Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Texas has"state judge" plates. Is there a "federal judge" plate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Freudian posted:

What's with you and treason?

I don't like it.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Texas has"state judge" plates. Is there a "federal judge" plate?

Wow. Do they WANT their car keyed?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Vanity Plates are a good way for states to make a bunch of money off dumb people. They just don't need to be racist or stupid as gently caress.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I kind of agree with this, but also think treasonous speech should be protected? I doubt many flyers of the confederate flag literally want armed revolution or advocate for the same. So long as the direct doesn't call for violence it should be permitted.

The thing is that it is inherently violent because it's symbolic of a war. There is no aspect of the confederacy which does not stem from their secession and the attack in which they suckerpunched Fort Sumter and by extension America. It is the cartographic embodiment of the political entity which went to war with America, it did not exist at peace with America at any time, and it did not seek peace with America until American soldiers were in its capital and its leadership had abandoned their posts. The people who compare it to the Nazi flag are quite correct except the Nazi flag actually flew over some brief time where its country was not yet at war and Nazi Germany did not launch a surprise attack on America to commence war.

Praxis19
Nov 4, 2009

No justice no peace ACAB
I looked back in the thread to see if this was covered and couldn't find anything, and it might be off topic for the thread, but whatever. I was wondering if the wise SCOTUS following goons had any inclination or evidence as to the Supreme Court's granting an injunction on Texas HB 2, the abortion bill mandating hospital admitting privileges and surgical center requirements on clinics. The 5th circuit upheld the bill earlier in the month, and as I understand it there is currently a request for stay of implementation from the Supreme Court. The effects are slated to take hold on the end of the month, but last time, the Supreme Court did delay the implementation until the 5th circuit heard the case. I'm really wanting to know if the Supreme Court's likely to grant a similar stay until they hear the case, and when that injunction would likely be granted. Does this kind of thing have established precedent, any good guesses, or could it just be whatever the hell they feel like?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

stupid as gently caress.
Too late for Texas, I'm afraid. Did you not see the dissent's appendix?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Too late for Texas, I'm afraid. Did you not see the dissent's appendix?

I don't have a problem with "square dancers" plates. I have a problem with poo poo like the PRO LIFE plates.

Like here's okay:

Here's stupid:

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 19, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

Except our whole justification for playing game of drones with al anwaki was in recognition that treasonous speech IS dangerous.

Side note: I disapprove of summarily executing people outside a theater of combat. I would not, however, had had any issue with trying him for treason and other crimes and hanging his rear end if he were convicted.

South Carolina still flies the traitor flag on the grounds of the state capitol, does Obama arrest Governor Haley and the whole General Assembly and hang them too?* What about every Mississippian or Georgian who voted for their state flag?

*Not necessarily implying this would be bad, mind you.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

South Carolina still flies the traitor flag on the grounds of the state capitol, does Obama arrest Governor Haley and the whole General Assembly and hang them too?* What about every Mississippian or Georgian who voted for their state flag?

Just set up a sting at Fort Sumter. The FBI is getting really good at the not quite entrapment terrorist sting thing.

The USA can let them plea bargain down to 20 years reconstruction and passing amendments 13-15 again with one change "Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation. We mean it this time, Scalia."

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 19, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

FAUXTON posted:

It is the cartographic embodiment of the political entity which went to war with America

vexilographic, not cartographic :eng101:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

the fact it would be politically bad to arrest this nest of traitors doesn't mean it's not a nest of traitors

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

evilweasel posted:

the fact it would be politically bad to arrest this nest of traitors doesn't mean it's not a nest of traitors

^^yup.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

evilweasel posted:

Tacit support of traitors doesn't not constitute treason itself.

I think, more to the point, instead of simply calling it treason and making them martyr the Confederacy, explaining why its stupid as gently caress to fly the stars and bars is maybe a better idea.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

E: /\ it's stupid as gently caress because they're applauding and honoring a traitorous institution and declaring allegiance to a bunch of people who betrayed their country.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

vexilographic, not cartographic :eng101:

I was referring to the geographic body of the confederacy (as a map-based embodiment of the political rebellion) with that usage, but I didn't really signal my shift in reference and instead just kept saying "it" so I'll agree that I goofed.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 19, 2015

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

ActusRhesus posted:

And ask the state to give up a revenue source based on exploiting the insanity of its citizens? You monster.

Seriously. Vanity plates are dumb.

Best $600 I spent

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

duz posted:

Best $600 I spent

Why the hell didn't you paint it green

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

FAUXTON posted:

E: /\ it's stupid as gently caress because they're applauding and honoring a traitorous institution and declaring allegiance to a bunch of people who betrayed their country.

I was referring to the geographic body of the confederacy (as a map-based embodiment of the political rebellion) with that usage, but I didn't really signal my shift in reference and instead just kept saying "it" so I'll agree that I goofed.

Didn't the American revolution involve individuals betraying their country and forming a traitorous institution?

There are plenty of examples of individuals lauding failed revolutionaries. It seems pretty harmless to me.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 19, 2015

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

You laud them if they win.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Didn't the American revolution involve individuals betraying their country and forming a traitorous institution?

When the South wins Civil War 2 then they will get the power to define themselves not-traitors-but-patriots just like we did, sorry losers.

Regarding the discussion on whether King is stupid or evil, looks like D. Vox got the better of me

"New York Times posted:

If he wins, Mr. King said, “the left will blow it out of proportion and claim that eight million people will lose their health insurance.” But he said lawyers had assured him that “things are in play to take care of the problem.” Mr. King did not provide details, and supporters of the health care law have said that there are no quick or easy solutions if the Supreme Court rules against it.
Mr. King, a gruff but friendly man who likes to guard his privacy, expressed a generalized sense of grievance over the health care law and the way the administration had carried it out. The name often used for the program, Obamacare, is enough to upset anyone, Mr. King said, and suggests that the president is “a narcissist.” (The term was actually coined by opponents of the law, though Mr. Obama has sometimes used it.)
During the arguments, Justice Ginsburg asked whether the plaintiffs had established that they had standing to sue: “a concrete stake” in the outcome, not just an ideological interest. Mr. King said he was aware of the legal issue, but he played down its significance. Regardless of whether he has standing, he said, other plaintiffs do.

“This case is not about destroying health care,” Mr. King said. “It’s about the law, the rule of law. You can’t have a pen and a phone and decide to change the world.” Mr. Obama has cited his pen and his phone as symbols of his power to advance his agenda through executive actions, despite resistance by Republicans in Congress. Mr. King said that he was growing weary of all the chatter about his case on social media and cable television, and that he deserved more credit for challenging the law. “I listen to everybody bitch and moan and cry about Obamacare,” Mr. King said. “We did something about it.”

:ughh:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kawasaki Nun posted:

More like declared independence and got invaded. The confederacy seceded, started a war, invaded America, and still lost. Over slavery.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Any time both Vital Signs and I are both telling you you are wrong, fair odds you're wrong.

Also, civil war was about more than just slavery, but still wrong and still treason.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Indeed, it was also about the political institutions that protected slavery.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I don't have a problem with "square dancers" plates. I have a problem with poo poo like the PRO LIFE plates.

Like here's okay:

Uh, I think that's a little bit more than "okay." It has bears and wildflowers.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Like here's okay:

Here's stupid:

Coal is the "friend" that borrows money and eats your food and then leaves when you're in trouble.
I loving hate friends of coal.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

And if the Declarations of Secession are to be believed, a lot of butthurt that the North actually let blacks vote and those blacks stole the presidency from genteel southern aristocrats.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

VitalSigns posted:

And if the Declarations of Secession are to be believed, a lot of butthurt that the North actually let blacks vote and those blacks stole the presidency from genteel southern aristocrats.

Well of course, because Dred Scott v. Sanford had established that black people couldn't be american citizens and letting any vote was an unconstitutional attack on the republic :confederatesay:

This is also an example of why constitutional is not actually a synonym for just

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

ActusRhesus posted:

Any time both Vital Signs and I are both telling you you are wrong, fair odds you're wrong.

Also, civil war was about more than just slavery, but still wrong and still treason.

Nope, it was just slavery.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The civil war did resolve some lingering questions about state versus federal power, but that was more of an effect than a cause, and besides that, every other balance of power issue between the South and the federal government had been resolved without starting a war.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
As a southern person let me assure you that the Civil War was about the concept of States Rights and not chattel slavery.

*slowly pushes box labeled 'Confederate Constitution' out of view*

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Taerkar posted:

Indeed, it was also about the political institutions that protected slavery.

Don't forget the entrenched economic system that supported and allowed the South to survive. That was, of course, based on slavery.

The reasons for the Civil War were
  • slavery
  • slavery coated in layers of politics, economics and culture in order look like a separate entry
  • racism that fed into and was in turn bolstered by slavery
  • being real butt hurt about not getting their way in the Presidential election
  • more slavery

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

VitalSigns posted:

When the South wins Civil War 2 then they will get the power to define themselves not-traitors-but-patriots just like we did, sorry losers.

Regarding the discussion on whether King is stupid or evil, looks like D. Vox got the better of me

*forgets Obamacare was a nickname primarily used by the right wing which later became the most common usage, is a moron*

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
The southern states recognized that if they lost control of the executive and had to deal with an unfriendly legislature then slavery could not expand and that was pretty much the same thing as slavery dying out (eventually). Popular sovereignty wasn't working out the way that they had hoped and had slavery continued on I think it would have only gotten worse for them, seeing as white people in the more populous north were very pro-Free Soil. Having the west as an escape hatch for broke-rear end yankees was such a defining part of the 19th century it'd be almost impossible to imagine what the country would look like without it. If slavery had been allowed to expand into the west then homesteading could not have happened and those lands would have been dominated by the 'slave power' just like in the south.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hasters posted:

Nope, it was just slavery.

You've always had a problem with labeling

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

VitalSigns posted:

This is your brain on Fox.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Maarek posted:

As a southern person let me assure you that the Civil War was about the concept of States Rights and not chattel slavery.

*slowly pushes box labeled 'Confederate Constitution' out of view*

What the constitution that clearly established more states rights? Such as the right to always have legal slavery. And the right to, uh, did I mention slavery?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

He seems about as intellectually invested as the defendants in United States v Twelve Hundred and Forty Cases of Pickled Anchovies.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The anchovies got such a bum rap

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

VitalSigns posted:

It's shocking how prevalent narcissist is used by right wingers to describe the President.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's shocking how prevalent narcissist is used by right wingers to describe the President.

I think narcissist can fairly describe nearly every elected official.