards and then the next person wins. And the jokes are painfully unfunny if you have taste.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Scyther posted:

I like that they played Munchkin with Steve Jackson at the table and they still played it wrong (Bad Stuff didn't happen when Bad Stuff should have happened), but Jackson could have just been cheating. I haven't seen a lot of Tabletop, but I liked their Fiasco episode(s), since John Rogers is awesome.

I just play board games instead of watching videos about people playing board games.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
My first experience playing munchkin was one where I had the rules explained poorly if not incorrectly, I got screwed by unlucky draws, and watched as the only person who had played the game before waltzed to victory because no one else knew what they were doing.

The one good thing to come of this is that I never played munchkin again.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Ooo, Le Havre, Tigris & Euphrates, Ra, all 99 cents on the iOS App Store right now. I have been playing the crap out of Le Havre on iOS recently and I think I enjoy it a bit more than Agricola, currently. Need to play it in person. I like the lighter upkeep pressure and the less constrained scoring

E: the theme is going to be a harder sell tho

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Trip report: Betrayal at the House on the Hill. We wander around the house bunch and I don't really have anything interesting happen to me. The Haunt happens, I begin attempting the objective, and die to assassins placed by the traitor before I can finish my turn. My team ends up just beating the traitor down easily and winning without much trouble.

I can see how maybe that would come together better sometimes, but holy poo poo, what a disappointing mess. It successfully experience-generated a horror movie where a small child is killed by assassins and then the rest of the main cast beats up the villain and the movie ends happily. At least it's short, I guess.

cbirdsong fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 19, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

cbirdsong posted:

At least it's short, I guess.
Now imagine that game sometimes taking several hours.

There's a reason Bat Hoth is not a well loved game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

cbirdsong posted:

Trip report: Betrayal at the House on the Hill. We wander around the house bunch and I don't really have anything interesting happen to me. The Haunt happens, I begin attempting the objective, and die to assassin's placed by the traitor before I can finish my turn. My team ends up just beating the traitor down easily and winning without much trouble.

I can see how maybe that would come together better sometimes, but holy poo poo, what a disappointing mess. It successfully experience-generated a horror movie where a small child is killed by assassins and then the rest of the main cast beats up the villain and the movie ends happily. At least it's short, I guess.

My game had the haunt beginning on the second person's turn. There were five people around the table, and three of them had yet to move when the haunt began. We lost, of course, because we didn't have items, an explored house, or anything.

What a phenomenally stupid game.

Edit: I find the Tabletop hate amusing. Whether or not it's hard or whatever to keep track of rules, the show really isn't aimed at people like us who peruse board game sites and chat on the SomethingAwful.com forums - it's mean to evangelize the hobby to people who rarely play board games, who go to a cafe on a lark and play Monopoly or Jenga all night. Rule fuckups happen a lot on that show, sure, but whatever - it seems like the only people who are angered, or really even affected, are those who have played the game already and don't need to be shown if the game is fun or not.

Though I'm sure the board game developers themselves watch the episode just pulling their hair out and screaming at the screen.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 19, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Just got my copy of Pictomania. Should have bought it earlier but yeah, glad I finally made the purchase. Such a good game.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Tekopo posted:

Just got my copy of Pictomania. Should have bought it earlier but yeah, glad I finally made the purchase. Such a good game.

Where'd you get it from? The only place I could find it in stock was Amazon at like 50% mark up.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Aston posted:

Where'd you get it from? The only place I could find it in stock was Amazon at like 50% mark up.
I just got it from my regular online retailer, board game guru.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Just bought the Tigris & Euphrates and Le Havre apps. There goes my weekend.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Played A Fake Artist Goes to New York with 7 the other night. It's basically a mixture of Spyfall and Pictionary. The quizmaster comes up with a word and writes it on the back of little dry erase cards. On one of them he instead puts an X. He gives the tiles to the players, the "fake artist" being the player with the X tile. Each player then takes a pen in their own color. A pad of paper goes around the table twice. Each artist adds a single line to the pad and then passes it. The key is that the real artists have to try to draw what the word is in such a way that they let the other real artists know they know the word without giving the word away to the fake artist. The fake artist tries to bluff her way through. Once the pad has gone around twice, everyone looks at the drawing and then simultaneously point at the person they think is the fake artist.

If the fake artist is chosen by the majority, she gets a chance to guess the word. If she guesses, or if the majority don't select her, both she and the quizmaster score. Otherwise, the artists score. A new person is selected as quizmaster and the game continues. It's really fun and works well with a medium to large group.

Also, Dawn of the Zeds 3rd ed. is up on Kickstarter. Yes, it's loving zombies. It's still a good game. It now also has co-op rules, so you can play with 1-4. It's already funded.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah, speaking as someone who hates party games, drawing games, and fun, Pictomania is really, really good.

Speaking of hating fun, I am finding that I simply dislike Forbidden Desert. We played last night (with some gaming friends and their 8 year old son who plays games, but pretty badly being young), lost after the first shuffle, and I had zero fun the entire game. I'd much rather play Pandemic, or frankly, Mysterium, for that time slot coop.

We also played Dragon Flame, a very small kickstarter card game (one of these friends has a kickstarter...problem), which was light and had more interesting choices than FD, but I didn't end up liking it particularly. I won, but I only felt like I made good solid guesses/choices about twice in an hour long game, and half the time I was going late enough in turn order to not really have a choice at all.

It's a game where you play various point scoring (or draining) cards into a bunch of piles, face up or face down depending on turn order, then in turn order choose a pile. Plus there's a weird side area control minigame that seemed completely out of place with the game, other than the fact that they really wanted you to be able to burn down villages in a game called Dragon Flame, I think.

Maybe I just hate fun.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Just to clarify, Dawn of the Zeds is based on the Victory Point Games 'States of Siege' series, which usually models historical conflicts (f.ex. France just after the revolution, the Russian Civil War etc.). It's a pretty fun solitaire game, pretty random at times but still offers a lot of decisions. I haven't played Dawn of the Zeds but if they stuck to their original formula it should be pretty good.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Aston posted:

Firestorm Games has a few copies as well if I remember correctly.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

My copy of pictomania is still stuck with my catacombs preorder, drunk fosbourne purchase smh

E: also a copy of patchwork that I'm sure someone would be happy playing right now

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
I'm starting to find that I actively dislike any and all co-operative games, Space Alert notwithstanding, as I'd much rather butt heads with the other players than work with them to solve a collaborative puzzle that may as well be a single player game with other people around to help move the pieces.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Scyther posted:

He redeemed himself by making Steve Jackson part of the game, which made it painfully clear that Munchkin is not something I ever want to be associated with

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
How do you feel about mage knight?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

bobvonunheil posted:

I'm starting to find that I actively dislike any and all co-operative games, Space Alert notwithstanding, as I'd much rather butt heads with the other players than work with them to solve a collaborative puzzle that may as well be a single player game with other people around to help move the pieces.

I still think competitive team games are the wave of the future.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

bobvonunheil posted:

Might need to find the right team then

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

bobvonunheil posted:

Same, I'm completely tired of them. It's always one person who has to convince the others "Yes, this is the most optimal action and we have to do it or we will lose." and once everyone agrees, we do it. That's every loving game. The only thing worse is hidden traitors in these games because they are never fun for the loyalists. Just done with that genre entirely, and it's definitely not that my group is bad because we play all sorts of game and have fun (as long as the game is good, of course).

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Lilli posted:

How do you feel about mage knight?

Mage Knight has so many moving parts for each player that it plays mostly the same whether it's coop or competitive, so that gets a pass. Nobody actually does PvP combat in that game anyway.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I still think competitive team games are the wave of the future.

I really wish there were more games like this. The only games I know that do this are Ladies and Gentlemen, A Touch of Evil, Space Cadets: Dice Duel and, well, Bridge and other traditional card games.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Tekopo posted:

I just got it from my regular online retailer, board game guru.

Flipswitch posted:

Firestorm Games has a few copies as well if I remember correctly.

Thanks, looks like there's been a restock since last I checked because usually BBGuru is the first place I go to also.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

bobvonunheil posted:

Mage Knight has so many moving parts for each player that it plays mostly the same whether it's coop or competitive, so that gets a pass. Nobody actually does PvP combat in that game anyway.

I really wish there were more games like this. The only games I know that do this are Ladies and Gentlemen, A Touch of Evil, Space Cadets: Dice Duel and, well, Bridge and other traditional card games.

...and Tash Kalar.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

silvergoose posted:

...and Tash Kalar.

And in a month and a half, Codenames.

Vlaada has heard your prayers. Vlaada provides.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Gutter Owl posted:

And in a month and a half, Codenames.

Vlaada has heard your prayers. Vlaada provides.

Yeah, pretty much. I love bridge, but more team board games can be nothing but a good thing, it's extremely good to introduce people using a game where they can rely on a teammate to help them with decisions while it not being a quarterback game.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Takes a long time, the endgame is literally just "take that" until people run out of "take that" cards and then the next person wins. And the jokes are painfully unfunny if you have taste.

And even if you don't have taste, it has the same problem as most "cards with jokes on them" games. You can only play it 3-4 times before you've seen all the jokes, and then you need another reason to play. There might be some all-star comedy writers who could make an entire game's worth of jokes that never get stale, but those people are very rare and probably not in the board game business. Frankly most people couldn't make a game's worth of jokes that are funny the first time, so it shouldn't surprise anyone to hear that Steve Jackson can't either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
For competitive/co-op hybrid games, my favorite that hasn't been mentioned is probably Letters from Whitechapel. I like how it can, in theory, be played by two people, but the investigators really, actually do need several brains working together to catch Jack.