Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
My emperor of Scandinavia run came to odd point. My Emperor dies and 3 kingdoms go to the son I wanted to be. The empire and fylkriate stays with my new player character.

I have one county and my brother is running all our ancestor's hard work >:c

I'm not even his Liege! How!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

verbal enema posted:

My emperor of Scandinavia run came to odd point. My Emperor dies and 3 kingdoms go to the son I wanted to be. The empire and fylkriate stays with my new player character.

I have one county and my brother is running all our ancestor's hard work >:c

I'm not even his Liege! How!

Gavelkind?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

kingturnip posted:

Comedy Republic option - a ruler-designed Zoroastrian somewhere in the British Isles.
This always makes me wish I could dictate laws for lesser titles I create easier; I want to be able to tell my dukes to follow tanistry, or primo or whatever. Or just not gavelkind, gently caress.

And to be able to create them with whatever laws I want if I have the qualifications for it.

Because Zoroastrian tanistry is hilarious yo. Finally, a use for all those genius kinswomen...

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Moridin920 posted:

Gavelkind?

Elective Monarchy.

Went from Scandinavia to Sweden. Just Sweden no Norge no Denmark no Finland.despite all those being created kingdoms under Scandinavia

And me with my one county empire.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
A bit late, but Light Infantry can be stupidly good if the other army goes too far in another direction. If too much of your army is something other than light infantry/archers/light cavalry, you will be annihilated by a stack that is entirely light infantry during the skirmish phase, and you'll never see your awesome troops close the gap. I've been on both sides of this equation.

Hadaka Apron posted:

What Merchant republics have you made in your games? I had one in Basra in my Saffarid game and one in Murcia in my Basque Spanish game.

I've made them in Brittany (on purpose) and Normandy (On accident), and I've had the AI form them in Valencia, Crete, and Tripolitania.

verbal enema posted:

Elective Monarchy.

Went from Scandinavia to Sweden. Just Sweden no Norge no Denmark no Finland.despite all those being created kingdoms under Scandinavia

And me with my one county empire.

You got an old save you can look at the laws/elections screen of all of your titles?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Veryslightlymad posted:

You got an old save you can look at the laws/elections screen of all of your titles?

yeah I'll take a look when I get home.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Hadaka Apron posted:

What Merchant republics have you made in your games? I had one in Basra in my Saffarid game and one in Murcia in my Basque Spanish game.

I made one in Gotland that had the whole of the Baltic / England and Northern Europe in its trade zome

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

verbal enema posted:

yeah I'll take a look when I get home.

If just one of your kingdoms has gavelkind, it will screw up your inheritance of all other titles.

Moon Slayer posted:

So do tribals need to be part of a reformed religion AND go feudal in order to get off of elective gavelkind? I just reformed the Romuva and I could swear the tooltip said that I'd have access to the other succession laws when I did.

Indeed, tribals can never have another succession law than elective gavelkind, just like unreformed pagans (except for Mongol ultimogeniture and Welsh tanistry). If you are an unreformed pagan tribal ruler, you need to reform the faith/change to Christian/Muslim/etc., AND you must adopt feudalism or become a merchant republic. But you can't become feudal/a doge while being an unreformed pagan anyway.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Oh are you guys talking about getting stupid with republic starts? No? Well have a bunch anyways. Some of these are just on my to-do list, while others I've actually done, and all of them are ironman compatible. I'll split them into two categories that I just named right now. "Hard capitals" which are games where you will finish the game with the same capital as where you first formed your republic, and "soft" capitals, which are games where you have the intention of making a certain kingdom or empire your primary title later in the game, and using your option to change your capital to that kingdom/empires de jure capital. Soft capitals can be abused real bad, because the ai will try and work for the "connected to capital" bonus based on your current capital. Not the one you intend to move to. So you can build up a trade zone surrounding your future capital that no other family will attempt to penetrate before you move, and leave them all hosed when you do move. I'm talking 50+ trade posts, all part of one trade zone that is completely connected to your capital. Stupid money. Basically all of these are achievable in the 769 and 867 starts, though the difficulty varies.

Tribal hard capitals

Scandinavia. Uppland, Sjaelland, and Jylland in particular. Each of these will provide 6 holding capitals, and a solid enough capital duchy to fill your personal holdings probably. Uppland is in by far the biggest duchy, and is the best republic start within Scandinavia imo. Starting as an unreformed pagan will require you to either convert to a non-pagan religion or reform the Germanic faith before forming a republic.

Saxony. The duchy of Holstein and it's republic capital of Lubeck is an awesome republic start. It has two 6 holding provinces in it, and it will let you form the titular kingdom of the Hansa once you've formed a republic. The Hansa is an actual republic in later start dates, so you can be historically accuratish if that's your thing by just forming the Hansa way earlier. It's the best Germanic start imo, but you have the Karlings to deal with.

Crimea. Oleshye is another 6 holding capital in a huge duchy. This is a super easy start in 867, but in 769, it is unbelievably hard. It's worth the effort however, because if you maintain steppe culture, you will get the extra steppe buildings in castles that provide a huge boost to your cav numbers. 4 personally owned castles in your capital boosted with those buildings will give you a hell of a personal levy. If you remain pagan, you'll also have the invasion cb, which is the most powerful cb in the game. tengri and germanic are both really good religions to have, tengri especially if you conquer east and get a lot more of the steppe within your realm because of the additional boost it provides to cav.

Massat/Marrakech. This one is easiest in 867 with the Idrisid dynasty. Massat is only 5 holdings so it really wouldn't make my list as a capital, but it's also the only de jure Muslim tribal lands, and it is part of the Marrakech duchy that includes Marrakech, a 7 holding non coastal county that owns hard. In 867, you start as a Sayyid, so the door is wide open for you to become the Caliph of whatever Islamic religion you choose to follow. Or get stupid and reform West African or something.

Ireland and Scotland. Ireland is great because you start as catholic, meaning no pagan reformation to worry about, and you can easily form a republic within your first rulers lifetime. Dublin is the biggest county in Ireland, and it's only 5 holdings. Scotland isn't any better. I wouldn't recommend these as long term capitals, but they are great starts for soft capital games, or getting walked through how to form a republic from a tribe. It's also really fun to form a republic in one of these countries, then convert to unreformed germanic. you won't be tribal, and you'll still get the huge unreformed germanic bonus to retinue cap.

Soft capitals.

Middlesex. De jure capital of the empire of Britannia. Essex is a great duchy, there's no republics who you have to compete with, Middlesex is a perfectly strong 6 holding county, and it's easily accessible from any tribal start. Not to mention that it's usually easy as hell to conquer since England is fractured. You can form an empire title prior to conquering Britannia without loving yourself over as well. This is by far the easiest, safest migration to attempt, and if you've never tried one before, this is where you start.

Barcelona. This one really depends on what happens with the Umayyad. They seem to collapse fairly regularly these days, in which case, you can easily swoop in and nab the kingdom of Aragon, make it your primary title, and then move to your de jure capital of Barcelona. 6 holding capital with more than enough holdings in the duchy to max out your personal holdings in castles.

Bordeaux. De jure capital of Aquitane. 6 holding capital, with 2 other 3 holding counties. Republics can't usurp titles from people of different religions, so you will have to completely conquer Francia before you can form the kingdom of Aquitane.

Provence. De jure capital of Burgundy. Same deal as Aquitane.

Tunis. De jure capital of Africa. I love the duchy of Tunis, and Africa has one of the best realm colors imo. This is a great place to migrate to as a germanic republic due to its proximity to plenty of sweet pillaging to be had.

Rome. De jure capital of the empire of Italia. Rome is a bit tricky in that there's two really sketchy variables that no other soft capital has. The first is that until you conquer it, the pope will own it, and he will poo poo all over it with temples and make it a crappy capital. You can circumvent this by starting as the king of Lombardy, instantly pressing a de jure claim on Rome, using every penny you earn to build castles in its empty holding slots, and then moving to Ireland to form your republic, with the intention of one day returning to conquer your bad mother fucker rear end capital. The baddest mother fucker rear end capital in the game, if you'd like to get technical about it. The other issue is that if the AI forms the HRE, the de jure empire of Italia disappears. There's still a way to make Rome your capital by using the "create roman empire" decision as the ruler of the Byzantine Empire, and while this is fun and achievable, it is a goddamn mess and it's not your weekend game by any means.

Honorable Mention

Brugge. Brugge is an interesting case in that it's a great 7 holding county, but it's also not the de jure capital of any kingdom or empire. It is however, the capital of the duchy of Flanders. So if you want to take on the Karling clown car and conquer Flanders without having so much as a king title to your name, go for it. It'd probably be a cool capital if you could pull it off.

Mecca and Sanaa both fit the same scenario, although they are only 6 holding counties. While it would be really cool to be the Caliph and to run a republic out of Mecca, there's a lot in those game starts that's going to be out of your hands.

India

Unfortunately, there is not one republic, and not one tribal holding anywhere in the southern coasts of the map, and the Suez doesn't exist yet, so moving your republic to the south is going to be a major hassle, and is only possible with a soft capital. The best way I've found to do this is to be a pagan with steppe culture, and use your invasion CB to conquer Egypt, Abyssinia, and Nubia. This will provide you with the boats you need to push on India, as well as personally owned land for your levies to walk across as they get off their boats in the Mediterranean and hop on their new ones in the Red Sea without eating a bunch of attrition. If you've done this, you've basically beat the game already, but if you push on, there's some pretty good poo poo over there in India that can make it worth your while.

Soft capitals

Debul. Right at the far south-eastern corner of the de jure Persian Empire lies the kingdom of Singh. It's de jure capital is Debul, a 6 holding county with like 6 counties in its duchy, Sauvira.

Sarasvata Mandala. De jure capital of Gujarat. Same situation as Debul, but they built a second temple in it because they're idiots.

Cholamandalam. You didn't conquer your way across the loving world for a lame 6 holding county. At the far south end of India lies the only capital worth your time if you've made it this far without ever creating an empire title. It's the de jure capital of Tamilakam, and is basically assured to be a great capital in the late game. It's only a 2 county duchy, but there's still enough holding slots to fill your personal domain, and who cares at that point in the game.

The "you might be able to circumvent all this bullshit and do anything you want at all" footnote

As a republic, you cannot move your capital, unless you are moving it to your de jure capital. This limits moving your current republic to places that are de jure capitals. However, you can establish a vassal republic as a feudal or tribal ruler in any coastal county you want, provided you own a city holding, the county title, and the duchy title of that county. Now if a character inherits a title that is equal or lower to his current title, his current title will remain his primary title. For example, if I'm the King of England, and my heir is the King of Scotland, then when my character dies, my heir will get the kingdom of England, but Scotland will still be his primary title. You can convert yourself to a republic this way. Lets say I own the duchy of Essex and the duchy of Kent, and every holding within them. I can grant my heir the city of London, then grant him the county of Middlesex (which will switch the capital of Middlesex to the city of London), and then grant him the duchy of Essex, which will have my heir forming a republic. So long as my heir still holds the ducal title of doge of Essex, when I die, he will inherit the duchy of Kent, but the republic will remain his primary title, and he will not become feudal. Through this, you can technically form a republic just about anywhere, which opens up great capitals like Basra, Brugge, Muscat, and Aden, and shittier capitals anywhere your little heart desires. The drawback is that your heir could die before you and his heir will become a patrician baron, which will make your transition to a republic much more of a pain in the rear end. You also cannot grant vassal republics King level titles. You can only "arrange" for them to make themselves kings. This means if you're a king, it's going to be pretty difficult to have your heir maintain his republic upon succession.

There's two mechanics that can help you out in this process. The first is caving to an "X for your kingdom" faction that would lower your primary title from a king title to a ducal title. The second is that if you have an equal or lesser rank than your doge heir right now, and you want to get the wait over with and inherit your republic while the getting is good, you can abdicate to him immediately by trying to imprison your vassals until one of them revolts, and then surrendering, which puts a little less guesswork in "I hope I die before my heir does."

And of course, if you don't wish to play ironman, just use the console to grant a city, county, and ducal title to an unlanded character in that order, and he'll form a republic in that county on day one.

Anyways, I've ranted long enough. Republics are awesome. Go play a republic.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 19, 2015

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is it possible to establish the Novgorod republic seeing as Novgorod isnt coastal?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baron Porkface posted:

Is it possible to establish the Novgorod republic seeing as Novgorod isnt coastal?

Anything can be a Republic if you just create it as a vassal, but it won't be playable unless it's got coastal access.

Something that just occurred to me - can Muslim merchant republics use any holding type without penalty? I mean feudal Muslims can use temples without the "Wrong holding type" penalty, and MRs can use both cities and castles. Or does one override the other?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Something that just occurred to me - can Muslim merchant republics use any holding type without penalty?

Yes.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Volkerball posted:

Middlesex. De jure capital of the empire of Britannia. Essex is a great duchy, there's no republics who you have to compete with, Middlesex is a perfectly strong 6 holding county, and it's easily accessible from any tribal start. Not to mention that it's usually easy as hell to conquer since England is fractured. You can form an empire title prior to conquering Britannia without loving yourself over as well. This is by far the easiest, safest migration to attempt, and if you've never tried one before, this is where you start.

Rome. De jure capital of the empire of Italia. Rome is a bit tricky in that there's two really sketchy variables that no other soft capital has. The first is that until you conquer it, the pope will own it, and he will poo poo all over it with temples and make it a crappy capital. You can circumvent this by starting as the king of Lombardy, instantly pressing a de jure claim on Rome, using every penny you earn to build castles in its empty holding slots, and then moving to Ireland to form your republic, with the intention of one day returning to conquer your bad mother fucker rear end capital. The baddest mother fucker rear end capital in the game, if you'd like to get technical about it. The other issue is that if the AI forms the HRE, the de jure empire of Italia disappears. There's still a way to make Rome your capital by using the "create roman empire" decision as the ruler of the Byzantine Empire, and while this is fun and achievable, it is a goddamn mess and it's not your weekend game by any means.

Brugge. Brugge is an interesting case in that it's a great 7 holding county, but it's also not the de jure capital of any kingdom or empire. It is however, the capital of the duchy of Flanders. So if you want to take on the Karling clown car and conquer Flanders without having so much as a king title to your name, go for it. It'd probably be a cool capital if you could pull it off.

All three of these are amazing. London is by far the easiest for a Germanic character, but Flanders is really good. And Rome is definitely doable, you just need to get it done in the first decade or so of the game. I guess you could also just park a bunch of raiders on it and wait for them to eventually burn down all the churches, but that could take a hundred years.

Also, make sure that if you do the London option you first convert to Welsh culture for the Longbow retinues.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SeaTard posted:

All three of these are amazing. London is by far the easiest for a Germanic character, but Flanders is really good. And Rome is definitely doable, you just need to get it done in the first decade or so of the game. I guess you could also just park a bunch of raiders on it and wait for them to eventually burn down all the churches, but that could take a hundred years.

Also, make sure that if you do the London option you first convert to Welsh culture for the Longbow retinues.

I'm pretty sure raiders will only burn down a holding if it's currently in construction. Once it's up, it's up. You can raid day one with your personal levies in the 867 start, but that costs money, and you'll quickly go into debt. You could park vassal levies and retinues on Rome indefinitely with no consequence, but the Pope may have built a church or two by the time you manage to get that set up, because it could take decades. De jure claiming Rome as Lombardy on day 1 in 769 is the only surefire way that I've thought up. And I always bounce between Welsh and Hungarian. The welsh cultural attack is amazing, but so is the invasion cb.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

:allears:

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Volkerball posted:

I'm pretty sure raiders will only burn down a holding if it's currently in construction. Once it's up, it's up. You can raid day one with your personal levies in the 867 start, but that costs money, and you'll quickly go into debt. You could park vassal levies and retinues on Rome indefinitely with no consequence, but the Pope may have built a church or two by the time you manage to get that set up, because it could take decades. De jure claiming Rome as Lombardy on day 1 in 769 is the only surefire way that I've thought up. And I always bounce between Welsh and Hungarian. The welsh cultural attack is amazing, but so is the invasion cb.

Nope! You have a chance to destroy a holding if it has no buildings left in it!

Though even with $$$pope bucks$$$ toned down, he is still pretty rich and build improvements pretty fast...even constantly being on fire probably wouldn't hurt his income enough to realistically get rid of one and almost certainly not more than one

It is pretty easy however to straight up take Rome in the first year or so with any of the 867 Norse starts that start with $500 and boats, it's also not terribly difficult to hold on to

TheBlackRoija fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 20, 2015

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I keep having trouble with the Warhammer mod-only parts 2&3 show up in the mods folder,while all 3 are in the game's Mods tab. Thing is,only 2&3 are available,and deleting&reinstalling them does not put part 1 in the folder. And before someone tells me to use the Paradox forums,I can't login due to the site insisting that I must wait a vague period of time before making a forum account.

Edit:sorted out now,had to use Opera for some obtuse reason.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 20, 2015

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Did you get version 0.6? That went up just now.

Download link here: http://www.mediafire.com/?y3e1kjfhkf41xxk

Skellybones fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 20, 2015

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Hadaka Apron posted:

I was actually thinking of starting as one of the existing Republics in-game without being tribal first, but I'll give Ireland a whirl.

I recommend Pisa 1066 because you have so many family members you can just crap all over the AI with trade posts, while you get to grips with the mechanics.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
So I invited a weak claimant to the HRE to my (Byzantine) court and matrilinear-married him to my daughter. They've now had a kid of my dynasty. I want to stab this guy so that the kid inherits the claim, which I will then press, making the HRE my vassal (because claimant is of my dynasty). Will this work, or am I misunderstanding something? Specifically I'm not sure what claims can and can't be inherited -- the tooltip is kind of confusingly worded.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Shadeoses posted:

Did you get version 0.6? That went up just now.

Download link here: http://www.mediafire.com/?y3e1kjfhkf41xxk

I downloaded the mod with steam, is it going to automatically update? Or do I need to do it manually?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

skasion posted:

So I invited a weak claimant to the HRE to my (Byzantine) court and matrilinear-married him to my daughter. They've now had a kid of my dynasty. I want to stab this guy so that the kid inherits the claim, which I will then press, making the HRE my vassal (because claimant is of my dynasty). Will this work, or am I misunderstanding something? Specifically I'm not sure what claims can and can't be inherited -- the tooltip is kind of confusingly worded.

He'll be an emperor, the same as you, so he'll be independent. If he has a claim to Germany or another Kingdom title, press that instead.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Charlz Guybon posted:

I downloaded the mod with steam, is it going to automatically update? Or do I need to do it manually?

I think subscribing should keep it updated, easy way to tell in game is if Lustria has been filled with terrain details.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

skasion posted:

It's easy to figure out. There is either "Will not be inherited unless pressed in war." in red text under "Weak claim on the Holy Roman Empire.", or "Can be inherited by successor." in green text under "Weak claim on the Holy Roman Empire.". If it's the latter, your grandchildren will inherit the claim, if it's the former they won't.

But your grandchildren won't be your vassals if you press their claim on the empire, since emperors can't be the vassal of other emperors. Instead, make one of your grandchildren your heir, (elective succession, or killing all your male children until your daughter inherits, etc.). Don't press the claim until you play the character with the claim, you will then be able to unite both realms.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I really hope CK3 is a little less reliant on the MTTH system for some of the councilor actions, if not other parts of the game. I wouldn't mind seeing things like religious conversion and claim fabrication changed to be more like their counterparts in EU4, where both actions make gradual progress as soon as you start them (claim fabrication would undoubtedly have to take a substantial amount of time and have its cost increased drastically). Giving one of the councilors the ability to convert a province's culture would be nice too, if only because it irks me that I've held the Duchy of Mallorca since the beginning of a 769 game and, even after I made it a point to put high stewardship characters in charge, the islands remain Visigothic and Catalan, while Alexandria converted over to my culture less than twenty years after I swiped it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Culture conversion is kind of weird because there's a bunch of restrictions on when it can and can't happen and how long it takes. For inherited titles, culture will NEVER convert unless there's already at least one adjacent province with your culture (with the exception of event-triggered culture flips like the Norse culture split or new cultures being created like Norman or English). For titles gained through wars, it can flag a "conquest culture" on the captured lands which allows them to flip to the conquering ruler's culture without any adjacent provinces. I don't know if this is applied universally, though, or if it only relates to certain CBs or cultures.

You can do culture conversion through councilors as a tribal with the "settle tribe" stewards get, but make sure you get that done before becoming a feudal or republic leader. Provincial culture doesn't really have a huge impact on the game anyway - cultural buildings and retinues are based on the culture of the ruler, not the county, there aren't any "liberate X" CBs (although there are liberation revolts) and I think even creating new vassals or courtiers is based on the ruler's culture, not the land. Having mismatched culture really just means there's a small revolt risk penalty.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Culture conversion is kind of weird because there's a bunch of restrictions on when it can and can't happen and how long it takes. For inherited titles, culture will NEVER convert unless there's already at least one adjacent province with your culture (with the exception of event-triggered culture flips like the Norse culture split or new cultures being created like Norman or English). For titles gained through wars, it can flag a "conquest culture" on the captured lands which allows them to flip to the conquering ruler's culture without any adjacent provinces. I don't know if this is applied universally, though, or if it only relates to certain CBs or cultures.

You can do culture conversion through councilors as a tribal with the "settle tribe" stewards get, but make sure you get that done before becoming a feudal or republic leader. Provincial culture doesn't really have a huge impact on the game anyway - cultural buildings and retinues are based on the culture of the ruler, not the county, there aren't any "liberate X" CBs (although there are liberation revolts) and I think even creating new vassals or courtiers is based on the ruler's culture, not the land. Having mismatched culture really just means there's a small revolt risk penalty.

I didn't know about the adjacent province requirement. Sounds like since I started the game with Mallorca and there aren't any neighboring provinces, I'll never actually see the culture change no matter who's in charge. I know province culture isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, and while I certainly wouldn't mind not having to march my armies into the Russia to put down my 15th peasant revolt, for me it's mostly just pretty border syndrome spilling over into other map modes. I'll paint this map pink yet.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Spakstik posted:

I really hope CK3 is a little less reliant on the MTTH system for some of the councilor actions, if not other parts of the game.
I want Ck3 not to have a poo poo to configure/sometime buggy message notification messages system. Also, is it asking too much to have a "ONLY LEADERS OF MY RELIGIOUS GROUP" option?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Adding to that, I really wish the game had a filter for "show me only characters who dislike their current liege and thus can be bribed to come to my court".

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
All I want is to have call to arms messages pause the game because nothing sucks worse than losing prestige and a good alliance because you just didn't notice in time.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I'm tribal Sunni Ghana in the 1066 start is there a reason I'm not seeing as to why it says the mosque in my personal demense is of wrong holder type?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

All I want is to have call to arms messages pause the game because nothing sucks worse than losing prestige and a good alliance because you just didn't notice in time.

As long as the war's still going on you can negate the penalty by manually going to the guy and doing Offer to Join War, can't you? Been a while since I've had to do this.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Eric the Mauve posted:

As long as the war's still going on you can negate the penalty by manually going to the guy and doing Offer to Join War, can't you? Been a while since I've had to do this.

Yeah but I think you still lose your alliance status or whatever so you won't be able to call him into a war later.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah but I think you still lose your alliance status or whatever so you won't be able to call him into a war later.

what? turning down a call to arms just gives you an opinion penalty. alliances are marriage-based and not diplomatic like EU.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

verbal enema posted:

I'm tribal Sunni Ghana in the 1066 start is there a reason I'm not seeing as to why it says the mosque in my personal demense is of wrong holder type?

Because you're still tribal.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Bloodly posted:

Because you're still tribal.

Lame

W/e that's all it does so idc

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Moridin920 posted:

My game does this, there should be a way to change the message priority for every message. I thought pausing the game for this one was the default.

After scrolling through the message settings, there's no... uh.... obvious one that says "Ally invites you to war". That's just bizarre.

EDIT: "Betrothal broken" is by default a low priority message, and doesn't even get a dingity-dingity sound effect? The gently caress? That's a pretty big deal.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Calls to war aren't messages per se, the way the game counts as messages (requests for marriages are the same way). They're a popup notification.

I agree it's 100% retarded that they work this way. Since letting them expire gets you the same penalty as telling your ally to piss off, there's no reason it shouldn't be a message set to "pause the game until I act" by default.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Yeah, man, the message just... doesn't seem to be in the message settings. As near as I can tell, either you switched it, or sometime between when You and I bought the game, it changed what the default priority was. Compounding things, I'm either completely unable to find the message or there's a bug/typo somewhere in the code where it isn't one of the changeable options. There's probably a way to console switch it or edit the file manually for the time being, but you'd want to ask one of the other guys in the thread who do those things.

Infuriatingly, the CK2 Wiki doesn't list related message settings for content it discusses. I feel like this is an oversight, and one that could be fixed with like, maybe an hour of work. Being able to change message priority should be a bit clearer.

EDIT^^^I thought pop-ups were the highest priority messages. Or is there YET ANOTHER type of pop-up that is distinct from the other pop-ups?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's a notification, not a message. A pop-up message pops up a window (such as when one of your councilors fires an event). Calls to war and marriage requests are notifications, the little circle icons that you see at the top of your screen ("Unmarried heir," "You can press de jure ducal claims," etc.) When one comes in you hear a door-opening sound affect as they appear with a "drop in" animation.

With a call to war you only get like a week to respond before the notification vanishes and you get hit with a Dishonored Alliance penalty, and it's pretty easy for this to happen if you're cruising along at high speed and distracted by something else. You can still go and manually offer to join the guy's war, but it's loving annoying for no good reason.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 21, 2015

• Locked thread