Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Is that phone thing that Nick is using supposed to have a camera? It's starting to get annoying how the dude calling you can seem to see everything enough to give quests but not enough to stop making you go from Point R to point F but then it turns out that you need to go to points K, V, E to get the stuff.

Is it that much of a pain to tell us 'Oh hey the evidence moved, I see one of the zombies carrying it is over by the bank, head over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
I really like phone dudes acting it's very... naturalistic I guess. I'm not sure what the real term for it would be but it feels less like acting and more what a weird burnout dude would actually say.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
Even more disturbing than Darlene is that Jamie used the wrong spelling of doughnuts.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Is that phone thing that Nick is using supposed to have a camera? It's starting to get annoying how the dude calling you can seem to see everything enough to give quests but not enough to stop making you go from Point R to point F but then it turns out that you need to go to points K, V, E to get the stuff.

Is it that much of a pain to tell us 'Oh hey the evidence moved, I see one of the zombies carrying it is over by the bank, head over there.

he's in a room that's connected to the entire city's cctv network.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Mr. Highway posted:

Even more disturbing than Darlene is that Jamie used the wrong spelling of doughnuts.

And "motherload"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Renzuko posted:

he's in a room that's connected to the entire city's cctv network.

Which makes it more weird that he let you run up to there instead of pointing out that the zombies with the cases are all over the city.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Jamie (That is the douchebag's name right?) is the least enjoyable character in the DR series I've seen so far. Even down to the way he speaks make me picture a greasy pompous rear end in a top hat that I'd never do a favor for, let alone favors that involve zombies. Even when Otis was constantly calling Frank at the worst times imaginable, he was still a polite guy about it and trying to help out.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
His loving mouth smacking when he is eating his chips and casual "do this" attitude really loving grates on my nerves.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.

Jade Star posted:

Even when Otis was constantly calling Frank at the worst times imaginable, he was still a polite guy about it and trying to help out.

Don't interrupt me like that! It's rude!

Agreed, though, Jamie... Jamie is like The Dude, from Big Lebowski, with absolutely no redeeming or entertaining qualities at all, or plot support to make him less annoying or enjoyable.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Man, a whole bunch of Jamie haters up in here. I mean, when he does his whole "hey you should do this thing for me, run along now" it's pretty dickish for sure. Other than that I've always found him kind of endearing. Maybe it's because the game takes itself a little seriously and then you get a phone call that says "Some weird chick doing spooky stuff in the graveyard. Peace."

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Jamie is a realistic character in a series known for endless caricature. I'm sure most people know a Jamie and it says a lot if the sorta annoying but friendly dude is what really evokes such loathing in you dweebs. :v:

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

:siren:MORE DLC ACTION:siren:

Video 08 - DLC - Chaos Rising Part 2 [YouTube]

We continue on with Hunter's quest to get revenge or whatever.
I know this is from a few months ago, but I'm just now going through the LP.

In Detroit, there is a mayors mansion where the new mayor moves into.

The governor also gets their very own residence.

EDIT: Same with Los Angeles's mayor.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
:siren:LOTS OF THINGS HAPPENING:siren:

Video 22 - When A Plan Comes Together [YouTube]

Fire Storm posted:

I know this is from a few months ago, but I'm just now going through the LP.

In Detroit, there is a mayors mansion where the new mayor moves into.

The governor also gets their very own residence.

EDIT: Same with Los Angeles's mayor.

Neat. I guess that answers that question. Thanks.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
The size of the video in the Polsy link is off.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Just once, I'd like a Zombie game where the Military wasn't evil and the government wasn't behind the outbreak, every single Zombie game has to have some grand conspiracy behind it, I know the Walking Dead, for example has the outbreak just randomly happen, out of the blue one day, it wasn't some super bioweapon being released by evil politicians or rogue Generals or something, so I think anyway.

My point is, I'd just like more Zombie games like this, where the powers in charge aren't evil or corrupt for once.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Turns out Nick doesn't have what it takes.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Wow, didn't think they'd have the balls for that! I was sure they were gonna find her in the tent with the others and be all surprised and give our hero a chance to be more awkward and lame.

Judge Tesla posted:

My point is, I'd just like more Zombie games like this, where the powers in charge aren't evil or corrupt for once.
Resident Evil? Pretty pure corporate evil, multiple governments working against it.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
"Extremely dangerous, my rear end"? Really? I think that's one of the only things you CAN tell about Nick.

"Do not let this man out of your sight, should be considered armed and extremely dangerous at all times. If the subject is given any respite and any resources he will attack with surprisingly effective homebrew weapons. Human death toll from this one man is in the hundreds, zombie death toll is in the thousands. Even when wearing only a banana hammock he can take dozens of anti-personnel rifle rounds to the chest without dying, and he has demonstrated a capacity to operate on little to no sleep over a seven day period. DO NOT underestimate him, not matter what he is brandishing or wearing."

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Wow, didn't think they'd have the balls for that! I was sure they were gonna find her in the tent with the others and be all surprised and give our hero a chance to be more awkward and lame.

I was certainly expecting some way for Nick to save the day there, I was pretty surprised they went full RE4 on us.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So for whoever was saying that chipping seemed too good to be true? It is!

Basically every zombie outbreak has been planned by Phenotrans because they need queens to make Zombrex. Who cares if they kill a few hundred million people, they've got money to make.

Chipping isn't to keep the infected contained and tracked, it's so they have an unwitting zombie outbreak at their beck and call. People who self inject would know when they run out and probably take measures when they do.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Resident Evil? Pretty pure corporate evil, multiple governments working against it.

I'm actually surprised at myself that I forgot one of the original Zombie games doesn't have an evil Government in it, guess it's been drowned out under the sea of ones that have. :v:

MoadDib
Apr 4, 2009

Judge Tesla posted:

I'm actually surprised at myself that I forgot one of the original Zombie games doesn't have an evil Government in it, guess it's been drowned out under the sea of ones that have. :v:

Not really all that surprising when you think about how much power Umbrella Corp tends to wield. When you consider the scope of their projects it's hard to think of them as having anything less than governmental level power.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

That's not strictly speaking quite true. Resident Evil 3 hinted that the US Government had ties to Umbrella and the FBC is a government commission who were the main villains of Resident Evil Revelations and the National Security Advisor to the President is one of the main villains in Resident Evil 6. But it seems to be certain factions within the government rather than the entire government being in on it in Resident Evil's case.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I kind of like how if Red can be trusted (which I'm still iffy on) he actually did get the fuel. Like his inevitable betrayal is still looming, but at least he got the fuel.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Samovar posted:

Gary seems a cool dude, in a way, but I feel he's gonna double cross poor ol' Nick.

What did I loving say?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Samovar posted:

What did I loving say?

Being betrayed by someone you know in a Capcom Zombie game? Surely not! :v:

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
:steam: This is your notification that the Dead Rising stuff is a Daily Deal on Steam today! :steam:

I've never played the PC versions, but I'm sure they're ok?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

That's not strictly speaking quite true. Resident Evil 3 hinted that the US Government had ties to Umbrella and the FBC is a government commission who were the main villains of Resident Evil Revelations and the National Security Advisor to the President is one of the main villains in Resident Evil 6. But it seems to be certain factions within the government rather than the entire government being in on it in Resident Evil's case.

I've always been under the impression that the US and other major governments were funding Umbrella's research, so while the outbreaks were never really conspiracy driven, the existence of the various bioweapons was partly their fault. But then again trying to state facts in the Resident Evil universe is enough to make you go crazy, inject yourself with T/G/Progenitor virus, and grow extra limbs and a glowing weak spot.

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 19, 2015

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
DR 2 and off the Record are fine and hell, if you want a great sandbox zombie game, off the record is definitely worth the price-tag.

I don't know if 3 is still a super glitchy mess; but at least they have all the DLC packaged with, so there is that.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
In Dead Rising 2, the miltary weren't the bad guys, and actually came to save everyone. It, um...didn't go well.

Thanks for this LP - I wanted to play Dead Rising 3, since I really liked the others, but I'm not buying an XBone, and I don't have a good enough PC to run it. So at least I get to experience it through this thread.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
Tee hee.
http://i.imgur.com/sL1Cymp.gifv

Edit: Imgur gif conversion is pretty sweet!

http://i.imgur.com/jhRklVV.gifv

J.theYellow fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 17, 2015

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
:siren:UPDATE:siren:

Video 23 - The Price of Gas These Days [YouTube]

I'm off for a vacation weekend, so you guys get a weird Friday morning video.

J.theYellow posted:

Tee hee.
http://i.imgur.com/sL1Cymp.gifv

Edit: Imgur gif conversion is pretty sweet!

http://i.imgur.com/jhRklVV.gifv

Do they pull those straight from the YouTube video?

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 19, 2015

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Do they pull those straight from the YouTube video?

You can tell it to do that, yes.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

...was the soundtrack to this game always synth-wavey and I never noticed it before?

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
So did Red park the Fuel Car into the storage unit, and then the King Zombie lifted the grate and got in? Like, what exactly is the sequence of events? Or was it that Red parked the car, and there happened to be a few bodies in there, and in between the time it took him to lock the grate and for Nick to unlock it, one of the corpses mutated?

Also, judging by that "claw his own skin off" comment by Rhonda, I'm pretty sure we're either gonna find mutated Diego, or he's gonna turn in front of us, causing us to Old Yeller him, but not before Nick does his usual "oh poo poo" face. Though to be fair, those King Zombies are pretty nasty to look at.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
King zombie probably got stuck under/on the car or something on the way.

Diego didn't look that stable even without taking zombies into account, he's probably gonna get old yellered either way :v:

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
It's interesting how this game reverses cutscene competency. In most games the characters can pull off stunts in cutscenes they never could in gameplay. In this game Nick becomes a passive and helpless observer whenever a cutscene starts.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Added Space posted:

It's interesting how this game reverses cutscene competency. In most games the characters can pull off stunts in cutscenes they never could in gameplay. In this game Nick becomes a passive and helpless observer whenever a cutscene starts.

*cue a million angry emails to Squaresoft about how to give Aerith a phoenix down*

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
This is the most random tidbit I can think of responding to, but the "bring guns to a foot race" discussion near the start of the last video made me think you guys were talking about the MST3k episode "Mitchell" which actually had that joke, sort of.

A bunch of drug dealer goons are literally chasing Joe Don Baker down through a Californian suburb taking shots at him with revolvers that look like track pistols and Joel and the 'bots question the scene by asking "isn't it against the rules to shoot someone in a footrace?"

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Added Space posted:

Hardly unusual in games, see Mass Effect 3 where Cutscene Kai Leng chumps Shepard on a few occasions or when Adam Jenson in Deus Ex turned into a strangely passive idiot when he confronted Zhao Yun Ru, allowing her to effortlessly escape him. :v:

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
:siren:ANOTHER DLC:siren:

Video 24 - DLC - Operation Broken Eagle Part 1 [YouTube]

This is going to be a two parter, probably posting the second part on the weekend, and then we're done with DLC until the main game is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Welp, allow me to be that guy that pauses the video to tell you about the Marines. The short of it is that they were a part of the Navy long ago. Because the navy would sail up to some coastal combat zone, own the waters around the area, and then go 'uh now what? Where are those army guys to go get on land?' and it was a pain in the rear end. So the navy drafted up a section to handle amphibious landings so they could sail in, control the coast and then land troops on the ground with out having to wait for the army to show up. Eventually the Marines became their own branch as the importance and scale of amphibious landings increased. Kind of like how the Air Force used to be a part of the Army until it was realized how important air power was as the technology developed. However in the marines case as technology developed their roll actually shrank, as it became less and less feasible to make amphibious assaults on defended landing sights. You just need to remember the beaches of Normandy to remember why we don't do that any more, and that was 70 years ago.

• Locked thread