Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

When I hear that kind of declaration I personally think that its exactly analogous to a drug user telling people about their big plans to get clean tomorrow. Yeah, I'm shooting heroin right now but it's my last shot and starting tomorrow I'm going to quit and rebuild my life!

So I guess methadone == natural gas in this case? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Honj Steak posted:

The G7 states pledged to decarbonise completely in this century. There could be worse news.
Gonna go out on a limb and theorize that everyone who signed that thing is over the age of 50

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
"We will defeat this problem, I guarantee it, in whatever my life span is plus one year" - G7

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Honj Steak posted:

The G7 states pledged to decarbonise completely in this century. There could be worse news.

Oh, that's rather ambitious of them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Kinda old news, but our old friend Soon is under investigation by the science journals he published in for failing to disclose ties to the oil industry when he published his studies:

http://news.sciencemag.org/scientific-community/2015/06/journals-investigate-climate-skeptic-author-s-ties-fossil-fuel-firm-new

quote:

A half-dozen academic journals are investigating allegations that aerospace engineer Willie Wei-Hock Soon, a prominent skeptic of the idea that humans are contributing to global warming, failed to disclose financial ties to a fossil fuel company in papers they published. And the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) is examining fresh allegations—made in a report released today by the advocacy group Climate Investigations Center (CIC)—that Soon failed to follow disclosure rules in submitting a letter to that journal. The group has also raised questions about whether Soon followed disclosure policies in publishing recent papers in several other journals, including Nature Geoscience.

Today’s CIC report is a follow-on to documents released this past February by the Alexandria, Virginia–based nonprofit and the environmental group Greenpeace that attracted widespread media attention. The groups used a federal law that promotes transparency to obtain the documents from Soon’s employer, the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA) in Cambridge, Massachusetts, which detailed some of his funding sources. They include the Southern Co., a large energy concern that has opposed government action on climate change. The documents also showed that Soon had characterized a number of his technical publications as “deliverables” to Southern under a funding agreement with the company. In a statement at the time, Soon said he violated no rules, but the documents prompted the CfA and the Smithsonian Institution to open investigations into the matter.

CIC and Greenpeace also wrote letters to eight science journals and one law journal, noting that those papers did not disclose Soon’s financial ties to Southern. In each case, the groups asked whether the journal had policies requiring disclosure of potential conflicts of interest.

Today’s report describes how the journals have responded—and raises new questions about papers that Soon has published since 2012.

Six of the eight science journals told CIC they have conflict-of-interest policies; the remaining journals appear to have no policies, CIC says, or did not have policies at the time of Soon’s submissions. The Ecology Law Quarterly, published by the University of California School of Law, said the episode has prompted it to consider creating a conflicts disclosure policy for all of its journals.

I'm not a fan of Greenpeace, but enemy of my enemy etc. etc.

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/15/pope-francis-destruction-ecosystem-leaked-encyclical

quote:

At the start of the draft essay, the pope wrote, the Earth “is protesting for the wrong that we are doing to her, because of the irresponsible use and abuse of the goods that God has placed on her. We have grown up thinking that we were her owners and dominators, authorised to loot her. The violence that exists in the human heart, wounded by sin, is also manifest in the symptoms of illness that we see in the Earth, the water, the air and in living things.”

I like this guy, he's already got republicans spinning like tornadoes, can't wait for the final draft and big speech on Thursday.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

The Pope's encyclical on Climate Change has been published. The pope is also tweeting up a storm about it

I can't read the document from work, as our company blocks websites hosted outside of 'Murica, but maybe some of you work in places that don't block foreign websites, and can read the document.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Inglonias posted:

The Pope's encyclical on Climate Change has been published. The pope is also tweeting up a storm about it

I can't read the document from work, as our company blocks websites hosted outside of 'Murica, but maybe some of you work in places that don't block foreign websites, and can read the document.

His speech in front of congress is going to be amazing.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The document is a doozy, both in length and content. I am making my way through the encyclical very slowly, but according to professionals, these are the main points:
  • The document is not addressed to Catholics, as is traditional, or even the global Christian community. Instead, Francis opens the letter by pleading to the entire world. Global society needs to undergo an "ecological conversion";
  • The world needs to begin immediate plans to phase out petroleum and move to sustainable development. The burden for this transition rests with rich countries, "which are more powerful and pollute the most." The wealthy owe an "ecological debt" to the poor.
  • Tied to this statement, he accuses the rich and powerful of "concealing the symptoms of climate change" and taking only half-measures when forced by their people to do something. Climate change skeptics are obstructionists, preventing action on a crisis "unprecedented in human history";
  • Carbon credits are a joke, as are population controls. The plan to internationalize the Amazon Basin is doomed to failure. South America should instead focus on returning some control of the Amazon to indigenous populations;
  • Destroying the natural environment is a sin and in order to preserve out legacy for future generations, we need to make immediate lifestyle changes. He slams the developed world for its culture of waste and consumption. Turn off the lights when you leave the house, do not eat more than you need, take public transit, etc.
  • He proposes that very harsh controls be placed onto the oceans to stop pollution and the exploitation of resources there.

EDIT: Some excerpts from what is being described as the darkest and most foreboding encyclical in recent memory.

quote:

"Doomsday predictions can no longer be met with irony or disdain. We may well be leaving to coming generations debris, desolation and filth. The pace of consumption, waste and environmental change has so stretched the planet’s capacity that our contemporary lifestyle, unsustainable as it is, can only precipitate catastrophes, such as those which even now periodically occur in different areas of the world. The effects of the present imbalance can only be reduced by our decisive action, here and now. We need to reflect on our accountability before those who will have to endure the dire consequences."

quote:

"We all know that it is not possible to sustain the present level of consumption in developed countries and wealthier sectors of society, where the habit of wasting and discarding has reached unprecedented levels. The exploitation of the planet has already exceeded acceptable limits and we still have not solved the problem of poverty."

quote:

"...recent world summits on the environment have not lived up to expectations because, due to lack of political will, they were unable to reach truly meaningful and effective global agreements on the environment. A politics concerned with immediate results, supported by consumerist sectors of the population, is driven to produce short-term growth. In response to electoral interests, governments are reluctant to upset the public with measures which could affect the level of consumption or create risks for foreign investment. The myopia of power politics delays the inclusion of a far-sighted environmental agenda within the overall agenda of governments."

quote:

"Once more, we need to reject a magical conception of the market, which would suggest that problems can be solved simply by an increase in the profits of companies or individuals. Is it realistic to hope that those who are obsessed with maximizing profits will stop to reflect on the environmental damage which they will leave behind for future generations? Where profits alone count, there can be no thinking about the rhythms of nature, its phases of decay and regeneration, or the complexity of ecosystems which may be gravely upset by human intervention."

"Saving banks at any cost, making the public pay the price, foregoing a firm commitment to reviewing and reforming the entire system, only reaffirms the absolute power of a financial system, a power which has no future and will only give rise to new crises after a slow, costly and only apparent recovery. The financial crisis of 2007-08 provided an opportunity to develop a new economy, more attentive to ethical principles, and new ways of regulating speculative financial practices and virtual wealth. But the response to the crisis did not include rethinking the outdated criteria which continue to rule the world. Production is not always rational, and is usually tied to economic variables which assign to products a value that does not necessarily correspond to their real worth.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 18, 2015

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
The climate change deniers are going to either ignore this or say that the Pope is no scientist, so why should anyone care. (I know he has a degree in chemistry.)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mystic_Shadow posted:

The climate change deniers are going to either ignore this or say that the Pope is no scientist, so why should anyone care. (I know he has a degree in chemistry.)

Yeah, as much credibility as the Pope has, this is going to just probably blow over for the vast majority of deniers.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Anyone still denying the reality of climate change is never going to be swayed. The encyclical is not for them: it's a rallying cry for everyone else.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013
Thanks for the tl;dr, since I skipped over the story on news sites, it being the pope who said it. While he is right, I doubt that this document will be of any consequence; politicians aren't going to act because a religious figure told them what they've already been told by scientists for decades, and it is political action that is required to reduce the damage that is being done.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Vermain posted:

Anyone still denying the reality of climate change is never going to be swayed. The encyclical is not for them: it's a rallying cry for everyone else.

Sadly a large portion of first-world government officials and policy makers do not want to touch climate change with a ten-foot pole. "Everyone else" is just people with no power.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mystic_Shadow posted:

Sadly a large portion of first-world government officials and policy makers do not want to touch climate change with a ten-foot pole. "Everyone else" is just people with no power.

Okay.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Mystic_Shadow posted:

The Papacy possesses incredible agenda-setting powers and by talking about this issue, he forces other prominent leaders to either address or counter his remarks. It is doubtful that this encyclical will do much to convince true skeptics, but it raises climate change's profile as a major issue and adds pressure to upcoming discussions at the United Nations, where the Pope has sway.

It also has the added affect of framing the Pope's upcoming address at the U.S. Congress. Americans should be prepared for a lot of media fervor of over the issue as his arrival approaches.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 18, 2015

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Inglonias posted:

I selected everything and copied it to pastebin for you.

http://pastebin.com/eax3Zh6W

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Jeb Bush: "I don't think we should politicize our faith."

The gall is over 9000!

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
I seriously don't understand how people deny the 97% consensus. Seems like to me it's saying "hey, all these research papers that have been vetted for errors are all wrong because evil scientist conspiracy! I know more than all these scientists because Watts told me so!" Every dang person that I talk to that believes the consensus is fake goes to the conspiracy theory.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

James The 1st posted:

I seriously don't understand how people deny the 97% consensus. Seems like to me it's saying "hey, all these research papers that have been vetted for errors are all wrong because evil scientist conspiracy! I know more than all these scientists because Watts told me so!" Every dang person that I talk to that believes the consensus is fake goes to the conspiracy theory.

The Green Energy Lobby has bribed all of the scientists so that they can get kickbacks and pork-barrel spending from Liberal government. My tax dollars are being stolen by Liberals.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

James The 1st posted:

I seriously don't understand how people deny the 97% consensus.
A lot of people (probably everyone, for different topics) don't base their opinions on reality or on what the science says, but on what 'feels' right and causes the least emotional conflict. Then they rationalise it with conspiracy theories or their own 'research' or whatever.

Which is why throwing more facts at such people won't change their mind, because they weren't using facts to form those opinions in the first place.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

James The 1st posted:

I seriously don't understand how people deny the 97% consensus.

Because the alternative to denial would be accepting that a radical change in our way of life as a species has to occur.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

How are u posted:

The Green Energy Lobby has bribed all of the scientists so that they can get kickbacks and pork-barrel spending from Liberal government. My tax dollars are being stolen by Liberals.

:bahgawd: "But let's keep subsidizing the oil industry, they won't abuse us, oh no."

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
The current mass extinction event is the fastest ever, even by conservative estimates.

http://gu.com/p/4ax8d

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013
Finally, some good news for once! The world is NOT actually getting warmer:

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/201505 posted:

The combined average temperature over global land and ocean surfaces for May 2015 was the highest for May in the 136-year period of record, at 0.87°C (1.57°F) above the 20th century average of 14.8°C (58.6°F), surpassing the previous record set just one year ago by 0.08°C (0.14°F). This ties with February 1998 as the fourth highest monthly departure from average for any month on record. The two highest monthly departures from average occurred earlier this year in February and March, both at 0.89°C (1.60°F) above the 20th century average for their respective months.

The average global temperature across land surfaces was 1.28°C (2.30°F) above the 20th century average of 11.1°C (52.0°F), tying with 2012 as the highest May temperature on record.

For the oceans, the May global sea surface temperature was 0.72°C (1.30°F) above the 20th century average of 16.3°C (61.3°F), the highest for May on record, surpassing the previous record set last year by 0.07°C (0.13°F).

The first five months of 2015 were the warmest such period on record across the world's land and ocean surfaces, at 0.85°C (1.53°F) above the 20th century average, surpassing the previous record set in 2010 by 0.09°C (0.16°F). Consequently, 2010 was the last year with El Niño conditions; however El Niño was ending at this point in 2010, while it appears to be maturing at the same point in 2015.

The average global sea surface temperature for the year-to-date was the highest for January–May in the 136-year period of record, surpassing the previous record of 2010 by 0.01°C (0.02°F). while the average land surface temperature was also record high, surpassing the previous record of 2007 by 0.05°C (0.09°F).[b]

Oh... wait...

Arcane, could you please explain this for me? I think this is evidence that global warming is real, but I'm sure that you can correct me.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Honj Steak posted:

The current mass extinction event is the fastest ever, even by conservative estimates.

Faster than K-Pg? That's worrying, to say the least.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Placid Marmot posted:

Oh... wait...

Arcane, could you please explain this for me? I think this is evidence that global warming is real, but I'm sure that you can correct me.

Why bother? It's always the same thing and it's not even entertaining anymore. Whenever he posts, just reply to him asking for the name of an oceanographer who says that our oceans aren't hosed.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

68k posted:

Because the alternative to denial would be accepting that a radical change in our way of life as a species has to occur.

Deployment of nuclear power as a governmental imperative?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Placid Marmot posted:

Oh... wait...

Come on man, it's not the world isn't getting hotter, it's just that the estimates for how hot it will be in 50-100 years are way off, because the temperature hasn't been tracking those estimates for a while and are flat. That's his shtick.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Honj Steak posted:

death is certain

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Ecuador had leased a third of its Rainforest to China for oil in 2013

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/ecuador-selling-its-rainforest-to-china-2013-3

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Mystic_Shadow posted:

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, as much credibility as the Pope has, this is going to just probably blow over for the vast majority of deniers.

Come on guys, this is a pretty stupid position to take. You yourself would state "It's only the pope, what does he know and why should we care?", if he said global warming isn't a thing.

Anyone that isn't religious isn't going to give a drat about the pope.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Batham posted:

Come on guys, this is a pretty stupid position to take. You yourself would state "It's only the pope, what does he know and why should we care?", if he said global warming isn't a thing.

Well I think it's fairly obvious that the assumption is that most climate change deniers are also religious. Obviously the overlap is far from 100%, but I'd wager it's pretty high.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Batham posted:

Of course not. Non-Catholics will not listen to whatever the Pope has to say. I was just hoping that the people who think that 99% of scientists are part of some conspiracy to steal grant money from the government would listen to someone who has little scientific expertise but actually can channel God or whatever.

Very few people are authorities on the topic, which I think is part of the reason why people would rather trust their gut feeling that the Earth is fine than listen to the few hundreds of climatologists working on the topic every single day.

But yeah if the Pope said "climate change isn't real" I would trust the climatologists, not the Pope. But since the Pope does agree with the climatologists, I'm hoping that his encyclical can change a few people's minds.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
It might be helpful. If the Pope had said a similar thing twenty years ago the debate might be different now. From the Pope's point of view its almost irrelevant. He 's duty bound to comment on the great moral issues of the day.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Batham posted:

Catholicism is a huge religion so it's kind of important when the pope says something. I've also met a poo poo load of practicing Catholics that have been extremely conservative. Like it or not but when the pope comes out and says "hey conservatives you're being shits" it's kind of a big deal because he's speaking directly to his followers. The pope saying that Christians should probably be more liberal is a way bigger deal than you think. It isn't about what he's an expert on it's about who is listening. Him coming out in opposition to some of the major conservative talking points of the day is huge.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Catholicism is a huge religion so it's kind of important when the pope says something. I've also met a poo poo load of practicing Catholics that have been extremely conservative. Like it or not but when the pope comes out and says "hey conservatives you're being shits" it's kind of a big deal because he's speaking directly to his followers. The pope saying that Christians should probably be more liberal is a way bigger deal than you think. It isn't about what he's an expert on it's about who is listening. Him coming out in opposition to some of the major conservative talking points of the day is huge.

The problem is that conservatives in the US have already been basically telling the Pope to gently caress off. His comments regarding inequality and his implied stance against hatred of gays ("who am I to judge") produced similar reactions. To them, agreement is moral while dissent suddenly makes the morality political instead. So, when the Pope says "hey, this planet is a gift from the almighty and we're destroying it out of sheer greed, how do you think that looks from above" their response was a fully predictable "stay the gently caress away from politics, your holiness." It doesn't help that the religious right wing in the US is already prejudiced against the Pope due to being overwhelmingly Protestant.

I can't speak for those in other countries but I wouldn't be surprised if their reception was similar.

:smith:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

The problem is that conservatives in the US have already been basically telling the Pope to gently caress off. His comments regarding inequality and his implied stance against hatred of gays ("who am I to judge") produced similar reactions. To them, agreement is moral while dissent suddenly makes the morality political instead. So, when the Pope says "hey, this planet is a gift from the almighty and we're destroying it out of sheer greed, how do you think that looks from above" their response was a fully predictable "stay the gently caress away from politics, your holiness." It doesn't help that the religious right wing in the US is already prejudiced against the Pope due to being overwhelmingly Protestant.

I can't speak for those in other countries but I wouldn't be surprised if their reception was similar.

:smith:

I imagine the religious right in America is just furious that they're going to lose some Catholic votes over it. Plus there are a lot of protestants who still listen to the pope. Like I said a major political leader saying those sorts of things gets a lot of attention and the words he is using speak very strongly to even the non-religious. Here is a very influential figure publicly standing up and saying "hey you know can we all pull together and be less greedy? We have to live on this rock let's at least take care of it. We should probably hate less too I mean you guys are being serious jerks." It's a huge deal because here is a very visible, very influential religious leader actually trying to be Christ-like.

The other reason it's a huge deal is because the American religious right has bought into the prosperity gospel something fierce. The bigger problem is that the pope is taking a contrary view to what they believe. This is a very authoritarian movement that believes all dissent must be destroyed and silenced. Suddenly they have an enemy but they can't just go "well he's a Muslim of course he's a poo poo" because he is, you know, the pope. The reason they're furious is because people listen to the pope. He is deliberately yanking the entirety of Christianity to the left when he does the things he's doing while deliberately countering the base arguments of the religions right. These are people that run on spite, hatred, and greed and the pope is telling the world Jesus would not like that very much.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Batham posted:

I'm an atheist and this pope has made me take notice. He's an impressive moral leader, we just happen to disagree on a few things. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I'm an atheist and this pope has made me take notice. He's an impressive moral leader, we just happen to disagree on a few things. :v:

Were you on the fence about climate change previously?

• Locked thread