Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Well, X law might only reduce the rate of a horrible thing happening rather than make it literally impossible to happen, guess we should just leave everything in its current lovely state because perfection isn't achievable!

In fact, if we made murder legal, fewer people would die since no one would have to rush and accidentally kill the wrong person!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Are all Harvard Reviews like this? It's literally just someone citing a bunch of studies and then offering their opinion about how they interpreted it. Doesn't seem that convincing, to be honest, along with phrases like "more than ten times greater". It honestly looks exactly like an Arkane post, with the constant attacking of study methodology.

That's too bad, as an American gun owner and a believer in the Second Amendment, it only makes sense that I'd want to arm as many black people as I can.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Amergin posted:

Agreed - it's their right by the second amendment to be armed.

And when black-on-black crime skyrockets and you run around still trying to blame whitey, I'll be laughing.

I'm actually hoping for an increase of Black-on-White. :greenangel:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Amergin posted:

Agreed - it's their right by the second amendment to be armed.

And when black-on-black crime skyrockets and you run around still trying to blame whitey, I'll be laughing.

Simply arming people causes crime to skyrocket? I didn't know you were such a gun-hating liberal Amergin.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Amergin admits it was racially motivated. What a fuckin' RINO

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

MaxxBot posted:

Simply arming people causes crime to skyrocket? I didn't know you were such a gun-hating liberal Amergin.

Well, per the liberal talking point "Well, civilized Western Europe has low crime rates and strict gun control!" while looking at Eastern Europe with high gun ownership and high crime rates, one can infer there's one variable in equation as to whether more guns = less crime or more crime.

How civilized are the people you're giving guns to?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Radbot posted:

Are all Harvard Reviews like this? It's literally just someone citing a bunch of studies and then offering their opinion about how they interpreted it. Doesn't seem that convincing, to be honest, along with phrases like "more than ten times greater". It honestly looks exactly like an Arkane post, with the constant attacking of study methodology.

That's too bad, as an American gun owner and a believer in the Second Amendment, it only makes sense that I'd want to arm as many black people as I can.

Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy is edited and published by the HLS branch of the Federalist Society, a national association of Republican and Libertarian lawyers and law students, fwiw.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Radbot posted:

I would legitimately donate to a GoFundMe that funds black people buying guns, as I'm sure every gun owner would.

I don't own any guns, but so long as cops are going out of their way to not help black southerners (and also often killing black southerners) I'd be all in favor of arming the oppressed.

But only if every gun also came with complimentary turtleneck and jacket.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Amergin posted:

How civilized are the people you're giving guns to?

Phrenology exams as a requirement for gun ownership.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Jagchosis posted:

Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy is edited and published by the HLS branch of the Federalist Society, a national association of Republican and Libertarian lawyers and law students, fwiw.

That explains it. Thanks.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

McDowell posted:

Phrenology exams as a requirement for gun ownership.

what is that? what is your net income, friend?

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Everyone watch this.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Neurolimal posted:

I don't own any guns, but so long as cops are going out of their way to not help black southerners (and also often killing black southerners) I'd be all in favor of arming the oppressed.

But only if every gun also came with complimentary turtleneck and jacket.

I'm honestly shocked that there hasn't been a group that is staging a similar protest to what you're referencing.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Radbot posted:

That explains it. Thanks.

That said, it's not that different from most other law reviews. They aren't scientific papers.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Radbot posted:

I'm honestly shocked that there hasn't been a group that is staging a similar protest to what you're referencing.

You mean the Huey P. Newton Gun Club?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I don't agree with his death penalty comments, but I wish the Duggar family had an uncle that was this willing to tell his kin to get hosed.

quote:

“He’s guilty as hell,” Carson Cowles, uncle of Dylann Roof, told the Los Angeles Times in a telephone interview.

quote:

His nephew is going to “ride the lightning,” Cowles told The Times, referring to the death penalty. “He’s going to pay for what he’s done. I’d pull the switch myself, if they’d let me.”

quote:

Roof’s mother is devastated, Cowles said, but he refused to comment further, saying it was a personal matter.

quote:

Cowles said the family was repelled by what his nephew is accused of doing. “He’ll get no sympathy from us, any of us.”
http://gawker.com/dylann-roofs-uncle-guilty-nephew-should-ride-the-li-1712590024

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah, why aren't there chapters in every city with a large black population, staging protests at various state capitols?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Guns should only belong to land owners. Just like voting.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Wales Grey posted:

I'm actually hoping for an increase of Black-on-White. :greenangel:

Trying to find numbers for this is a dangerous expedition into "Racist or not" link clicking. When one started off on how many cities black people built (shockingly the number was 0!) I knew I was in for a treat.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Kalman posted:

That said, it's not that different from most other law reviews. They aren't scientific papers.

Though they are certainly more ideological in their selection of submissions, and in the kind of works that people will submit to them. Every meeting of the HLS Federalists has some spiel about how tired all the conservatives must be from being surrounded by dag gurm libruls, it's fueled on siege mentality. From my experience most other law reviews go "hoo this sounds interesting and this professor has a stacked CV!"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Radbot posted:

Yeah, why aren't there chapters in every city with a large black population, staging protests at various state capitols?

Because they're not in the business of getting black people murdered by cops wholesale? How dumb are you, exactly?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Anybody have a link to info about the bond hearing? Or a link to a stream if it's still happening?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Amergin posted:

So you can't really "point to Western Europe" since Western Europe <> The USA.

I find it absolutely fascinating that you insist that Western Europe isn't comparable to the US, then immediately insist that Brazil is.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Trabisnikof posted:

They'd be great if it wasn't the same NOI bullshit that the current New Black Panthers are. Can we please get a black liberation movement that isn't run by Farrakhan?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Tempest_56 posted:

I find it absolutely fascinating that you insist that Western Europe isn't comparable to the US, then immediately insist that Brazil is.

He's got a point with wealth inequality.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Has there been anything said about whether Roof was the one who called in the bomb scares? This would be what shows whether he had accomplices or not.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Radbot posted:

Because they're not that effective at actually changing anything.

The Huey P. Newton Gun Club staged armed marches through the middle of some of the biggest media events they could and it barely got mentioned on twitter and a few blogs.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tempest_56 posted:

The US and Brazil are a lot more similar than say Spain or Belgium to the usa.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

In case people missed this or don't/can't mouse over links to see where this goes, it's the drat Onion. They appear to have completely dropped all pretense of satire and gone straight for the jugular of the NRA.

When was the last time the Onion didn't try to put a veneer of satire on something?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Radbot posted:

Here are the marches by the Huey P. Newton Gun Club in protest of police brutality.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

euphronius posted:

The US and Brazil are a lot more similar than say Spain or Belgium to the usa.

Depends on the metric. Gross GDP? Yes. HDI? No.

However, I'd argue Germany is a lot close to the US in many many metrics than Spain or Brazil.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Grundulum posted:

In case people missed this or don't/can't mouse over links to see where this goes, it's the drat Onion. They appear to have completely dropped all pretense of satire and gone straight for the jugular of the NRA.

When was the last time the Onion didn't try to put a veneer of satire on something?

Jan 2001, though that was by accident... Or was it? :tinfoil:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Not in diversity, size, resources, etc.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

DemeaninDemon posted:

He's got a point with wealth inequality.

Yeah, and most other metrics that correspond heavily to crime.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Taerkar posted:

Jan 2001, though that was by accident... Or was it? :tinfoil:

I know you're joking, but the GWB article you're referring to was still supposed to be funny. This article is such a stark departure from everything I've ever read by them that either someone is losing a job or they got approval from the highest levels.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

euphronius posted:

Not in diversity, size, resources, etc.

And Brazil doesn't match in development, standard of living, resources or economic sectors. Its almost as if...no two countries are exactly the same!

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Grundulum posted:

The Donald.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Grundulum posted:

gently caress Everything, Nation Reports

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Has anyone blamed mental illness yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Grundulum posted:

This is one of their best examples of just dropping satire and reporting honestly, because reality defeated them.

• Locked thread