Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Would anyone like a cheap TB-3? :)

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I've been slowly selling off all my OTB gear, this is the last one I have around that isn't Maschine. I'm simply not spending much time making music 2 bar loops anymore, at least not enough to justify the OTB stuff.

And Tehschulman you laugh but I've made a fuckload flipping synths so w/e

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
We're all really just amateur instrument brokers. :ssh:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
In English the tense stays the same in that usage, so the word you're after is "Breakers"

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Thanks for the advice on the talk box earlier, that's actually how I kludged my way through it at practice (using my guitar processor). I'm still trying to learn how to actually create sounds and make it work that way, work in progress.

I really just want to bitch for the sake of bitching, because really, gently caress coreMIDI services.

My workflow at this point goes something like this:

Day 1:

Turn on poo poo.
Play

Day 2:

Turn on poo poo.
CORE MIDI SERVICES NOT AVAILABLE
Spend hours troubleshooting until I say gently caress it and practice guitar

Day 3:

Turn on poo poo
Play

There's no rhyme or loving reason for it. If I was moving poo poo around, changing USB ports or whatever, I could see that.
But literally, from one session to the next it'll randomly spout off about poo poo not working and gently caress my day.

Where's the sacrificial altar? I'll buy a whole HERD of goats for this poo poo.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
does anyone currently make a eurorack oscilloscope? it looks like the jones o'tool is out of production, or at least i couldn't find one anywhere.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

O'tool is getting retooled, next version will be more accurate and have some quality of life improvements.
The Addac 205 seems too small but it's still being made.
The doepfer mounted was awful and is discontinued anyway. Wait on the new otool and grab that, or one of the throngs of first gen ones that get dumped because dumb nerds.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Startyde posted:

O'tool is getting retooled, next version will be more accurate and have some quality of life improvements.
The Addac 205 seems too small but it's still being made.
The doepfer mounted was awful and is discontinued anyway. Wait on the new otool and grab that, or one of the throngs of first gen ones that get dumped because dumb nerds.

wow yeah that ADDAC one is goofily tiny. i'll probably wait for the new o'tool.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Yeah, SH-201 is fun, easy and capable of some pretty cool noises. Definitely a fine thing to pick up if you need a cheap, convenient synth or if you need something knobby for your baby to poke at and draw on so she doesn't trash your other synths.

Modulation options are kind of limited, but they're really efficiently bound to parameters. You can do a lot with the sort of sparse front panel. There's some weird stuff, like specifying the bend range or the portamento speed, that requires looking in the manual, but which could've been done with a little bit better silk screening on the front panel. Also the external sound in is useless, a numerical lcd readout for parameter values would've been a much better use of space and budget. Pretty minor complaints, also the board has no aftertouch.

I'm digging the hell out of this thing, price, weight, size and accessibility are all pretty much ideal. It's doesn't have a lot of depth, but it's certainly not so shallow as to be boring. Why is the GAIA so universally hated?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Sizone posted:

I'm digging the hell out of this thing, price, weight, size and accessibility are all pretty much ideal. It's doesn't have a lot of depth, but it's certainly not so shallow as to be boring. Why is the GAIA so universally hated?

It's not a JP8000?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Startyde posted:

It's not a JP8000?

Neither is the sh-201. Looking at the gaia architecture I think I see why though. Other stupid design flaws aside, being able to route lfos to pwm (and osc. feedback and supersaw detune) is a large part of the coolness of the 201. That is, as far as I can tell, totally absent on the 01.

Having something I can rest on my lap, in bed, and just twidle with is really making me want to find a Venom.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Sizone posted:

Neither is the sh-201. Looking at the gaia architecture I think I see why though. Other stupid design flaws aside, being able to route lfos to pwm (and osc. feedback and supersaw detune) is a large part of the coolness of the 201. That is, as far as I can tell, totally absent on the 01.

that's because all of the gaia's "oscillators" are actually wave tables instead of real VA, right?

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Got to play with the JD-Xi at the local music store and it sounds pretty drat good. If I were in the market for a basic does-it-all synth, this would be the one.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

snorch posted:

Got to play with the JD-Xi at the local music store and it sounds pretty drat good. If I were in the market for a basic does-it-all synth, this would be the one.

The architecture is apparently completely different but after the first dozen or so demos of the XA there have been a few new ones that actually make it sound amazing and I can't wait to play one in the next few months when it comes out.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
HOLY poo poo MY CLOUDS JUST SHIPPED

e: originally said that it was a preorder for a production run in september, detroit modular must have gotten some early i guess? whatever i'm not going to question it :getin:

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
There was a production run just happened too, but all the pre orders for that went ages ago. You must have had someone cancel an order :)

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

cubicle gangster posted:

There was a production run just happened too, but all the pre orders for that went ages ago. You must have had someone cancel an order :)

works for me :)

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Mr. Glass posted:

that's because all of the gaia's "oscillators" are actually wave tables instead of real VA, right?
if all the gaia's waves were being read from a table, i wouldnt think that osc sync should disable the filter. that delightful bug seems to indicate some form of realtime processing to make the waves since the cpu cant handle simutlaneous sync + filter

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
Wow, just stumbled upon this modular/volca jam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urdxD_TurVw

Those volcas sound way better than I'd though. TBH I'd kind of written them off as toys from the few demos I'd bothered to watch but I seem to have been pretty wrong...

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

How stupid is it of me to want to leave my (whopping 3 week or so old) Arturia in the studio and pick up a Moog Sub 37 Tribute for our synth-y stuff and a proper stage piano for the rest?

I'm trying to semi-justify it to myself by saying 'hey you won't have to worry about having a laptop onstage, just plug the poo poo into the PA and go' but really, it boils down to (however idiotic it may seem) 'I REALLY enjoy making weird noises and farts out of the synth modules and want to explore more of that and with as much actual piano work as we're adding now since they found out I can play passably well, I'm probably better served with an actual weighted/hammer action piano'.

Someone tell me I'm dumb that I should be happy with what I have (that's serving us pretty well so far) and that I'm a big dumb gear hog or something.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Far be it from me to say that you don't need to own more synths, but maybe you should look at why you need to fabricate justifications? That just spells future disappointment to me.

I'm fine with any motivation to go ahead anyway, even if it is just wanting stuff, but you've got to be able to be straight with yourself. And stay out of financial ruin, obviously.

You can reduce the worry about having a laptop on stage with some basic backup synth module from about $250 probably. Hammer action is heavy and will literally break your back. Maybe you already have a mixer, but if you don't, owning more than one synth will mean you'll need to look into that as well.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I'm thinking of buying one of these purely to do complex feedback with plugins
http://xiwielectronics.com/products/passive-matrix-mixer

Please convince me this is unnecessary.

(I have plenty of ins and outs on my interface, so it would be viable)

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

No, it's not a strain or anything negative, and I'm not really having to truly justify anything, it was basically just a 'is this dumb' sort of thing.

I haven't really spent much on gear since last year (other than buying a PA) and the Moog seems appealing as a 'real' synth and actually does make it a little easier to split duty during a show.

Yeah the nicer keys are heavier but really, with the amount of poo poo we haul in and out with lights/pa and the rest of our poo poo it's not THAT bad.

I get employee pricing on most of this too, so it's definitely not that I've got Scrooge McDuck cash reserves to plow through.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Then I don't really see the problem, go hog wild.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Mr. Glass posted:

works for me :)

You're lucky - three made it this time to the local community and everyone else is SOL until September, which likely really means October.

Meanwhile, I've been having fun with the Pittsburgh Modular Logic Banks. Seems to be an unpopular one for the PGH limited edition modules, but I'm really liking what it can do so far; it's really great for making more varied gate sequences.Thinking about putting together some videos showing some of the fun you can have with the 4ms QCD and logic banks.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

stillvisions posted:

Meanwhile, I've been having fun with the Pittsburgh Modular Logic Banks. Seems to be an unpopular one for the PGH limited edition modules, but I'm really liking what it can do so far; it's really great for making more varied gate sequences.Thinking about putting together some videos showing some of the fun you can have with the 4ms QCD and logic banks.

ooh, that sounds like a great combo! i just built an RCD kit and have really been enjoying the new rhythmic opportunities, particularly the odd divisions like ÷3 and ÷5.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

if all the gaia's waves were being read from a table, i wouldnt think that osc sync should disable the filter. that delightful bug seems to indicate some form of realtime processing to make the waves since the cpu cant handle simutlaneous sync + filter

Same thing happens with the SH-32. That's definitely samples, and another example of Roland saving 5 bux.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
So Alessandro Cortini just put this new track out and *apparently* this was created with a TB303 (?)

https://soundcloud.com/alessandrocortini/la-sveglia

As someone who has never cared about the whole "acid 303 beats yo!!" I'm curious if this is typical of the 303 sound... or was it slowed down and digitally processed into oblivion?

breaks
May 12, 2001

You can certainly hear the synth line that could be from a tb303, but there are a lot of FX stacked on there. I don't really think the 303 is what is making that track what it is.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
this thing looks awesome :aaaaa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13RLY9lJCxY

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

breaks posted:

You can certainly hear the synth line that could be from a tb303, but there are a lot of FX stacked on there. I don't really think the 303 is what is making that track what it is.

IIRC he's put out a great album made almost entirely from an MC-303 so it's way less about him using a TB-303 and more that he's really loving good.

Speaking of which, if you don't already have his two sonoio albums I highly recommend them.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

A Winner is Jew posted:

IIRC he's put out a great album made almost entirely from an MC-303 so it's way less about him using a TB-303 and more that he's really loving good.

Absolutely. That guy's used to milking every single drop of awesome from himself and his machines.

quote:

Speaking of which, if you don't already have his two sonoio albums I highly recommend them.

Indeed, those two albums are pure :circlefap:. Great examples of what people with modular setups SHOULD be doing.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

i dunno if I'm going to be a lone voice here but I think the 202 and Buchla Easel albums Cortini put out are some of the hollowest, most talentless and thoroughly flaccid examples of any music I've heard in the last decade; i'm completely perplexed as to why he has such a fanbase

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I can totally see how thats a 303 line. poo poo if you just clock a 303 at like 40 bpm it sounds pretty weird with slides etc. Add some reverb, and a pitch shifting warble (or just record to your own lovely tape) and there you go.

TB-303: Literally the greatest synth of all time :colbert:

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Scatterfold posted:

i dunno if I'm going to be a lone voice here but I think the 202 and Buchla Easel albums Cortini put out are some of the hollowest, most talentless and thoroughly flaccid examples of any music I've heard in the last decade; i'm completely perplexed as to why he has such a fanbase

Fixed that for you.

I think his Sonoio pretty darn good personally. As some others have stated, he is really really talented at not only bringing out the best sounds from a synth, but using them in ways that are a little counter intuitive in order to achieve said sound. He gravitates to unique gear and then works it in his own unique method.

I can understand that the structure can be a bit underwhelming and the vocals can be a bit odd, but really I don't know anyone who is making similar analog based music and not doing the whole dance/techno/dubstep thing. Again, I'm referring more to the Sonoio project and not his more slow-acid style beat music.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I can finally come post in this thread, sort of. My friend and I do this project where we make music together. It's pretty informal as of right now, we've really only got a Soundcloud for our better produced work, but up until the past couple weeks it has been mostly MIDI keyboard + FL Studio action. Not so much anymore, as we've saved up a bit to get some gear. Well, it's mostly his and not mine, but I get to play around on it just as much. We got an MS-20 mini, and a Volca Beats sequencer to compliment the slightly underpowered SQ-1 that the MS-20 mini comes with. Also, we had to get a mixer of some sort

This video was the fruits of my first day's labor at the helm of the MS-20 and the SQ-1. My friend (who can be seen jamming in the computer chair) had a little more time to get to know the hardware: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r3m6Za5qUs

I have an Akai MPD26 at my house which is nice for live patterning of songs and should compliment the Korg stuff nicely. Now I'm looking for something more like an MPC so that we can record live samples to the pads from the Korg as the MPD26 can only interface with a DAW. At least it's got MIDI :toot:

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

The Cleaner posted:

Fixed that for you.

Perhaps so :wal:

I think the two issues I have with those albums (and what I've heard of the 303 one) is that, no matter which instrument he uses, the output is always the same: a series of arpeggios, in a sound without much textural interest. On the one hand he's obviously totally in control of the instrument: he's making the music he wants to make, even if that's decidedly Kraut-y sounds from the original East Coast plinkyplonky machine.

On the other hand it reminds me of composers who don't understand the instrument they're writing for. Like John Adams; obviously a very skilled guy, but if you're in an orchestra and playing one of his parts - whether its a picollo part, or a percussion one, or 2nd violin it's all clearly been written at a keyboard. They're all keyboard parts. And they don't work with the instrument, instead forcing it to play a similar role. He doesn't think "oh this bit would be best orchestrated with a flute"; he thinks "oh I need loud here so I'm going to boost the same part with the flute/strings/percussion, whichever". Phil Glass is the same; even worse perhaps.

And its the same for Cortini. He's not "playing" a Buchla. He's using a Buchla to play something which could be played on pretty much anything; especially when it's been sent through the same layers of tape hiss, wow and flutter, etc as the 202, or 303. But at the same time he's using the fetishisation of Buchla, and 303s, almost as advertising. Hence why I found it all so hollow.

That all said if you enjoy it; you enjoy it. And that can't be analysed or criticised. I'm not going to tell anyone they're wrong for liking it.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Scatterfold posted:

I don't agree with "talentless" because there's no way he'd have ended up where he is if he lacked talent.

I can definitely say that his solo stuff is not for me, pretty much across the board. It doesn't speak to me. At all. But I still like and respect him for his skill and accomplishments.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Scatterfold posted:

most talentless and thoroughly flaccid examples of any music I've heard in the last decade

Haven't heard my any of my stuff then lol :flaccid:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Don't know if I can enjoy listening to him the same way after reading that all too in-depth tear-down.

Great. Thanks, BUDDY