Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

HEY GAL posted:

are we still talking about the early middle ages here

A good point. After all, if we're really talking early middle ages, we're talking a pre/proto-chivalric conception of the warrior class for starters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I'm late to the party, but a few brief points on the "warrior aristocracy" in the early Middle Ages, specifically the Carolingian period. First, it's often said that the primary social distinction in Carolingian (and in other early medieval societies) is not one between commoner and aristocrat, but between free and unfree people. As seen in Carolingian capitulary legislation, all free men technically had the obligation to serve in the army, suggesting that at least in theory all free people had recourse to a legitimate violence. That said, at least by the Carolingian period we can see the development of a "Christianized" military elite, very similar in character to knighthood, which is usually seen as a later medieval development. Dominic Barthélemy argues for this Carolingian Knighthood in his book The Serf, the Knight, the Historian, which is a good read for anyone interested in the modern scholarly debates over "feudalism."

Now, did this "Carolingian knighthood" see itself as better because of breeding? Probably not.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

deadking posted:

I'm late to the party, but a few brief points on the "warrior aristocracy" in the early Middle Ages, specifically the Carolingian period. First, it's often said that the primary social distinction in Carolingian (and in other early medieval societies) is not one between commoner and aristocrat, but between free and unfree people. As seen in Carolingian capitulary legislation, all free men technically had the obligation to serve in the army, suggesting that at least in theory all free people had recourse to a legitimate violence. That said, at least by the Carolingian period we can see the development of a "Christianized" military elite, very similar in character to knighthood, which is usually seen as a later medieval development. Dominic Barthélemy argues for this Carolingian Knighthood in his book The Serf, the Knight, the Historian, which is a good read for anyone interested in the modern scholarly debates over "feudalism."

Now, did this "Carolingian knighthood" see itself as better because of breeding? Probably not.

I was thinking about this in relation to Anglo-Saxon/Danish England from that time period, and I'm struggling to figure out who makes up the "knighthood".

If I remember correctly, the social ladder is essentially:
King
Ealdorman/Jarl
Thegn
Huscarl/household troops
Fyrd/commoners
Slaves

Kings, commoners, and slaves are obvious, but I could see any or all of the other three being considered a Carolingian "knight" social class. The huscarls are professional warriors, but they aren't landed, and thegns, jarls, and ealdormen might not always be warriors but they definitely have the land.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I just saw this posted somewhere, maybe it's been posted in this thread before. Looks like almost all of it is extremely inaccurate, might give you all a good laugh.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's, uh, pretty accurate, actually.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Check out the Military History Thread for relevant discussion, someone posted it there recently.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I'm not sure about the "arming swords hacking through mail" part.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

goose fleet posted:

I just saw this posted somewhere, maybe it's been posted in this thread before. Looks like almost all of it is extremely inaccurate, might give you all a good laugh.

17th century lancer armor, proofshot with a pistol bullet, ergo, bullets don't do poo poo. Also skipped the whole Mongol thing with the bowsies and arrowses. Too tired and lazy to argue. Archers too costly and useless. Gonna send them home, so that they can train more. Maybe shoot a butte or two.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

17th century lancer armor, proofshot with a pistol bullet, ergo, bullets don't do poo poo.
naw man, that's not a mercenary, that armor belonged to a "knight" because all armor did

siivola, this thing is bad bad bad

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad
It's got a mix of correct and incorrect information, though mostly the latter. also even when correct on the broad strokes it fucks up on the details. Honestly it is better to ignore it entirely than to spend the time sifting through what is right and what is wrong.

deadking posted:

Well in the 11th-early 12th century, knighthood was defined more by equipment and ability than by breeding. Wouldn't be surprised if such an attitude stretched to the 8th/9th century. Edit: Especially given that as I recall a lot of Carolingian land holdings were not hereditary.

Is Barthélemy available in translation? Because it was a slog to get through the French last time I read him and I've got some new copies of the JMMH that I'd rather read first if he's only available in French.

Rodrigo Diaz fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 25, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The highborn commanders were pretty incompetent, if you go by Tuchmann. She goes on about how knights disregarded complex tactics such as "scouting" and "having a sensible baggage train". Her conclusion was that a monopoly on warfare was bad because it was, well, a monopoly.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

"having a sensible baggage train"
And what does she recommend in the way of logistics instead of what they did?

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

The highborn commanders were pretty incompetent, if you go by Tuchmann. She goes on about how knights disregarded complex tactics such as "scouting" and "having a sensible baggage train". Her conclusion was that a monopoly on warfare was bad because it was, well, a monopoly.

A Distant Mirror is not regarded well as a scholastic work.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

It's got a mix of correct and incorrect information, though mostly the latter. also even when correct on the broad strokes it fucks up on the details. Honestly it is better to ignore it entirely than to spend the time sifting through what is right and what is wrong.

Well in the 11th-early 12th century, knighthood was defined more by equipment and ability than by breeding. Wouldn't be surprised if such an attitude stretched to the 8th/9th century. Edit: Especially given that as I recall a lot of Carolingian land holdings were not hereditary.

Is Barthélemy available in translation? Because it was a slog to get through the French last time I read him and I've got some new copies of the JMMH that I'd rather read first if he's only available in French.

Carolingian land holdings (at least those dispensed by the king) were in theory not hereditary, but there was a strong preference on the part of land holders to pass their offices to their children and the end result is a lot of de facto hereditary offices, if I'm remembering correctly (land tenure isn't really my forte). You're quite right about "knighthood" in the eleventh century being more about equipment and ability than an elite aristocratic group, though, to the point where I believe there's a tendency on the part of more recent historians to translate miles as armed horseman, or something similar, rather than knight. That said, Barthélemy is referring more to the later Christianized concept of knighthood having a strong Carolingian precedent.

At least some of Barthélemy's work is translated into English. The book I mentioned in my previous post (The Serf, the Knight, and the Historian) is a translation of La mutation de l'an mil a-t-elle eu lieu?. He's quite an interesting, if rather polemical historian, especially in that book.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

siivola, this thing is bad bad bad
Oh. Huh. :(

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for telling me.

The example she used was (high ranked) knights bringing everything with them to war so they could live the high life on the march. Enough food for feasting, households worth of servants, hawks, etc. How accurate is that?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

deadking posted:

Carolingian land holdings (at least those dispensed by the king) were in theory not hereditary, but there was a strong preference on the part of land holders to pass their offices to their children and the end result is a lot of de facto hereditary offices, if I'm remembering correctly (land tenure isn't really my forte).

The development of this in to a de jure situation as well as a de facto one is literally how some loose idea of what we call 'feudalism' but don't any more gets going in the Frankish kingdoms. What you're talking about is right, and more and more how things get as the Carolingian era presses on.

As an aside, it certainly is the case that chivalric concepts have as one major origin the desire to emulate Frankish warriors like Roland, who was a margrave (Mark Graf/ Leader of a March), although a lot of that stuff is an ex post facto creation.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 25, 2015

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Thanks for telling me.

The example she used was (high ranked) knights bringing everything with them to war so they could live the high life on the march. Enough food for feasting, households worth of servants, hawks, etc. How accurate is that?

Seems like romanticism to me. I mean, they wouldn't be slumming it up like commoners, but these are guys who spent their entire life dedicated to martial prowess. They were not above doing some camping. I'm sure wealthier knights brought a few servants, and maybe even hawks/dogs/extra food, but they were definitely not feasting every night and dragging a huge entourage around everywhere just to be comfortable. That would be incredibly expensive even for a rich man, and probably frowned upon by his peers as being excessive.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Seems like romanticism to me. I mean, they wouldn't be slumming it up like commoners, but these are guys who spent their entire life dedicated to martial prowess. They were not above doing some camping. I'm sure wealthier knights brought a few servants, and maybe even hawks/dogs/extra food, but they were definitely not feasting every night and dragging a huge entourage around everywhere just to be comfortable. That would be incredibly expensive even for a rich man, and probably frowned upon by his peers as being excessive.
:shrug:
My subjects' commanders do, why would the middle ages be any different? Doesn't mean they can't be very good at their jobs.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

HEY GAL posted:

My subjects' commanders do, why would the middle ages be any different? Doesn't mean they can't be very good at their jobs.

Marius was considered exceptional by his troops because he used a standard soldiers tent, ate the same food, and helped digging ditches. Generals living the high life on campaign all the way back

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

HEY GAL posted:

I'm sure they definitely enjoyed a better standard of living while campaigning, I was mostly skeptical about the "Feasting every night and having households worth of servants" part. I had a hard time picturing a medieval knight, even a high ranking one, having those kind of resources available to him.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Marius was considered exceptional by his troops because he used a standard soldiers tent, ate the same food, and helped digging ditches. Generals living the high life on campaign all the way back
Aldringen was considered exceptional because he didn't enrich himself by embezzling from his men. There's high life and then there's high life, i guess

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

And what does she recommend in the way of logistics instead of what they did?

I think she found the whole "sack the city and kill the inhabitants" method of foraging to be distateful, especially when done by princes and popes.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

A war's gotta eat, and who else is gonna feed it if not itself?

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

sullat posted:

I think she found the whole "sack the city and kill the inhabitants" method of foraging to be distateful, especially when done by princes and popes.

you don't forage from cities, you've probably half-starved them in the process of getting in in the first place. you also don't sack the place unless the people inside refuse to surrender after a number of parlays.

Railtus
Apr 8, 2011

daz nu bi unseren tagen
selch vreude niemer werden mac
der man ze den ziten pflac

goose fleet posted:

Going through the list:

Mail was extremely resistant to most weapons, and actually did really well against arrows. Mail: Unchained gives some good examples - http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_mail.html – most of the cases of mail being easily pierced was butted mail, which is more costume than armour.

Not 95% casualties, but routs were generally the most dangerous part.

Child betrothal happened early, but the marriages happened later.

Guys like Richard the Lionheart, Henry V, Henry VII, and so on were all impressive military commanders. Henry VII was perhaps less glorious, but he was very effective, and honestly my favourite because of how good he was at the behind-the-scenes aspect. For instance, at the Battle of Stoke Field, the enemy landed in England on June 4, force-marched 200 miles in 5 days, and Henry was able to get a larger and better-equipped army there for June 15. Incompetent commanders were usually later, when people purchased their commissions.

On bows being terrible weapons, I actually think Mail: Unchained gives examples of them being rather good. They could hit individual targets, they could stun men too well-armoured to pierce. These are obviously high-powered bows, but generally the idea that the bow was not a super-weapon is valid.

A single arrow being worth more than a spear? News to me. Massed archery formations could put out a constant stream of arrows though.

Longbowmen were definitely among the most muscular guys, and actually had all kinds of interesting occupational deformities like enlarged left arms and bone spurs (Dr. A.J. Stirland. Raising the Dead: the Skeleton Crew of Henry VIII's Great Ship the Mary Rose. (Chichester 2002) As cited in Strickland & Hardy 2005 ).

Crusading knights shrugging off lots of arrows – again in Mail: Unchained.

Knights and PTSD is not something I know much about. As far as I know, the research into it is only now starting to consider the subject. http://news.discovery.com/history/archaeology/medieval-knights-ptsd-111220.htm – says may have had. There's a huge gap between saying that PTSD could happen to knights (i.e. it happens at all), and most knights had extreme PTSD. I do think it is an interesting subject, just not yet able to justify such a dramatic statement.

Wars being either religious disagreements or business transactions in the broad sense can be applied to all wars ever – wars are fought either for ideological reasons (beliefs, whether religious or political or something else) or resources (land, rights, property). It's the kind of statement that is technically true but doesn't say anything about the medieval period.

Value of guns is an iffy subject. Generally speaking people used guns for a reason. I doubt they would have still been used if they were that ineffective.

Plate armour could stop some firearms, but that is very different to “easily” blocking bullets. Obviously it depends a lot, pistol-proof armour became fairly common, and warriors would use tactics to accommodate the difficulty penetrating armour - http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_lancepistol.html

I think the comment about the Normans is perhaps too general. Castle building was not really something that was invented – forts had been a thing for long before. Similarly, I see knighthood as more rooted in a mix of Frankish and Roman ideas than specific to the Normans.

Byzantine military doctrine did adjust based on its opponents, that is true: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_battle_tactics#Byzantine_Art_of_War

Medieval warfare was less often exciting pitched battles, although one-sided massacres is not entirely accurate either. If it was one-sided, a surrender or retreat was more likely than a massacre.

Arming swords were still very popular in the later period; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiI1sCAd_Hk – and hacking to get through mail seems an unlikely tactic. You could maybe bruise someone in armour with a good sword blow.

Longswords were two-handed. As for whether greatswords existed, that is far more up to interpretation – a XIIIa would seem like a greatsword to me; http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_oakeshott2.html or someone else might see it as a big longsword. Do bearing swords count? And so on. There's an interesting discussion of them here - http://www.myarmoury.com/features.html

I hope that helps!

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
The historical examples given in Unchained are picked selectively and omit accounts of the contrary. I have an article lying around somewhere (I think it's Jones's test from 1992), where the author did exactly the opposite and selected wholly accounts how easily mail was defeated. It's all meaningless, because there are so many vague variables in them that you cannot draw a valid conclusion for the entirety. It amounts to sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Next are the tests, there is none that doesn't suffer from some sort of dealbreaking problem, like wrong metalurgic makeup of either armor or arrowheads (we don't even know much about if and how they were hardened), too weak bows, unhistorical bows, unhistorical arrows, 10th century mail piercing bodkin arrowhead against 16th century plate, no padding below, no riveted mail, arrows shot from an air cannon and not from a bow, you can go on and on. Some tests tried to take shots from different angles, people realized at it matters a great deal if the target is completely fixed or has some leeway to bounce. Any valid setup has to be very complicated, ergo costly.

A report of the findings of the Defence Academy warbow trials Part 1 Summer 2005 is the best yet, and even there's some problems. There's no part 2 yet. Eventually somebody might get enough money together and improve the setup, and we'll have some numbers in the vacuum.

All these people that used masses of archers seemed to have felt that the trouble of training and maintaining them made some sense in their context of warfare. Getting serious about it takes a shitload of time and effort. If you look at archery heavy environments in the east, they all used cloth armor (plus mail, etc.), often combined with plates that protect the heart and abdomen. (posted numbers a while ago how abdominal injuries always ended up deadly).

If you think that archery related things are well researched, I'd like you to know that we didn't even touch the surface of the subject and basically don't know anything. Aside from a single book on Ottoman bows, you cannot even find precise measurements of composite bows. There's a ridiculous diversity of iranian archery tackle and next to nothing is written about it in detail. We don't even know how "arab" bows or the turk's bows from the crusades looked like. There are a few articles on 13th century Mongol archer tackle - 3 or 4 bows and some arrows found. One should think that there's bows from the Ming dynasty left - No, there are just paintings of them. There is no research on the metallurgic makeup of eastern arrowheads, a handful of articles about eastern arrows that don't give precise measurements of their complex shapes and construction. No english literature on the training methods and how these things were organized that goes into detail. Etc, etc.

These people put incredible amounts of dedication, time and effort into shooting things. An argument like "well, it's a cultural thing and it's actually useless in practice" sounds pretty hollow once you try to recreate it.

e: Relatively much info available for England obviously. Can't be said about other places.

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 27, 2015

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

goose fleet posted:

Chamale posted:

21st century warfare facts!

Kevlar was nearly impervious to all attacks, especally rifles

Nearly 95% of casualties were inflicted by a Drone, the flying robots after an army's control of the air was broken

Teenage pregnancy was rare than many think, especially for nobles, the normal childbearing age was 25*. Ecxept on MTV for some reason, where it was 16.

Most Commissioned officers were neither incompetant nor cowardly, they were trained to be good at their jobs so obviously they always were

The average rifle was a terrible personal weapon, they were always deployed en mass and few gunmen hit what they aimed at

The airplane required years of practice and could fly like a bird, but a single flight was worth more than a soldier's knife

Machine gunners had to be some of the biggest and most muscular men in the army, to handle the massive recoil of a postmodern machine gun

Attacking tanks drove through storms of bullets like rain, because Iraqi (muslim) guns were too weak to pierce steel and explosive reactive armor

Many soldiers, suffered from extreme PTSD, and their governments didn't do enough to help them (:smith:)

Most wars were either religous differences between groups of voters, or business transactions of the nobility for land and oil. Honor, rightousness and democracy had litle or to nothing to do with it.

Grenades had no value over artillery except the shape, for nearly 200 years, grenades and mines were used to a minor degree, and artillery stil had monopoly on power, force, range, and rate of fire

Tank armor could easily block rockets, contrary to public opinion, rockets were never able to easily slay tanks, they were just easy to use and cheap to make compared to tanks

The Germans were the finest soldiers in all of europe for over a century and invented repeating rifles, jets, finalized the blitzkrieg style, and conqoured lands from Russia to Africa

The French Empire contained some of the brightest military minds of the postmodern ages, they had a battle doctrine for every foe possible, according to them, Iraqis were the smartest and, Vietnamese (Asians) were the Feircest

MOST POSTMODERN BATTLES WERE NOT EXCITING PITCHED BATTLES LIKE BLACK HAWK DOWN OR TROPIC THUNDER, NEARLY ALL OF THEM WERE COMPLETLY ONE SIDED MASSACRES, Your aver

Your average postmodern machine pistol (EI, a "Machine gun" was designed for aiming and shooting, after tanks became more popular in the mid 1950s, almost no one carried these guns into battle anymore, and relied on submachine guns, battle rifles, miniguns, assault rifles, pistols, and shotguns instead

Many people call machine pistols "Machineguns" while in fact a machinegun is a mounted weapon and assault rifles never existed during World War II

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

But how many potatoes have ever become knights?!

Railtus
Apr 8, 2011

daz nu bi unseren tagen
selch vreude niemer werden mac
der man ze den ziten pflac

JaucheCharly posted:

The historical examples given in Unchained are picked selectively and omit accounts of the contrary.

No it doesn't, although I can see how you get that impression from skimming the article and seeing the quotes in red. Check the second half of the section on arrows for the parts you believe are omitted; it covers them, it just uses shorter quotes and thus does not break them from the main text.

I'm not sure why you got the impression that I think archery related things are well researched either.

Other than that, there's not really anything in your comment I disagree with.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
The statement wasn't directed at you. It's sort of a general sentiment that one often encounters.

Ok, it's been some time since I read that text fully. I don't like this article, because it doesn't draw a consistent conclusion from the facts it presents. It also presents contradicting accounts not in the same way, but one part at lenght and graphically different, while contradicting accounts are labeled as "some" and "On occasion" and packed in a paragraph without further attempt to explain why. It goes into some detail about the different sorts of chainmail, diameter or rings etc., but on the other hand it's blanket statements about "bows" and "bodkins" as if they're all the same and not a wide range of very different tools also of different diameter (compare to ring diameter), barrel taper, lighter and heavier arrows, completely different shapes of heads, hybrid forms, tanged vs. non-tanged, etc., etc.

I also don't see javelins even mentioned in the text.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_CJCM6XRXugI/Su4wkDRlu3I/AAAAAAAABIg/U718CyTkymE/s280/Windows-214.jpg

does anyone know of an authentic period sketch that looks like this?

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Does anyone know how many singers a traditional Gregorian chant featured? If there's no standard number, a range would be appreciated.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I don't know that there's a traditional set number. Weren't they designed to be sung by the entire choir or even the entire congregation?

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I'm not sure, and basic searches aren't really coming up with anything for me.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Xotl posted:

Does anyone know how many singers a traditional Gregorian chant featured? If there's no standard number, a range would be appreciated.

During the the reign of Charlemagne, it was compulsory for every monk in the monastery to sing, and to sing specifically Gregorian chant , on orders of the king. Liturgical singing was forbidden to the laity (and I don't think that there were really congregations attending monastic services at this period. Possibly lay brothers). So as many singers as monks. I suspect this rule holds true across the middle ages, because singing was an integral part of the role of a monk.

I know that in the English restoration, one of the key arguments for the "rationalisation" of the monasteries was that most houses had fewer than twelve monks, which was not supposed to be enough to perform the Divine Offices.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Cool, thanks for the info.

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.
How did castle construction differ across Europe? Were there features or techniques that were unique in England, France, or the HRE?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Anyone have experience with the Cold Steel polypropylene wasters? I was thinking about getting one or two, but thought I'd check around first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

10 Beers posted:

Anyone have experience with the Cold Steel polypropylene wasters? I was thinking about getting one or two, but thought I'd check around first.

If for decoration, sure, I guess? If for actual use, you probably want to ask in the fencing thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3693186

• Locked thread