Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Clinton's campaign so far has been pretty drat leftist, compared to recent major Dem candidates. She's talking about stuff that Obama didn't even bother with.

Sure, I get that it's cool to go on about how the two parties are basically the same and only Ron Paul Bernie Sanders can break the cycle of violence, but perhaps there's a chance of having a reasonably leftist candidate that can actually win next year (hint: not Bernie).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Anorexic Sea Turtle posted:

I get where you're coming from, but I just don't see Hillary pulling every bit of her power to fundamentally change the way our politics works, unlike Sanders. Hillary doesn't seem too keen on pushing the senate (or governors) to call for a national amendment to reform campaign finance and she sure as hell doesn't seem to mind the large paychecks from corporations. I realize that she can't directly accomplish these things, but she can definitely throw some influence if she wanted to, but by doing this, she'd be shooting herself in her own foot since she's the benefactor of a large amount of these broken finance laws.

I also don't see her appointing a strong cabinet to enforce some of the existing laws that are constantly violated: EPA, FEC, FCC, Attorney General, Sec. of Treasury who oversees FSOC, the list goes on.

Lastly, she's firmly a capitalist and I'm not with that poo poo, but that's personal and not at all something I'm going to get the entire country to agree with me on.
I actually suspect Hillary would at least keep on some of Obama's folks. After all this hassle with Loretta Lynch, why not keep her on?

I would agree with you that Hillary is less likely to push for massive change than Bernie. Personally I think this means what she does push for is more likely to stick - and maybe she'd push for more than you might think. The pendulum may be swinging leftwards for real.

quote:

I agree with you sooooo much, but I just can't justify voting another #leastevilcandidate.

I don't disagree that she would be net positive if elected. If she wins the primary, I'm likely to vote for her (because I'm too chickenshit to vote a 3rd party) even if I want more.

Also, the thought of invading Iran is the scariest poo poo.
Yeah, this is a lot for me too. Hillary could literally be Obama Terms 3 and 4, and while I wouldn't be thrilled, this could reload the Supreme Court with non-shitheads and probably won't lead to an even larger ground war in the Middle East.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

MC Nietzche posted:

Unless America is straight out 9/11 style attacked again there is a 0% chance President H. Clinton starts a war. At worst she will probably continue Obama's drone policy.

Clinton was one of the biggest proponent of American involvement in Libya during her tenure in the State Department, over the objections of the Defense Department.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Would Sanders probably continue overseas bombing?

Absolutely.

Nessus posted:

I actually suspect Hillary would at least keep on some of Obama's folks. After all this hassle with Loretta Lynch, why not keep her on?

I would agree with you that Hillary is less likely to push for massive change than Bernie. Personally I think this means what she does push for is more likely to stick - and maybe she'd push for more than you might think. The pendulum may be swinging leftwards for real.

The question is what would actually be "leftward change" for most cabinet posts?

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

No. Costs too much money. We could be feeding the poor with that money.

That being said, I don't think we've heard much of anything on what he'd do with Afghanistan other than "we should stop loving over Afghanistan and other countries."

From what I've seen, he's pretty much your college liberal in terms of foreign policy:

http://www.ontheissues.org/international/Bernie_Sanders_Foreign_Policy.htm

^^Nothing special

http://www.alternet.org/election-2016/bernie-sanders-troubling-history-supporting-us-military-violence-abroad

^^He's mainstream Democrat

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/01/us/politics/bernie-sanders-on-the-issues.html?_r=0

^^ More milquetoast poo poo

He needs to DTR with foreign policy soon.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Clinton was one of the biggest proponent of American involvement in Libya during her tenure in the State Department, over the objections of the Defense Department.

You know that's a really loving fair point. Then again, the US didn't start the Libyan insurgency, and hardly any US troops were involved.

Though I have no idea what Sanders' stance on drones are, but I'd be willing to bet it's "they're bad and we should stop using them." That's a WAG though.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Rick Perry just called Charleston an "accident" before blaming it on prescription meds.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Y'all are gonna love Bernie's position on Israel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K437Zd-gM0

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Rick Perry just called Charleston an "accident" before blaming it on prescription meds.

Oops!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Supraluminal posted:

I know, I wasn't rebutting you. Just offering my opinion on the situation.

:cheers:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

My fb version was

Rick Perry just called Charleston an "accident", blamed it on prescription meds, lack of education and...uh...and....uhhhhh...

Oops

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The "accident" or Rick Perry calling it that? Wasn't his post-facto excuse last year that he was out of his gourd on powerful pain meds for a hosed-up back while he was on the campaign trail?

Joementum posted:

Just lost the LF vote.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Joementum posted:

He's actually come out pretty nuanced on the subject.

http://www.bustle.com/articles/79871-bernie-sanders-stance-on-israel-has-caused-some-tension-for-him-in-the-past

Post modern as gently caress.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Unless Israel drops a nuke on Gaza, no politician in our lifetime is ever going to criticize Israel. Even then, they'd probably just say Israel has the right to protect itself.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

The Insect Court posted:

The "accident" or Rick Perry calling it that? Wasn't his post-facto excuse last year that he was out of his gourd on powerful pain meds for a hosed-up back while he was on the campaign trail?

Just lost the LF vote.

The "accident" was caused by them, not the verbal fart. Could be both but he only said the one.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

I'm literally in tears with admiration for the political process of Vermont.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Joementum posted:

That video is much more informative regarding his position on hecklers than his position on Israel.

But yeah, he's (somewhat surprisingly) not super-duper left-wing on foreign policy and military issues. My understanding is that he supports US airstrikes against ISIS while simultaneously pushing for Muslim countries in the area (e.g. Saudi Arabia) to take on the lead in the fight, for example.

My gut feeling is that he's probably a little more hawkish than I am, but a lot less so than Clinton - who (the consensus seems to be) is more bellicose than Obama, which honestly is saying something for a "liberal" candidate.

SedanChair posted:

I'm literally in tears with admiration for the political process of Vermont.

To be fair to the guy, those people were being lovely. He lost his cool, but at the same time he wasn't unreasonable in asking that they not yell out interruptions while he's talking.

Supraluminal fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 19, 2015

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
"The second Democratic candidate to go before a gathering of Latino officials this week, presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders dedicated much of his speech to immigration reform saying it's time for the country to stop playing the native born against immigrants."
... " Sanders took a swipe at Clinton and her record on immigration views, saying that when tens of thousands of children arrived on the border from Central America and Mexico last spring and summer, there were "so many voices" calling for sending the children back home like a package, "marked return to sender." "During the crisis, Clinton had said children who lacked a legitimate claim to asylum should be sent back to their countries of origin."
"The U.S. has always been a haven for the the oppressed. Is there any group more vulnerable than children?" Sanders said."

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Somebody quick, stick a mic in the face of Huckabee, Santorum, Carson and especially Paul and ask about the persecution of christians in foreign lands and what they are going to do about it.

quote:

A fire believed to have been started by Jewish extremists has badly damaged a church on the Sea of Galilee built on the site where Christian tradition holds that Jesus performed the miracle of feeding five thousand people with two fish and five loaves of bread.

I stole this article from Josef K. Sourdust in the RWM thread.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Supraluminal posted:

That video is much more informative regarding his position on hecklers than his position on Israel.

But yeah, he's (somewhat surprisingly) not super-duper left-wing on foreign policy and military issues. My understanding is that he supports US airstrikes against ISIS while simultaneously pushing for Muslim countries in the area (e.g. Saudi Arabia) to take on the lead in the fight, for example.

My gut feeling is that he's probably a little more hawkish than I am, but a lot less so than Clinton - who (the consensus seems to be) is more bellicose than Obama, which honestly is saying something for a "liberal" candidate.

Of course "More bellicose than Obama" is loving dove-like compared to anyone on the R side, even Trump. Considering Bush III has as many of his dad's and brother's advisors working for him as he can get, I'm pretty sure his presidential plan is "invade the mid-east again, as soon as I can find/manufacture an excuse."

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Responding to the guy/girl who posted about electoral rights being one of the most important issues, Clinton has been pretty vocifierous about electoral reform and automatic registration. Her plank so far taken as a whole is solidly slightly left of the Democratic party consensus.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Sanders is at least as good on minority and immigrant issues as Hillary. Maybe if he keeps talking up his accomplishments in those areas the morons who equate rhetoric with action will shut up.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is there any surprise a 70 year old Jewish man is pro-Israel?

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Shageletic posted:

Responding to the guy/girl who posted about electoral rights being one of the most important issues, Clinton has been pretty vocifierous about electoral reform and automatic registration. Her plank so far taken as a whole is solidly slightly left of the Democratic party consensus.

I know she has, and I appreciate that as far as it goes. Ultimately I don't trust her as much as I do Sanders. She's the epitome of an establishment politician, beholden (at least in part) to the usual rich and powerful players, and I don't feel I can take her at her word as readily. I think she's probably doing the usual primary dance of flirting with the wing before trending back to the center. Whatever you may think of Sanders, though, I don't think you can accuse him of inconsistency.

I will grant that on the specific issue of election reform/registration expansion, Clinton probably genuinely would like to execute on what she says, because it's just so obviously good long-term political strategy for the left.

Feather posted:

Sanders is at least as good on minority and immigrant issues as Hillary. Maybe if he keeps talking up his accomplishments in those areas the morons who equate rhetoric with action will shut up.

And there's this, although I wouldn't necessarily phrase it that way. His generally excellent record aside, it's important for him to talk about those issues in the campaign, both to win and to give them the public attention they deserve. Which he has begun doing more of.

I actually think it was brilliant politics (if maybe unintentional) for him to start with such a singularly focused message. He's fighting an incredible uphill battle in terms of funding and name recognition, and beating that economic drum so loudly was a good way to get a toehold. He will probably have to branch out a bit as he goes, though.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

DOOP posted:

He was not all that pleased when questioned on his non-existent dual citizenship with Israel.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

DOOP posted:

But we aren't dreaming of a seventy year old Jewish man. We're dreaming of a great savior, a figure - Bernie! Bernie will do it. Bernie will save us, or at least absolve us if he failed, because we tried for the Real Authentic Guy.

Or at least a fair number of folks seem to be. Hilariously this is kind of how a few people got with Obama... personally, I got about what I expected out of Obama.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Feather posted:

Sanders, who is a cool dude and an excellent senator, is badly let down by his supporters wildly attacking people who say that he can stand to learn some stuff on minority issues.

Sanders is from an area that doesn't really have to deal with minority or immigration issues. His votes in the senate on this have been fine. So have Clintons'. Rhetoric is actually important, as responding to the Ferguson shootings with talk about employment and poverty, while not horrible, evil, bad, racist, etc., is tone-deaf and doesn't demonstrate that he understands that racism is something that goes deeper than class issues--poverty and unemployment in the black community are because of racism, not because of classism.

I fully believe that Sanders is capable of becoming a great leader on minority issues. In order to do this, he needs to meet with black leaders and talk about incarceration and the justice system in non-economic terms. Increased general prosperity still leaves black people behind, as the GI bill showed.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The screen that Ted Cruz speaks in front of with his name all over it is adorable :allears:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Obdicut posted:

Sanders is from an area that doesn't really have to deal with minority or immigration issues.

Look at how wrong you are.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams
How mad is Drudge at his boyfriend for wanting to lead the issues on Gun Control?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/evanmcsan/martin-omalley-launches-major-post-charleston-gun-control-pu#.cpnz5K1e95

(If this was posted, apologies. )

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

You can hear them at night, sharpening their skates. They come over via the frozen lakes and canals. They have calves the size of extra-large-servings of poutine. That's why I'm in favor of global warming; it'll slow the advance of the syrup-drenched Canuck invaders.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I have a feeling that almost anyone who makes it into the White House is going to at least partially continue overseas bombing. It's an easy and, probably, tempting solution for a lot of problems. It's like a lot of Executive power issues where people are against them until they're the President, then suddenly they make a whole lot of sense. Especially since they don't notice the bubble forming around them that is inherent to being President, limiting outside opinions and reinforcing decisions already made.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Also it's not like Russia is going to de-annex Crimea or disinvade Eastern Ukraine, or China going to unclaim those islands and raising hell aobut it, or a variety of ethnic/religious/economic conflicts in the Middle East and Africa are going to just disappear, as soon as the Good and Right and Proper President takes office. I'm not sure I want a President who will be ideologically opposed to the use of military force, because they are going to compromise, except you don't know how because they said they'd never do it, period.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Supraluminal posted:

Not good enough. We need to be making active progress on (for example) climate change, wealth inequality, and election reform immediately and urgently. These are fights that we lose critical ground on every day that passes in which we "make things no worse." There are some issues that trend gradually in the progressive direction if we just hold the line - although we should never be satisfied with that, come on! - but others don't work that way.

And what? President Bernie is going to suddenly get decades-entrenched Congresscritters to throw down the oppressive weight of their corporate overlords and do the right thing? Rewrite the Constitution to fundamentally alter how the electoral process works? What you're talking about would require an en mass alteration of more or less the entire US political system from the state (in some cases, local) level upwards. You're talking about a revolution, not an election.

Look, support the guy, vote for him, give him all you're able to. But don't lose sight of what the results are likely to be.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Anorexic Sea Turtle posted:

No. Costs too much money. We could be feeding the poor with that money.

It's not like the budget is a big pile of money that can be used at a whim.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Obdicut posted:

Sanders, who is a cool dude and an excellent senator, is badly let down by his supporters wildly attacking people who say that he can stand to learn some stuff on minority issues.

I'm sorry, I have trouble understanding condescension, especially from people who spout talking points, dismiss arguments out of hand, try to pass that off as rigorous debate, and then get butt-hurt when they're subsequently ignored. But, do go on. :allears:

quote:

Rhetoric is actually important, as responding to the Ferguson shootings with talk about employment and poverty, while not horrible, evil, bad, racist, etc., is tone-deaf and doesn't demonstrate that he understands that racism is something that goes deeper than class issues--poverty and unemployment in the black community are because of racism, not because of classism.

Well, you're half right about the cause of poverty and unemployment in the black community. Just like Sanders is half right about it, as I've noted multiple times.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Shageletic posted:

For real, she called out GOP governors for suppressing the vote in their states.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Rand Paul: Bureaucrat Hunter

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
that's real isn't it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
i mean i remember reading him making a statement about "blowing up the IRS" after the whole "Destroy the Washington machine" and wondering if his campaign was going to just keep escalating the imagery of leveling DC as we know it and here we are

• Locked thread