Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Either it's Bendis ignoring stuff again or some places have walls, others dont.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Or maybe Doom stuck them in an area that was specifically designed for them?

I am perfecetly willing to accept DOOM'S WILL :doom: as an explanation for any questions about Battle World.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
The wall separates the zombie, Ultron, and Annihilation waves from the rest of Battle World, maybe the wastelands of OML are also walled off as well. Though it seems poor-planning on Doom's part to have to two X-Men domains right next to each other.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:ohdear: He blasphemes against Doom!

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.
If you're wondering how they eat and breathe and other science facts, just repeat to yourself "DOOM saved us all, I should really just relax."

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So I've picked up Thors, Marvel Zombies, and caught up with the core Secret Wars story and Ultimate End. Ultimate End is probably the least interesting of them all, but I'll give Bendis another chance because I think I've got some sort of Stockholm syndrome.

Didn't think I'd like the zombies, honestly, but I wanted to see more of the Deadlands and it turns out Elsa Bloodstone is a lot of fun. Pretty happy with my purchases. And yes, Thors stands tall among them all.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I like the Carol Corps book. It was fun and a pretty broad overview of the situation and where it's going. I really liked the idea that everyone knows about stars but can't/has never seen them and that's their rationale for going "beyond". It's a good mix of defiance/curiosity. Unfortunately Captain Marvel was like the least interesting character in her own book.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 19, 2015

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

PaybackJack posted:

I like the Carol Corps book. It was fun and a pretty broad overview of the situation and where it's going. I really liked the idea that everyone knows about stars but can't/has never seen them and that's their rationale for going "beyond". It's a good mix of defiance/curiosity. Unfortunately Captain Marvel was like the least interesting character in her own book.

Hmm, I'll need to pick that up then. I've been wondering how the cosmic Marvel characters factor into all this, such as Silver Surfer. We haven't seen anyone like him yet, have we? Or Thanos. Except in Infinity Gantlet. Which still hurts my head when I try to think about if just that one domain has Infinity Gems or every one does...

moleman posted:

If you're wondering how they eat and breathe and other science facts, just repeat to yourself "DOOM saved us all, I should really just relax."

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The Shield is a really really big wall that divides the "good to merely bad" zones from the "really terrible" zones. The only things on the "bad" side of the Shield are:

1) The Deadlands, filled with zombies
2) Perfection, filled with Ultrons
3) New Xandar, filled with Annihilation Wave monsters

Everything North of that isn't protected/blocked off by the wall, so even in the "good" zone you still have huge swaths of land controlled by various types of Hulks, supervillains, Sentinels, demons from hell, terrorists, Apocalypse, etc. They're shown to be warring in a lot of books, and are probably generally lovely neighbors.

Old Man Logan is from a blighted hellscape ruled by a Nazi and inbred Hulk offspring. The zone he passed into is ruled by a genocidal supremacist. It doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility that someone might want to build a wall outside of God Doom's SHIELD wall. Or that some other zones might not have a wall. Or that sometimes the walls get blown up. Or that if there is any sort of miscommunication about passage between zones, it *might* be some random schlub writing a stupid MODOK comedy book that flubbed it?

Whoops, I guess Chris Yost wrote the MODOK: Assassin issue? There have been so many cheap MODOK joke stories in SW already I'm getting them mixed up.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:

bobkatt013 posted:

The last page was them with a statue of Apocalypse and everyone was in their AOA uniforms. All might be revealed in the AOA miniseries. If creed is a good guy there then we know its Bendis being Bendis.
In this thread :argh: should not be used when we have :doom:

Yeahhh AOA Iceman isn't a very nice guy either, yet he seems to be chillin with the good guys.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
Judging by who's alive and that Sabretooth and Bobby haven't switched sides yet, it seems more like the Age of Apocalypse region is set early on in the story still. Bendis didn't get it wrong, he just set it early since setting it after Apocalypse falls wouldn't have made for an Apocalypse controlled region.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

EGSunBro posted:

Judging by who's alive and that Sabretooth and Bobby haven't switched sides yet, it seems more like the Age of Apocalypse region is set early on in the story still. Bendis didn't get it wrong, he just set it early since setting it after Apocalypse falls wouldn't have made for an Apocalypse controlled region.

Then again this is just another version of the AOA. Sabertooth was only on Apocalypse's side at the very very beginning. We should see what the actual AOA miniseries is like and see if its just Bendis wanting OML fighting Sabertooth.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think also that not everyone knows they're in their own realm in Battleworld, too. Or they don't know what else is out there.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If they go back to original AOA I will be fine with that.

The Miniseries were garbage that retconed the more interesting parts of AOA.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Codependent Poster posted:

They're dead. The Beyonders killed them. Doom and Strange show up at that same place later.

I'm not sure what Nutopia is. It might be the Morrison X-Men location?

I"m pretty sure Doom and Strange are well aware that Odinson and Hyperion fought the Beyonders and died (maybe on Doom and Strange's behalf).

With them knowing the real Thor is dead is more then likely why all the cops are Thors

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010

sbaldrick posted:

I"m pretty sure Doom and Strange are well aware that Odinson and Hyperion fought the Beyonders and died (maybe on Doom and Strange's behalf).

With them knowing the real Thor is dead is more then likely why all the cops are Thors

That, and even if they aren't as powerful as 616 Thor, an entire force of Thors is going to be one of the few things capable OF policing Battleworld.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Haven't been reading OML -- is Blink around at all in AoA-land that we've seen? Curious if they'll do anything interesting with her. Hell, they could giver her a Tallus and make it be important part of restructuring the universe somehow.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Law and Thorder is the most beautiful comic I've ever read. And while I'm really wary of the possibility of another fakeout like Odin/Maestro, the possibility of Loki having memories of the old multiverse has me incredibly hyped.

Shonen Waifu
Jun 29, 2003

Senor Candle posted:

Reed is going to be so pissed

Couple of days late but it's not like Hickman hasn't already set a precedent of a Reed killing god(s). God's deriving their power from a world tree, no less. I can't wait to see 616 Reed go completely apeshit.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

dear x-men '92, please include the following and i will buy all the copies:
- surly grunge Kurt Cobain wannabe Quentin Quire
- Cypher as a action movie "master hacker" as written by a screenwriter who has never touched a computer
- Spice Girls Stepford Cuckoos
tia

...also, X-Statix '92 could be pretty amazing.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Slippery_Elmer posted:

Couple of days late but it's not like Hickman hasn't already set a precedent of a Reed killing god(s). God's deriving their power from a world tree, no less. I can't wait to see 616 Reed go completely apeshit.

Yeah I've heard a lot of buzz about Ultimate Reed, when all I can think is the council of Reeds and how our Reed Richards with no family to anchor him should scare everybody God or Beyonder.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
I'm far more interested in Reed vs Evil Reed. We've seen Reed go against Doom enough times already, but an evil version of himself? Surprisingly rare, if ever at all.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I want to see Doom meet Ultimate Reed. Throw in 616 Reed and you have have an interesting third act.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

The Biggest Jerk posted:

I'm far more interested in Reed vs Evil Reed. We've seen Reed go against Doom enough times already, but an evil version of himself? Surprisingly rare, if ever at all.

You should check out Hickman's Fantastic 4

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

The Biggest Jerk posted:

but an evil version of himself? Surprisingly rare, if ever at all.
That was literally the plot of most of Hickman's F4 run.

That said, Reed vs UltReed is the really the thing I'm looking most forward to during this event.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 21, 2015

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Edge & Christian posted:

The characters who weren't some sort of [Squadron] Supreme [Power] analogues in that issue were all from the original New Universe, so presumably the New Universe?

Dr. Zero and the Knights of St. George were from Shadowline.
Nutopia is the New Universe.
And then of course there was obviously Supreme Power, as well. I liked Squadron Sinister. It's the Justice Lords vs. Marvel's misfit toys.

Re: Old Man Logan

I don't think it's actually a wall he climbed. It seems more like the Wastelands are in a valley. Blink is with the early AOA X-Men and it all works continuity-wise with the original AOA.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I just want to see Doom's reaction when he finds out that not one but TWO Reeds survived.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

RICHARDSES!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I just want to see Doom's reaction when he finds out that not one but TWO Reeds survived.

"What do I have to do to get rid of you stretchy bastards? Also you on the left, what are you doing with your head? Cut it out I'm not going to fight a conehead."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I do not want Law and Hammers to end.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I want to see how Peter Parker saves the universe.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Got back in town today from being gone almost a week and I checked out this week's tie-ins. My favorite was probably Squadron Sinister. Love to see the old Shadowline characters in there. I always had a fondness for St George as I had some of those comics as a kid and I have no idea where they came from but I liked them. Loved Thors, Runaways, Old Man Logan, and Attilan Rising as well. Didn't much care for Armor Wars though.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I want to see how Peter Parker saves the universe.

We all know he will get the fame but it is Squirrel Girl who will be really saving the universe.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I read this entire thread last night and now I have $40 worth of Secret War tie-ins to read. THANKS.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I read this entire thread last night and now I have $40 worth of Secret War tie-ins to read. THANKS.

I'm afraid that is a scrub tier level of tie-ins to read.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

El Tortuga posted:

Hmm, I'll need to pick that up then. I've been wondering how the cosmic Marvel characters factor into all this, such as Silver Surfer. We haven't seen anyone like him yet, have we? Or Thanos. Except in Infinity Gantlet. Which still hurts my head when I try to think about if just that one domain has Infinity Gems or every one does...
616 Thanos is in the main Secret Wars title.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Conrad_Birdie posted:

That makes Doom sad, and he will be sending some Thors to your place of residence.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I saved all last week's releases for a long train journey and oh man, Elsa Bloodstone vs the Marvel Zombies is everything I want and need right now. Can we just keep Battleworld for a few years longer? It's just so much more fun.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Sentinel Red posted:

Can we just keep Battleworld for a few years longer? It's just so much more fun.

I feel the same way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

El Tortuga posted:

Or Thanos. Except in Infinity Gantlet.
Uh, he's been one of the main supporting characters throughout Hickman's entire run. He's made an appearance in each issue of Secret Wars, too, iirc. :confused:

• Locked thread